Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
191 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C4
Abbreviation for the 4th generation of Corvettes built from 1984-1996....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

lunytnz Seat Belt Locked up on 87
Guru Newb
46 Posts

Today, the seat belt locked up on my 87.
I was using the cinch button and when I unbuckled, I noticed the seat belt didn't retract all the way back, like it usually does. When I did get it to retract, I couldn't pull the seat belt back out!

I had to drive home with no seat belt.

I called the dealer because I remembered something about seat belts years ago... maybe a recall. The dealer looked up my VIN and said, "Nope", no recalls for seat belts for your vehicle.

I went to the NHTSA site and did a search for my VIN. No luck, as the GM lookup couldn't even find my car :-(
I did a more generic search for 87 Corvettes and found 3 recalls. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/1987/CHEVROLET/CORVETTE#recalls
Sure enough, there is a recall for seat belts! Interior Systems: Active Seat and Shoulder Belts
NHTSA Campaign 91V143000 It's from 1991: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/1991/RC-91V143-NN.PDF

There are 60+ pages of info (some duplicated), but on page 4, it says dealers are to service all vehicles (1984-1991 Corvettes) subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

I plan to call the dealer, again, next week and we'll see what happens!
Posted on: 2019/4/28 6:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

GRIS Re: Seat Belt Locked up on 87
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7579 Posts

LOTS OF LUCK, AMIGO---
Posted on: 2019/4/28 12:34

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Matatk Re: Seat Belt Locked up on 87
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

The problem you'll face is the recall is so old that they don't have the stock available anymore. You might end up with a red seatbelt in a blue interior (etc) if they can even find anything available.

I'd suggest that you take the cover off and look for obstructions that may have fallen in the mechanism and try cleaning it.
Posted on: 2019/4/28 16:45

lunytnz Re: Seat Belt Locked up on 87
Guru Newb
46 Posts

So, here's the latest:

I found that the exact color (graphite) was out of stock, but a medium gray seat belt kit is still available (for $129!).

I called the dealer and they couldn't find any open recalls for my VIN. They recommended I call GM (800.462.8782). GM opened a case, but apparently is using the same system, which shows no open recalls for my VIN. I explained that the recall campaign DOES include my VIN, but the rep basically said, "if it's not in the system, you're out of luck." They said that safety recalls do not expire, but that any repair would NOT be covered by GM and would be out of pocket and said I should call the dealer back. I see a vicious circle in my future :-|
Posted on: 2019/5/2 17:01

Guru Newb
46 Posts

The latest in the saga is that the dealer checked with the local/regional GM Representative. They said my VIN is not showing up in the GM Workbench system. So, they are concluding that there are no recalls for my VIN... sigh. Despite my providing them the documentation from the recall.

When any of you other C4 owners go to the NHTSA site and search for you VIN, does it say it can't be found in the GM system?
Posted on: 2019/5/10 6:40

Guru Newb
46 Posts

Update: I called GM, again, and talked to a Supervisor in Customer Service. They were pretty adamant, at first, that if it wasn't in the system, there wasn't a recall for it. I explained that the NHTSA documents say my VIN is included.

I finally asked the question differently: is there a possibility there's an error in the system?

She looked up the doc on the NHTSA site and finally agreed that there could be a system error. She said she will look into it and, personally, call me back. Fingers crossed!
Posted on: 2019/5/24 6:54

Guru Newb
46 Posts

And... the latest. I haven't heard back in almost 2 weeks, so I called and talked to the Manager in Customer Service. They explained that their systems don't go back to the 80's and suggested I call the 'Heritage Center' (586.276.0693)

That number has been eternally busy...
Posted on: 2019/6/1 5:50

Guru Newb
46 Posts

I have run into a dead-end with GM.

After talking with a VERY helpful person at the Heritage Center, I ultimately was directed back to Customer Assistance. She DID tell me, though that the GM system does not go back further than the 90's.

I was not able (after multiple tries) to talk with the Manager again.

From GM's perspective, it's simple: because the VIN is not in the system, they are "unable to verify that there is a recall that applies to this vehicle".

So, even though I provided them a link to documentation that shows the recall applies to my VIN and the recall never expires, it all comes down to whether, or not, it's in the system.

Someone in GM is responsible for the system that tracks recalls, but I have not been able to talk with them.

So, I'm on my own. I don't seem to have any recourse.

The only thing I can do is file a complaint with the NHTSA, but I think that just gets logged in their system. Sigh :-(
Posted on: 2019/6/24 6:37

bogus Re: Seat Belt Locked up on 87
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I have a set of grey belts from a 1993 or so. Need them?
Posted on: 2019/7/7 22:24

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.