Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NHMS
New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway from now on. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham [phone] Verizon vs AT&T
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

part of my iPhone vs Droid decision.

So how's one vs the other?

Right now my cell's on AT&T but home is Verizon with DSL.

My contracts up with AT&T

So I figure I'm better off getting a package deal.

BTW you can still switch carriers and keep the same # right?
Posted on: 2010/2/23 18:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bmwgsa Re: [phone] Verizon vs AT&T
Guru
Earth
735 Posts

You own your number.

As to the AT&T vs. Verizon vs. XXX - I can tell you that Verizon does get a signal in a lot of places where AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile doesn't.

If you're mostly in major metropolitan area's, AT&T is a better fit for voice and data.

If you're out in the boonies, then Verizon.
If you have internation needs, then I would go with AT&T

Data speeds are subjective - but my company uses Verizon, I use AT&T and a few other folks use Sprint.

When it comes to downloading stuff, running videos and such (I'm in a city environment, inside a warehouse), Sprint works best, then AT&T, then Verizon....

If I step outside, then it's AT&T, Sprint then Verizon.

I would take a look at the coverage maps to get an idea of who will give you the best service in the area's you travel....
Posted on: 2010/2/23 18:40

I am fervently hoping to qualify for the category of "ageless" as opposed to "maturity impaired".

Guru
Earth
735 Posts

And another thing - I was talking with my AT&T rep; she told me that AT&T is in the midst of a major data upgrade on their celluar side (because of the iPhone overload).

The upgrade is supposed to include the installation of additional cell towers to take care of coverage problems as well....

She didn't not know when it was going to be completed.
Posted on: 2010/2/23 18:43

I am fervently hoping to qualify for the category of "ageless" as opposed to "maturity impaired".

biggrizzly Re: [phone] Verizon vs AT&T
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

My decision to buy the Droid was based on a long term account with Verizon Wireless and the device was discounted since it was two years since I had bought my Blackberry.
The DROID has a larger display with significantly better resolution than the iPhone, it does everything that I need it do including all my email accounts and incorporating an awesome web browsing experience. The Google Maps Navigation is free and works incredible as well. Voice search function works flawlessly on 99% of the searches I do for both finding locations on the maps and general web searches while in the car.
I just did a speed test using the SpeedTest.net app and my download speed was 934kbps and the upload was 560kbps and that is inside a fairly well shielded building. I'd have to try it outdoors and see if I can do better. It is not slow by any means and downloads web pages nearly as fast as my PC.
The Google Aps Store is growing by leaps and bounds and I currently have at least 50 aps already installed including various automotive related software like “aDyno” “GPSspeed” that uses the accelerometer built into the device, “The Car Home App” and other ingenious applications.
It is a highly personal decision, but many of my friends have iPhones and think the Droid is pretty cool when they play with it. You need to go fondle these things and see how they work in your own hands. I have read good and bad things about the DROID, but I have never had any negative performance out of it.
In a iPod / iPhone Centric world it is easy to understand why people would choose the iPhone, and if I was already a AT&T subscriber I would probably have gone with the iPhone but I am more than pleased with the DROID.
Posted on: 2010/2/23 19:06

Durango_Boy Re: [phone] Verizon vs AT&T
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Hld out a little bit and check out the Verizon Nexus One. It's got a super fast processor, the Android OS, touch screen, WiFi, Bluetooth...all the standard features, plus it's going to be NEW this Spring so it's currently top of the line which doesn't last long these days.
Posted on: 2010/2/23 22:01

Matatk Re: [phone] Verizon vs AT&T
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

We are going to switch to Verizon probably next month. I was looking at two phones - the LG env and the Samsung Rogue. Anyone have any experience???

I really have no need for a smart phone and don't want to spend an extra $60 a month on the data plans for myself and my wife.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/2/23 22:17

BrianCunningham Re: [phone] Verizon vs AT&T
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Hld out a little bit and check out the Verizon Nexus One. It's got a super fast processor, the Android OS, touch screen, WiFi, Bluetooth...all the standard features, plus it's going to be NEW this Spring so it's currently top of the line which doesn't last long these days.

that may explain the 2 for 1 deal going on.

My mother has a 'pay as you go' phone I just bought her

But if I can get the 2nd phone for free and do a family plan
Posted on: 2010/2/23 22:34

Guru
Earth
735 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
We are going to switch to Verizon probably next month. I was looking at two phones - the LG env and the Samsung Rogue. Anyone have any experience???

I really have no need for a smart phone and don't want to spend an extra $60 a month on the data plans for myself and my wife.

Matthew

Take a look here for an idea.....
CNET Smartphone Editors Choice
Posted on: 2010/2/23 22:55

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

OK checked out the Droid last night, and then when across the mall to the AT&T store to do a back to back comparison with the iPhone.

Loaded the same forum pages on both phones, as well as the same YouTube video.

Both seemed to load the forum pages pretty well.

the iPhone seemed to want the load the ENTIRE video before playing, I finished talking with the sale rep and the video had STILL not finished loading!

I liked being able to use the pointing device on the Droid to navigate the pages. To easy on both phones to accidentally open a link by mistake on the screen.

The screen style keyboard on both worked OK, but too a little getting used to.

The full keyboard on the Droid was cool, though with the pea sized keys I may need to let my thumbnails grow out a bit. I wonder if people actually do that? phone nails as opposed to coke nails LOL

Some features were not as intuitive on the Droid as the iPhone, zoom for instance, others were better, getting to the internet for instance. WTF do I type in my URL's d@mn it!

The droid when immediately from portrait to landscape mode, when the phone was rotated. The iPhone didn't, I actually thought it was broken.

Cost wise both data plans are $30/mo. But I can get the voice plan $30 cheaper through Verizon, I don't talk that much so I don't need either an unlimited or 900min plan. So, if I pick Verizon, than it's basically FREE

Now for the weird part, I have Verizon @ home for my internet & phone. If I combine the two I can save another $15/mo, but I needed to walk down to ANOTHER store to talk to someone about it. Sseems Verizon & Verizon Wireless are considered separate companies, which is kind weird

BTW if you go to impress your friends by sending them an email from your Yahoo account from the iPhone in the store REMEMBER TO LOG OUT.

Here's to you Raul! LOL
Posted on: 2010/2/24 14:59

VtVette Re: [phone] Verizon vs AT&T
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

There's a few different Droid phones. Be sure to check out the Droid Eris by HTC. It's smaller and lighter than the Motorola Droid. The biggest difference between it and the Motorola Droid is the lack of a physical keyboard and it's less expensive and less bulky.

Search "Droid vs Droid Eris" most reviews favor the Eris Droid.

The biggest issue with the Droid Eris was it came with android 1.5 vs. the Motorola Droids android 2.0. Now, however, the Droid Eris can now be had with Android 2.0 which features google maps, navigation, HTML 5 support, better virtual keyboard, more screen sizes/resolution and more.

My next phone will be a Droid Eris, or possibly the Nexus 1 coming to Verizon this spring.

The biggest issue for me is the Droid is Open Source and the Android OS is developed by Google/Open Handset Alliance - something the Iphone never will be. Apple got a big jump on the smart phone market but with Google behind the Android and it's Open Source OS it will quickly surpass Apple in functionality and always be less expensive.
Posted on: 2010/2/25 4:48

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

That's the appeal to me as well

I'm already running OpenSource as well on my Linux machine @ home.

I want to try writing some apps for it.

I checked out the Eris.
I'm not sure I'm going to like the touch screen, one of the reasons I'm thinking Droid because it also has not just a keyboard, but a pointing device as well.

Salesman said the Eris is running Android 1.2 but the Droid is on 2.0, which doesn't make sense since the Eris is newer.
Posted on: 2010/2/25 14:13

biggrizzly Re: [phone] Verizon vs AT&T
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
That's the appeal to me as well

I'm already running OpenSource as well on my Linux machine @ home.

I want to try writing some apps for it.

I checked out the Eris.
I'm not sure I'm going to like the touch screen, one of the reasons I'm thinking Droid because it also has not just a keyboard, but a pointing device as well.

Salesman said the Eris is running Android 1.2 but the Droid is on 2.0, which doesn't make sense since the Eris is newer.

Motorola DROID has a different processor - Also DROID will be getting the new Android 2.1 shortly from what I've read.
Also - you can download the Android SDK and try it out. Its pretty user friendly. I just havn't had the time to play with it too much. I'm planning on developing some training apps for the DROID if I ever get the time. I'm a web-based training developer by day and I have been harping on us to start creating training apps for mobile devices, I just can't get "the powers that be" to see the advantage yet.
Posted on: 2010/2/25 15:19

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

That would be pretty cool.

I want to play with the accelerometers and see if I can do track mapping like they do on the iPhone.
Posted on: 2010/2/25 16:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.