Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SBC
This stands for Small Block Chevrolet. The engine debuted in 1955 and remained largely unchanged until 1986. The initials are still used today to d...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

volzfan A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Most of you didn't know it, but I've had some issues this past spring that have slowed me down quite a bit (Herniated Disc surgery back in March). Anyway, last month I finally got to do some real cruising in my beloved mountains, and here's a few pics!

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

You guys really need to come down and cruise the mountains with us! It's a blast!
Posted on: 2011/8/12 14:42

biggrizzly Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

John -- Sweet photos! I think I like the second one the best! What a beautiful car with a beautiful background. Who did the photos of you driving? Nice Touch.

I really want to bring some of our folks down that way for a long weekend cruise one day. We had "Tail of the Dragon" on our calendar this year but cancelled because we have too much going on already.

Is your car Machine Silver or Pewter? Whatever, I really like it. BTW -- I hope you are feeling better. Been there; Done that.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Excellent backdrop for a Vette!
Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:28

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

Nice pics and nice C5......glad you are feeling better also.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:34

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

teebee Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

Sweet, that is some beautiful country. The wife and I did the TOTD back in 2007. About time for another trip that way.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:42

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

JeffK Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Nice. Once I get mine to a dependable state I might have to cruise over that way.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 16:20

volzfan Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
John -- Sweet photos! I think I like the second one the best! What a beautiful car with a beautiful background. Who did the photos of you driving? Nice Touch.

I really want to bring some of our folks down that way for a long weekend cruise one day. We had "Tail of the Dragon" on our calendar this year but cancelled because we have too much going on already.

Is your car Machine Silver or Pewter? Whatever, I really like it. BTW -- I hope you are feeling better. Been there; Done that.

Thanks for the kind words....from everyone. I can assure you that it is worth the trip there just for the scenery, and DRIVING on the Parkway and the surrounding roads is just icing on the cake!

The pics of us driving were made by one of the many photographers that set up on these mountain roads nowadays. Those particular pics were taken by "Blind Kenny" on the "Devils Staircase", which is Hwy 80 in NC. It is part of the "Diamondback Loop", a 30 mile loop starting and ending in Little Switzerland, NC. Most of those guys will have signs just past them with their website, where you can go and order the pics.

My car is Pewter. It was my wife's choice of C5 colors, and took a while (over a year) to find with the mileage and condition I wanted. Finally found it, garaged, under a cover, only 8 miles from where I live!

Thanks for the encouragement, too. I am feeling much, much better than back in March............however I am afraid that I have some lingering effects that now don't appear to be going away. I still have no feeling in most of my left leg/foot. The Doc says that I had some pretty serious nerve damage, and that he doubts it will improve any more, so I am learning to cope. At least most of the pain is gone! All in all, I shouldn't complain.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 18:22

1Fast04Vert Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

That "Devil's Staircase" looks awesome on the map. Everytime I go and run the Tail of the Dragon I get behind some kind of slow mover that just ruins the ride.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 19:26

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
That "Devil's Staircase" looks awesome on the map. Everytime I go and run the Tail of the Dragon I get behind some kind of slow mover that just ruins the ride.

It is awesome! I enjoyed that one stretch of road more than any other part of our two day, 370 mile trip. What makes it really special is the elevation change.......you can't imagine how steep it is in parts by looking at the map.....you need to go there!

I can't compare it to the Dragon.......I've yet to make it there, but I highly recommend anyone to find and drive the "Diamondback Loop". If the Dragon is much better, I'll not be able to stand it when I do that!
Posted on: 2011/8/12 20:00

1Fast04Vert Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I think the dragon is over crowded and over rated. But I still might drive it and the surrounding roads this fall anyway. My son was going to bring his C5 and we were going to do it together, but he is being deployed overseas again - bummer!
Posted on: 2011/8/12 21:47

biggrizzly Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
I think the dragon is over crowded and over rated. But I still might drive it and the surrounding roads this fall anyway. My son was going to bring his C5 and we were going to do it together, but he is being deployed overseas again - bummer!

I have heard similar
Posted on: 2011/8/12 23:39

teebee Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

I went on the dragon and it was pretty good. On the way back we did the Cherahola Skyway, not as demanding as the dragon but a very nice drive. The Dragon over-rated? I don't think so, but it is very traveled which might take the fun out of it. We went in the middle of the week and it wasn't terribly busy. Need to know more about this "Devils Staircase".
Posted on: 2011/8/13 0:08

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Need to know more about this "Devils Staircase".

Here you go, Tom. It would be great if any of you guys plan to do this.......it's only about an 1 1/4 hours from my home, so I can be there easily. Trae is only about another half hour, and I know he would love to meet up folks there, too.

Devil's Staircase

Check this out, also:

Diamondback

There are maps there, and the "Diamondback Loop" takes in the "Devils Staircase" as part of the 30 mile loop. That's what we drove.....twice, on July 3rd. More fun than should be allowed!

While we're on the subject, if anyone is interested, here is another of our favorite routes. It's only about 15 minutes from Trae's home!

Highway 421 - The Snake

It would be worth some of you guys time to come over for a weekend and allow us to "guide" you on these roads!
Posted on: 2011/8/13 2:36

TooMch Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Guru Newb
St. Louis, MO
6 Posts

I'm a little late to the party but I just saw this thread. I used to live in Asheville, NC and loved driving on the Parkway. I didn't own my Vette at the time. I'd love to take it on the Blue Ridge Parkway. After hearing about your other roads, I'm sure I'd like to do that as well. It will be on my list. Hope you are beyond your health problems by now. I'm currently recuperating from a right total hip replacement.
Posted on: 2012/3/14 16:49

j3studio Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Pewter is perty - one of the best C5 colors.
Posted on: 2012/3/14 17:00

Louis, 2012 Centennial Edition Coupe

EngineDoctor Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Funtastic pics ;) Reminds me of crisin my vette in Turnbull canyon or National Crest Hwy in Califkya.
Posted on: 2012/3/14 22:21

CorvetteBob Re: A few pics from the Blue Ridge Parkway
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Your car looks great in those pics!

Quote:

volzfan wrote:
Most of you didn't know it, but I've had some issues this past spring that have slowed me down quite a bit (Herniated Disc surgery back in March). Anyway, last month I finally got to do some real cruising in my beloved mountains, and here's a few pics!

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

You guys really need to come down and cruise the mountains with us! It's a blast!
Posted on: 2013/6/10 4:10

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Thanksoccasion5

Posted on: 2013/6/10 19:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.