Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
167 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Callaway
A builder of special edition Corvettes.

Very valuable, some exceed 6-figures.

Most notable is the B2K, 1987-1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

rklessdriver 08-26-2016 MPC Real Street Race
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Well my brilliant idea of dropping the base timing down to 25* so I didn't drop as much didn't work worth a crap....

Poor car barely idled and it wouldn't even rev up let alone do a burnout without backfiring and catching on fire..... (which it did 2X in the burnout box)

I backed out of the box and went back to my pit not even attempting to make a pass in Q1. I was totally pissed off and frustrated.

A new approach was going to be needed.... So I revert back to what I know at least works OK. I bumped the base timing up to 31*... car now idles fine and revs up fine. Went into my ignition box and set the retard to 10*. So 16* total going down the track.... it's hot... 96*F and the DA is +3200 feet with 97 water grains in the air. In all actuality it can probably take another degree of timing but I'm trying to be conservative.

I set my retard timer in the progressive controller to .15 second. On to the nitrous tables.... 25% start percentage flat lined for .35 second then 25% to 100% all in by .85 second. No idea where this tune up came from.... Pulled it out of my you know what.... anyway I just hope it will go A to B and can get some kind of qualifying

Q2, I do my burnout, start my purge... crap bottle pressure is like 1300psi and I need 900psi.... I'm purging and purging until I don't think I'll have enough nitrous left in the bottle to make the whole pass... bottle pressure now 1100psi... well that will have to do, so I move forward and line up, hit the brake and wait for the tree.... tree lights up and I let go of the brake...

WOW the car hits the tires like a ton of bricks and takes off like a rocket ship. I know it's either about to make a hell of a pass or tear the back bumper off.... the nose drops and it motors out like never before. I never even hear the guy in the next lane. I know it's a good pass.

5.43@127MPH. 1.22 60ft. That my friends is a personal best by a huge margin but I am only qualified 8th on the ladder.

I don't make any big changes... I want to see what the car reacts like with a full bottle and 900psi of bottle pressure like it should have. I know it'll hit softer so I shorten the 25% flat line from .35 second to .30 second.

E1 - I have the yellow Mustang the number 7 qualifier. I pre stage and my opponent kinda slowly rolls both bulbs catching me off guard.... I was expecting a little more time to get my car up on the brake.... Tree comes down and I'm asleep at the fricken wheel.... Car leaves good but I can tell it's still soft with the 900psi bottle pressure compared to 1100psi in Q1. He's a car ahead of me the whole way but I take that as a good sign because his car is a total beast in the class and current record holder (he had problems in Qualifying)... I know his stuff is fast and he didn't pull on me.

I go 5.45@126mph. 1.25 60ft.

Go back and turn the car around for a test hit... track guy says they will let me make ONE! at the end of round 2.

Set my progressive to 25% to 35% in .3 second and then 35% to 100% all in by .80 second. Leave everything else the same.

Bunch of us in the lanes to test.... I watch the first 2 cars go down and notice the 1/4 mile clocks are on.... Hummm that's interesting.

I do my burn out, bottle pressure perfect after a few purges at 900psi then stage.... Tree lights up and I let off the brake. It takes off hard... I know it's gonna the equal of Q1.... we hit the 1/8th mile clocks and my opponent is still in it so I stay in it.... we approach the 1000ft clocks and I'm ahead by a door... Mine is absolutely flying and the 7500RPM shift light just came on in high gear... So it's just getting started, so I decide to run it out the back door. I hit the /14 mile clocks and get on the brakes... right away I notice I may need better brakes.... that big orange net before the sand trap looks really big and I'm still doing 80MPH at least.... I stand on the brakes harder and pray the tires don't lock.... the car hauls down and I make the last turn off sweating bullets.

8.48@160mph. 5.43@127mph. 1.23 60ft.

I'll probably never make another 1/4 mile pass in this car. I would need to put a parachute on it and I don't want to do that... too "race car" IMO. Really thrilled with the 160mph 1/4 mile thou. BTW the car was rock solid at that speed.

Our semi official Youtube videographer got qualifying and eliminations but didn't get our test hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdUN8w_uzQ

Next race is in 2 weeks. 10 September.

As always, thanks Gurus and I hope you enjoy my story telling and the videos of our class.
Will
Posted on: 2016/8/28 0:54

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: 08-26-2016 MPC Real Street Race
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:

8.48@160mph. 5.43@127mph. 1.23 60ft.

Will

That's one hell of a run, Will,
Congrats
Posted on: 2016/8/28 15:35

BrianCunningham Re: 08-26-2016 MPC Real Street Race
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

That's hauling!

will they let you attach a 'chute to a trailer hitch?
Posted on: 2016/8/28 18:58

BillH Re: 08-26-2016 MPC Real Street Race
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

BTW, our day at the track sucked, posted what happened in off topic.
Posted on: 2016/8/28 19:14

rklessdriver Re: 08-26-2016 MPC Real Street Race
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Far as I know to be rule book legal, the parachute has to be mounted a certain way.... Mason Dixon is an NHRA sanctioned track so they are very observant on safety rules....

I just don't want to make the car look like a Pro Mod with a huge spoiler and parachute hanging off the back. IMO we got too much of that in the class now.... half of the field look like Pro Mods and I think more are moving in that direction... I guess I'm the only one that wishes my engine would still fit under the stock hood LOL.

Running the 1/4 mile isn't a priority for me.... actually next year I am hoping to be able to afford changing the rear gear and transmission low gear to make it more suited to 1/8th mile specific racing.

I only made this 1/4 mile pass because I had the rare opportunity and I wanted to see how much faster it is compared to the last time I made a big end hit.

Sorry your weekend didn't go as well as it should have Bill. It's nothing more time and more money won't fix thou.

Thanks guys.
Will
Posted on: 2016/8/28 19:44

TommyT-Bone Re: 08-26-2016 MPC Real Street Race
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Well written and VERY entertaining read. Happy for you, Will.
Posted on: 2016/8/29 13:03

rklessdriver Re: 08-26-2016 MPC Real Street Race
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Thanks Tommy.
Will
Posted on: 2016/8/29 13:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.