Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vertte
Shorthand notation for Corvette Convertible. See also vert and vette...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Eagle223usa Any recommendations on spark plugs?
Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Well, I got my new tires on, now my car has a hard miss. I was thinking about changing the plugs, they don't have too many miles on them. They are AC Delcos. I just wondering if anyone has any feedback on their favorite plugs. The car has been barely used in the last 2 or 3 years. I think that might be the problem. I was wondering if I should just try driving it, see if she works herself out! Thanks.
Posted on: 2022/8/10 12:24

Matatk Re: Any recommendations on spark plugs?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Nothing wrong with AC Delco plugs. But plugs don't generally just go bad. If it's been sitting 2-3 years I'd lean more towards bad gas in the tank.
Posted on: 2022/8/10 16:06

Eagle223usa Re: Any recommendations on spark plugs?
Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

I filled the tank with E90 and drove it for a few miles, no change. It seems to miss once it's warmed up, could be an 02 sensor? It isn't throwing any codes.
Posted on: 2022/8/11 13:05

bogus Re: Any recommendations on spark plugs?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

don't use E90 on an older car. The ethanol will eat the rubber bits and the ECU isn't coded to handle the fuel requirements.

If you are concerned about plugs, I use nothing but NGK.

Posted on: 2022/8/12 22:59

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

How much was in the tank to begin with? Have to run that bad gas out first. You can dilute it with new gas once most of it is gone.

It's hard to guess with limited information about the car. If you have the appropriate scanner you can watch your O2 values and see if they are changing.

You said no codes, do you mean the light isn't on or you scanned / checked for codes? You can do it with a paperclip.
Posted on: 2022/8/13 14:35

Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Bogus, E90 is enthanol free "off road" gas. If you want your chainsaw to start at 10 below, you use E90. It's the only fuel I run in the IROC.
Posted on: 2022/8/13 15:24

Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Matak it had about 1/2 a tank of stabilized premium.
Posted on: 2022/8/13 15:50

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

We don't have the E90 here but if it's Ethanol free you should most likely be ok. But 2-3 years the gasoline can still deteriorate / break down.

Do you have data logging / live scanning capabilities?
Posted on: 2022/8/13 18:38

Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Oh well, ya'll ain't gonna believe this... I already did the plugs, about 7 years ago. I put in NGK Iridiums. I started pulling them out, I started with cylinder #4 on the passenger side, easiest to get to. It didn't seem very tight, wire brushed it and put it back. Cylinder #2 was less than finger tight! All kinds of evidence of blow by. All the plugs took about 1/2 a turn. After they were tightened I fired her up. She runs fine! Thanks be to God for answered prayers! I was letting my mind wander into expensive territory. All it needed was tightened up
I've been running this car for years after putting new plugs in and they just loosened up. Must be an aluminum head thing. Thanks guys.
Posted on: 2022/8/14 23:24

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Free fixes are the best!
Posted on: 2022/8/15 14:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

that's great news!!!!

Why do they call it E90 when it is ethanol free? E90 sounds like 90% ethanol! I know that E85 is 85% ethanol...

Just trying to get some clarity!

I agree, if you can find ethanol free gas, that's the shit.

Also, I read recently where Formula 1 is aiming at a 100% carbon neutral fuel within the next 3 years. Get this, this stuff will be 100% compatible with all cars, not just modern ones built for it.

I then watched the last episode of Top Gear (UK version) and learned that Paddy Lowe, an F1 engineer and overall genius has proven you can make a liquid fuel that is carbon neutral. It uses CO2, harvested from the atmosphere, mixed with hydrogen to create a liquid fuel that is 100% synthetic. Because it is recycling CO2, it is effectively reburning existing CO2, not adding anymore.

In my thinking, that would also reduce, effectively, the CO2 in the atmosphere. Think about it, to produce enough liquid fuel in advance, there would always be a drop in atmospheric CO2 to prime this new liquid fuel.

Bastet44 (my wife) figures this would kill off the electric car in minutes. The internal combustion engine would live on and be improved.

We would not have to depend on foreign oil or Russian lithium. And all the mess of dealing with mining crap for batteries or a clean method of recycling would be mitigated. We could then focus clean energies on fixing our grid and not on powering our cars.

At this time, the fuel costs about 10 UK Pounds per litre, and that proves it is not impossible. If this works out, it would be an epic game changer.

I also see this being the basis for a JP8 type of fuel, too. Figure that kerosene, diesel, JP8 and #2 home heating oil are super close on the cracker scale. The US Military lives on JP8 - trucks, tanks, planes, ships all run on it. It seems to me that starting with a gas fuel, mixing in some vegetable oil and a little more science and we have a JP8 replacement.

Keeping my eyes on this project. F1 has provided so many tech advances... ABS braking systems, modern EFI engine control systems, active suspension, turbo engine tech, performance tires... did you know that the Goodyear Eagle Gatorbacks, introduced on the 1984 Corvette, were the son of the Goodyear Eagle F1 wet weather tire? If this works, F1 will save the automobile. Just in time when our existing oil based refinery systems are in dire need of upgrade. Consider this tech would not be married to coastal regions, at least in theory, it would open up all sorts of remote areas to new refinery locations... more remote, with wind and solar power? All we would need are some water pipelines... damn...
Posted on: 2022/8/16 19:17

TommyT-Bone Re: Any recommendations on spark plugs?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Cheap fixes are good fixes and $0 is even better.
Posted on: 2022/8/16 22:50

Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Yes, but I already bought the plugs! Bogus, that is great news! I hope that genius has good security... History has proven that changes can be dangerous. Matak, I have an Atari 2600...
Posted on: 2022/8/17 13:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

Eagle223usa wrote:
Yes, but I already bought the plugs! Bogus, that is great news! I hope that genius has good security... History has proven that changes can be dangerous. Matak, I have an Atari 2600...

The tech is now beyond Paddy Lowe! F1 is partnering with an energy company in Europe... they are expecting to use the fuel in 2026, IIRC. At this point, Europe wants to get off the Russian oil teat, to say the least.

Middle Eastern oil is a hot bed... and if this tech works, that will leave all that sweet crude in the Gwar reserve, just that... reserved... reserved for other petrochemical uses... and since gas is like #1, that oil would last hundreds of years.

Gas, then JP8... and we already have alternative resources for motor oil. If nothing else, leave sweet crude for motor oils and lubricants, still have hundreds of years of it. Add in recycling and that becomes thousands of years.
Posted on: 2022/8/17 18:04

TommyT-Bone Re: Any recommendations on spark plugs?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

What is Recreational Fuel?
Some gas stations market ethanol-free 90-octane gasoline as “recreational fuel” or REC-90. Many consumers prefer to use non-ethanol fuel for marine equipment and small engines for lawnmowers, snowblowers, chainsaws, generators, pumps, and the like.
Posted on: 2022/8/17 19:41

Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

What is Recreational Fuel?
Some gas stations market ethanol-free 90-octane gasoline as “recreational fuel” or REC-90. Many consumers prefer to use non-ethanol fuel for marine equipment and small engines for lawnmowers, snowblowers, chainsaws, generators, pumps, and the like.

Exactly, It's usually $1 more per gallon, but worth it.
Posted on: 2022/8/18 13:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

yea, ethanol does a number on marine engines.

pretty much any engine that isn't driven on a regular basis.
Posted on: 2022/8/18 21:19

Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Well, I pulled the codes and I think I found my miss. I pulled codes H33 and H34, IIRC. Map high and Map low. I ordered a new one from Rock auto, along with the connector, which disintegrated when I tried to disconnect it. The check engine light was not illuminated. A bad Map can cause a misfire due to improper fuel being delivered. I hope this cures the problem.
Posted on: 2022/8/26 12:04

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Hope that's it!
Posted on: 2022/8/26 14:58

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Toss in the suspect connector and all sorts of failures are potentially present.

Great fix!!

The MAP is very important to helping the engine get the right fuel flow. Without it, all hell breaks loose!

Posted on: 2022/8/26 19:11

Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Well here's hoping anyhow! Thanks.
Posted on: 2022/8/26 22:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.