Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
168 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A-Molds
These are a more traditional 5-spoke rim (than the Saw Blades).

Used on later ZR1s, the 1996 GrandSport and Collectors Edition....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio It Was Five Years Ago Today
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

It is five years ago today that Ivelis and I began the trip that I would end up writing about in Lincoln Highway 101. In spite of our many preparations, both of us were quite aware that there were many unknowns, including whether we would even complete the trip successfully.

This situation was something that had not been true of our two previous “Big Trips” back and forth across the United States. The possibility of a catastrophic failure of some essential component of our 1985 Corvette was part of an honest and realistic assessment of our plans. A few of our friends heightened this awareness: they were quite enthused by our trip—until they figured out that we were driving it on our own.

Despite this concern, we hit the road with optimism. I’ll let the second edition of the book take it from here:

After a final check or two, we departed from our home in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. Once we had traversed a few local roads, we drove up to New York City via first the Pennsylvania Turnpike and then the New Jersey Turnpike on what turned out to be a lovely spring afternoon—definitely a good sign at the start of this long and potentially fraught trip. As I had hoped, it was generally “smooth sailing” on this particular Saturday as we drove slightly over 100 miles. Ivelis and I encountered our only significant traffic issues during the day as we traversed the many merges (including The Helix—yes, a merge with an actual name) into the Lincoln Tunnel before it deposited us right into the center of Manhattan on West 38th Street.

From there, we drove along 42nd Street through Times Square itself toward our hotel. On our way through “The Crossroads of the World,” we passed a giant billboard advertising the (at that point) almost brand new 2014 Corvette Stingray—very cool and definitely another good omen. I would eagerly search for any positive indicator I could find throughout this trip.

Posted on: 2019/5/17 14:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: It Was Five Years Ago Today
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Has it been 5 years already? I can't believe that. I remember when you took the trip. Any plans for another?
Posted on: 2019/5/17 14:46

j3studio Re: It Was Five Years Ago Today
Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Has it been 5 years already? I can't believe that. I remember when you took the trip. Any plans for another?

There is a "big trip" planned for our 25th anniversary in April 2020. We’re going to drive the Great River Road—the succession of highways that follow the Mississippi River. We’ll head north, starting south of New Orleans and ending up west of Grand Rapids, MN.

My current estimate is 13 days/4,900 miles total, though I wouldn't be surprised if we added a few more days and 500 or so more miles.

Posted on: 2019/5/17 15:32

Matatk Re: It Was Five Years Ago Today
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Sounds like a nice trip. If you swing by Chicago let me know.
Posted on: 2019/5/18 13:37

j3studio Re: It Was Five Years Ago Today
Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Over the last two weeks or so, I’ve been celebrating the five year anniversary of the trip that inspired Lincoln Highway 101. As I’m sure you may have guessed, this will be the last of those posts—against (some, many, ?) odds, we made it back home.

Ivelis and I arrived home safely but quite spent at our house in Bryn Mawr on May 31, 2014, at roughly 3:40 pm. We had traveled approximately 6,314 miles, and we had (amazingly) made it in our 29 and a half-year-old car. I felt like both we and Lauren should have received some kind of medal!

The three of us had been on the road for a total of 15 days. One day was spent “staging” to Times Square, New York City, eight traveling from Times Square to Lincoln Park, San Francisco on the Lincoln Highway, and six returning home (actually five and a half because we stopped for significant amounts of time at those two amazing museums on our second to last day out). I have to give credit to the weather in mid to late May of 2014—for the most part, it was near perfect. So many of our photos of this trip include beautiful blue skies.

For all of my worries and concerns about our ability to successfully complete this trip in this car, we ended up having only two major issues—the passenger door and the stalls. For the final eight days of our journey, I remained quite concerned that the passenger door would disintegrate even further than it had in Ely, Nevada. However, Ivelis and I were able to use both the manual door lock and the inside door handle all the way back home. Despite these problems, I’m very glad that we took this excursion in Lauren—I think that this choice of vehicle made the experience more special.

If you are interested, all the posts are here.

Posted on: 2019/5/31 23:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.