Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Backspacing
A wheel dimension measured from the hub mounting surface to the inner sidewall of the tire, usually measured in Inches. It determines how much tire ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

GRIS 26.VI.21
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7584 Posts

ICKY STICKY MORNING---OFF TO TULSA
Posted on: 2021/6/26 11:49

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: 26.VI.21
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Gloomy morning here. Rain predicted for the next 12 days or so. Makes it a little tough to cut the grass and get the outdoor chores taken care of. Hopefully we get a reprieve soon.

Finally got a head unit for the Corvette. Found a lightly used unit on ebay but it's high end and the price was right. It's a few hours to get that installed so I hope I can find some free time for that.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Posted on: 2021/6/26 13:47

TommyT-Bone Re: 26.VI.21
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33742 Posts

Pulled the alternator on the 91 Corvette. Talk about a tight fit. Putting it back in is gonna be a bear. It's only one long bolt that is the issue but it butts against an air intake to the blower and the fan shroud when fully backed out. The same patience to take it out will have to be employed to put it back in. Slow and steady wins the race. Trying to get the fuel pump relay out on the 928. Snug as a bug in a rug. More patience and persistence is also needed. Gonna try to get it out with an angled pick or two. Once out just put in the new relay. Easy peasy. It's only one piece of the puzzle though. The 928 fuel pump is not charging. We shall see. Have to reseat the display on the 90 Corvette. Another beast of a task if I have to do a full removal. Should have done all this when it was cooler. The two 911's remain able and ready.
Posted on: 2021/6/26 14:46

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33742 Posts

Gris, you might enjoy this open letter from my neighbor, Mark.

Mark Parry

I don't usually share stuff like this on social media and a bit late for Memorial Day but some may find it interesting.
I'm reading a book on Midway, the biggest Naval Battle in history and considered the turning point in WWII. Both sets of grandparents played significant roles in WWII starting with Pearl Harbor and later throughout the Pacific. The most well known though is; by far, Midway.
Early in his enlisted career my mom's father was assigned to the carrier Enterprise. At 20 years old and the youngest eligible gunner, he had been identified early on as an exceptional marksman, had the top scores in all testing categories, had learned to fly the aircraft if the pilot was incapacitated, and was selected by Dusty Kleiss as his "permanent" gunner in the Dauntless dive bomber, Scouting Squadron 6
The book has quite a few stories and several photos (of my grandfather) I've never seen before. These two I thought worth sharing.
June 4th 1942 they launched in the dark. This was first attack of the battle. Dusty and Papa scored the first (and fatal) hit of the war on a Japanese carrier (the Kaga), from a 275 mph 18000 foot vertical dive. The first photo I'm sharing here is of an artist depiction "Dauntless Courage" of them pulling out after making this hit on the Kaga that began the turn of WWII. I found an unframed print of this when cleaning out their house but had no idea it was actually of he and Dusty until seeing it here in the book. I believe the print is still in my Mom's basement.
The second photo is apparently a still from military film footage shot of Dusty and Papa leaving the carrier deck for the second mission that day. They scored a fatal hit on the second carrier the Hiryu. I had no idea this photo or footage existed and was traceable! I have some understanding of the ferocity of Midway having read accounts and seen actual military footage of the battle, but to see an identified photo of Papa and Dusty seconds before launch is somehow different.
Two days later they scored a secondary bomb hit on the Mikuma. This made them the only plane on either side to hit three different ships during Midway and the only plane to ever fatally hit two carriers in a battle. They also shot down several Japanese Zeros. Dusty wrote about semi panicking thinking he was going to have to fly with a different gunner on that run because "Snowden was in the infirmary getting shrapnel pulled out of his ass...again". As they were loading up, my grandfather apparently came running onto the flight deck and climbed in half dressed and holding up what looked like blood soaked diapers.
By the end of Midway, most of the men they trained and flew with were dead, by the end of the war, very few weren't. Despite any faults modern society might find (and heads I butted with my grandfather in my teenage years) it's no wonder they are still considered the "Greatest Generation".
Not long after Midway, being now one of the most famous American pilots, Dusty returned for bond tours, marriage, and to be a Navy flight instructor. My grandfather continued with the Pacific Fleet throughout the war; as a gunner and later pilot. He and Dusty remained friends throughout their lives.
Below is an excerpt from a letter my grandfather sent Dusty while briefly back to complete his pilots training. It's dated Feb. 21 1944.
"After you left I thought I'd never fly with anyone else! But I felt immensely experienced and someone needed to train those new gunners. I was about the only one left and the Navy had sort of grown on me so that my duty is to think first of the Navy. I never quite got over breaking us up. I didn't care so much about where we went as long as we went together. I'd gone to hell and back with you in that front seat. It's quite a thing to have that much confidence in someone when you're sitting backwards diving down AA's (anti aircraft guns) at 300 mph and feel like you're never coming out and can't see what's below. Felt like I should turn around and grab those controls lots of times but got over that. They never could quite get us could they? Lots of times I wouldn't have given a plugged nickel for our chances though I've often wondered how you felt in those attacks. Probably as scared as I was."
For Dusty's part, in a letter to his future wife about their chances before the battle: "My gunner is one of the best dead shots in the Navy which is saying a lot. We have become close friends though normally officers and enlisted men don't fraternize, John and I broke that mold". When the book author asked him about the accolades received he said, "We officers and pilots always receive medals when our airplane and crew did something important. The enlisted man in the back seat was rarely mentioned. I would have been killed long ago had it not been for the skills of my RM 3/c John Snowden."
Papa had endless stories of flying the Pacific (sometimes on a loop in later years). Stories of adventures, being lost and low on fuel, mishaps, and comical misadventures of youth on shore leave and screwing around with expensive Naval toys. What he didn't share was stories of battles. He turned down all but one or two of hundreds of attempts to interview, have him on TV, at ceremonies etc over decades, I hope he would not think to harshly about me sharing part of a private letter here! I knew him as a grandfather, it's fascinating to learn about him from such a different perspective.
Posted on: 2021/6/26 14:53

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33742 Posts

928 relay update. Slowly and gently I worked the picks.Got the relay out minus 1 prong which was rusted inside the socket. I soaked it with some PB blaster and am gointg to let it sit. It's flush with the socket face so I' going to lightly drill the plastic on each side of the prong and hopefully I can get a bite with a small needle nose and pull it out. Not doing that today though. I'll let the PB sit for a day or two. If it works I'll be good. If not a used socket is available for $40 plus shipping. The story continues.
Posted on: 2021/6/26 17:07

Matatk Re: 26.VI.21
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

I read the entire story there Tommy. Very good. Very interesting.

And good luck with the repairs.
Posted on: 2021/6/26 23:11

Ultraman Re: 26.VI.21
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

Real hero's..... tough sonsabiches they were....

Took the HD Sportster in and traded it off on a brand new Electra Glide Revival.... Maybe Teeb will post it up if I send him a picture...... already had it out and about... the 114 CI engine makes 97 hp and gobs of torque....it is a reflection of a 1969 FLH Dresser.... in Hi-Fi Blue and Birch White.... I found out quick I gotta have something with a fairing.... and cruise control and ABS brakes and.............

we are having fun now Guru's...... yehaaaa.....
Posted on: 2021/6/27 0:29

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

GRIS Re: 26.VI.21
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7584 Posts

TOMMY THAT IS ONE HELL OF A STORY!

LITTLE SHOW, GOOD CROWD FOR A CHANGE. DID NOT SEE A LOT OF MONEY CHANGING HANDS. SAW NOTHING I WANTED BUT A REMINGTON .22 THAT SOLD BEFORE I COULD MAKE HIM A LOW-BALL OFFER :-0

STILL HOPING SOMEBODY BRINGS IN SOMETHING INTERESTING TOMORROW. ALL THIS CLOSET-COMMANDO STUFF EVERYBODY HAS DOESN'T AMOUNT TO MUCH WHEN YOU HAVE HAD THE REAL THING.

DID SELL A BOOK FOR $10; NOT A VERY GOOD ONE EITHER.
Posted on: 2021/6/27 1:23

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.