Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Duesday Chat 08.04.20
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

GOOD MORNING!
Posted on: 2020/8/4 12:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Duesday Chat 08.04.20
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

My first friend's birthday is today. We met when I was 4. 61 years later we still exchange happy birthday wishes. Every time it brings back happy childhood memories.

Gray and gloomy still. The tail of Isiais carries more moisture to us. Most plant life and the lawn seem to approve.
Posted on: 2020/8/4 12:15

GRIS Re: Duesday Chat 08.04.20
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7582 Posts

A GOOD MORNING INDEED IN THE NATIONS, SUNNY, CALM, AND COOL.
65 DEGREES ON AN AUGUST MORNING AIN'T BAD A'TALL :-)

DARLING WIFE GETTING READY FOR HER ANNUAL MIGRATION TO COLORADO, THIS TIME WITH BABY DAUGHTER AND FAMILY. THERE'LL BE NOBODY AT HOME BUT US ANIMALS.

NOTHING ON THE AGENDA TODAY, ERRANDS ALL RUN YESTERDAY.

ENJOY THE DAY, Y'ALL---
Posted on: 2020/8/4 12:54

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

teebee Re: Duesday Chat 08.04.20
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

Morning guys...Cool here too, Gris. 58 now and relatively dry(low humids) and headed to the low 80s. End of the week we are to return to normal August temps, upper 90s to low 100s.

A little cabinet and sheetrock work to do today. The people we are working with on this project don't get around too early, so no real hurry to get around and out....I told them 10am.

Good to hear you have maintained your friendship that many years, Tommy. Gris, stay out of trouble while you are alone ....
Posted on: 2020/8/4 13:45

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Ultraman Re: Duesday Chat 08.04.20
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

Yeah Gris....no R rated movies..... is R still bad or is that what the kids watch these days?

Only getting up to 76 today..... good day for people but the corn would prefer it a bit warmer..... and its all about the corn...

Replacing the big garage door that has been on since we bought the place....the other new door looks so good we thought we better match them up..... plus the old door takes several button pushes to get it up and down now..... its is showing its age....unlike myself.....

ok the corn awaits..... and I must go...... lock and load Guru's
Posted on: 2020/8/4 14:13

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

CorvetteBob Re: Duesday Chat 08.04.20
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Howdy-hi everyone!
I have some friends like that also Tommy.
Not quite 61 years, but my best friend from 3rd grade and I are still in contact once in a while.
Have a great day Gurus!
Posted on: 2020/8/4 15:17

j3studio Re: Duesday Chat 08.04.20
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Good morning, all.

Longtime friends are wonderful. I've have someone who has been a friend since second grade. He lives less than half a mile away and his daughter is our goddaughter.

Isaias proceeds toward us (now about 75 miles out) and it isn't looking good. Already 160,000 homes without power in our local utility's area and it looks like some tornados have touched down. Of course, we (the western burbs) are somehow dead center in its path.

Posted on: 2020/8/4 15:35
Edited by j3studio on 2020/8/4 15:59:44
Edited by j3studio on 2020/8/4 16:15:28
Edited by j3studio on 2020/8/4 16:34:14

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

Stay safe John!
Posted on: 2020/8/4 17:43

Resized Image

j3studio Re: Duesday Chat 08.04.20
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:

Stay safe John!

Thank you, Tom.

It looks like we got through this one with only five power blinks, but there's outages all around—about 35% without power in our township. Only a little water intrusion into the basement—time for more Drylok. Should those walls should now be classified as Drylok walls, instead of concrete walls?

Posted on: 2020/8/4 20:41

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

Evening guys, need to vent a bit. My latest job is for an older lady, who basically begged me to do this job (should have been my first tipoff). When I went over to look at what she wanted, she, kind of, bad mouthed other people (tipoff #2). But I was sure I could do this job and satisfy her. Then, while I was there, she insisted on "what I thought it would cost" and I told her how she didn't really want me to have to set a price, as I didn't know what all I was going to run into, but she wanted a price...so I hit her with a "cover my a$$" price and she almost went ballistic, "I had no idea it would be that much"... I was hoping it would be less than $XXXX. Then I tried to explain to her, how there were too many variables and if she was going to make me 'bid the job' that was it. I told her I really thought I could do the job in a couple days.... so she finally agreed to let me do it and not 'bid'.

She also showed me an old, non functional, security system and wanted to know if I would take that out for her. and I said, "I know nothing about it and prefer not to mess with it." I gave her the number of the guy who owned the company who installed it (non defunct), but he still is doing security.

I told her I could start on Monday....she said "Is that the earliest you can start?" (third tipoff) Yes, I have a couple other jobs I need to finish off.

I called her Sunday to verify that I would be there 'tomorrow morning' and she started off the conversation with "Well, I've been waiting for you to call" (fourth tipoff) I told her I would be over at 9am, and her response was "No you won't, we don't get up and around that early...make it 10".... OK. I'll be bringing my GS with me aand we will be there at 10." "Well, OK". About ten minutes later she calls me back and says, "You said you were bringing your grandson, has he been running around and exposed to Covid? I heard that there was a bunch of boys partying and now one of them has tested positive" I assured her he hadn't been 'partying' with those boys. (fifth tipoff)

So we were there at 10 sharp and started the modifications to the cabinetry as discussed. And she just hovers over us the entire time, instructing me on how it should be done...and "OH, that guy came over and took out thatt security system, but now there are big holes in the wall. Will you fix that sheetrock?" I looked and told her I'd have to cut it out and replace it. And she proceeded to tell me how it should be done. (sixth tipoff). And she kept talking about how SHE wanted to do 'this and that' to save some money.

Despite all her hovering and 'help' we got the hardest part of the modification done by noon. Now it was time to start putting things back together. When we came back from lunch she, more or less stayed away. She did come in and start nit picking about the way the countertop fit against the cabinet, insinuating I did something to make it fit bad (a nice even 1/16" gap between them and I was very pleased with the fit) and are you going to fix that? The counter top was a big item of contention in my pricing...I wasn't even sure I was going to be able to save it, but I, extremely, carefully, removed it without damage. I assured her that it didn't fit any better than that originally, but that they had caulked that seam and I would do the same. then she started in on the floor "It's very expensive...I hope it cleans up alright" It's a vinyl floor, and it had dust on it from my cutting on the cabinets. so before we left I sweeped it all up and took a wet paper towel and wiped it clean, to assure it would 'clean up'.

We had to go back to the shop to modify some doors, but we got the cabinet modifications done by quitting time. I was tickled to have gotten as far as we did, considering the late start and all the 'help' I told her we'd be back at 10 in the morning.

This morning we loaded up the tools and we headed over to the storage shed to pick up my sheetrock scrap, tools and mud to do the sheetrock repair. We pulled up to the house at 10:03 and she was standing there with a disgruntled look, "you're late", "Sorry, we had to go pick up the materials to repair the sheetrock." So we wnt in and she started pointing out all these little nicks and scratches on the cabinets "I don't remember those being there" "UH, yes, those all were there, I've tried to cover most of them with the matching stain. (Actually covered up many that were there, but some just wouldn't cover)

I fixed the sheetrock and taped it and put the first coat of mud (and it looked way better than I anticipated). We got most everything done...the exception being two things I couldn't account for Backsplash and sheetrock repair (That I didn't know I was doing until I got there Monday). When we left to go back to the shop to work on the backsplash covering and eat lunch. Over the lunch time I was letting glue dry on the backsplash so I could install it. So at 1:15 we are heading back and she calls me "Well, what are you doing? Are you comong back?" Yes we are were working on the backsplash and are headed back rigght now. So we finish up fitting the backsplash and she says "I thought you were going to paint that before you put it in." OK, I thought you were going to paint it 'to save money'. " No I want you to paint it" "OK" So I remove it and tell her I have a dental appointment in the morning and won't be back until tomorrow afternoon. "So you NOT going to finish this up TODAY?" UH. "No. I have to paint the backsplash. I think it needs at least two coats and the sheetrock mud has to dry overnight and I can't finish that until tomorrow. "Well, you said it was going to take two days"

At this point I just said "I'll be back tomorrow" and left. At noon I almost told her "Here are my hours, pay me what you owe me and find someone else to finish it"...but I started the job...I'll finish it and chalk this up to experience.

Sorry for the long winded story, but just needed to blow off some steam.
Posted on: 2020/8/5 4:16

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.