Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
177 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sting Ray
1963 through 1967 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Stingray, 1969-1976....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird rear shocks 84 z51
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

hey i woulda used chat but it seems ta have jus disapered!
any special thing i should know befoe i flip on sum rear shocks,,,basic ain it er am i dreamun?
Posted on: 2009/5/5 15:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

captmike13 Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Chat didn't disappear it is in the catch all section. See the announcements thread.

I have no idea what would be good replacements for your shocks. That being said when it comes time to replace mine I'll probably go with what came with the car.
Posted on: 2009/5/5 19:19

captmike13@yahoo.com

bogus Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

GM stock stocks for the 84, if you want to maintain originality.

Also, you can use KYB if you are on a budget.

I recommend replacing all 4 at the same time.

Do NOT use Monroe or Gabriel. They suck wind.

Koni, Bilstein, KYB are just a few that work well on the C4.

QA1 if you want to go nuts and install coilovers... Penske or Ohren if you are simply made of money.
Posted on: 2009/5/5 19:57

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

pappyfreebird wrote:
hey i woulda used chat but it seems ta have jus disapered!

You see, I joined chat so we could all chat about Corvettes in general together.

This is actually a tech question. Hopefully by focusing chat, we get tech questions where they belong.
Posted on: 2009/5/5 19:58

pappyfreebird Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

well i rekon it is techie,,,but babble to much sosin i aways go ta chat..but i prolly jus buy sum elcheapos um like gabrial er monroe gasers..(duckin n runnin fer door) come on i r n ol hag that jus likes drivin it..i ain inta blowin away mustangs,,L i ony go fast ifn i hafta pee..wahahahaha.. i r sarry bog see i kin fug up a good tech ? in a heartbeat..but nuttin special needed right...pull wheels n slap em in there heyhuh...oh n make sure the cheap fuggars r shimmed ifn need be...bushings now daze kin make a clunk fer ya
Posted on: 2009/5/6 0:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

for the same money as junk Gabriels or Monroes, you can get KYB.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 0:45

Matatk Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
for the same money as junk Gabriels or Monroes, you can get KYB.

I have KYBs and I'm happy with them. I replaced some crap monroes the PO had put on the rear and the stock 20 year old bilsteins on the front. What a difference. I'd recommend them if on a budget.

As far as changing them it's a piece of cake. Unbolt the old ones, bolt in the new ones. Don't even need to remove the rear wheels, but I did use a jack under the knuckle to help align the bolt holes better.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/6 1:57

RedGut86 Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Guru Newb
36 Posts

I have the VBP Xtremes (Morocco valving actually) and they are good. I got them from VBP for cheap and they perform great, though I'd do the set of 4 all at once.

They also sell the z51 valving there too, so you can have direct replacements.

http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=783

$70/shock for z51 replacements

http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=811

$50/shock for KYBs
Posted on: 2009/5/6 3:14

85L98-84L83 Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Guru Newb
113 Posts

What about the edelbrock ias shocks? I have them on my 84 vette and they seem good, I don't auto cross it, obiviously because its an 84 ceasefire with an automatic.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 4:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

The IAS is a rather expensive piece... I have heard mixed reviews. They are really good, but, don't age well.

I do not have personal experience with them. I have KONI yellows on my 92.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 4:42

Matatk Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

RedGut86 wrote:

http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=811

$50/shock for KYBs

Or you could a set of 4 on ebay from the partsladi for $130 shipped like I did:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-4- ... uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/6 11:36

jhammons01 Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

KYBs are all over the place for roughly $130 for all four.

I've been happy with mine since I put them on.....and the install is as easy as already stated.....take the old ones off...put the new ones on....
Posted on: 2009/5/6 13:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I think I have a tech tip on doing front shocks... I will have to double check.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 14:41

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

yea bog in tech library is a front shock article...
my fronts must have been replaced..but rear is ruff n i noticed when did wheels that they r full of oil,, meanin shot..ok rendnecks change me name ta ol chincer,,cause i ordered the elcheapo monroes (runnin fer back door again) hey they hafta be better then the leakie chot prolly stock ones...ill let ya know ifn its any bettar in ride department..mebee git em n on fri. er wkend
Posted on: 2009/5/6 14:46

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

ok jack up set jack stand...slide undar n loosin lower stud bolt then become a fuggan contorsion artist (ony cause to lazy ta pull wheels)n reach up n swear a bit cause 1/2" rachet is lil large up there...then wip in that shock all of 15 minutes includin jack time...then feelin fine n off ta the right side,,fug ran outta luck mo like 40 minutes there..brake like was lil farther down by frame n wanted ta block my socket n then shock spacer to fat ,,so hadda take down a bit..all in all n hour..took fer ride n thought wud the fug,,she seemed boingee,,,then realized mebee actually a smooth boing..now refresh me rednecks,,a hydro shock(prolly orinanl eq.) but hydro goes in easy but pulls out hard,,,now these did that..but in way shocks r posed ta werk id say the elcheapo monroes r way better in ride ,,,in fact i shoulda listned ta yall when said do em all..cheap fuggars learn slow,,but the fronts r now on order too..so now i is the smoothie bruthas
Posted on: 2009/5/9 15:58

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Pappy - you get what you pay for. Monroes are JUNK.

If you are going cheap, at least get something good... the KYB is cheap and good.

I never EVER replace shocks in pairs... never. never. never. never. It's just bad juju. There are some things that need to be done in sets and shocks are one of them. They wear at the same rate. It's not like brakes that wear differently.

You will never get a good ride out of the Z51... don't compare ride with shock quality.

At the same time, without a shock dyno, the bumper compression test proves nothing. The only way to test a shock is either through visual - as you said, oil everywhere (be sure it's shock oil, not brake fluid!) - or through time. Most shocks start to wear within 30k miles and are toast by 65k miles. Seriously.

But the best way is via a shock dyno. It measures various reactions to compression and rebound. These tools are used extensively in racing, so as to better predict how the car will respond on track.

It's much more than just shock absorption. It's about car control and chassis control. It's about maximizing speed in corners and keeping the car on an even keel through that corner.

This is also why shocks like Penske or Ohrens and such are so damned expensive. They can tune the shock to any track condition and responsiveness required by either the track or the driver.
Posted on: 2009/5/10 19:48

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thanks bog brutha,,,i hear ya on wore at 60k these look stock er r wore fer sure,,,now nuthar 20 minutes n front set of elcheapos r mounted...she do ride lots better too...fer how long ,,well thats where wish id spent lil mo cash...but the elcheapos do ride better then shot hyrdos...mebee seems soft thou..a few twistees she seemed fine n on the ruffest road we got she seemed smoother fer sure ,,but mebee spongee..nawt sitff jabs like was,,hope thats fer the bettar...now yall kin take bets n me whinnin n poppin the 130 fer kybs soon prolly heyhuh...actually ony saved lil ova 50 when think on it..

pss well i hafta add.(mebee my shocks were real bad) cause i be happy wid the ride n handlein so far of the elcheapo monroes,,,so ifn any doubt she rides hard,,have a look see at them shocks,,,grab couple 18 metrics fer rear n my case was 15 metric top nut n 1/2" sae bottum two on front..130 bucks er less fer elcheapos n couple hrs n yer ready fer a better ride...thanks rednecks
Posted on: 2009/5/10 22:08

Midnight85 Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Pappy, I wish I had caught this thread earlier. I just pulled 4 almost new Monroes off my car because they are as Bogus says, pure junk. You could have had them free. I replaced them with Tokico's and am extremely happy with them. My car had the original Bilsteins on it when I got it and they were worn out, I put the Monroes on and put maybe 2-3 thousand miles on them and never was happy. I settled on new Tokico's after a lot of deliberation and the car now handles like it was meant to. They are a bit firm but an '85 Z-51 is not a luxury car anyway.
Posted on: 2009/5/11 12:26

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

dayum...yeup wish ya would have too...the monreos ya tooks off were they the dual stage types (sensa trac is werd im lookin fer) er jus the single elcheapos 16 bucks a peice...ifn there the better ones id still take em off yer hands n return mine..oops burnt the boxes last night..what do you mean nawt happy..were she too soft? these really softend the ride fer me..mine hadda have the stockers too..were black hydrolic n were junque..pushed in with no resistence n pulled out fairly easy too(shot in my book)i ain a performance head ,,,but she does ride better then the other ones fer sure
Posted on: 2009/5/11 12:48

Midnight85 Re: rear shocks 84 z51
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Mine were the black ones also and they've been on the junkman's pile now since last fall. I can understand you wanting to soften up your '84 they were rough riders. Personally I like the firmness of my '85, I drive by the seat of my pants and like the feel the Tokico's have given the car.
Posted on: 2009/5/12 2:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.