Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
228 user(s) are online (189 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  CFI
Cross Fire Injection. Method of fuel delivery in the L82 motor. The 1984 is the only C4 to use the L82. This is the same engine used in the 1982 C3. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Progress on the 79 project car
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Well, I got a chance to work on the car today. I figured I'd post my original list and post as I kind of get things checked off. The list will grow as I find more things to fix. It already started growing You will see what has been done by what is crossed out.

To Do:

install new radio
troubleshoot antenna
check coolant temp sensor
replace front d/s caliper
front pads
bleed brakes
check brake light warning lamp
install starter blanket
replace upper radiator hose

repair tachometer
replace burnt out dash bulbs
remove/clean d/s door lock motor
reinstall door panels
troubleshoot reception/install booster
replace CTS
repair wiring for p/s window
run hot wire for antenna
diagnose wiper delay relay/module
check rear defroster
remove rear window tint
replace all bushings
front diff seal
starter rebuild
coolant flush
new thermostat
repair p/s window switch
diagnose rear d/s caliper leak.
remove/clean p/s door lock
diagnose/repair power door locks (non-functioning)

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/5 2:09

Matatk Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Started today at around 8 am. I already removed the old alpine that was damaged and started the wiring. Old alpine was never hooked up to the antenna for some reason and I couldn't find the trigger wire.

Photobucket

Had to do a little surgery and open up the entire console to find it. For future reference, anyone looking it is a yellow wire and you can trace it back to the antenna relay under the parking brake.

Photobucket

Glad I opened up the center console. I found several wiring harnesses not even attached. WTF? Bubba was here....

Turns out this one is related to the anti-theft system....which has been disabled in this car in multiple places

Photobucket

The black one on the left I disconnected - that goes to the gauge cluster. The black one on the right is for the hvac controls....now they work properly:

Photobucket

Once I got the trigger wire hooked up (and knocked the relay a couple times to loosen up the oxidation inside) I could hear the relay trigger from the stereo turning on. Still no antenna, so onto that.

Here's what I found:

Photobucket

Hmmmmm....cut wires with no factory connections and a bubbafied mounting bracket. This looks interesting. Turns out the antenna is an aftermarket universal replacement with a two wire hookup as opposed to the factory three wire. From playing with it I determined the antenna works off of one constant hot wire with a trigger wire and has internal limits for up and down. One more thing to add to the list since the factory wiring won't work now....

On top of that, there is horrible reception (with both radios). Antenna is hooked up and wire is connected. I have no idea why. I might have to put a signal booster on it. Do all C3s have poor reception? Add it to the list.

Decided to move onto wiring in the engine. There is a CTS in the block, but it has the wrong connection terminal. Should be a flat male blade. So I tried to hook it up to see if it will work:

Photobucket

Good news is that the gauge starting working once hooked up. Bad news is that the CTS is the wrong one and the reading is completely wrong. Unfortunately GM discontinued the correct sensor so I have to find an after market one. That and remove the headers to get it out. This should be a fun job....add it to the list.

How about a quick job I couldn't screw up? Starter blanket. Went on in about 30 seconds. Awesome. After the test drive I tried to restart again. Did better than before but looks like the starter is shot. Add it to the list.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next on the agenda was brakes. The "check brakes" light was illuminated on the dashboard at all times. I checked the front brakes and the p/s caliper was replaced recently before the car was parked. D/S appeared to have uneven pad taped from the pistons so I decided to replace it. Remaned caliper at AZ is $63, so I picked that up with some new pads from carquest.

Old:

Photobucket

New:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also bled the front and rears. Rear p/s might have a seal leak, not sure. Rear d/s was replaced at some point in the last 10 years or so and seems to be fine. No leaks in the lines that I could tell, but when underneath the car I noticed the front seal for the diff has a small leak that is covering the bottom of the car. Add it to the list.

From the FSM found out the brake light on the dash is related to the parking brake or the brake pressure switch mounted in a junction box under the m/c. Disconnected it and determined the light is a faulty switch or ground in the line (per FSM). No parts store had it, probably discontinued and it'll stay unhooked.

After I was all done I took it for a test drive. Rolled the windows down, but couldn't get the p/s back up. Pulled the console again, the wire for the up control had broken out of the connector. Add it to the list.

As you can see, for every job I finish, two more go on the list. Oh well, they don't call it a project for nothin'!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/5 2:29

bogus Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

gee... when does the blown 502 go in?
Posted on: 2009/10/5 2:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
gee... when does the blown 502 go in?

As soon as you crate it up and ship it to my house
Posted on: 2009/10/5 2:32

bogus Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Ah, that long.

Looks like you will need to invest in wire and a good soldering iron. The wiring is a major league hack job.

For an iron, I HIGHLY recommend the Weller SP80. Kicks ASS. About $30.00 at Home Depot, Lowes or online. Do not get one of those fancy soldering stations, either. Not worth it...

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-Medium-D ... older-SP80L/dp/B00002N7S3

I also get wiring supplies from these guys:

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Default.aspx

That ugly blue blade connector has gotta go!!! blech!

you also need one of these:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12 ... 00P?keyword=wire+stripper

The best strippers ever made!
Posted on: 2009/10/5 2:56

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pianoguy Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Keep chipping away at it, Matt - eventually the list will start to shrink ;-)
Posted on: 2009/10/5 3:16

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

skirlin Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

ADD and old age must be gaining on me because I don't recall seeing a thread about you having a C3 project car. Very cool. Where can I see pics?
Posted on: 2009/10/5 3:20

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

I have a soldering iron, wire supplies, tools up the wazoo. Not a big deal there. I was lying in bed thinking about the radio and I'm gonna run a new ground and see if that helps the reception. 90% of radio problems are the ground anyway. That's for later. I'm not allowed to work on it during the work week, only on the weekend, so it'll wait.

Skirlin - seems nobody saw that post, here it is:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=9803&forum=50

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/5 11:38

BrianCunningham Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

nice progress
Posted on: 2009/10/5 13:46

BillH Re: Progress on the 79 project car
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I also get wiring supplies from these guys:

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Default.aspx

Andy, have you bought ring terminals from them? I was wondering what brand, the catalog isn't very good. My supply of free samples is finally running out. Looking for the rings with the insulation crimp (that's all I will use).
Posted on: 2009/10/5 22:40

skirlin Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

Quote:

Skirlin - seems nobody saw that post, here it is:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=9803&forum=50

Matthew

AhHa, I do remember this post just didn't remember it was you. Will be your dad's, very cool. It looks like a great project car. Love the pics, keep em coming. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2009/10/6 5:02

Curtis1974 Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Looks good Matthew. Looks like you've been busy. These C3's will keep you busy. I don't think you can ever be done. I started out with a list like this and six years later I'm still working on it.
Posted on: 2009/10/6 15:41

Trae1976 Re: Progress on the 79 project car
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:
These C3's will keep you busy. I don't think you can ever be done. I started out with a list like this and six years later I'm still working on it.

The "fix-it" list is just the infant stage of the "upgrade-it" list. It gets more fun as you go.
Posted on: 2009/10/6 21:09

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Added more to the list as I was thinking about stuff today....lol.
Posted on: 2009/10/7 0:14

Epimax Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Making progress! Sweet!
Posted on: 2009/10/9 1:45

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Ok, time to update this. After my nightmare saga with the mini-starter that turned out to be my own lack of correct troubleshooting causing me problems. After installing the new mini-starter and not having it worked, I swapped it out several times and even disassembled it to no avail. Turned out the problem was a discharged battery and dirty negative ground to the frame. Charged and cleaned it was good to go. Minor grinding even with the shims, so I need to get the missing rear bracket.

Starters old vs new:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Correct bolts:

Photobucket

Bench testing new starter (unnecessary):

Photobucket

After the starter was installed I decided to install the new thermostat and upper radiator hose:

Photobucket

Bubba was here:

Photobucket

Yes, that's a coat hanger.

Turns out Bubba also replaced the water outlet with a cheap aftermarket chrome one that is not only warped, but the wrong direction outlet.

Photobucket

On top of that, the AZ hose I bought is bad from the factory:

Photobucket

Oh well. I took the hose back and got my money back and I bought a replacement stock style water outlet. I'm gonna get a GM hose and hopefully this project can be crossed off the list.

The never ending saga. To top it all off, apparently the neighborhood code enforcement officer came by and b*****d at my wife because the 79 was on my driveway in jackstands. Whatever.

Until the next installment.....

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/15 0:54

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

OK, got a chance to tinker with the car yesterday.

Installed the new, correct style, water outlet.

Out with the old, in with the new:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I got the new starter bracket from GM, but turns out the mini starter is shorter than stock, so I had to add a little piece to allow if to mount to the block. And as much as I hate to admit it, Bubba was here:

Photobucket

Photobucket

New bracket seems to have eliminated any torque/grinding on the starter. Warm start problem is now still intermittent after driving it last night. I am going to install a remote solenoid and be done with it.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/22 13:27

Durango_Boy Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I've thought about the remote solenoid thing before but one thing this car didn't need was more crap on the firewall.

Whatever location you choose make sure it's up and away from heat and water. I know the originals are right down there above street level but I think that has a lot to do with why solenoids fail as often as they do.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 13:44

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

OK, well I got the remote solenoid mounted up today. Just use any late 80s-early 90s ford product as your "model" at the parts store. I randomly picked a 92 mustang. The solenoid is all the same part.

Once I found a suitable mounting place (near the dist on the firewall) I figured out how long I needed the wires to be and fabbed up a couple for the ground and ignition wire from old 8 ga stereo wire I had laying around. I used a new premade 4 ga battery cable (45") for the power supply to the starter. Hardest part was rerouting the battery cable to reach the new solenoid. I had to remove the clips that held the cable on to the p/s of the trans tunnel. That's nearly impossible with the trans in the way. Can't get a wrench in there. What I did instead which will save you a lot of time is pulled back the carpet on the inside, slotted the bolts with a dremel, and use a screwdriver to back them out. Much easier.

Unfortunately, my camera battery was dead, so I only got a shot of the solenoid mounted. I can take more pics later if someone wants to see them. Total cost was under $20 for the solenoid, new battery cable, and leftover (free) wire I had.

Photobucket

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/23 1:30

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Looks good. Gonna fab up a cover for it so it's not exposed?

That's the same location I used for one of my two firewall gauges.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 1:33

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Also worked on the door locks. I disassembled the d/s from the door and lubed the actuator rod with grease as well as wd-40ing the crap out of the mechnism that the rods connect to. Made a huge difference. I was going to do the p/s as well, but it's still riveted in factory style, whereas the d/s had previously been removed. I was just beat already. There is a noticeable difference. D/s is very easy to lock/unlock now with the key, p/s is extremely difficult. Unfortunately, the power locks are not working. I am not getting power at the motor when I hit the switch, although there is power at the switch itself. I think the aftermarket alarm (non-functioning) is interfering with the door locks. I will remove it in the spring and resplice all the wires back together correctly.

I also reinstalled the door panels temporarily just to drive around with since they look nicer on and rattle less.

I also got a chance to peel off the old crappy tint job from the back window. Came off relatively easily. Some remaining glue, but that will be washed off at a later date.

It's the end of the season and the 79 will be going to Michigan next weekend to hibernate for the winter.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/23 1:37

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Looks good. Gonna fab up a cover for it so it's not exposed?

Nope.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 1:37

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Matt you should let me build you a Vortec 383 for that car. *Poke poke*.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 1:45

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Well I did a little more tinkering with the 79 the other day. Swapped the starter again for the stock style one just so it'll run. Also took the p/s door panel off and removed the door lock actuator and lubed it along with the whole assembly. Didn't help too much, key is still extremely hard to turn in the door. I think somewhere the geometry is messed up. You can lock/unlock it with the rod inside the door, but it's stiff. Hopefully once I get the door locks working it will be better. Also installed the new wiper motor relay. Didn't solve the problem, but after cleaning the switch and playing with it for a while it appears the switch is the issue. Might just be dirty inside. I'm hoping to disassemble it next year and try to clean it since they don't make it anymore.

Other than that, she's going home today. Dad is here for the weekend and will be driving it back to MI. It'll be sleeping in his garage until next spring.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/11/1 15:30

Curtis1974 Re: Progress on the 79 project car
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Looking good Matt! Progress is coming along nicely.
Posted on: 2009/11/6 18:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.