Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Regular Production Order
Commonly known as RPO. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.

Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio 2018 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona Pictures and Commentary
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Posted on: 2018/2/2 2:14

Louis, 2012 Centennial Edition Coupe
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 2018 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona Pictures and Commentary
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

John - GREAT STUFF!!!!

Looks like a great time was had by all.

What did you think of the experience? Did it make you all want to do Sebring?

The downside to Sebring is hotel... you might get a room in Avon Park... so until we win the lotto and buy a place in Sebring, that's the best I can suggest...

Posted on: 2018/2/2 15:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

j3studio Re: 2018 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona Pictures and Commentary
Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

John - GREAT STUFF!!!!

Looks like a great time was had by all.

What did you think of the experience? Did it make you all want to do Sebring?

The downside to Sebring is hotel ... you might get a room in Avon Park... so until we win the lotto and buy a place in Sebring, that's the best I can suggest ...

Sebring is definitely on the list—probably a few years out (we are heavily committed for the next two). That said, one of the really nice things about Daytona was how easy it was to get back to the hotel; something we did not experience at Le Mans and would not expect at Sebring.

Posted on: 2018/2/2 16:18
Edited by j3studio on 2018/2/2 16:46:22

TommyT-Bone Re: 2018 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona Pictures and Commentary
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Wunderbar!
Posted on: 2018/2/2 16:39

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Friday: our caravan leaves the hotel early to ensure that we get to the Corvette Corral in time for parade laps—we get there so early the corral folks aren't quite ready for us ... coffee is always available at the corral ... parade laps are amazing and fairly spritely, but I'm aware that I'm on all-season tires ... getting up on the banking is cool, and the International Horseshoe is challenging … I'm very happy … back at the corral, Ivelis instantly starts winning door prizes—as usual … we walk over to the manufacturers midway and see the new ZR1 (with a wing that is about the same size as the C7.R) … Cadillac's giveaway t-shirt is good looking and feels great … we buy some decent hearing protection at the UNOH FanZone (we left ours back with the convertible at home) … back to the corral for Doug Fehan's presentation … he talks about Jan Magnussen's successful run to secure the class pole—references "age and treachery" … all six Corvette Racing drivers show up to sign autographs … Tommy Milner still looks like a model … Twitter tells me that Scott Pruett will be making an appearance at the Lexus booth at noon, so we head over … Scott is there, and I get his signature, though I'm not normally an autograph hound—this Rolex will be his last race … I've been following him since the mid-1980s (no longer recent) … lots of walking—back to the corral for snacks … we walk through the turn four tunnel to watch some of the four-hour BMW Endurance Challenge from the grandstands … "Daytona Rising" spectator upgrades are fairly incredible … weather is chilly and windy up in the stands … eventually, back to the corral and shortly after that back to the hotel

Posted on: 2018/2/2 23:36

teebee Re: 2018 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona Pictures and Commentary
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

Nice, John. Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: 2018/2/3 0:08

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

TommyT-Bone Re: 2018 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona Pictures and Commentary
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Thanks for the background story.
Posted on: 2018/2/3 1:24

pianoguy Re: 2018 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona Pictures and Commentary
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Awesome pics as always, John!
Posted on: 2018/2/3 5:31

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Saturday: not up quite as early today … over to the Corvette Corral by about 8:45 AM … the forecast calls for the possibility of heavy rain and/or thunderstorms around the end of the race … Mobil and Michelin both make interesting presentations at the corral … Michelin is bringing all-season tires to market for the C7 Grand Sport and C7 Z06 (previously only available for the Stingray) … credentials and wristbands are everything at the Rolex … we walk through the paddock as teams complete their final preparations … one of our friends surprises his wife with a birthday cake at the corral—she is appropriately stunned … the cake vanishes quickly … Corvette folks can eat … the open grid fan walk starts at 1:05 PM and draws thousands of spectators onto pit row and the beautifully manicured infield … Ivelis gets close to Jeff Gordon, Jordan Taylor, and Justin Bell as they talk near the #10 Cadillac DPi-V.R prototype … Gordon effortlessly draws a large crowd … Ivelis complements Justin on his checkered flag shoes … with about half an hour to go until the start, it starts to spit moisture … we walk up through one of the track crossover gates into the stands … the Coast Guard flyover helicopter gets quite close to the grandstands … one of the Porsche 911 GT3s hits a barrier on the warm-up lap and goes behind the wall—I cannot imagine what it is like to know your 24-hour race is already over before it has officially started

green flag! … amazingly, there are no crashes on the frenetic first lap … the Ford GTs are the class of the GTLM field—no one else is close … the #10 Cadillac keeps blowing tires … in the late afternoon, the #82 Ferrari 488 GT3 catches on fire in the pits … at around 6:00 PM we go to "Taste of the 24" charity event … we leave stuffed … it rains hard for about 10 minutes in the early evening … almost everybody dives for the pits to get rain tires—as soon as they do, it stops raining … Ivelis drives the 2012 back to the hotel at around 8:30 PM … even with all of the lights, there are parts of the road course that are fairly dark, especially around the International Horseshoe … you can distinctly hear cars banging into each other as they go around the horseshoe … I walk back to the stands and sit with a few of the folks that we met at Le Mans in 2016 … the traditional fireworks at 11:00 PM leave a fog of smoke over the track—do they warn rookie drivers? … I take a Lyft to the hotel around midnight

Posted on: 2018/2/3 19:40
Edited by j3studio on 2018/2/3 19:59:09
Edited by j3studio on 2018/2/3 20:01:31
Edited by j3studio on 2018/2/3 20:03:31
Edited by j3studio on 2018/2/3 20:11:40
Edited by j3studio on 2018/2/3 20:17:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Did Ron Fellows do his presentation?

It was his prize that resulted in my buying a C6... damnit.

Sounds like a lot of fun!!! Glad you enjoyed!
Posted on: 2018/2/4 2:41

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Did Ron Fellows do his presentation? It was his prize that resulted in my buying a C6... damnit. Sounds like a lot of fun!!! Glad you enjoyed!

Ron was on the agenda but was unexpectedly unable to attend.

Posted on: 2018/2/4 17:49
Edited by j3studio on 2018/2/4 18:11:39

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Sunday: we get up at around dawn and head back over … more coffee at the corral … back in the grandstands—section 180 provides a great view of the road course action … we take a ride on the ferris wheel … at 160 feet up, it gives us a nice view of the bus stop chicane on the backstretch … the Mercedes-AMG GT3 cars seem to have a lot of trouble turning—they fail to negotiate turn four many times … at times the flag stand seems to be waving the blue and yellow "faster car approaching" flag continuously … Ivelis says the Corvettes sound like a freight train when they go by … all the GTLM cars are loud … despite all the hype, the expected rain never comes … the Corvettes never back off, but the Fords are faster—and they don't make any mistakes … only four full-course yellows make for a blistering pace … all-time lap record gets set first (808, beating the previous high of 762 set in 1992) … next, the all-time distance record (2,876 miles, breaking the record of 2,760 set in 1982) … white flag … checkered flag! … the #5 Mustang Sampling Cadillac DPi-V.R prototype wins overall … all the class winners do short burn-outs on pit road … relative silence descends on the track for the first time in over 24 hours

Posted on: 2018/2/4 18:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

There is nothing quieter than a sports car track after 12+ hours of racing. It's like silence descends upon the track. What was loud is now just a dull buzz of activity.

I will state, in 2002, the flyover was a B-17 that was doing rides. Even during the race, you could hear the B-17 over the race!!
Posted on: 2018/2/6 5:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.