Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
167 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Rat Motor
GM production big block engines were known as Rat motors.

'W' Series:

5.7L 348ci - 1958 thru 1964
6.7L 409ci - 1961 thru 1965
7.0L 427ci (Z11...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

76Nordic 1984 headliner question
Dumbass
Brea, CA
239 Posts

Just was wondering what any of you guys may have done for your headliner or not. Mine is completly gone, the only thing on the top is velcro strips. I have seen here and there, where the top was redone with the material and glue pretty cheaply, but they had a base to work with, so it seems.Thanks for any info you have Mark
Posted on: 2010/7/9 3:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: 1984 headliner question
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, I still had the foam piece to use. It provides some insulation so the sun won't cook you as bad on a hot day.

With the stock foam, I peeled what was left of the stock fabric and matched it as close as I could at the fabric store. I gently brushed any loose stuff off the stock foam, used super duper 3M spray on adhesive, and then cut the edges with some extra, and tucked that in under the metal frame using an old credit card.

I'd bet there's some 1/4 to 1/2" thick foam type stuff at the fabric store that you could bond black fabric over. Or get creative and use a different color that matches the interior... it's not like it will fade. There's also carpet padding, it would maintain it's thickness well, but it's heavier and may be harder to keep glued in... it works better as noise insulation than temperature insulation, so take your pick.
Posted on: 2010/7/9 3:59

bogus Re: 1984 headliner question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

it's not all that hard, really...

get a piece of cardboard, about the size of the headliner panel. 1/4" plywood is good, too. Cut the panel down about 1/8" along the panel edge, this will allow the fabric some wiggle room.

Cover the panel. and then shove it up there on the velcro.
Posted on: 2010/7/9 4:09

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: 1984 headliner question
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

I'm not sure if cardboard will hold up. I would use cardboard for the original pattern, but then use a thin wood like luan for the base, cover it with foam (glued) and then the fabric you will use.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/7/9 12:20

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Cardboard will look like hell. And the roof is curved anyways, so I'm not sure how a flat piece of anything would work well.

What's so hard about gluing carpet padding or foam directly to the roof?
Posted on: 2010/7/9 17:13

Matatk Re: 1984 headliner question
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Cardboard will look like hell. And the roof is curved anyways, so I'm not sure how a flat piece of anything would work well.

What's so hard about gluing carpet padding or foam directly to the roof?

I didn't know that's how they originally were. I was thinking it was more like a headliner in a car - ie, hardboard/foam/fabric. Since I have the acrylic top, I've never taken a painted one apart.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/7/9 17:20

76Nordic Re: 1984 headliner question
Dumbass
Brea, CA
239 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I will let you know how I do it, and how it comes out. Mark
Posted on: 2010/7/9 17:29

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

I didn't know that's how they originally were. I was thinking it was more like a headliner in a car - ie, hardboard/foam/fabric. Since I have the acrylic top, I've never taken a painted one apart.

Matthew

It's basically a semi-rigid foam piece shaped to the curve of the roof that has fabric glued to it. I've never had the foam out but apparently it attaches with velcro.
Posted on: 2010/7/9 19:38

corvetteronw Re: 1984 headliner question
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

What about using some of that spray in bedliner stuff like they use in pickups? It comes in different colors and would never sag.
As far as fabric goes I have seen some pretty wild hot rod flame patterns that might look quite racy.
Posted on: 2010/7/10 4:38

85L98-84L83 Re: 1984 headliner question
Guru Newb
113 Posts

I saw a guy on that british show "wheeler dealers" use some stereo carpet stuff in black and he used that spray on glue and glued it to the hard top. Great TV show by the way.
Posted on: 2010/7/18 15:15

polish41 Re: 1984 headliner question
Guru Newb
Watertown.SD
50 Posts

I bought a piece of 1/2" styrofoam insulation at home depot. Cut it to fit the roof. Glued some new headliner material to it and stuck it on with some new velcro strips. That was three years ago and all is well.
Posted on: 2010/7/19 1:50

76Nordic Re: 1984 headliner question
Dumbass
Brea, CA
239 Posts

Update.... I ended up finding one at corvette central, and after thinking about it a bit, I ended up buying it. Cost me around 140.00 bucks. But what I got I thought was pretty cool. It was a hard plastic, that was molded to the shape of the top, and cut perfectly to fit snug, and covered with the material. Hell it even had the velcro strips on the back. So in the future, I guess I have the foundation to work with if I need to replace the material. Thanks guys for all your suggestions !!!!!!!!
Posted on: 2010/10/15 1:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.