Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
228 user(s) are online (200 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

skirlin Running bad, codes, Need Help Please
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

Hello everyone, it's been awhile. My 92 has been running great until now. It started running very rough (engine shakes like it has a huge cam), spark knocking, back firing, and lousy acceleration. All gauges look normal. It is a 1992 Lt1 with almost 160k, no mods, automatic. My first thought was the Opti and I did some research here and that sounded close. I used Andy's write up for checking codes (very cool, thanks Andy)but what I got back was not what I had expected.

1 C.12
4.H28 Quad Driver 3
H32 EGR Valve/circuit
H68 A/C Relay error (explains why AC never shuts off).
H72 Gear Selector Switch Error
---
9. ---

I grabbed my Helms Manuals (again, the first purchase after I got my 92 as recommended by the Gurus)I found everything in the manuals. My question is: Can an faulty EGR Valve cause this much trouble? Does this info tell you something I am not seeing? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Posted on: 2011/8/16 22:48

BillH Re: Running bad, codes, Need Help Please
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

skirlin wrote:
Hello everyone, it's been awhile. My 92 has been running great until now. It started running very rough (engine shakes like it has a huge cam), spark knocking, back firing, and lousy acceleration. All gauges look normal. It is a 1992 Lt1 with almost 160k, no mods, automatic. My first thought was the Opti and I did some research here and that sounded close. I used Andy's write up for checking codes (very cool, thanks Andy)but what I got back was not what I had expected.

1 C.12
4.H28 Quad Driver 3
H32 EGR Valve/circuit
H68 A/C Relay error (explains why AC never shuts off).
H72 Gear Selector Switch Error
---
9. ---

I grabbed my Helms Manuals (again, the first purchase after I got my 92 as recommended by the Gurus)I found everything in the manuals. My question is: Can an faulty EGR Valve cause this much trouble? Does this info tell you something I am not seeing? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

It does sound a bit much for the EGR, frankly, it sounds like a vacuum leak(s). But you're going to have to take care of the EGR anyway, it's either the valve or the solenoid.

Did you get a check engine light with the H32? Usually it will turn off the next time the key is cycled.

The Quad Driver probably is because of the bad a/c relay/connection. Don't worry about it until the a/c is fixed. The QD just mointors the voltage in the ECM/Fan circuit.

H72 - don't worry abouy it.

Clear the codes.
Check for vacuum leaks and fix the EGR. That's the first step.
Posted on: 2011/8/16 23:37

josephf31 Re: Running bad, codes, Need Help Please
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

My guess would also be that the EGR would not cause that much trouble. What are the first 2 codes?
Posted on: 2011/8/17 0:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

josephf31 wrote:
My guess would also be that the EGR would not cause that much trouble. What are the first 2 codes?

C12 means there are no codes (at the time the codes are read). Almost all codes switch from C (current) to H (history) when the key is turned off.

H28 is the Quad Driver, module 3, monitors voltage it the ECM to fan relay circuit.
Posted on: 2011/8/17 0:44

josephf31 Re: Running bad, codes, Need Help Please
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

josephf31 wrote:

C12 means there are no codes (at the time the codes are read). Almost all codes switch from C (current) to H (history) when the key is turned off.

H28 is the Quad Driver, module 3, monitors voltage it the ECM to fan relay circuit.

Thanks; none of those sound like (to me) they would cause the symptoms reported. Not to be pessimistic but it sounds more serious; possibly bad injector(s), distributor gear/timing chain? Just thinking out loud, not sure any of those would throw codes...
Posted on: 2011/8/17 0:48

skirlin Re: Running bad, codes, Need Help Please
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

Thanks for the reply. You are right on Bill with the H32, it would pop on half way home, then it would be out the next time I started it up. I've had four trouble free years of driving it, I've added lots more miles. I figured eventually things would start wearing out. I'll fix the EGR valve and look for vacuum leaks. I foot in front of the other, thanks gents
Posted on: 2011/8/17 1:22

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

skirlin wrote:
Thanks for the reply. You are right on Bill with the H32, it would pop on half way home, then it would be out the next time I started it up. I've had four trouble free years of driving it, I've added lots more miles. I figured eventually things would start wearing out. I'll fix the EGR valve and look for vacuum leaks. I foot in front of the other, thanks gents

Yea, that's very typical for an LT1 EGR.

If you replace the EGR yourself, stuff some rags in the gap between the firewall and bellhousing, loosing a EGR bolt down there is a bitch.

Don't forget to clear the codes.
Posted on: 2011/8/17 1:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.