Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
221 user(s) are online (194 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L80E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.43
2nd Gear: 1.49
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.75

Reverse: 2.07

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Gun thread
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Anyway, I picked up guns about last year. I posted about it before but I just wanted to say an update.

I got my ccw permit, carry most of the time except when my nephew who is only five is in the car. With him, the doors are locked and I have pepper spray. No guns around him and he does not know I have any. They are locked in a gun safe in my closet which is also locked.

I am about to get a mossberg 12 gauge shotgun for home protection for my family and me and my dad want to go duck hunting sometimes

I joined the NRA and the NC sherrifs association. The NCSA provides my money to the court for protection and gives away scholarships. I searsched it before I joined and it really does help guys get scholarships for LE in the deputys. Money well spend IMHO.

Anyway, who hear owns something? You don't have to post if you have a ccw. I have a motto that I use around town. It's called "CANT". Carry Always, Never Tell. Nobody knows who I am on this site so I don't mind talking about it.

Just throw out your favorites. I like revolvers and the SAA cowboy styles personally. I don't like rifles. Love shotguns.

Not a deer hunter as they are too beautiful for me to hunt. I love duck. Yummy.

Anyone seen the judge? I almost bought it but backed out at hte last minute. 45 LC and 410 shotshells. The shotshells arnt big but they will tear a snake or a varmit to shreds if need me for protection.

Posted on: 2012/3/16 16:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

383tpimachine Re: Gun thread
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Owned a gun since I was 5 when I got my first shotgun. Just a small 20 gauge pump. Most fun gun I ever had, but that may be due to my age.

Now I have a 20 gauge auto, 12g pump, 12g single barrel, 30-.06, 30-30, 300, and a few other odds that aren't worth mentioning.

Need to get my CHL as I turned 21 last november but just have not had the time. Will likely be carrying a lil .40 as I am smaller framed and .45 is bigger than I can safely control currently.

Deer, dove, quail, and pig are what I hunt. Ducks don't seem to fly much around here.
Posted on: 2012/3/16 18:04

Ultraman Re: Gun thread
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14736 Posts

No ccw but have a Colt Auto .38 Super in the pickup. A sawed off shotgun 12 guage for the house by the bed and others stashed around. When I used to hunt deer I used a 30-30 Winchester which I still have and some shotguns for pheasent and quail.....

Ultraboy is into shooting now so may get him something soon. I looked at the Judge but they are big handguns...interesting concept though.
Posted on: 2012/3/16 18:25

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

teebee Re: Gun thread
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12361 Posts

I own a few guns. Three rifles, a couple of shot guns, and a S&W .38 special. No CC permit....yet. Used to hunt quite a bit, but have gotten away from it the last several years.
Posted on: 2012/3/16 19:11

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

crash Re: Gun thread
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

well let me count- 7 handguns-7 rifles and 6 shotguns. 3 metalic cartridge and 2 shotshell reloaders. i think i might have missed some. ill have to open the safe and count. oh yeah 1 ar15.
Posted on: 2012/3/17 1:02

flyboy Re: Gun thread
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I picked this up a couple weeks ago. Quality Italian made Peacemaker 4 3/4" bbl. in 44-40. I like it a lot. Groups about 4" at 25 yds. off a bag with cowboy action loads.
Going out to a club near Marseilles Sunday where one can shoot anything at anything, not just paper, as long as you clean up after yourself. Should be fun shooting at some novelty targets for a change.
Illinois is the only state without some form of concealed carry thanks to the politicians from the armpit (Chicago).
We (The Illinois State Rifle Ass.) had a huge annual rally in Springfield, the capital, last week, thousands of marchers.
It received zero press in Chicago. Yet if they send a couple busloads of leeches down there complaining about something, it's front page news.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2116.JPG (77.40 KB)
1735_4f63e2bebf80c.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2012/3/17 1:03

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

flyboy is that a uberti sa. those are great guns. yours is neat lookung also. i like the old single actions. reminds me of hopalong cassidy. yahoo.
Posted on: 2012/3/17 1:08

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Yes, Navy Arms Cattleman by Uberti. Got another 1873 Uberti that is modified to shoot cap and ball. Lots of fun. Accurate too. 1860 Colt Army replica, 1836 engraved Patterson. The Italian made replica firearms of the Old West is really a cottage industry, but they turn out some wonderful guns.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2117.JPG (47.84 KB)
1735_4f63e6f666c82.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2012/3/17 1:27

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

"Hoppy's" horse was Topper.
Posted on: 2012/3/17 1:33

Matatk Re: Gun thread
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Corvettes and guns seem to go hand in hand. Dunno why.
Posted on: 2012/3/17 2:49

Huskerland
14736 Posts

They are both manly pursuits.....and don't forget Harley's...and bass boats, and........
Posted on: 2012/3/17 12:09

Trae1976 Re: Gun thread
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Tennessee issues HCPs, which cover both OC and CC (no legal carry without a permit). I've had mine for a few years, and my wife's should arrive any day.

I carry a Kahr CM9 and my wife will be carrying our Ruger LCP. After hundreds of rounds, I'm very happy with both of them.

Never really was into gun sports or collecting, so that's it at the moment. But I'm also considering a Mossberg for home.
Posted on: 2012/3/17 13:16

JrRifleCoach Re: Gun thread
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Ultraman,
Might I recommend that you find a shooting program that focuses on precision shooting. That can be trap, rifle pistol, whatever. This type of training will give your young shooter the discipline and dexterity.

Just my .02

cheers
Posted on: 2012/3/18 0:11
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

Huskerland
14736 Posts

Thanks Coach, we are working on getting into a trap team and have done a lot of bluerock (clay pidgens) shooting in our back yard. He is pretty good at hitting them and really enjoys it.
Posted on: 2012/3/18 13:39

screamin_conure Re: Gun thread
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

My Vette has been running like a top and I've been driving the wheels off it with the nice weather, so there's not much to post regarding that. But a gun thread will get me back into the swing!

I've been a shooter since I was old enough to legally own a firearm (more than 25 years now). Back in the day, I shot IPSC with a compensated .45, but nowadays it's mostly informal trap and an occasional round of 5-stand. My main clay target gun is a Ruger Red Label 12 ga. Sporting Clays model with 30" barrels and I absolutely love it. Also enjoy some informal rile shooting. Mostly .22s but I do have a Mini-14 that I also like very much. I have a couple of good self defense handguns (Sig P2340 and S&W 642) and an Indiana lifetime carry permit, but I haven't actually carried a weapon in years. I work in Chicago, so my permit is no good here or anywhere in Illinois for that matter. No point in taking a chance. I seem to do okay without it. Always hoping my luck doesn't run out some day. I also own a SWEET S&W Model 17-2 .22LR revolver with a 6" barrel and target sights. Built back in the 70s. Love them old Smith revolvers! The quality of bluing and machine work on them is something you don't see much of these days.

Been a reloader for a while too. Back when I was competing in IPSC, I reloaded .45, plus .38 and .357, but I've long ago sold my pistol reloading gear. I still do reload 12 gauge to support my trap habit though. Good way to pass time during cold winter evenings.

Hunted pheasant for a couple years, back in the early 90s, but it really wasn't my thing. Just got to the point where I really didn't want to get up at 3:00 a.m. on my only day off in the middle of November to drive an hour and a half ( or more) and walk for three or four miles to get one shot at a bird and end up missing! Much rather be on a trap field.

The thing I like most about the gun hobby? I've made some of the best friends I've ever had through my involvement in the shooting sports.

Shoot safe,

Ron
Posted on: 2012/3/20 17:56

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Did some informal shooting Sunday at a range where you can shoot anything at anything. Wifey even came along as it's a nice woodsy setting. A couple of the guys had what's called a bump stock on their AR's. This thing turns the AR and some other guns into what is effectively a full auto weapon and it's perfectly legal. Here's a YouTube on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U6tORrODJE
Cost is around $350.
Posted on: 2012/3/20 22:14

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

yeah. i had a bumpfire stock on ar 223. had to take it off. i couldnt reload the ammo fast enough to go shoot. when i ordered it the guy told me when i shoot it that id be up to my arse in brass in no time. he was right. sold it.
Posted on: 2012/3/21 1:21

rklessdriver Re: Gun thread
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I've been a gun person for about as long as I can remember.

I currently have a nice collection of WWI and WWII weapons as well as a number of modern firearms we use for hunting, target shooting and self defense.

My Grandad left me my first real gun. A Remington 513T .22 rifle in 1989 when I was 15. He got it just before he left for WWII. For as long as I could remember "granddad's rifle" was on a shelf in a closet of our house until he died and willed it to me. I still have it and on a good day we can still hold the X ring.

I was in the Marine Corps for 9yrs where I had the oportunity to shoot in a few Division Service Rifle and Pistol matches. It was a great oportunity and made me a much better shooter and teacher.

These days, a few times a year I shoot in a local Bulls Eye leauge (rimfire) with a Smith and Wesson Model 41 and do pretty good considering I don't even bother to weight match my ammo. I also shoot IDPA and steel challenge matches when it suites me just to keep my defensive shooting skills sharp.

Will
Posted on: 2012/3/21 16:50

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

pianoguy Re: Gun thread
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2012/3/21 18:09

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

well i just added another shotshell loading press to the collection. i picked up a very clean almost like new ponsness warren 900 elite to the collection. its a 12ga progresive auto eject type press. i got for $350.00. lets see that makes 6 loading presses now. anybody need bullets har har.
Posted on: 2012/3/23 0:10

LD85 Re: Gun thread
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Me likes guns, me hates Zombies!

Me likes guns, me hates Zombies!
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Photobucket

Posted on: 2012/3/31 14:10

LD85 Re: Gun thread
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket
Posted on: 2012/3/31 14:20

Huskerland
14736 Posts

It's been years since I have bought a weapon and this weekend we bought several.

For the girls we got a pair....brace?......of Smith & Wesson 38 Special 642CT's +P. Nice shooting gun with a fair amount of kickback using 158 grain shells. They are very light and have the Crimson Trace option. UGirl and UWoman did very well first time out hitting those mini pop cans at 25 feet without the CT on. We like to shoot at those to see them blow up when you hit them....we like to blow stuff up.......

The girls will be getting their CC permits when school is out. They can get a Nebraska and a Utah permit at the same place. That will give them about 44 States they can carry in.

Uboy burned up a bunch of 22 LR's with his new rifle which he has sighted in well. I shot my trusty Colt 38 Super clip gun and can hit what I am aiming at usually.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/9 11:21

TommyT-Bone Re: Gun thread
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

It's been years since I have bought a weapon and this weekend we bought several.
For the girls we got a pair....brace?......of Smith & Wesson 38 Special 642CT's +P. Nice shooting gun with a fair amount of kickback using 158 grain shells. They are very light and have the Crimson Trace option.

I know there are girl guns and guy guns. Is this a girl/guy gun. I like the look, short barrel, light weight and targeting concepts. Stainless? Still looking for a small conceal carry/home defense piece. Something like that would be a candidate. My wife just bought his and hers bikes. Maybe I could reciprocate with his and hers handguns.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 11:47

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2012/4/9 12:09

Huskerland
14736 Posts

Ya Tommy...it's stainless and composite to make it light. Trigger pull is somewhat hard but you don't want to have it to easy since there is no saftey on the weapon. There is a trigger lock so that you can disable the gun. That feature is more for storage or if kids are around. 5 rounds perfect CC weapon in my book.

The girls looked at small auto's but opted for simplicity and if fit their hand well. I'd carry this gun and it would be great boot gun to carry in the top of my cowboy boots.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 12:21

BillH Re: Gun thread
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I'd carry this gun and it would be great boot gun to carry in the top of my cowboy boots.

Attach file:

jpg  cowboy_jimi.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2012/4/9 13:32

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

well i just bought a new trap gun. its a beretta 390 semi auto trap grade m/c stock 12 ga. hope to shoot it this weekend. nra convention is coming to town. theres been alot liberal people on tv crying about the avalibilty of guns. crying that there is too much violence in n st louis. too many youths lossing thier lives to street violence. hah where are the parents that raised these losers. oh well im going to the convention and enjoy my self. have a good day gurus.
keep them locked and cocked
rich
Posted on: 2012/4/9 14:56

tjpreul Re: Gun thread
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

My newest is a PPK/S, and just in time for the new Bond movie. Its the two tone stainless version. I had it on order for a few months. Its accurate for a small gun, and can fit 8 rounds.
Posted on: 2012/11/21 3:11

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Posted on: 2012/11/21 19:42

bogus Re: Gun thread
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Gee... missed this thread!

What have we got...

** 2 Russian Moisen-Nagant Infantry rifles, one is a long barrel, the other a short barrel for tank units. 7.62x54R
** Plainfield M1 Carbine .30 carbine. I am in the process of replacing all the OEM Plainfield parts with surplus WWII parts. I have done the cocking lever and the trigger housing. Next up, the bolt and receiver.
** Mossburg/Sears 12 Gauge pump
** Marlin .30-30 (looks like a Winchester lever action)
** Ruger Redhawk, .44 mag, 5.5" barrel
** Ruger GP101, .357 mag, 6" barrel
** Ruger Blackhawk, .30 carbine, 7 3/8" barrel

I want to get a couple of Enfields, a .303 British and a .308 Indian, plus a 1911 .45 of some sort - leaning towards Kimber.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 20:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

PeteK Re: Gun thread
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Picked this up for my daughter. Nice plinker.
I need to snap a newer pic that shows all of the do dads I installed.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/11/22 15:16

conv90 Re: Gun thread
Guru Newb
Italy
3 Posts

Hey Pete!!!
It's days I'm searching YOU...
check your PM's!
-Beppe-
Posted on: 2012/11/22 15:42

PeteK Re: Gun thread
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

conv90 wrote:
Hey Pete!!!
It's days I'm searching YOU...
check your PM's!
-Beppe-

My apologies Beppe. I missed this. Replied to your PM.

With ammo prices through the roof (and nearly impossible to find), I picked up a new plinker.
Smith & Wesson MP-22 Pistol.
I will snap a few pics later.
Price was right, and it fits my hand like a glove.
Posted on: 2013/1/9 21:33

Huskerland
14736 Posts

Got that same one for Uboy and it works well...sometimes the feed on the clip gets a little goofy....like to see the stuff you hung on it.....
Posted on: 2013/1/9 23:13

rklessdriver Re: Gun thread
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Seems like a good time to show my new pistol. I saw this at a gun show back in Dec and decided on the spot it'd be a great 38th Birthday gift (to myself)....

COLT Gunsite Pistol.

Specs:
COLT Series 70 base gun
COLT National Match barrel/bushing
Smith and Alexander beavertail
Grider short trigger
Wilson extended saftey
McCormick hammer and sear (tuned 4lb trigger pull)
Novak rear sight (plain)
Heine Front sight (serrated)
COLT Custom Shop relibility package
(2) Wilson 47D 8rnd mags

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

I took it OTB right to the range and put 200rnds thru it without a problem... I mean litterally I stopped by the range on the way home from the gun show... I didn't even plan to buy anything that day let alone go to the range so I didn't have any ammo, hearing/eye pro...

Last weekend, I just hit 750rnds thru it - all without a failure.

It comes from COLT with some really thin profile grips that I don't care for, so I replaced them with the (shown) Herrets checkered Cocobolo grips which I use on all my carry Government Models.

Not sure if the dealer had it marked wrong or what... I paid $975.00 before tax and thats a heck of a bragin for a Custom Shop built COLT.
Will
Posted on: 2013/1/10 19:51

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

bogus Re: Gun thread
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That is a great deal on a great Colt!! Awesome deal. In 5 years, after 10k rounds, you could sell it for what you paid for it.
Posted on: 2013/1/10 20:04

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Here are the two we recently picked up. Haven't had a gun in the house for over 20 years. Feel more of a need to have one now that we're living out here around the farmland.

Attach file:

jpg  Stevens 58 12 gauge.jpg (708.32 KB)
852_50ef2e80bef7e.jpg 1436X501 px

gif  taurus-940SS.gif (19.28 KB)
852_50ef2fb5bcf59.gif 320X240 px
Posted on: 2013/1/10 21:16

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I'm casually looking for a Beretta 92, but I have to sell my Beretta 70s first.
Posted on: 2013/1/11 4:26

CentralCoaster Re: Gun thread
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Nothing yet but am thinking about a 1911, keep it simple. I'll probably go to the range next week to try some out.

Those 38s are adorable.

CC is all but impossible to get in San Diego with the constitution-hating sheriff we have here.
Posted on: 2013/1/12 0:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.