Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z25
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions; also known as Ruby.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars.

They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Solar calculator and tax credit info.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Posted on: 2020/4/3 4:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Solar calculator and tax credit info.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Posted on: 2020/4/3 4:57

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

The contractors offer was $1000 under the low estimate range for a regional installer. According to the calculator the 60k was a fair price for 3003+ kWh per month. His system size was on the money for a 22.50 kW system. The equipment bought from the wholesaler would cost around 40k. Then I'd have the headache of transporting, designing, permitting, installing and having everything meet code. Plus supporting the warranty Something I'm not gonna do. Especially minus the tax credit. We decided we are just going to do the combined home and home nursery. The main nursery will stay on the grid @ around $200 a month. That system they wanted $50k because there are two meters and two solar areas to be dealt with.
Posted on: 2020/4/3 5:11

j3studio Re: Solar calculator and tax credit info.
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Thank you, Tom.

Posted on: 2020/4/3 12:50

bogus Re: Solar calculator and tax credit info.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Our house came with solar electric and hot water.

They were installed by the prior owner about 20 years ago.

There are two arrays on the garage roof, with two inverters. I don't remember the output at this time. I would have to check the inverter ratings. What I do know, they were saving us about $75 a month on our electric bill.

As for the hot water, our summer gas bill would drop down to about $7.00 a month. During the winter it still saved us some $30 a month, IIRC... The solar hot water has an array on top of the house, with a 75 gallon storage tank in the basement. There is a pump with thermistors that test the temp in the tank and in the array. When the temps change, the water is swapped from the tank to the array and back again to maintain temps.

The next step is the standard gas hot water tank. The only gas used is the pilot. Once the tank gets hot, the water flow from the solar to the gas powered tank, and that water is more than hot enough - and I mean hella hot - to keep the gas heater from firing again!!

This renders the gas heater more or less a long term backup if the weather gets gnarly.

The downside, the solar hot water is DOA right now. I need to get someone in to fix it... just finding someone with reach to get to the peak of the roof - and it's really high!! Tommy - you have seen that peak! Apparently, some critters chewed through the wire to the thermistor on top of the roof... and the pump controller died or the thermistor died... not sure which.

Our electric system is aging... and at some point, I would like to upgrade it. However, that is not today. I like the discount it offers, but the technology has changed SO much in the last 20 years, that what was good then is merely tolerable today.

One thing, Tommy, make sure the installers are actually good. Our realtor had solar installed on their house a few years back. There was a nasty storm with some stiff winds... ripped the panels right off the roof, destroying the panels and the roof. Might have even shorted out the inverters... don't remember for sure. IIRC, $100k in damages!! The rain did water damage, too, I think. Either way, they screwed up big time. This was also a common problem here 4-6 years ago. So many fly-by-night operations came up and caused a ton of issues.

Knowing the cost of electricity in FL, I would not hesitate doing it. Just be damned sure the panels are hurricane proof!!!

After things settle, I am going to look into a Tesla battery wall. The solar would recharge it and it runs the entire house. It is more expensive than a generator, but we would not need a huge propane tank or have to by 500 gallons of the gas at a time, either. Less space, less complexity and a full house backup when the power goes out!

I need to do more research... the Tesla is about 2x the cost of a full house propane generator (Gencom).

One other thought... windmills...

John - The Linc - The Eagles football stadium has windmills. The stadium, IIRC, is 100% powered by those windmills. 1 or 2 windmills would generate a ton of wattage.
Posted on: 2020/4/3 16:54

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Panels are hurricane rated,. Contractor is specialized in the business. Licensed and insured. It has good thick beams to mount to and it has to pass a Miami Dade County inspection. One of the toughest codes in the nation.I'll like it more when we get to the break even point.

Andy, as I recall the peak IS way up there. Hope you and Tamiza are well. All we have to do is make it through these wacky times and get things back on a somewhat level playing field.
Posted on: 2020/4/3 22:09

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I am looking forward to normalcy... the shelter isn't the problem... the lack of a job is the problem...
Posted on: 2020/4/4 16:40

vetteblondie Re: Solar calculator and tax credit info.
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to post info.
Arkansas is so way behind on this.
I want a water heater on demand, can't even find people willing to do the gas hookups.
I also worry as in my area it gets cold in the winter. I'm told avg ground temps are around 50 no matter what so to get water the temp we need we'd have to buy a larger unit than I feel we actually would need in order to get that "rise" to offset for cold winters.
I'm very uneducated on this but the water heater and some updated window are something I want done this year.

Andy - sympathies on the job situation and prayers things work out. We are afraid here too. We are one of the few states that are not on a lockdown. I don't want to be as it won't help any
Posted on: 2020/4/4 17:42

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Letty - thanks. I really appreciate the concern and wishes. It means a lot!!!

As for the on-demand heater... I am not sure it's the right choice for areas with winter... They work here, because winter means a low of 45F... that's not cold! Just seriously chilly. They have advantages... mostly the lack of a pilot light and compact size. I am just not sure how they would work in your winter. When that water comes out the tap at less than 50F, it will take more than a quick pass over heat to make it hot.

The windows will do wonders. We got them from Home Depot a few years ago. Had the windows in the kitchen replaced, along with the window in the livingroom. They are well worth it. Killed off a number of drafts in the kitchen and livingroom, but also are easier to open!

They totaled about $5k for all of them, installed. A total of 8 windows were installed, of various sizes. We also had insulation blown into the attic. That did a lot towards keeping the heat down in the summer. I want to do attic fans to move the air out, at some point.
Posted on: 2020/4/5 6:46

GRIS Re: Solar calculator and tax credit info.
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7582 Posts

NOT SURE WHAT AN "ON DEMAND" WATER HEATER IS; IF IT'S LIKE WHAT WE HAD IN GERMANY YOU CAN RUN OUT OF HOT WATER RIGHT QUICK.

HOUSE HAD RADIATORS & FUEL OIL FIRED FURNACE IN THE BASEMENT.
NO HOT WATER TANK, JUST PIPE COILS RUNNING THRU THE FURNACE. OK AS LONG AS YOU BABIED IT ALONG JUST DON'T EXPECT A LOT OF HOT WATER :-0
Posted on: 2020/4/5 14:40

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.