Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

bogus It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

The site has about died...

To be honest, it never fully recovered from when the host died nearly 3 years ago.

For those that are not aware, we were being hosted by a firm called Beantown, they were bought out by a guy named Will who had a firm called Fleet Networks.

In April 2015, Will stopped answering the phone and their security certificate expired. This means I didn't want to put my credit card into a system that wasn't secure. To make matters worse, at the same time, my credit card got hit for its automated payment! I was paying for nothing. That required a call to the bank and they were able to get me my last 2 payments back and kill off the auto pay. Whew.

After several attempts to call and only getting a Spanish speaking outbound message, I figured that the gig was up and transferred everything I could to Go Daddy. The problem is that Fleet held the URLs for another 4 or 5 months. Which meant that for that period, even with email blasts, users were informed that we were gone... I did upload a page to reroute them here, but I don't know how long that lasted.

I appreciate the loyalty of those that have stuck it out, but we need to get some new life in here.

Any suggestions?

One thing I want to do is return to the corvetteguru.com domain. I did finally get it back. I think corvetteforum.guru hasn't helped one damned bit.

I want to upgrade the software... Xoops is stuck in neutral... they are "working" on a version 3.0, but that means the Xoops community needs to step up with new modules and they haven't. This is the same editor for the last 12 years...

There are also bugs they can't explain or deny are happening.

I also know that facebook is a major part of this... there are 3 or 4 dedicated pages for C4's alone, and the same for each other generation and 5 or 6 Corvette general pages. The problem? The same damned questions get asked over and over again and there is zero search ability.

In part of the revamping, I plan on rebuilding the facebook page and in doing so, will reinforce the free forum with searching.

Anyother ideas?

Please discuss!!! I like having the site and want to keep it up and running. Just need some ideas.

Posted on: 2017/12/31 20:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

teebee Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12350 Posts

Not sure what the answer is Andy. But I've noticed the same thing elsewhere. Maybe Facebook can jump-start the site again.
Posted on: 2018/1/2 4:51

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

vetteblondie Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4630 Posts

Andy, I'm sorry for all the hassles you've had to endure with this, that many of us were totally unaware of. Let us know how we can help you - each of us have different skill sets, and some may possess none that are useful. But, put the needs out there and let us see what we can do. Do you need graphics made to help? Do you need someone to look for a different host? Any help with setting up something such as a new site or a FB business page, etc? I'm a member over at another small forum that a while back had to redo things as well and stuff seems to be fine, I can inquire there with our fearless leader to see if he can help any, or get you two connected if need be.
And, thanks for all you do!
Posted on: 2018/1/2 19:37

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

bogus Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

VB - thanks. Graphics is going to be important on the next version.

We have a good host now. GoDaddy ain't going nowhere!

Right now, I am sifting through software options... I will post my results over the weekend.

We already have a fb page, I just need to change it about and use fb ads to get traffic there to get migration here. Using the message "fb is fun, but isn't good for tech research" kinda thing.

Thanks!!!!
Posted on: 2018/1/3 15:30

Ultraman Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14705 Posts

When I came on in 09 this was a fairly robust site....lots of active members and some good hard core tech advice mostly for the C4 and guys who were doing the 383 conversion......the Admins here, are and were top drawer. Most of you guys could rebuild a C4 with your eyes shut.

I think that as the C4 has faded so has the site......although a majority of active members here still own and drive C4's.....also we are all older now with the average age being late 50's or early 60's.....( except for the tool man Matt ) not so much wrenching anymore since our cars are newer and those LS engines just go and go with not a lot of upkeep....

I think the problem has been one of identity. This at one time was the C4Guru was it not? At least I have seen that somewhere. The perception being that this was mainly a C4 site even though the rest of the Generations here have a forum. The elephant in the room of course is the Corvette Forum and Corvette Action Center and Smokin Vette and Digital Corvettes and Sting Ray Forum......Face Book and on and on.... meaning there is a lot of competition out there and places for you to find a spot where you are comfortable and get to know the others on that site.

I see folks asking questions on the CF in the C4 that would be easily answered by the C4 brain trust here.....yet there are few who can answer over there.

So the answer is going to be hard to discern...my feeling is play to your strength which is the C4 Corvette..... it will never be a big number but will provide a needed place for information on a generation of Corvette that has a lot of peculiarities. Now the question becomes how do you get those C4 guys over to this site...... you gotta advertise.... C4 folks have to find the Guru.......

That's my 2 Cents worth....... more later as my brilliance continues to work......
Posted on: 2018/1/3 17:30

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

vetteblondie Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4630 Posts

I'll have to agree on the C4 identity thing. I no longer have a C4 either. I migrated to a C5, now a C6. However with the name being "corvetteforum" that takes you away from the C4 branding limitations - or it should. What it does do, however is attach you somewhat to the "other" forum which is also called "corvette" forum. Even though ours here is ".guru". We need the "guru" back in the main part of the name so as to not get us confused with the other bunch. If you choose to aim for the C4 group then aim it that way but do not forget to include others as well, since a good part actually no longer have them. Those who no longer do, still possess the knowledge about them though and will still continue to have very valuable input for the others who are now able to buy those. The C4 is coming back around and is an affordable great car. I have a friend who actually is a member here although he hasn't visited much - he just bought one. He's asked me dozens of questions. He loves the thing and might be on the prowl for another. He's a gearhead and has no one to speak gearhead with in the current forum we frequent. He forgot his password for here.
Posted on: 2018/1/3 18:10

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

TommyT-Bone Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

There were several factors that contributed to the demise of the original site. One was bombardment of fictitious names, site host changes, name changes and the need to provide a new password at one point. The only reason it is still here today is because of Andy's good graces (and finances). What remained were a bare bones few that kept the lights on here. If not for the daily chat element there has been little routine engagement as there was in the sites heyday. In those days technical questions were asked and threads followed by many. Today you can google just about any problem and find many answers from multiple resources at the click of a button. Youtube tutorials have been very helpful to many as well as myself. Many sites that I don't visit very often, if ever anymore still send me Happy Birthday notices and the latest and greatest Corvette gossip. Not really enough to entice me to return for a visit. The archives of the tech forums whether it be a lawnmower or home appliance are everybody's friend. Still, I only visit those sites when I need information. Aging was also mentioned and as with general Corvette ownership, age appears to be a factor. Corvette owners are pretty much older gentlemen and women. (I use those terms loosely.) I'm sure I haven't contributed much to the topic but you don't expect me to.
Posted on: 2018/1/3 18:43

TommyT-Bone Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Then ..... there is always the this ......

Attach file:

jpg  the this pic.jpg (31.28 KB)
852_5a4d248f12338.jpg 305X170 px
Posted on: 2018/1/3 18:44

GRIS Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7579 Posts

I HAVE NO ANSWERS; I'M NOT SURE I EVEN KNOW WHAT THE QUESTION IS.

I'D REALLY HATE TO SEE THIS SITE GO DOWN. THE GURU KNOWLEDGE BASE IS OUTSTANDING AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO WONDER IF THE RESPONDENT KNOWS "COME HERE" FROM "SIC 'EM". YOU ALL HAVE PUT ME ON THE RIGHT TRACK MORE THAN ONCE; I EVEN BOUGHT TWO CARS USING ANDY'S C4 BUYERS CHECKLIST. AND I DO ENJOY THE GIVE AND TAKE OF THE CHATING CLASS.

I HAVE NO BLOOD, TOIL, TEARS, OR SWEAT TO CONTRIBUTE, BUT I'D CHIP INTO THE POT IF THAT WOULD HELP ;-)
Posted on: 2018/1/4 0:47

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

KPotter Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Andy, I am in full agreement with Letty on the graphics idea. To me, the site is getting tired and really needs spruced up. A few things that bother me, the slanted "Welcome to" is a little thing but it doesn't work for me. I don't read on an angle and the angle of this actually draws your eye away from "CORVETTEGURU.COM" Next is the little pictures of all the generations, maybe replace with a larger rolling picture of each generation. More eyecatching. Lastly, don't be the do all guy, you have lots of talent available to you on here for help and guidance, don't be afraid to use it.
Posted on: 2018/1/4 15:08

Matatk Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

1) I think that reverting to the old www.corvetteguru.com is a priority.

2) Next would be updating the software to something other than xoops. Any members can feel free to offer suggestions on what they'd like to see as far as software. If you have another favorite forum and like the layout/format scroll down to the bottom and find out the name of the software.

3) Once those two things are done we need some email blasts for the current members to revive interest.

4) I like the idea of updating the Facebook page, but I don't want that to become the technical forum. If you read through the various pages you'll see one or two good answers and then 10 wrongs answers by people trying to be "helpful."

Whatever path it takes, I appreciate the time Andy takes to make it happen.
Posted on: 2018/1/7 17:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

#1 is the main key here. It is are biggest asset.

My plan is to convert over to the new software with the reactivation of the old address.

As for software... I am thinking of unassing the $$ for vBulletin. It is the best tool out there. I will list the other options tonite.

As for graphics, I am open to any ideas. I am not a graphics person, and it's obvious... sadly... But good or bad, they have aged poorly.

It is time to reboot this place. Much of the decline is my fault for being busy and not getting to work on it....

I agree with what killed it, too... the host problem is really #1.

So.... #1 is really the software. Once we decide that, we can move toward data conversion and then format and layout. I am going to reach out to GoDaddy about setting up a dummy URL to use as a sandbox to develop in. Those who are admin/mods will get access, along with anyone who is kind enough to volunteer!

I will update this with some of my research on software this evening.

Thank's gang!!!
Posted on: 2018/1/10 15:06

Matatk Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Set up a paypal Andy, and I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a few donations to help offset the cost.
Posted on: 2018/1/11 14:47

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Paypal can be done! First tho, let's look at forum software.

This is what corvetteforum.com uses...

https://www.vbulletin.com/

https://www.phpbb.com/

https://mybb.com/

Whatever we select, it must be Linux compatible.
Posted on: 2018/1/12 5:46

pianoguy Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Set up a paypal Andy, and I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a few donations to help offset the cost.

Right on!
Posted on: 2018/1/12 13:10

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I have been around... but the bug keeping me from accessing the guru from work isn't being easy to fix. damned piece of shit.

Anyone take a few to see the options available? Any other options?

I am not going to convert the database until I have a solid idea what I am converting to!
Posted on: 2018/2/21 3:05

captmike13 Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

I like how this site is laid out. http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/

I couldn't tell you who they use.

It's easy to navigate.
Posted on: 2018/2/22 4:05

captmike13@yahoo.com

teebee Re: It's a New Year... and what are we gonna do about it?
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12350 Posts

Well, the second two options appear to be "free" for the software, whereas Vbulletin has an option for a flat fee or monthly charge. I've seen Vbulletin used on several sites, not sure about the others, be interesting to know what sites use which software. I looked at a few that I frequent and most don't say.

The CNC group I belong to uses Vbulletin

The Mopar site I frequent uses
https://xenforo.com/

It is easy to get around and I like the format.
Posted on: 2018/2/22 14:20

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Thanks for the shares!!! I will do some research!
Posted on: 2018/2/26 15:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I am still here... just can't access the site from work, yet... and don't know why.

the software that sets up the security is not working and the tech support has been less than helpful. I do need to follow up....

whew...
Posted on: 2018/3/5 15:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.