Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
178 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH700R4 / 4L60
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

SpectatorRacing Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

There's too much to tell and nobody really reads this stuff, anyway, but here are a few highlights from last week...

It was one of those weeks where things blew up at my real job, so I worked crazy days, then hit the shop until 1 to 2:00 am to work on the vette. The first deadline was Memorial day, but due to the piston skirts crashing into the crank we sorta missed that one. So the new deadline was last Thursday so I could get to the track for a race Friday / Saturday.

Monday night - finish reassembly and put the transmission back on the motor. Install the motor back into the car. Finished this all up around midnight, but didn't want to start it yet because it has to run for 30 minutes on that first start and we were too damn tired. Besides, it seemed like a no-brainer that the car would fire up on Tuesday...

Tuesday night - button up the last few things and fill her up with break in oil. Flip the ignition switch, and...nothing. Fiddle-fuck around for an hour trying to charge the battery, determine it's a bad ground, and get it all sorted out.

Back to flipping that ignition switch...BAM! Fuel pump energizes, engine light comes on, and we're living large again. I very tentavely move my finger toward that start button...the moment of truth. You all know how this ends. Push the button - cranks, no fire...Sigh...

Go over everything again. Replace Delteq parts with stock coil and ignition module in case it's the new Delteq. Still nothing, signs point to the Optispark. You all know how I love the optispark. Guess what? Mr. Brilliant (that's me) anticipated this and brought another optispark! Problem sovled! Installed it and tried again. Nothing.

Spent three hours pouring over wiring diagrams and testing the vehicle over and over only to find that all signs point to both optisparks being bad. Soooo unlikely, but it was 1:00 am so I went home, once again a broken man.

Wednesday - brought a box with at least six optisparks in it. This is no joke, I have at least 10 of these things in various states of repair. I figured that there's no way all of them can be bad. I grab the first one, which was on the car the last time it ran, and plug it in. I spin the opti drive pin, and it works just fine, all the injectors fire and the coil sparks like a mofo. Can you believe this? BOTH of the optisparks I brought, one of which was the MSD, were bad. I guess those of you who have read about my 5 years of optispark problems are not surprised - this is my nemesis.

So I pull the MSD opti off the car, put this one on. It takes me about 1 hour to do a full optispark swap, by the way. I've done it THAT many times.

Back to our status on Tuesday afternoon. Hit the start button....THE CAR STARTS! Sounded good, too.

We run it for 25 minutes or so. Temps are good. Oil temp is a bit high, but I'm not going through any of the oil coolers so that's fine. I stick my head in to check the guages and smell oil very strongly. Look down and see that the floorpan is filled with 1/4 inch of oil, even more on the passenger side. I guess one really should tighten up the fitting on the oil pressure guage before starting a motor...oops.

So we spend the next few hours cleaning up the oil, installing new harnesses (mine expired), changing fluids, checking for leaks, putting the oil coolers back into the system, etc. Ran it down the street with great results.

Had the car on the trailer by 1:00 am, ready to head directly to the track. But that's a story for tomorrow.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 21:04

CSS996 Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I read it all. I need a nap.

Glad you got it sorted. Two bad optis... Insane.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 21:08

1Fast04Vert Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Good story, can't wait for the sequel to come out.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 21:12

Matatk Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Hey, some people do read this stuff! Glad you got it all worked out! Sucks about the opti, though. Can you get a refund from MSD or what?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/10 1:29

pianoguy Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Damn! In order to swap it out in an hour, do you have everything Velcro'ed on there? ;-)
Posted on: 2009/6/10 1:41

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

dan0617 Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I enjoy reading this stuff.....makes me realize that it's not just me that has this sort of luck.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 12:47

SpectatorRacing Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Damn! In order to swap it out in an hour, do you have everything Velcro'ed on there? ;-)

My only cheat is the ATI balancer pulley. It extends the pulley itself out far enough that you can remove the opti without taking it off.

I know every bolt size, every torque spec, exactly what tools I'll need, have several sets of the water pump gasket, etc. etc. Oh, and lots of experience. I should work at a Chevy dealer and do exclusively opti replacements. There are probably enough of them to make a good living...

I will tell the story of the race later today. It's full of joy and heartbreak. Grab a box of tissues, you'll need it for the read.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 12:48

BrianCunningham Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Glad you got it back up and running again

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

My only cheat is the ATI balancer pulley. It extends the pulley itself out far enough that you can remove the opti without taking it off.

That's a neat trick!
Posted on: 2009/6/10 13:00

BillH Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Change the title to "The Commitment it Takes to be a Racer"

Some of those 2 a.m. nites are followed by leaving for the track at 4 a.m.

My tissues are ready.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 13:06

biggrizzly Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Bill - Great story... At least for us to read.

I wish I could change out my Opti that fast. I'm also glad my MSD unit worked first time around for me.

Good Luck and keep scratching out these stories. We like to read them.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 13:15

skirlin Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

Thanks for the write up. It is stories like this that help me keep my cool when working on my cars knowing that it happens to even experienced mechanics.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 16:03

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

A few days late, but here's the rest of the story...

Soooo....where'd we leave off? Friday morning, 1:00 am. The car's on the trailer. I quickly down a celebratory brownpop and head on down the road. I had planned to go to the track (about 2 hours away) Thursday night, but that just wasn't going to happen. By the time I got there the bonfire would be out and all the beer gone, so I opted for my own bed and a few quality hours of sleep. I hadn't loaded up the trailer, anyway, so I had to go home to get my gear, some tires, a cooler, and perhaps a pillow. By 2:00 I was loaded up, by 2:01 I was asleep. Up again at 5:30, make some coffee, and get on the road.

I got to the track around 8:00. I'd like to thank all of my "friends" who were already there (this means you, Carlyle!) for saving me a spot to park....over 100 yards away. Man, I gotta get new friends. Went through all the paperwork of registering, changing class, tech, blah blah blah. Took 2 hours because I kept forgetting things at tech inspection and had to walk back to the truck three times. Did I mention my sweet parking spot?

I planned to run Time Trials on Friday to shake the car down, then race on Saturday. I missed the first session, but had 4 left so I wasn't too broken up about it. By the time I got there the bar was already set, Matt (mrc24x) had run a smokin' lap in his C4 that rivalled some of my best from previous years. I hadn't come to win anything, but pride is a dangerous thing - this was kind of my home track, after all.

I finally got the car out on the road for the first time, didn't even bother to take off the rain tires. Things were ok, I was puttering around about 15 seconds off the pace, but it ran, temps looked ok, life was good. I had an oil leak, but it's an LT1, I would have worried if it didn't. Went out for the second session, and on the warm up lap things went wrong very quickly. The tach spiked and the car was surging, my heart broke. If this was another optispark failure I was going to torch this thing. I pulled into the pits, climbed out of the car, closed up the trailer, and took a nap inside. I didn't even bring many tools with me that weekend, I was not interested in working on the car anymore.

I finally went out to take a closer look. I pulled codes, and had a 16, a 53, and a 66. 16 is the opti, of course. 53 I didn't know, and 66 is something to do with the A/C, which the car hasn't had in 5 years. I didn't have my FSM so I "phoned a friend" to look it up. 53 is a voltage out of range, and means ignore any other codes as they could be set erroneously. I also rememberd Matt commenting that the tach sticking often means alternator. I wasn't 100% certain which wire to put where when I reinstalled it, so maybe I hooked it up incorrectly. There was hope again.

I went to check the wiring, and the alternator post came right out of the body. That could be it! Tried to tighten it back down, but the nut inside had fallen off completely, I had to pull it apart. Inside, it was a mess. The nut had fallen off, flipped around in there and destroyed half of the windings. The post was just bouncing around, so it was arcing like crazy while I was driving around. Looks like we found the problem! The closest C4 alternator was 35 miles away, so we hopped in the car and headed to your friendly NAPA. Two hours later, car fired up and ran like a champ. No codes, no misfires, no stutter. Hopefully that was all she wrote.

Saturday rolled around to find our hero with a damn hangover. I can't believe the crew held me down all night and forced all of those beers down my throat. However, luckily Spectator-Racing's M-O is that you can't win a title without throwing up in your mouth a little during the race. Took the car out for the first session (stayed in TT again) and things seemed fine. I'll even go so far as to say "delightful". Session 2, stepped it up a little bit. Got the second fastest time on the grid. At this point, Matt faked a clutch problem in his own car because he saw me coming...

By the third session I had the pole. Of course, the small oil leak had turned into a geiser, and on every right hand corner the entire cockpit filled with smoke as the oil fell on the header. I was worried that I was going to be black flagged, or worse, catch on fire (again). Still went out and set FTD - luckily Matt wasn't running because it was still 0.4 seconds off the pace he had set on Friday. Attrition is a bitch, I know, usually I'm the guy who's car broke. Went out one more time and lowered the time a bit more. The closest competition was almost a second away at this point, the car was again running like a raped ape. I was beat, the oil leak was getting troublesome, and it looked like rain, so I called it a win. I loaded up the car and sat my tired ass down to watch the rest of the races.

I wish the story ended there, but unfortuanately, second place borrowed a set of brand new tires and went out for the last session of the day. He clicked off one magical lap and beat me by 1/10th of a second. If I had gone out I'm sure I would have done whatever it took to keep the win, but c'est la vie. A slight bummer to an otherwise perfect day.
Posted on: 2009/6/15 20:13

BeachBum Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Master Guru
751 Posts

Cool Story !!

I've never owned an LT-1 so I do not know muh about the Opti-spark problem, but I can say without a doubt, in all of my years on corvette forums, the Opti-spark has to be the most frequently created subject.... thus I can only conclude, it must be one hell of a pain in the butt.
Posted on: 2009/6/15 20:44

Matatk Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
However, luckily Spectator-Racing's M-O is that you can't win a title without throwing up in your mouth a little during the race.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnddddd Matthew has a new signature quote.

Cool story.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/15 23:01

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Hell, didn't need any tissues for that.
Sounds like a normal race weekend to me. The weekends where you're not running your ass off, forgetting to eat lunch, are few.

I used to save pit spots for friends but quit it a long time ago cause of the 100 yard thing.
Posted on: 2009/6/15 23:20

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I think I found the oil leak, too. I'm not going to know what to do with myself if I did. Not having a 10 page list of things wrong with the C4 is a new thing for me...maybe I'll mow the 12" high grass in the front lawn so my neighbors stop picketing.

Oh, and a little tip - a $3.00 black light bulb stuck in a lamp from your living room is not an adequate way to find the flourescent oil dye under the motor...

It did stain my hands a nice yellow color, though.
Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:32

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnddddd Matthew has a new signature quote.

I'm honored...

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Hell, didn't need any tissues for that.
Sounds like a normal race weekend to me. The weekends where you're not running your ass off, forgetting to eat lunch, are few.

I used to save pit spots for friends but quit it a long time ago cause of the 100 yard thing.

I NEVER forget to eat lunch. I'm still a growing boy!

I have a bunch of cones for saving spots. Sometimes you have to pack the trailers in there so tight you can't get the side doors open, though. And when you're that close you can hear the guy in the next trailer snoring all night...
Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:33

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Cool Story !!

I've never owned an LT-1 so I do not know muh about the Opti-spark problem, but I can say without a doubt, in all of my years on corvette forums, the Opti-spark has to be the most frequently created subject.... thus I can only conclude, it must be one hell of a pain in the butt.

Maybe because I have the later unit, but except for a cap & rotor & 110k it's been running like a champ.

I did get an MSD version for the new engine.
Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:44

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Maybe because I have the later unit, but except for a cap & rotor & 110k it's been running like a champ.

I did get an MSD version for the new engine.

Wait until you get your supercharger on there, add more power (and thus heat), and start revving higher. Then come talk to me

An MSD won't save you...
Posted on: 2009/6/16 14:21

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

But heat dries it out ;)

Actually I'll be keeping my revs near stock level.

One of the reasons I'm running a blower is to keep the revs down.
Posted on: 2009/6/16 14:37

Aboatguy Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

How high are you reving, stock opti has been hold 6800+ on my 95.

But I don't hit the track, I don't want helmet hair.....
Posted on: 2009/6/16 18:21

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
How high are you reving, stock opti has been hold 6800+ on my 95.

That's about where I am, but revs alone aren't the culprit. You can make a stock optispark work in harsher conditions if you take the necessary steps to improve it. Most notably, remove the screws that hold the rotor on and put some hi-temp red loctite on them. Don't overtighten!!!

Ideally, you'll also remove the two heatstaked nubs that hold the metal part of the rotor to the plastic body and replace them with nylon screws. Your opti will last forever.

The MSD optispark claims 10,000RPM with no problem. Sure, the bearing will handle that rotational velocity, but that's never what fails. I had two MSD rotors fail just like a stock part. They beefed up all the wrong places...

My most recent rash of failures were most likely due to an engine vibration though, so you can't fault the opti exclusively.

Quote:

But I don't hit the track, I don't want helmet hair.....

Amen, brother. I was voted "best hair" by NASA during the 2007 season. You don't get this look by accident...
Posted on: 2009/6/16 18:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
I have a bunch of cones for saving spots. Sometimes you have to pack the trailers in there so tight you can't get the side doors open, though. And when you're that close you can hear the guy in the next trailer snoring all night...

I used to carry the cones too, saved a couple of guys spots. I had another competitor drive over them, pull into the spot, wated to fight about it. The next race I was late, these guys didn't even bother to save me a spot. I don't even carry the cones anymore.

Doesn't matter, I now get to the track before everyone else to get the spaces I like, especially ThunderHill because there are only about 50 free electricity spots.
Posted on: 2009/6/16 21:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

[quote]
SpectatorRacing wrote:
My most recent rash of failures were most likely due to an engine vibration though, so you can't fault the opti exclusively.
[quote]

My buddies who run a raceshop and always replace the optis with a distributor think there's harmonics involved due to the drives. Increased resonance in the opti at race rpm. They tried for awhile and switched.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0396.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/6/16 21:37

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Amen, brother. I was voted "best hair" by NASA during the 2007 season. You don't get this look by accident...

Thought it was from pullin' your hair out.

Hell, a day without helmit hair just sucks.
Posted on: 2009/6/16 21:39

Josh Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Have you considered plunging a hole into the back of the intake and running a conventional small cap distributor?

I have a spacer/shim for this application sitting on my desk, I use it as a paper weight. If you want, I'll ship it to you. Just pay for shipping, and send me a rock or some other equally useful paper retention tool.
Posted on: 2009/6/16 22:39

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:
Have you considered plunging a hole into the back of the intake and running a conventional small cap distributor?

I have a spacer/shim for this application sitting on my desk, I use it as a paper weight. If you want, I'll ship it to you. Just pay for shipping, and send me a rock or some other equally useful paper retention tool.

I've considered this many times. In fact, last year when I had a different issue that I couldn't figure out (turned out to be a new coil - bad out of the box) I pieced together a price list to do all of this. Drilling the intake and getting a new computer aren't pricey, but the new harness I'd want was going to be $400.

Every time I get to that point, however, I think I've got the optispark problems fixed. Like many problems, if I had just done this years ago I would have saved headaches, time, and of course money. Probably worth doing if I ever have another failure, I'll PM you my address.

I have lots of parts lying around that aren't necessarily useless, anything you can think of that you need? I might have one and can send it when I go to FedEx to send Bill the VATS elimination box...
Posted on: 2009/6/17 2:11

Josh Re: Hey guess what? My car runs again!
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Shit man, I need lots of stuff. I'm in the middle of a head swap right now so anything associated with that. I have the head gaskets, but that's it. I'd need intake gaskets, some Right Stuff RTV, I'd like to get a new set of ARP head bolts, coolant, etc... All the little BS associated with the head swap.

I'm also gearing up to do a separate fuel system for my nitrous set up. I could use a small fuel cell (1 gallon), E85 compatible fuel pump, E85 compatible fuel lines, fittings, etc...

Most of what I'm looking for is worth quite a bit more than the spacer I'm offering, so if you have anything that might fit the bill let me know and we'll work something out.
Posted on: 2009/6/17 12:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.