Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

brut I find it funny...
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

That 16 people have voted for their favorite C4 and no one has chosen the Grand Sport yet.
Posted on: 2006/1/28 21:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:I find it funny...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

hm. that's interesting.

I think the ZR1 is popular due to the very special nature of the entire car... the engine, the body work... it's an entire package.

The GS, however cool, is a paint job. The LT4 was available throughout the line, and is a hot rodded SBC.

I am not trying to deminish the GS... I love'm... but that's the reality.
Posted on: 2006/1/29 7:30

Skidmarks RE:I find it funny...
Guru
Blue Mound, Illinois
98 Posts

I pretty much agree with Bogus. Make mine a wide body!
Posted on: 2006/1/30 21:52

VR-92 RE:I find it funny...
Guru
68 Posts

The LT-5 puts me over the edge. Gotta go with the ZR-1
Posted on: 2006/2/2 21:41

brut RE:I find it funny...
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I agree with you guys too. I was just observing that. I like the GS though, but I wish I had the ZR-1 in my Garage!
Posted on: 2006/2/3 1:39

SJW RE:I find it funny...
Guru
Central Maryland
51 Posts

I guess I've always been a bit of a contrarian.

I'll always admire the ZR1, but I don't aspire to owning one.

But I'd have a skunk without hesitation. Preferably a ragtop with black guts, but with only 137 of 'em out there, I don't think it's too likely I'll ever end up with one of those.

The Z16, BTW, is a bit more than just a paint job. Upgraded calipers, unique wheels, fender flares (on the targas), special embroidered upholstery, special emblems and badging, its own VIN sequence, etc.

The fact that only 1000 Z16s ever existed makes it highly desirable, too (and quite a bit more than just a paint job) IMHO.

The ZR1 is a legend. There can be no contesting this. But, given its complexity, parts-availability issues, the difficulty of finding anyone who knows how to do the work on one that I'm just not equipped to do, etc, it's one legend I'm content to admire when somebody else holds title to the car. If the ZR1's level of performance were my goal, I'd buy a Z06 or hotrod an LT1 or LT4.

The fact that the ZR1 isn't all that visually distinct from the base C4 probably enters into the picture for me a little bit, too. A skunk will instantly grab anyone's attention, and the LT4's performance, while a half-tick below the LT5, is most impressive for a car of its era. I'd love to own one.

Be well,

SJW

[size=18:23ca8d680c][/size:23ca8d680c][size=12:23ca8d680c][/size:23ca8d680c]
Posted on: 2006/2/3 21:17

VR-92 RE:I find it funny...
Guru
68 Posts

All good points except for the not very noticable difference between the looks. I have always thought the wide body made quite a difference in the ZR-1 and the wheels with the large deep rear end dish was always quite stunning. Under the hood was also quite and impressive look too!
Posted on: 2006/2/3 21:46

SJW RE:I find it funny...
Guru
Central Maryland
51 Posts

Quote:
All good points except for the not very noticable difference between the looks. I have always thought the wide body made quite a difference in the ZR-1 and the wheels with the large deep rear end dish was always quite stunning. Under the hood was also quite and impressive look too!

No argument here. I wasn't suggesting that the ZR1 looked no different or better than a base C4, only that at a glance, the average person wouldn't take any more note of the car than they would of a base C4.

The Z16, however, really leaps out at even the casual observer.

There have been times when I've seen a ZR1 from some distance, and not even realized that it wasn't a base C4 until I got a lot closer to it. I don't think that'll ever happen with a skunk...

Be well,

SJW
Posted on: 2006/2/5 18:58

BlackDragon Adding my 2 cents
Guru Newb
Toronto, Ontario
6 Posts

Although I love all corvettes, I find that the GS was not exceptionally special. Not especially hyped in power, and what about those 'silly' stuck on fender flares (originally they were glued and then fastened thereafter).

p.s. I don't mean to offend any GS owners, but if compared to the ZR, my vote is for the latter.
Posted on: 2006/4/30 8:27

bogus RE:I find it funny...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I think you will find that the LT4 equiped Vettes are mechanically identical to the GS.

This includes the front brakes...

I will not disagree that the GS is a special car... but it was made that way. The unique VIN, the paint, all that... it doesn't make the car any faster.

The ZR1, on the other hand, was special. The engine and body work is very special piece...
Posted on: 2006/5/7 2:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.