Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

rklessdriver 07-09-2016 MPC Real Street
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I have been planning to treat this race as a test session for the entire month since our last race.

The overfueling condition when the nitrous kit is activated has been a problem from day one since I had this fogger built. It has been solidly stuck in the 10.XX AFR range despite 3 different carburetors and regardless of what I flow the fuel pressure at. I joked at the last race that I was so tired of seeing it rich on the AFR nmeter and plugs looking like crap after every pass that I going to take the 31N jet out, put the 36N jet in and leave the 22F jet in.....

I wasn't quite that brave. I put the recommended 36N and 26F jets in and set fuel pressure to 6 psi to start.

My first round qualifying pass didn't go very good. I forgot to air the tires down... remembered that there was 25pis in the rear tires about the time I hit the burnout box.... Sure enough the car blew the tires off instantly. I peddled and got the car hooked up and watched the AFR meter all the way down.... 10.5 AFR showing entire run.

Q1 - 6.19@121MPH. 1.46 60ft.

Came back and dropped the fuel jet down. Ready for Q2 with a 36N 24F @ 6psi.

Managed to remember to air the tires down to 17.5psi for Q2. The car acts very funny going up on the trans brake... stumbles bad and takes a second to clear out.... I have to sit there after the tree comes down and hold the car for a second before I let it go. Car left like a pig, felt kinda slow and sure enough 11.3-11.6 AFR showing the entire run. At least we are making some progress on the tune up.

Q2 - 5.60@124MPH 1.30 60ft. Good enough for 7th on the ladder.

So I go back and decide to try and drop fuel pressure. Gonna make a big move from 6psi to 4 psi and see if I can get the AFR to show in the 12's for first round eliminations. I got nothing to loose as I'm up against a car capable of running 5.30's.

For whatever reason the car backfires going up on the trans brake and catches the carburetor on fire... well that sucks. Unbuckle my belts so I can reach the hood latch. Track and my crew guy get the fire out and I happen to notice that thru all the commotion by crew/track guys opening the hood and what not, the car didn't move out the lights, so the timer hasn't started yet.... Well lets make a test hit! I fire the engine back up put it on the brake and let it go.... car feels like a rocketship.... then instantly rattles the tires (like BAD wheel hop). I stay in it glancing at the AFR meter all the way to the line.... 11.6 AFR is the highest I saw.

E1 - 5.75@122MPH... 1.38 60ft. Like an idiot, I'm not even buckled in... yep in my haste I forgot to put my 5pt harness back on.

I go talk to the track guy about making a test run after E2. They say I'm good to go, so I go back and take some more jet out of the nitrous kit.... You guessed it. 36N 22F@6psi. Just what I jokingly threatened to do a month ago.

The car comes up on the brake fine this time, and I when I let it go it takes off. Feels like a rocket ship for sure this time.... very small power wheelie to about 40ft out.... Nice and straight and I can tell just from the sound of the engine that its running good. glance at the AFR meter and 12.5 AFR in low gear, 13.05 AFR on shift recovery for a millisecond then back to 12.6ish in high gear. I am ecstatic at the big end of the track waiting on my crew guy to get there with the 4 wheeler to pull it back to the pit.

He pulls up and hands me the slip.

E2 Test pass - 5.67@125.6MPH. 1.32 60ft. I am shocked because it felt like so much better of a pass, but the clocks don't lie....

Finally we have the MPH we have been looking for... but now the 60ft sucks.

Video of the race is here on Youtube. Give it a like as the guy comes to most of our races and has started posting the videos up and he sure makes it easier for me to show everybody else what we are doing out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae2fM7QQgNs

Next race is going to be a challenge working on getting that 60ft back in the low 1.2X's... but if I can the car is going to fly.... Hope to see a few 5.40 time slip's.

Thanks Gurus.
Will
Posted on: 2016/7/11 19:10

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: 07-09-2016 MPC Real Street
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

How close are you to Mason-Dixon?
Posted on: 2016/7/12 5:02

rklessdriver Re: 07-09-2016 MPC Real Street
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
How close are you to Mason-Dixon?

It's 86 miles from my house.

Little over 1.5 hour drive on a good day but I live south east of the track and I have to skirt DC to get there.... It can be a terrible 3 hour drive.
Will
Posted on: 2016/7/12 12:46

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

You run at other tracks so, 1.5 hours is like going over to the 7-11 ( is for me anyway). The Reno track is closed, it was a 30 minute tow, darn it. ThunderHill is 4 hours which still seems short, Laguna Seca is 6.5 hours.

When I got back from college, I rented a house in Greencastle, Pa. , 10 min to the border on I80 and (IIRC) 15 minutes from there to Mason-Dixon. I went a few times but was running flat track bikes so, I usually was at Hagerstown Speedway.

Good to see you're making progress with the car, racing's never easy but always fun.

We had fuel problems with the Formula Atlantic at the last race and again t a test day. Changing a fuel pump at the track's no fun, it's down inside the fuel cell and just getting the fuel cell cover off takes an hour,

Yea, sometimes you gotta treat a race day as a test day, no way around it and it's not like you can go practice on the street.
Posted on: 2016/7/12 14:05

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Here is an in car video from Saturday.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5btzv3dzkukbp2/002.MP4?dl=0

Enjoy the ride!
Will
Posted on: 2016/7/14 14:01

93ragtop Re: 07-09-2016 MPC Real Street
Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

Hey Will,
The ride along's are fun!! You dont have one when you stood it on the bumper do ya? Id like to see that! But from the camera.
Posted on: 2016/7/17 22:25
93 White Vert. 3.73 gears, Yank 3000 converter,385ci. Built by Rklessdriver!! Ross pistons, Scat Rods, and Crank, custom Mike Jones Cam, AFR 210 heads, Exotic Muscle LT headers, magnaflow mufflers Meziere water pump. My best run 11.19 ET at 124.63mph

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

93ragtop wrote:
Hey Will,
The ride along's are fun!! You dont have one when you stood it on the bumper do ya? Id like to see that! But from the camera.

Hey Rich,
I wish I had the camera in the car that day. The video would have been awesome, but my "pit crew" forgot to bring it.... along with a bunch of other useful stuff like the fuel funnel and spark plug socket....

First race of the year and we just didn't have our routine down.
Will

Posted on: 2016/7/18 16:57

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
but my "pit crew" forgot to bring it.... along with a bunch of other useful stuff like the fuel funnel and spark plug socket....

First race of the year and we just didn't have our routine down.
Will

Driving to a road race the first year I had the Formula Ford, was 2 hours into the tow when I realized I forgot my helmet. My 4 hour tow turned into 8 hours.

Had to make up a "trailer load checklist" cause when I start thinking about racing, I can get brain dead.
Posted on: 2016/7/19 15:13

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.