Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D44
This references the rear differential.

The D36 was the smaller unit. Used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes after that.

The ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

rklessdriver 2017 Winter Upgrade/Update thread
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I got the 84 torn apart a few weeks ago. This was a pretty serious thrash as I only had 3 days to tow the car to Georgia, get the engine and trans out as well as disassemble most of the front body plastic stuff, disassemble and inspect the engine and then drive home back to DC.

You can see I have car and engine parts everywhere as we blew it apart as fast as possible... I snapped a pic once everything was apart and we were getting ready to inspect put all the engine parts on the shelf.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_20161112_200736394_zps1dnsayja.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

We have just been waiting to drop her off for her appointment with the chassis shop, which was Tuesday. The chassis builder has been sending me pics every day of the progress. The work is being done by Coupe Performance in Covington, Georgia.

New front motor plate.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/imagejpeg_zps31v2c2hl.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Passenger side of the mid-plate.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/imagejpeg_2_zpsz3fsxl84.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Drivers side of the mid-plate.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/imagejpeg_3_zpshrsbbuhx.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Pinto manual rack and pinion steering conversion... as well as the cross member which has now been clearance a little for a bigger oil pan should I want one in the future and you can see it's had the factory motor mount towers and rack mounts all cut off.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/imagejpeg_4_zpshz9tt1ff.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

My brother is going to do the new coilover shock conversion for the font suspension himself as well as the mounting of the battery in front of the radiator for better weight bias after the chassis guy is finished up with this stuff next week. I post pics when he gets started on that.

I am going to Indy next week for PRI. Going to cut a deal on the new pats I need for the engine update. Some new pistons and new roller lifters.

The cyl heads are at Chad Speier's of Speier Racing Heads in Kansas right now and he already has them apart inspecting them. He said the valve job looks mint after 3yrs! We are going to put new PAC springs and retainers/locks on them and he is updating the combustion chamber and exhaust port/valve job to make a little more power on nitrous.

A few other little updates happening this winter is the wiring of my new MSD 7531 ignition box (which is replacing my old trusty Mallory 685), new bigger aluminum radiator and remote mount PRP water pump.

With these changes and as great as the car was running at the end of this 2016 season, I have a feeling that 2017 is gonna be awesome.

Hope you like the pics and updates on my progress.... Thanks Gurus.
Will
Posted on: 2016/12/1 18:22

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

93ragtop Re: 2017 Winter Upgrade/Update thread
Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

Hey Will,

I know you are doing pistons, I assume to raise compression even more?
Heads, are you shooting for more flow?
Last question, are you changing cams?

Ive seen this car run, and man is it impressive!!
Posted on: 2016/12/2 17:30
93 White Vert. 3.73 gears, Yank 3000 converter,385ci. Built by Rklessdriver!! Ross pistons, Scat Rods, and Crank, custom Mike Jones Cam, AFR 210 heads, Exotic Muscle LT headers, magnaflow mufflers Meziere water pump. My best run 11.19 ET at 124.63mph

rklessdriver Re: 2017 Winter Upgrade/Update thread
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Plan is to keep the compression ratio at 13.1 SCR but the new pistons will have a bigger dome on them because I am going to open the quench distance up more with a thicker head gasket as compared to the current configuration.

The pistons are going to be a totally different design. Next week I will be at PRI and will be talking to GIBTEC Pistons about what I want to do v/s what they think I get away with doing.

My biggest concern is the ring package. Right now I have a .043-1/16-3/16 and I want to go with a .043-.043-3mm.

I plan to make some fairly large physical and functional design changes to the piston as well....

I plan to keep the vertical gas ported top ring land but want to do away with the accumulator groove between the top and second ring... that was the point of failure last time with my current Diamond Pistons.

I want to use a little shorter wrist pin and use round wire lock retainers v/s the double wound spiro-locks I have now. This will allow me to use a thicker stronger pin at the same weight as current... or move some weight around to the piston if needed.

The dome/valve reliefs will be a mirror image of the combustion chamber instead of the generic dome/valve reliefs I have now.

Lastly I want to use a piston guided connecting rod.... instead of the traditional crank cheek guided rods. This is a big deal in max effort Naturally Aspirated engines... I want to see if it will work as well in power adder engines too.

FYI her is a link to GIBTEC Pistons in case anyone is interested. All of their pistons are billet. We started using them in all our max effort stuff 2yrs ago and they are the best people I have ever worked with in regard to piston/ring design.

http://gibtecpistons.com/

The cyl heads are going to be freshened up with new valve springs/retainers/locks. The valve job on the intake is going to be touched up lightly. The exhaust port is going to get some additional work as well as a totally different valve job which will be better suited to my use of nitrous as a power adder. Like wise the combustion chamber is going to have the quench areas hit with a "softening cut", which will help widen my tuning window with the bigger doses of nitrous to come in 2017.

I am going to run the current camshaft at least another year. It was designed for a little more power than I am making now and I need a common point of reference with all the changes to the cyl heads and induction system we made this year and next year.

I am really excited for next season. I think these changes I am making to the engine are going to be worth a surprising amount of power.... That extra power with the changes to the chassis should really make the car much, much faster. You will have to come out to the track with me again.
Will
Posted on: 2016/12/2 20:02

Matatk Re: 2017 Winter Upgrade/Update thread
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Lots of work there! Did you solve the bogging issue?
Posted on: 2016/12/3 17:11

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Lots of work there! Did you solve the bogging issue?

Yea. For my part it wasn't that bad. We have had this car apart a couple of times so we know what to do. The driving distance involved and short time table was the worst part of it.

On the chassis I am amazed that he got everything knocked out in just a few days... Even came in $500 under budget, because it turned out to be less work than he thought it might be. Super nice and honest guy, he could have just kept the car an extra week, delivered it when he promised and no one would have been the wiser.

The bogging was entirely timing related.

I found that the top plate on my MSD distributor had come loose and was retarding the timing... when the car was on the 2 step the timing would jump back and forth.

It was a totally different car at the last race with that fixed.
Will
Posted on: 2016/12/3 21:28

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Few more pics.

I actually drove down to GA and did the front coilover conversation myself.

The upper mount is a prefab piece sold from many oval track supply companies. I shortened it to fit on the factory shock tower and to be the correct length... then welded a back plate on it to add a little strength and give me more area to weld it on shock tower with.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_20170114_110749928_zpsxtwmn4qj.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Here's a back shot of it welded to the shock tower.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_20170114_125111800_zpsvyhngsdb.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Few side shots with the coilover in place.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_20170114_125059988_zpskrreb8ch.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_20170114_125049290_zpsv2b4njot.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_20170114_125038461_zpsj3e423uz.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

I TIG welded everything. IMO I'm barely passable as a welder or fabricator and I'm sure a real fabricator could do nicer work, but this was something I just had to do for myself....

I've seen so many people do these coilover conversations and always thought that there was a much cleaner way to do it....

BTW all the factory plastic splash shields and inner fender pieces fit right back in place no problem.

My phone camera doesn't really capture the detail of how good this worked out and looks.

The shock tower still needs a smidge trimmed on the backside to clear the spring and the rest of the seams welded where the factory shock tower is spot and interval welded to the side of the frame... gonna let my brother use MIG to do that as that's what the factory used.

Hope everyone likes my work and the design is used gives you ideas if your interested in doing a front coilover conversion.

I also relocated the battery box/tray to the front off the baciside of the front bumper crash bar but didn't take any pics. Also fabricated a removable wire cage that mounts my new stand up nitrous bottle bracket to the passenger seat. Just got it done before I had to drive back home.

More to follow as I or my brother have time to work on it.
Will
Posted on: 2017/1/19 0:09

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I spent this weekend working on my intake manifold. For some reason I figured I'd just take the intake back home with me and convert the carb flange from 4150 to 4500 by hand.....

Kind of a bad idea as I have my trusty Milwaukee grinder, some burrs and cartridge rolls/mandrels but I seriously lack any type of porting bench.

I used the utility rack on my 4 wheeler in the backyard for a porting bench.

I took this pic when I was about halfway done roughing the shape in.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20170218_175314149_zpsrd0ru4jt.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

You can see from the previous work I did to the plenum (I opened the plenum up .400" from as cast with my dads Bridgeport and then fixed the runner entry's) I still had to remove about 1/4" from the sides and 1/2" from the corners to convert it to get it big enough for the Dominator (Holley 4500).... then fix the runner entry's without hitting air.

Pushing the upper runner entry's back as far as I can into a nice radius. You can see I got the collet of the grinder into the flange a bit there.... non critical area so no biggie. I think I had everything roughed in at this point and was about to start my "finish work"....

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20170219_161748083_HDR_zpsg4a76asz.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

It's hard to see but I also reworked the runner divider that extends into the plenum. Once I got the plenum corners cut back far enough it was looking to me like a hindrance to the inner (4) runners as far as line of sight, so I cut it down and changed the shape a little to uncover the inner runner more. I could still do more in this regard but I don't want to stray too far from the factory design as it's made good power so far.

I didn't take too many pics of this work because it's really tedious work and hard to stop and take pics of different steps but I took this shot of the completed project with the finish work completed and a small 1/2" spacer pinned in place on top of the plenum.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20170219_172618031_zps8acpmiyl.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

I still might go back and try to put a steeper radius on the upper runner entry's but the intake is getting pretty thin in a few places and I don't want to have to weld it up.

Now last year I ran a 2" tapered spacer when I switched from a 4150 to 4500 Dominator carb but it placed the carb too close to the bottom of the hood for my linking. I already have a 6" cowl scoop on the hood, so it's not like I can add anything else without it being taller than the roof.

Converting the intake manifold flange to the Holley 4500 pattern seemed like the best solution so that's what I did. With just the 1/2" spacer on top it'll be back to the same hood clearance I had with the 4150 carb.

We'll see how it works out on the dyno and on the track in a few months.
Will
Posted on: 2017/2/21 20:25

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Nice work!
Posted on: 2017/2/22 0:25

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Not a lot going on right now with the car.

My new tires came in Friday. New MT 275 Pro Radials for the rear and MT 26X4.0-15's for the front.

We had a heck of a time with the CNC guy about getting the CAD file for the combustion chamber so we can have the pistons made.... Dude is difficult to work with...

So said screw it and ended up making a mold of the cyl heads combustion chamber once I got the heads back.... actually we made (2) molds because.... with the advent of CNC haven't had to make one in about 10yrs... so was kinda rusty at it and screwed the first mold up.

Second mold came out great and it's on it's way to the piston mfgr now. Should have the new pistons in 2 weeks.

We have everything else to put the engine back together.... everything else has already been measured and clearances are verified/checked - except the pistons and bore. So once we have pistons it'll be fairly painless to bore/hone the block, file fit the rings, clean the block up and assemble. Then off to the dyno!

Car wise.... still got to set up the new rear end gear, mount the new tires, and wire the car for the new ignition box. Relatively simple and short lead time work.

Also have to cut the front part of the passenger side exhaust pipe off and weld a new 3.5" slip connector on it.... It's bashed up pretty good and doesn't hold tight to the header collector with the band clamp anymore.

A lot of work done and a lot still to go before May 13th.
Will
Posted on: 2017/3/28 19:01

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

After some miscommunication and technical difficulties that put me way behind, I now have new pistons.... Definitely worth the wait and trouble.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Now to bore and hone the block.....

Pretty much screwed for class racing this season. Hoping to get it back together so I can use the rest of this year to test and see where else I can improve the rest of the car.

Will
Posted on: 2017/6/12 23:40
Edited by Matatk on 2017/6/13 3:38:26
Edited by Matatk on 2017/6/13 3:38:58

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Sorry Will, I tried to fix your picture links but no luck. I'll give it another shot later. Not sure if it's an issue with Dropbox or our site.
Posted on: 2017/6/13 3:41

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Thanks Matt.

It's funny because I stopped using Photobucket mostly because of issues with them.....

IF you can't fix them I'll upload them to Photobucket and repost.

People will want to see these little billet aluminum works of art.
Will
Posted on: 2017/6/13 19:48

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Posted on: 2017/6/14 3:10

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Alright 4 post just to do this:

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/Piston%201_zpsptzpoty4.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/Piston%202_zpsjgo7zs8g.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/Piston%203_zps4n0mlqpr.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/Piston%204_zps8jlxun2k.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

I'll post up more pics once we get started on engine assembly.
Will
Posted on: 2017/6/15 19:58

pianoguy Re: 2017 Winter Upgrade/Update thread
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Well, they look serious ;)
Posted on: 2017/6/15 22:22

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Just another little update.

Heading to Georgia tomorrow to work some more on the car.

I built a totally new 3rd member for the 9" rear end, that I need to install.

I was just going to put a new 3.89 ring and pinion in the old 3rd member but decided it never hurts to have extra parts.... $1300.00 bucks to have extra parts....

The new one is a Yukon aluminum thru bolt housing, 4.30 Pro Gears, new light weight 35 spline spool. Pretty much same 3rd member as I currently have except 4.30 vs 3.89 ratio and the new gear set is a special light weight design and made of 9130 high impact material.... no complaints about the regular old gears I was running thou. Got 2 yrs out of that R&P set before it cratered the drive face.... and I do already have a new 3.89 R&P set to make it like new... like I said extra parts....

So why the gear ratio change? Because I also ordered a new Powerglide transmission with a 1.69 low gear ratio. That set me back $3500.00.... So my old 1.80 ratio Powerglide is going to be relegated to extra parts.

So those are some pretty serious upgrades, but I didnt race at all this year so might as well spend that saved $$$$ on worth while parts that will make the car faster.

Now the new 4.30 gear and 1.69 PG combo are going to keep from making any more 1/4 mile passes. Its going to be a bunch better in the 1/8 mile thou and since I mostly race 1/8 mile, thats what we need to focus on.

I need to finish up a little work on the intake manifold. We will see how much I dan get done.
Posted on: 2017/9/14 21:29

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Will, are the carb issues all sorted out?
Posted on: 2017/9/14 21:59

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Will, are the carb issues all sorted out?

Matt,
While I did have one issue year before last, where moisture and evaporated fuel messed up one of my carbs....

I actually figured out the problem that I was having, right before the last race of last season. Sucks because I chased it all season and learned almost nothing about tuning the car.

Turned out to be a problem with the MSD distributor. The top plate for the advance had worked itself loose.... In a race car you remove the weights and springs, and use a little stud/nut to lock the advance out....

Well over time the vibration had loosened it up enough so that when I had the car on the 2 step it would back the timing up causing the car to stumble or backfire when I let go of the 2 step/trans brake.... or worse the car would leave on no power and then do a huge wheel stand the very next pass when I changed the tune up to compensate....

It was a seriously tough problem to find because it was so inconsistant. Sometimes the car would make a decent pass and then go to crap.... when I checked the timing it would be off in left field and othertimes it would actually move back to where I set it....

The plate was loose enough to move when up on the 2 step.... but it took alot of effort to move it by hand and even thou I checked by twisted on it and the rotor a few times I never felt it move until right before the last race.

I tightened it up, reset the timing and it was a totally new car the last time I raced it.
Will
Posted on: 2017/9/16 12:38

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

I think you did post/mention that but I completely forgot. Glad you got it worked out.
Posted on: 2017/9/17 3:35

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Got the intake manifold completed.

I got sidetracked with 2 other things.

(1) Fooling around with my cyl heads as they needed to be surfaced to clean up some minor brinneling from the head gaskets.

(2) going with my dad to help customers (3 of them) at the dirt oval track (Senoia Speedway) Saturday night.... worked out well for the shop cars.

Our Hobby car finished 2nd in the race and wrapped up the season points championship with 3 races still left.

Our Crate Late Model also finished 2nd in the race and also wrapped up the seasons point championship.

Our Limited Late Model ended up finishing 5th in the race. He's like 7th in the points. Not bad for him, as he is only in his second season as a race car driver period and he's competing in one of the top classes. He should have started out in Hobby or something less demanding/competitive to gain driving experience but it's his money. We only build the engine.

I haven't been to a dirt oval race in a long time and if I go again anytime soon, I will be temped to sell the drag car and build myself a Late Model.

I use to hot lap my dads Super Late Model when I was 16-17yrs old and had a Hobby car that I raced weekly back then.... I haven't driven on dirt in over 20yrs.... I wonder if I could still be competitive?

Here is a Go Pro video from the Limited car. Race starts at 4:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTouDm-cIo

Will

Posted on: 2017/9/19 16:44

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Well the engine is almost back together and we will be going back on the dyno in few weeks.

Had a minor problem with the Titan oil pump, which ate a thrust shim.... nothing serious damage wise just need a new shim.... Some minor wear on the aluminum housing but nothing that will hurt anything.

https://imgur.com/HLBz1CV

https://imgur.com/KQl8liy

The serious part came when I called Titan Engineering only to find they lost everything (Home, Shop - Everything burned to the ground) in the Ca wild fires just before Christmas.

I was able to get a new shim (actually a box of them) from Mcmaster Carr.

We got the accessory drive with the Alternator and Vacuum Pump sorted with the new motor plate. Amazingly we didn't have to change anything. Same short drive mandrel and same brackets for the accessories. Minor whittling on the motor plate some for clearance and drilling and tapping a few holes was all it took.

https://imgur.com/uRXSK8e

I also changed the appearance of the engine a little this year. I had the Intake and Valve covers powder coated grey.... I asked for light grey, was expecting some kind of metallic but got this... No complaints, it looks nice and does away with the murdered out look everyone else has these days.

https://imgur.com/fdeDQnC

https://imgur.com/KC4S2GI

We also finally changed the rear header tube on the drivers side.... so tired of getting burned and fighting to get a wrench in there every time I change that plug. Also had the headers coated with high temp ceramic as they were starting to look pretty rough (originally they are just painted silver from Stahl).

I don't have a pic of the original tube route off the flange here but it actually touched the plug wire boot.

https://imgur.com/W6eZhcU

https://imgur.com/ykGf6XA

Finished product looks great.

https://imgur.com/BkK9MvS

I'll let you know how it does on the dyno in a few weeks. Got a few different fuels (VP C23 and Q16) and 2 big carbs... My new (well new 2yrs ago) AED Dominator and my brothers C&S Aerosol Billet Dominator.

Anything better than the 755HP it put down last time is gonna be great.
Will
Posted on: 2018/2/1 16:18

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

While waiting for the dyno schedule to clear out, we did some more fitting and fabrication to the car itself.

Dropped the engine in place and built a bracket to mount the new remote water pump and fabricated the new -12AN lines from the engine to the pump.

https://imgur.com/ZyV4JFx

Fits in there real nice.

Also put the new rear center section with the 4.30 gears under it but it looks just like the old one so no pics....

We still have to fabricate some support braces for the rear of the body as it's starting to crack on the rear quarter panel at the B pillar.... I think it's caused from a combo of the car hitting the rear bumper so hard a few times and the fact that we cut the rear deck out to fit the 3 link/straight rear under there.

Also finishing up the re-wire as far as moving the battery up to in the front of the radiator.... had to get a remote relay for the battery cut off switch.... waiting on some cable ends and it will be complete.

More to come as we complete it.
Will
Posted on: 2018/2/6 20:43

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Very cool - good luck with your dyno run!
Posted on: 2018/2/7 2:06

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Dyno is Friday.

Everyone want to take a guess at how much power we make?

Will
Posted on: 2018/2/12 17:20

93ragtop Re: 2017 Winter Upgrade/Update thread
Guru
Manassas Va
61 Posts

Im going to guess 810hp at 7500 rpms!! Look forward to hearing what you dyno at and then look forward to seeing you run at the track!!
Posted on: 2018/2/15 16:25
93 White Vert. 3.73 gears, Yank 3000 converter,385ci. Built by Rklessdriver!! Ross pistons, Scat Rods, and Crank, custom Mike Jones Cam, AFR 210 heads, Exotic Muscle LT headers, magnaflow mufflers Meziere water pump. My best run 11.19 ET at 124.63mph

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Dyno is Friday.

Everyone want to take a guess at how much power we make?

Will

Nope, but I bet it's ridiculous
Posted on: 2018/2/16 2:46

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

We put in a ton of work on the dyno.

The engine tuned and ran very well on VP C23 fuel with my AED carburetor which is what I intend to race the car with this season. AF curve was beautiful. 12.7@4900RPM tapering to 12.9@7500RPM.

785HP@7400RPM 614TQ@6200RP.

Now many may think this is a high RPM engine and it is but it still puts down over 500TQ@4500RPM the lowest RPM I pulled it (you don't normally start a dyno pull on a racing engine very far below peak TQ). It also carries 500TQ to nearly 8,000RPM. Very flat TQ curve for an engine of this magnitude.

The engine was not happy on VP Q16 fuel at all. Spent alot of time fooling with jetting and air bleds in both my AED and C&S carburetors to no avail.... the fuel curve looked horrific no matter what I did. Starting out around 12.5@5000RPM then going pig rich 11.5@6000RPM and then tapering to lean at 13.2@7500RPM.

Still made 773HP@7000RPM 613TQ@6200RPM with the C&S.

Made 562HP@7000RPM and 602TQ@5600RPM with the AED.

Both carburetor companies said I was wasting my time trying to run oxgenated fuel in a carburetor not built specifically for it.... had to prove it to myself and I guess I did.

The engine may have been able to touch 800HP with a proper Q16 carburetor... but we will never know.

All and all I thrilled with the engine and the changes I made to it. This is the end of me developing this engine. I am going to run it few more years and begin development of something "Bigger and Better" next year. I hope to have "Bigger and Better" in the car for the 2020 season.

Thanks for all the support. I hope everybody enjoyed the glimpse into what it takes to make this kind of power with 1955 technology.
Will
Posted on: 2018/2/20 14:55

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Here is a Dyno Video and a Dyno Graph from the Q16 testing (773HP).

https://youtu.be/OpfCJfD2FUg

Resized Image

Will

Posted on: 2018/2/20 16:16

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yowzahh, she sounds sweet!
Posted on: 2018/2/21 2:24

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Congrats on the success, Will.
Posted on: 2018/2/21 6:56

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Thanks!

I have really enjoyed building and racing this engine (and car) over the past few years. As well as being able to share my success and failures with all of you that read my post here.

Stay tuned to the drag racing section. I have an entire Season of racing results and updates coming. Season starts May 19, but I will be doing some (hopefully lots) pre season testing in the months till then.
Will
Posted on: 2018/2/21 20:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.