Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mouse Motor
GM production small block engines were known as Mouse motors.

Early SBC

4.3L 265ci - 1955 thru 1956
4.6L 283ci - 1957 thru 1962
4.9L 302ci - ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Anyone using recycled oil?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

I know recycled oil has been around for more than 50 years. But with advancements in technology, I'm sure the refining process is much better now.

I saw that Valvoline Nexgen at the parts store the other day, but the price was more than regular oil. Not happening for me. If I got it cheap I'd probably be in to it.

I read around and Valvoline claims the refining process is easier using used oil vs crude and you end up with the same quality standard.

Thoughts?

Matthew

http://nextgen.valvoline.com/

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/valvoline-qa/

Posted on: 2012/5/13 16:19

BillH Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

While it's a very good idea and the oil companies can make it into something as good as all new oil, the problem with the first link is:
Rutledge Wood

And, I've been getting the feeling the last few years that Bob is more interested in advertising dollars than what his site used to have.

The cost? I remember when Waste Management dropped off their recycling containers and stated how cool it was that they were interested in the enviroment. Then they sent a statement on the next billing that said they were going to charge us $5 a month more to recycle.
Posted on: 2012/5/13 16:49

Ultraman Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

I would use it in our older stuff like Old Green our 95 Chevy pickup with 220K miles. Also the lawn mowers and pump engines. Everything else has synthetic in it and I see they don't make a regen synthetic.
Posted on: 2012/5/13 17:25

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

volzfan Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote: Everything else has synthetic in it and I see they don't make a regen synthetic.

That brings up a question that I've had. The places here that recycle oil (Advance and O'Reilly) each have huge tanks where I pour my used oil. I run synthetic in my truck, the wife's crossover, and the Vette. I know that I'm not the only one who dumps used synthetic oil in those tanks.......soooo, is the "recycled" oil part synthetic? dontknow  Does is separate in the refining process?

Posted on: 2012/5/13 18:12

Matatk Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

They addressed both those questions in the Q&A on the BITOG forum.
Posted on: 2012/5/13 18:45

vetteblondie Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

If this statement is true:
I read around and Valvoline claims the refining process is easier using used oil vs crude and you end up with the same quality standard.

then why does it cost more?
I'd be all over recycled products and being 'more green' if they'd make it like it should be. If it takes less effort/cost to recycle something then it should be therefore cheaper to purchase.
Posted on: 2012/5/14 18:36

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

I had the same question, VB! Then they can use the crude oil for different things. If we all used recycled oil, then shouldn't the price of a barrel of oil drop? Less demand?

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/5/14 18:51

vetteblondie Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

Same applies to the cost of diesel at the pump.. Not sure about where you guys are, but here it's HIGHER than regular gasonline... why???? Used to be much lower - thus the incentive to use diesel powered engines. You tell me there ain't money grubbers in that industry... preying on those who are trying to be 'green'....
Posted on: 2012/5/15 2:28

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Diesel here is usually the same or a few cents cheaper.

I was at Wally World today and saw the 5 qt jugs of this - was the same price as the non-recycled (valvoline). I don't remember the exact price...14.67 or something like that. Still pricier than Mobil 5000 or some other brands.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/5/15 3:01

NC Kid Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Grocery stores spend 5 cents on recycled bags but they charge 1.00 for you to purchase it. They then try to say be more green by not using their paper or plastic bags.

They get 95 cent profit per reusable bag and save an additional 3 cents per plastic bag and 15 cent per paper bags that are NOT used due to the reusable ones. Plus they have their logo/name/go green signs on the bags so it's extra advertising. Im just saying the "go green" by companys is just for publicity. im all for the go green but I don't buy the lies they say.....

Posted on: 2012/5/27 23:19

bogus Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

A few random thoughts:

1. Diesel fuel costs. This one is really quite simple. We are at the bleeding edge of production capacity. It's that simple. We can't make anymore with our current refineries. And with more light vehicles coming with diesel, get ready for more spikes and more availability issues. I hope they can increase the capacity.

2. Plastic bags. Biggest environmental fuckup EVAR. I hate them. They waste plastic, they truly gum up the environment... they literally have a half-life. They are not biodegradable, they are found in the oceans, they can be dug up 10 years later and are still solid. All for what? A handle? Screw that. The sooner they are gone, the better off we will all be. Prior to WWII, women would go to market with reusable canvas sacks, and it worked. I am a firm believer in it now. Even if the company logo is on it, I still feel that the reusable bag is the best solution. We have several, one from IKEA and a couple from Sam's Club. These are strong SOB's - I can bring in 40 lbs of product in with one sack and not worry about it blowing out. I call that impressive. And yes, part of green shopping is marketing, it doesn't need to be, but it is. Get used to it, because in the 21st Century, EVERYTHING IS ABOUT MARKETING.

3. Used motor oil. Let's clarify something first, synthetic oil is simply conventional oil with the parrafin waxes removed. It's these waxes that separate out under extreme heat and then leave gooey deposits on everything. Mixing synthetic with conventional isn't as fatal is it sounds... just make sure the viscosities are the same. As for recycling oil, it might be simpler, but they still have to pay for the proper disposal of the slag left over. Did you know that thanks to modern science, they actually get more product from a barrel of oil? I think a barrel is 55 gallons, don't remember for sure, but they actually get 2 or three gallons worth of extra product out of it. I don't see that as being possible with used crude. Remember, all those additive packages must be removed and the various weights need to be filtered and sorted out. I can't believe that disposal of those icky things is cheap.
Posted on: 2012/5/28 0:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

istter1 Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Shell claimed this refinery was not making a profit and was later charged with price fixing and was forced to sell this refinery. Shell owens the oil pipe lined that supply crude oil to this refinery and after a few years fly j could not truck in enough crude to make a profit.

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/busin ... es-Shell-to-sell-refinery

"Shell Oil's Bakersfield Refinery, Once Set to Close, Changes Hands
California March 17, 2005|Elizabeth Douglass | Times Staff Writer

Comments0ShareNew Shell Oil Co. has quietly handed its Bakersfield refinery, once slated for closure, to new owner Flying J Inc., a Utah truck stop operator.

Flying J paid a reported $130 million for the refinery and plans to spend at least that much on an expansion that would sharply increase the plant's gasoline and diesel output. In its current configuration, the facility makes 2% of California's gasoline and 6% of its diesel.

Shell Oil had planned to close the facility in October, but public officials pushed for a sale instead so fuel-hungry California would not lose a source of gasoline and diesel. In January, Shell said it would sell the plant to Flying J.

The deal's final hurdle was cleared last week, when the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District granted Flying J a one-year extension to comply with an emissions rule affecting a few of the refinery's heaters. Shell Oil and Flying J signed the final paperwork for the sale Tuesday and the facility was transferred without fanfare.

"We're officially the owners now," said Jeff Utley, senior vice president of refinery operations for Flying J's refining unit, Big West Oil. "We're pretty excited about moving forward."

Flying J named Gene Cotten the Bakersfield refinery's top manager. Cotten most recently managed two Texas refineries owned by Valero Energy Corp. until he left that post in 2003.

The Bakersfield refinery is idled for maintenance; Flying J hopes to have the refinery back to normal production by the end of next week, Utley said.

Privately owned Flying J, based in Ogden, Utah, owns a small refinery in that state and is the nation's largest supplier of diesel fuel."

Posted on: 2012/5/28 12:18

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Right now 4/30-9/30/12.....bring in your old oil, but 5 qts of nextgen and get a $20 AZ gift card.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/land ... oil&intcmp=20120507_bz_1a

http://www.autozone.com/images/MEDIA_ ... 200014_nextgen_rebate.pdf
Posted on: 2012/6/3 16:22

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

There is also an oil sale on this at AZ right now. Just the 5 qt jug alone was something like $23.99. With an stp $4.49 oil filter after the discount it ended up being $20.99. With tax I think I paid $22.77 for each oil change and I will get a $20 rebate card with each one when I mail it in. So $3.00 a piece for two oil changes sure isn't bad to me. Make sure you do separate transactions because the rebate requires separate transaction numbers. I think I might get two more oil change specials and send the rebates to my in-laws house. For $3 an oil change how can you go wrong?

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/6/3 21:34

NC Kid Re: Anyone using recycled oil?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Won't touch used motor oil. Sorry but in the future when I can afford to replace cars or motors, then I will consider it. I DO recycle ALL of my used motor oil properly. Never pour it out in the yard or drain. I am a firm believer in recycling. Always have been and always will be.....Please folks, recycle your oil. It's FREE OF CHARGE to you. If you get caught pouring it into the enviroment, your looking at big fines....
Posted on: 2012/6/5 22:00

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
Won't touch used motor oil. Sorry but in the future when I can afford to replace cars or motors, then I will consider it. I DO recycle ALL of my used motor oil properly. Never pour it out in the yard or drain. I am a firm believer in recycling. Always have been and always will be.....Please folks, recycle your oil. It's FREE OF CHARGE to you. If you get caught pouring it into the enviroment, your looking at big fines....

That makes no sense. It's not used. It's recycled. Difference there. The oil is cleaned and reprocessed and still has to meet the same standards as "new" oil.
Posted on: 2012/6/5 22:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.