Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
191 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Transverse Leaf Spring
(TLS) A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it functions similarly to two ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

hcbph Checked your radiator lately?
Senior Guru
269 Posts

I took the time today to remove the cover over the radiator and a/c condenser today, boy was there a lot of crap in there!
I was surprised that the area was probably packed 1/4+ of the way up from the bottom with leaves and other stuff that had accumulated over the years. It turned out to be a lot of fun getting it all out of there, it was packed in there solid. I had a small vacuum cleaner hose that just fit through the gap in the top and was able to eventually get it out. I had to take a L shaped rod and rake it to work all the stuff loose. Once loose, then suck it till the hose plugged up, clean out the hose and do it again till it was all out.

I was amazed at just how much junk had collected over there, then got to thinking that it's probably not been touched since it left the factory 32 years ago.

If you haven't looking at yours, may be time to do just that.

Paul.
Posted on: 2018/5/26 19:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Checked your radiator lately?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

love bottom feed cooling systems... they are part street sweeper.
Posted on: 2018/5/26 21:23

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CorvetteBob Re: Checked your radiator lately?
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

This is one of those fixes that so often go overlooked. You made a good catch with this, and it also will hopefully assist someone else in the future that has overheating issues.
Gotta love those free fixes!
Posted on: 2018/5/28 13:56

Matatk Re: Checked your radiator lately?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

That's a good reminder. Another tip to get the junk out is to use a long blow gun tip with compressed air. I've also seen someone fab up a long piece of thin PVC and attach it to a garden hose to spray it all out.
Posted on: 2018/5/28 15:47

hcbph Re: Checked your radiator lately?
Senior Guru
269 Posts

I'll pass along a couple of things I found doing this, may make it a little simpler for others.
First off you'll need a 7mm, 10mm & 13mm wrench. You don't have to drain the radiator or pull the fan the way I did it. Don't know if everyone approves of this as I did one little mod, but it worked. Remove the air cleaner assembly off the top and unsnap it from the intake. I pulled the 2 studs off the cover just so I wouldn't lose them.
Unbolt the top 2 bolts off the fan (13mm). Unbolt the cover from the radiator support (a mix of 7mm & 10mm) - 7 mm on the front and 10 on the back side. You also need to unbolt the power steering reservoir off the cover along with the a/c drier. There are retainer clips on the dryer so if you loosen it evenly the bolts will be held on the dryer DAMHIK.
Here's the mod I did so I didn't have to drain the radiator etc to gain access. Pull the wire off the low coolant sensor under the radiator car. You might be able to work it up with just this, I couldn't. There's a hole for that sensor and tranny cooler lines, I took a set to sheetmetal snips and trimmed the tab areas below then so the cover would slide off the passenger side completely. Work the cover up and around the upper radiator hose, you now have complete access through the top.
Mine had a lot of gunk and it was hardened over the years. I took a L shaped rod and went down in there to break it loose. A vacuum cleaner small hose will fit between the radiator and the a/c condenser. Just keep at it till it's all out. I also took an air hose from the back side and blew through the radiator core to insure it was as clean as I could get it.

Reassemble in reverse order and you're ready to hit the road. I probably should have taken some pictures but I didn't. Ironically I was checking engine temp - before and after cleaning out the junk. Ironically it ran around 186-189 degrees before I cleaned it, and it's run 186-190 since but a slightly hotter day - both times were highway driving.

Can't say it helped the engine temp, but it gives me a little better peace of mind now knowing it's cleaned out.

Posted on: 2018/5/29 15:53

bearcat Re: Checked your radiator lately?
Guru Newb
West Texas
19 Posts

I noticed the same thing on mine. It gets really hot where I live, and I had some concerns watching the temp climb when it was 106 outside. So I ordered a larger aluminum radiator and dove into pulling the old one.
Also, the old one was leaking at the tanks.

All of the crap in the bottom was probably one reason why the radiator wasn't performing as it should. The dripping at the plastic tanks was another. And the hot Texas weather was another reason still.

It runs a lot cooler, but if you get a thicker radiator, you have to modify the shroud. It's made for the thinner OEM style.
Posted on: 2018/9/10 3:13
'88 C4 Corvette

Matatk Re: Checked your radiator lately?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

The side tanks are a common failure point. I'm assuming you put in a three row, should do just fine.
Posted on: 2018/9/12 3:19

Pcolt94 Re: Checked your radiator lately?
Guru Newb
Orlando
31 Posts

I made a 90 deg thin air gun years ago so I can blow out the condenser and radiator. I flush every 2 years but with the heat in central Florida still can keep it cool as I like even with running the auxiliary fan with my manual aux fan switch. I thought things were worse in the last couple years as the radiator might not be working as well as it did in 05.

So this year I installed a champion 2 core aluminum radiator. It has knocked off 15-20 degrees. Runs just over 200 in traffic in 95 heat, and in the low 190s when moving. Probably in the Orlando (2 week) winter I might see the 180s with the standard 180 stat. don’t need to run the aux fan anymore.

Did not want a 3 core radiator and I have read it needs the high speed fans and did not want to go thru that level of modification. I now know 3 core would have been unnecessary for the basic LT1.
Posted on: 2019/9/19 15:38

bogus Re: Checked your radiator lately?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I did a DeWitts in my 92 some years ago... It lasts and lasts and as far as I know, is still in the car, 2+ years after I sold it. Wasn't cheap, either... and at the time, the Champion wasn't an option... then again, if I had the choice, the DeWitts is a nicer piece, but it's over $500!!!

At the time, I was going through Modine's every three years... at $200 a pop, that added up quick.

The other trick to cleaning them is to use a pressure washer at the local car wash... just hose it all away!
Posted on: 2019/9/22 22:24

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.