Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
321 user(s) are online (251 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk "If I ever totalled my car..."
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

So who hasn't thought about that before? The recent thread about Tyler's unfortunate accident makes you think harder. Please, everyone carry full coverage on their vettes! It's not that expensive to have an agreed upon value insurance policy. Just a thought.

My likes/wants in a replacement car (that I could afford) would be:

#1 - convertible C5 or C4
#2 - blue
#3 - manual trans

If not a convertible it has to be a C5 Z06, C4 ZR1, or heavily modified (and already 100% done) motor...ie 400 block/built, supercharged, etc.

This would be a nice replacement:

http://www.justamericanmusclecars.com/1989-chevrolet-corvette-

So what would you want in a replacement?
Posted on: 2013/2/12 1:36

BillH Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

When I totalled my car...............I had to buy a new helmit cause the tech inspectors pulled the Snell sticker..musta been the crack in it where it met the asphalt.

I had to buy a new helmit........

I rebuilt the car.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 2:05

TommyT-Bone Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

If I totalled one of our cars, I would take the payment and see how much more I would have to find to make $50,000.00. (plus, taxes, tag and title transfer)
Posted on: 2013/2/12 2:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

teebee Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

I would like to think it would be a C6. I'd like to move there anyway. Just have to pay the pickup and car down some. Which reminds me, the wife texted me last Thursday and said that the mortgage company called and told her that we could pay off the house with a check of $820. Put the check in the mail that day......WE ARE MORTGAGE FREE! Now start paying the pickup and car off with that money we used to use to make the house payment, so I can think about a newer Corvette.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 2:28

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

pianoguy Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Congrats, Tom!

This C6 caught my eye - if a tree fell on my car, I might look for something similar. At least my wife could drive it in a pinch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Z16-Gr ... v4exp=true#ht_8223wt_1000

A nice C4 ZR1 would make a dandy replacement, too.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 2:45

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Granted I love the newer cars....but it's not realistic. I think my agreed upon value on the C4 is $13,000. Of course I have more than that invested, but C4s are not an investment! You can pick up some really nice C5s in that price range. Or a super clean and low mileage C4. Or an already modified monster
Posted on: 2013/2/12 3:13

teebee Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

That's a nice GS. The only thing I would prefer on it would be the Red interior. The two tone black/gray is OK but I love the white cars with Red interior.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 3:21

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

My 92 is worth $20k then.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 3:27

bogus Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have had this thought, too... Especially after the Jeep incident.

I don't have agreed value, but I should. I need to talk to my guy at SF and see what he says.

Then again, after what did happen to the Jeep... damn...

As for replacements?

A nice LT4 would work... or a ZR1... or a later C5 coupe that I could mod the shit out of.

If I had some money to spend I would look at a later C6, Grandsport most likely.

The other options are extremes...

A 1989 fully built with an LSx motor of some sort... buy cheap and mod the shit out of it.

Or... leave Corvette land and go over to Ferrari land and get something like an early 80s 308.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 3:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
My 92 is worth $20k then.

Funny, when I put in the specs on nada.com it says:

"purple paint -12,000"

so it's worth $8,000.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 3:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

it's not purple, Matthew... it's "Black Rose."

Posted on: 2013/2/12 3:40

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I have had this thought, too... Especially after the Jeep incident.

I don't have agreed value, but I should. I need to talk to my guy at SF and see what he says.

When I originally got my Allstate policy they said "it's an 89 Chevy so the totaled value would be $2300"

That didn't work for me.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 3:41

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

"A black rose by any other names....is still purple"
Posted on: 2013/2/12 3:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Allstate sucks. I have heard nightmares about how they assess car values in accidents.

I have State Farm, and the kid that hit the Jeep had Farmers, they both use a CCC Evaluation.

In short, they don't look to replace that exact vehicle, but what it would cost to replace it in like-kind, meaning, a well cared for, well maintained Cherokee with reasonable miles. It's the legal concept of "making you whole." Not just paying the tab, but to make you right where you belong. They check dealers to assess what they would sell a vehicle like that for.

The math on that one worked out well... We bought the Jeep for $1700 in 2007, drove it for 70k miles, and then got $3400 for it. Whoa. The Suburban we just bought, drove it off the lot, cash, for $5100, so it cost us only $1700... Not bad... not bad at all. Figure we drove the Jeep for free, all we had to do was gas and insurance.

Travelers SUCKS at this, too. I hate those bastards. I had two accidents where the fault lied on their customer... and both times, I had fights with them to get work covered, to get things looked at...

I was arguing with the adjuster over the 2nd accident, my 94 Prelude VTEC... a 6 wheel delivery truck (24' long like for furniture and stuff), clipped my left front wheel in a parking lot. Bent the living shit out of everything. The alignment was so far out... I was surprised they could get it back.

The column? they had to bend the bracket to straighten it, and when I bitched that it needed replacement, they blew me off. The adjuster was telling me I didn't know jack,and I told him he was a fucking tool for not listening to me and yes, I know my car better than you do you fucking asshole...

whew, still pisses me off 12+ years later. He really angered me. Tried to make me feel like I was a moron or something, but I know more about how Honda did their suspension then he ever knew, and when I put that rag of armor all around my finger, and I could no longer rim-ride where the column met the dash, without my finger jamming up, I knew I was in trouble. I used to be able to run that gap with no problem, after? It was listing to the right about 3mm, enough to stop me from dusting that area properly. When I told him that, he said "they are all out of alignment there." I replied, "no, they are not, cause mine wasn't until your insured hit my front wheel." ARGH... the asshole STILL pisses me off.

I ended up selling it, with full disclosure about the accident, but withholding my fears. If I was right, the new buyer had a legit claim against them for shitty repairs. The engine did dump an oil seal, causing an accident... even after I alerted him to the recall, he still did it himself. Apparently, the dealers in North Jersey suck. I have no idea what became of the car after that, so I am unaware of any major suspension failures down the road.

The other time was back in 1985, a little old lady hit the right rear corner of my 1981 Celica Coupe. Pleasant little car, good for a college kid. Good trunk, marginal back seat. Sunroof, air, 5spd. Ran pretty good.

However, she bent the rim when her bumper crossed from the fender to the quarter to the bumper. At the body shop, I expressed concern, and said, "the wheel was hit twice, I am worried about the bearing or even the axle." I was all of 20 and no one wanted to listen to some punk ass kid with some knowledge.

Except I was right... it was about 18 months after, the rear started to howl like crazy... and I went and bought a new/used rear end from the junk yard. My friend and former coworker, Doug, swapped it out for me... yup... right rear outer bearing was shot to shit. If the bearing was 4" round, lets say, there was a chunk a good 1" to 1.25" just gone. And the balls inside were all scored up.

I took the broken axle back to my insurance company, State Farm, for an opinion, and they said, sure, try it, 2 years hasn't expired.

So I refiled an additional claim and guess what... they blew me off, no proof it happened at that time, no proof it was from my car... blah blah blah...

All for a lousy $100 I wanted. If I had been asking for $5k, sure, but $100? The parts price and Doug's labour... I had receipts, Doug was willing to attest to the fact that he removed the axle, and that it came from the right rear side... all of that... but those cheap bastards...

Never EVER will buy insurance from Travelers. They have ripped me off enough to have gotten their pound of flesh from me. They low ball repairs, they don't do them right... it's crap.

I am impressed with Farmers and State Farm...

When my niece totaled my first Prelude, 1992 Si, SF ran the CCC on it and kicked back $16,999.00... on a car I had purchased 18 months earlier for $17,300.00!!! I also had been paying a bit extra on the car loan, so that was down to only $12,999.00... after my niece gave me the deductible back, I had some $4k to put down on my next car. Not bad, eh?

As I said, SF rocks. Farmers is very very good. And Travelers sucks.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 4:10

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

No complaints about Allstate, they have been good to me.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 4:23

tjpreul Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I think it depends on what state you live in. Not all operate in certain states. I have Farmers and have been happy. All of my vehicles are fully insured. I call my agent, tell him what coverage I want, and its done.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 4:44

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

A rose by any other name is still purple.

Attach file:

jpg  BH.jpg (27.72 KB)
852_511a38bcb2260.jpg 400X400 px
Posted on: 2013/2/12 12:42

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
ARGH... the asshole STILL pisses me off.

NIAGRA FALLS ......... STEP BY STEP ........ INCH BY INCH ........
Posted on: 2013/2/12 12:47

Ultraman Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Its a horrible thought that my pride and joy would get wrecked or stolen...I worry more about the stolen...but I would go right back to a GS....or the poor man's Z06 as I call it. It is everything I require in a Corvette, power, looks and draws people like a magnet. Part of that is ego I suppose but part is to meet folks and hear their Corvette stories and everyone has a Vette story. The same is true about Harleys......This car is the best all around Corvette I have ever owned.

My insurance company is State Farm and they may not be the cheapest but they have never failed to come through for me no matter what the circumstances. You can't go wrong there.

Awhile back a gal ran a red light and hit my daughters Envoy and totaled it. You may remember that. The gal who ran the red light had Progressive Insurance and they were very good to work with and I was impressed with how they handled their end of things.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 13:15

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2013/2/12 15:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Pearl Jam

Attach file:

jpg  852_4f103a182c8a5.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2013/2/12 15:04

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I think it depends on what state you live in. Not all operate in certain states. I have Farmers and have been happy. All of my vehicles are fully insured. I call my agent, tell him what coverage I want, and its done.

Same here with State Farm.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 16:08

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Its a horrible thought that my pride and joy would get wrecked or stolen...I worry more about the stolen...but I would go right back to a GS....or the poor man's Z06 as I call it. It is everything I require in a Corvette, power, looks and draws people like a magnet. Part of that is ego I suppose but part is to meet folks and hear their Corvette stories and everyone has a Vette story. The same is true about Harleys......This car is the best all around Corvette I have ever owned.

My insurance company is State Farm and they may not be the cheapest but they have never failed to come through for me no matter what the circumstances. You can't go wrong there.

Awhile back a gal ran a red light and hit my daughters Envoy and totaled it. You may remember that. The gal who ran the red light had Progressive Insurance and they were very good to work with and I was impressed with how they handled their end of things.

The Corvette is a very American experience.

The only other car I have owned that drew as much attention was my 92 Prelude. It was a new body style, it wasn't a huge seller and they were rather rarely seen. When I drove it to Sebring in 1993, I had people asking me what it was! Most were shocked to hear it was a Honda.
Posted on: 2013/2/12 16:10

SpectatorRacing Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

If I totalled mine I would buy a C5 or C6 salvage car for less than $12k and put $50k into it making it fast...er...and safe...er...

But zero dollars on the engine

Wish I wanted another C4, I'd be all over that Tyler's.
Posted on: 2013/2/13 2:47

BrianCunningham Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

That's a possibility more for me because I track the car.

And I've honestly thought of it, so I'd have a plan.

Get another LTX car and transfer the part over.
Posted on: 2013/2/13 2:48

Aboatguy Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Over the last couple of decades USAA has been good to me. As for a replacement car. It depends which part of my fleet got totalled. If it was the vette I'm leaning towards not replacing it. The G8 is coming up on the end of its warranty in 2014. So I may just throw the money on pedders suspension parts, AI heads and cam and maybe a maggie (if there's money left over). If I take the G8 I'd have to find something for the wife. Every now and again she's asked about a C6 maybe a C7 would be in the works.
If it were the G8, I'll be checking out the Holden that Chevy is going to sell. I really wish GM would make a car like that here. I love the CTSV but when I'm in the driver's seat there's no leg room in the backseat.

Mike
Posted on: 2013/2/13 5:20

CentralCoaster Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'd have to get another C4 and steal any good parts off mine. But I might pick up a '58 Chevy del ray first. Basically a poor man's impala, and a better/unique looking car compared to the 55-57.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/2/13 16:02

Aboatguy Re: "If I ever totalled my car..."
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I'd have to get another C4 and steal any good parts off mine. But I might pick up a '58 Chevy del ray first. Basically a poor man's impala, and a better/unique looking car compared to the 55-57.

Resized Image

Nice looking 58, IDK if I agree that its better looking car than the 55 and 56. I agree 58 an evolution of the 57.
IDK what in the hell they were thinking with the 59-60 body style.

I love the 55-70 big 2 door chevys with the exception of 59-60

To be honest I like the 71 and up 2 door styles and I loved the 94-96 four door......

But the 64-74 Chevelles are my passion. I miss my 64 SS, 69 396 SS and my 70 454 SS (it had black metal motion badges under the 454 SS badges and on the dash) since it was a $2000 car when I bought it with front damage in 1980 I'm sure it wasn't a clone. (especially since no one knew what the hell Motion meant back then)

MIke
Posted on: 2013/2/13 16:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.