Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
250 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Ultraman Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14728 Posts

Seems to be some controversy over this ad. I really liked it and thought it was a pep talk to all of us.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 17:25

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CorvetteBob Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Seems to be some controversy over this ad. I really liked it and thought it was a pep talk to all of us.

I agree
Posted on: 2012/2/7 17:45

j3studio Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4246 Posts

Love Clint, loved the ad, don't think it's going to sell that many Chrysler products ...
Posted on: 2012/2/7 18:02

pianoguy Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

They were talking about this on the news yesterday - Toyota and Honda qualify as the most "made in America" cars.
Posted on: 2012/2/7 18:34

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I posted this on fb earlier:

I just watched "half time in America" for the second time. The commercial with Clint Eastwood for Chrysler.

It is plausible, however slim the chance, that a team of ad copywriters just wrote the second Gettysburg Address?
Posted on: 2012/2/7 20:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

SpectatorRacing Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I dunno, I was not as enamored as you guys with this one. Overdone, IMO.

Things aren't exactly rosy here, but the people of Detroit did NOT almost lose everything. And we don't need the rest of America to feel sorry for us...or make an example of us.

But I will say I love the "imported from Detroit" tag line. I just wish it wasn't about Chrysler.
Posted on: 2012/2/8 0:34

bogus Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Interesting.

I felt the message was about renewal. Recovery. Winning.

And at that point, who cares about the who... I was glad, for a change that it wasn't from some political campaign.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 2:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

I like the ad. I don't expect Clint to sell any more cars than Eminem's ads, though.

Jon - I'd have to disagree with you a bit. Detroit lost a lot. My dad lost his American automotive job to cheap overseas labor. There was no career for me there and I got the hell out of Dodge (no pun intended). Much better off here in Chicago. So yeah, I'd say Detroit had it rough and still has a long way to go.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/2/8 3:20

Ultraman Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Huskerland
14728 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I was glad, for a change that it wasn't from some political campaign.

I think that is what the controversy was about....some claim that it was a back door Obama political ad since he did the Detroit bailout and it worked. Of course Busch got the thing started and Obama saw it through.

Nobody can sneer like Clint can.......lol...all he needed to say was "punk" somewhere in there to make it perfect...
Posted on: 2012/2/8 13:58

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Jon - I'd have to disagree with you a bit. Detroit lost a lot. My dad lost his American automotive job to cheap overseas labor. There was no career for me there and I got the hell out of Dodge (no pun intended). Much better off here in Chicago. So yeah, I'd say Detroit had it rough and still has a long way to go.

This is a long discussion, but in general, consider a few things:

The whole middle and lower class in America lost a lot over the past few years.

Detroit seems to have lost more because it was already bad, but it has been losing jobs since the 1950's, not since 2008. So when did our "first act" actually start?

The outsourcing to LCC's (low cost countries) is NOT solely on the shoulders of our government (or the much maligned big corporations). It is also on the shoulders of these same middle and lower class Americans who a) refuse to do these blue collar jobs because we're "entitled" to better, and b) search high and low on the internet for the cheapest priced goods regardless of quality. Then come on the forums and complain.

For every hard working man or woman you know (like your pop, most likely) do you hear about 5 others that are carried by that person?
Posted on: 2012/2/8 19:22

BillH Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Just a few years ago, the guys who cut the grass at the auto plants had to join the UAW, so naturally they were paid the same wages as the guys on the production line............interesting.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 23:21

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ." -- Thomas Jefferson
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
"-- Thomas Jefferson
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -- Thomas Jefferson
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-- Thomas Jefferson
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson
"To compel a man to subsidize, with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
Posted on: 2012/2/8 23:38

Matatk Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Jon - obviously lots of factors. But the property values in the Detroit are have plummeted...I'm a victim of that myself...more so that in other areas. We could discuss it until blue in the face, but the fact is that people left MI in hordes because there was no work.

Bill - my dad disagrees with me, but the UAW is responsible for it's own death due to greed.
Posted on: 2012/2/9 0:20

Ultraman Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Huskerland
14728 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ." -- Thomas Jefferson
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
"-- Thomas Jefferson
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -- Thomas Jefferson
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-- Thomas Jefferson
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson
"To compel a man to subsidize, with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

Amazing.....Amen Brother....preach it.....!!!
Posted on: 2012/2/9 0:21

Epimax Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
-- Thomas Jefferson
"-- Thomas Jefferson
-- Thomas Jefferson
-- Thomas Jefferson

Amazing.....Amen Brother....preach it.....!!!

+1 AMEN!!
Posted on: 2012/2/9 12:01

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Jon - obviously lots of factors. But the property values in the Detroit are have plummeted...I'm a victim of that myself...more so that in other areas. We could discuss it until blue in the face, but the fact

With this I will agree. However, regarding property values, one could of course argue that they inflated much higher (percentagewise) that other areas in the preceeding years, right?

I bought my house in 2002. By 2005 My appraisal was almost 140% of my purchase price. 3 years? People thought that would last? Absolutely, and they sold and bought bigger homes.

Just another real estate bubble that burst.

And lastly, isn't the best part? That we can argue this until we're blue in the face, and many parts of the world can not even talk about it in hushed voices?

I would also like to see a quote stating that people need to "man up" and take responsibility for their own actions and not just blame the banks and the government. I haven't seen that one lately...
Posted on: 2012/2/9 14:55

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

I would also like to see a quote stating that people need to "man up" and take responsibility for their own actions .

Ok, "Man Up and get that racecar done"

Our first "Test & Tune" day is in 2 weeks.
Posted on: 2012/2/9 15:02

screamin_conure Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
-- Thomas Jefferson
"-- Thomas Jefferson
-- Thomas Jefferson
-- Thomas Jefferson

I would image that if a contemporary bureaucrat were to utter these words, he or she would likely be labeled immediately as a conspiracy-minded right wing radical who has lost all sense of credibility.
Posted on: 2012/2/9 19:19

TommyT-Bone Re: Clint Eastwood Half Time in America
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Ah yes ..... Recovery and WINNING

Attach file:

jpg  winning.jpg (128.17 KB)
852_4f346987725b0.jpg 540X720 px
Posted on: 2012/2/10 0:49

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Ah yes ..... Recovery and WINNING

Depends who helps ya recover.

Attach file:

jpg  charlie_sheen_nbc_110301_640_video11.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2012/2/10 15:06

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

I would also like to see a quote stating that people need to "man up" and take responsibility for their own actions .

Ok, "Man Up and get that racecar done"

Our first "Test & Tune" day is in 2 weeks.

Amen, brotha. I'm trying. Still waiting to hear from NASA regarding the new class based on the chosen motor. Starting to get frustrated.
Posted on: 2012/2/11 0:33

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Still waiting to hear from NASA regarding the new class based on the chosen motor. Starting to get frustrated.

That's crazy.
Posted on: 2012/2/11 1:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.