Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
211 user(s) are online (192 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 3 »
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham Chevy truck month
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Someone sent me an email about a local Chevy dealer that had 75 '09 "King Cab" trucks they needed to sell by the end of the year.

When I called them up and asked them what a Chevy "King Cab" was, after finally reaching someone that spoke English!, they said they called them "King Cabs" because of all the Ford they sold.

OK?

On the other hand I found out what the Chevy truck month incentive is all about. It depends on how long the truck was on the lot, the longer it's been sitting there, the higher the incentive.
Posted on: 2009/10/21 12:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Chevy truck month
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Never ceases to amaze me the stupid things dealers do.

But as far as the incentives, you could get a good deal if you don't mind a stripped down truck, etc, whatever isn't popular and selling.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/21 13:06

BrianCunningham Re: Chevy truck month
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I did a little shopping last night just to see what's out there.

Turns out a shop that I trust is selling an '06 F150 Lariat for a friend who's going through a divorce.

Nice truck, 4x4, all options went for $42k new, 43k on it for $19k.

Now do I get a older car with everything on it, or for about the same get a new truck, with a lot less on it?

Decisions, decisions
Posted on: 2009/10/22 13:23

BillH Re: Chevy truck month
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Now do I get a older car with everything on it, or for about the same get a new truck, with a lot less on it?

Decisions, decisions

I will for my next one. I can't handle the "driving off the lot depreciation".
I've had such good experiences with my used Chev. I'll buy a 06 & up Chev with low mileage.

I towed a bunch with an 08 Ford F250 and a 08 Expedition that the race shop ower.
I didn't like them all that much, just a different feel while driving vs a Chev.
They did do what they're supposed to do but it was just little things I didn't care for.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 14:48

CentralCoaster Re: Chevy truck month
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Turns out a shop that I trust is selling an '06 F150 Lariat for a friend who's going through a divorce.

Nice truck, 4x4, all options went for $42k new, 43k on it for $19k.

They are nice trucks, but 42K new? He's bsing you. I paid $32 for the same, completely loaded, but 2wd and that included taxes and was before employee pricing.

Sold it for 18K when it was 2 years old. Sounds reasonable but there's better deals out there. The Ford is nice, but I'd compare with the Titan and new Chevy models first.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 19:53

SpectatorRacing Re: Chevy truck month
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

No mention of the new Dodges? The media can't get enough of them.

I've been happy enough with my last generation Ram, but if they hadn't done a redesign this year on the 2500 my next truck would have been a Ford F250.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 20:44

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

They are nice trucks, but 42K new? He's bsing you. I paid $32 for the same, completely loaded, but 2wd and that included taxes and was before employee pricing.

Sold it for 18K when it was 2 years old. Sounds reasonable but there's better deals out there. The Ford is nice, but I'd compare with the Titan and new Chevy models first.

I was hoping you'd chime in as you owned one, thanks.

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

I've been happy enough with my last generation Ram, but if they hadn't done a redesign this year on the 2500 my next truck would have been a Ford F250.

I'm looking at everything.

As a matter of fact a Dodge was the only decent looking truck at another lot I stopped at.

I'd love to get a Cummins Diesel.
I actually test drove one back before the new body style came out.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 20:55

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I can't speak for the other models, but on the F150, here's a quickie:

The extended cab doors suck because they don't open all the way and are useless if you have vehicles parked next to you.

The leather is sooooo thin. It'll look like shit after 5 years.

The 100K mile spark plug necks corrode into the heads and snap off, leaving you with the cost of pulling the head. Pull them and clean them every 20K or so to avoid this.

Gas mileage is atrocious on the 5.4. 17mpg tops on the highway (70mph) after breaking it in. You'd have to lug it at 55 to get the advertised mileage.

Too many interior rattles for a truck that new. Might be addressed with the newer versions of it.

Bed rails are really high and a bitch to load stuff into, but that's the case with all the new trucks now.

Front brakes dust like crazy and will eat the finish off your wheels, clean them regularly.

Hard to haul stuff in the extended cab, the seattops don't fold down anymore. Now the bottoms fold up, but there's limited floor space and it's occupied by the damn seat rack mounts and jack and subwoofer if you have it.

Interior is awesome, truck is very quiet, rides great, stereo is great, especially with the in-dash 6-disc mp3 player. They have an optional power rear window now, it's worth it if it's the large size one that retracts downwards. Power side windows in the extended cab are nice too. Captain's chairs option with center console has a/c vents in the back, very comfy for 4-5 adults with the extended cab.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 21:13

pianoguy Re: Chevy truck month
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

The way Dodge did the "eyebrows" over the exhaust looks badass to me, kind of a throwback look. Probably not sufficient criteria for a purchase, though:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/10/22 21:24

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

TommyT-Bone Re: Chevy truck month
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33755 Posts

What do people like to drive in the winter around New England? Answer: A shitbox. Go find a nice older truck that you can plow into snow mounds and not give a shit about. Salt and snow look just as bad on a new truck as it does on an old one. With the money you save you can go to Dunkin Donuts anytime you want over the next couple of years.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 9:31

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Thanks for the honest review, I really do like the looks of those 2004–2008 F-150's. If they didn't change the grill on the '09's they'd be on the list.

I heard about the plug issue, sounds like the earlier ones used to spit them out!

I hit a Chevy dealer last night that of my club members has been dealing with for years. I really just wanted to check out one of the Work Trucks and see just how spartan they are.
Surprisingly there not spartan at all. I kinda liked the rubber floor instead of a rug, be perfect for cleaning up after a day at the track, or taking it off road. I used to have a Class II license, and like trucks, well that are trucks.

They run about $22-26k after the rebates. The extended cabs cost more, but you get more of a rebate, so that will add about $1,500. Which I think I'd appreciate having if I go on another out of state contract. Buzz windows and doors will run another grand or so.

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
What do people like to drive in the winter around New England? Answer: A shitbox. Go find a nice older truck that you can plow into snow mounds and not give a shit about. Salt and snow look just as bad on a new truck as it does on an old one. With the money you save you can go to Dunkin Donuts anytime you want over the next couple of years.

I've been thinking about that as well.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 14:28

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Man, good info on the Fords. I am also with you on the new grill. Seriously? Did we need more chrome ANYWHERE in our lives? >barf<

I've traditionally had Chrysler / Jeep products as my father was an employee and now is a retiree, so I get the discount. I've been happy with the '08 Ram in general, but like I said before, the redesign was necessary to keep up with the competition. My biggest gripe was that it was too spartan for a friggn' $43,000 vehicle.

Utility-wise it's never let me down. Hauls everything, including my buddy's 32 ft trailer, well over 10,500 lbs loaded with a car. Of course you need a load limiting hitch, you knew that already.

The ride is great, there's no touching the power, and I like the styling. The interior is a bit cheap looking compared to Ford, but not far off the Chevy. I have the bucket seats with leather and heat, they're fine and have held up but are certainly nothing special. Lots of storage, which is good. I carry a lot of junk to the track. The rear seats have good room, I carry four passengers all the time. The doors open to almost 90*, so ingress/egress is easy as well. The rear seats also fold up and have a sub-floor that folds out so you have a flat surface across the whole back. This is awesome. Don't know if the other guys have this.

On the downside, it doesn't have simple things like automatic headlights. Yes, I can live without them, but cripes! Every car has that these days. Kias have automatic headlights. The stereo isn't so grand, either, but I picked the cheap one so that's kind of my fault. Great truck, but the competition was better until this year - like stated earlier, I think the '09 models changed that big time.

As for the Chevy trucks, I have heard good things about them, I just can't stand the styling. They look ridiculous to me. With things being close, that's a deal breaker.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 14:52

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

BTW, did you know that the Dodge diesel motor is a 6 cylinder? 650 ft*lbs of torque from a 6 cylinder.

Damn, son!
Posted on: 2009/10/23 15:01

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Man, I hate automatic headlights. Ever since I bought that truck I started leaving the lights on in my other vehicles. I can't count how many dead batteries I've woken up to.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 22:16

cuisinartvette Re: Chevy truck month
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Exactly, get a beater with a big block and a T400, cant go wrong. Why buy a nice truck thats going to rust out anyway?

Maybe a early-mid 70s FS truck, duallie or? Something wiht a wheelbase.
Tommy has a good point.
Posted on: 2009/10/24 1:16

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Well, the dealer found a truck that's been sitting in inventory for a while.

The invoice is $28k, but I can get it for $23k

5.3V8, 4x4, 3.75 axle, 8ft bed, AC, buzz windows, locks & mirrors, nice color.

the only caveat is that it's a regular cab.

Can't make up my mind if that's good or bad.

I'd definitely put either a cap or a cover on it.

thoughts?
Posted on: 2009/10/26 23:56

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33755 Posts

Your paying cash, Right?
Posted on: 2009/10/27 0:36

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

that's the idea
Posted on: 2009/10/27 1:57

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'd pay an extra 2-3k for an extended, but that's just my O.

I don't like caps that much for the same reason I don't like Suburbans, you have to crawl in on your hands and knees.
But, I do like covers. Here's my ARE, pricy but very secure.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0603.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMGP0604.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/10/27 16:42

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Hard hard are those to remove for large loads?

How much does it weigh?

I was thinking a rollup, but they're obviously not as secure.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 16:48

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

No idea what it weighs, Brian. I'd guess 150. I can pull the struts an easily lift it straight up. It's clamped on so you could remove it fairly easily maybe with a rope pully but in 6 years, I've never had to remove it to haul something. I have had it at a 45 degree angle strapped down to haul a taller load. But anything else goes in that white thingy with the feather decal behind the truck in the first pic.

I looked at them all, the rollups are kinda chincy and yea, not as secure. I didn't want anything that was easily broken into.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 16:57

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Posted on: 2009/10/27 17:11

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, they're very nice. They're also $3k by the time you get the options on.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 17:21

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
ever use a cap with side access doors?

Not gonna fit many tires in there.

I prefer no cap, no cover. I load crap in there all the time that would protrude above the cover.

Dishwashers, paint sprayers, pressure washers, SBC 350's and Hoosiers all stick up higher than the side rails. And when we throw an old couch and a keg back there to go out drinkin' - well, I don't need to tell you how much easier that is without a cover.

I never worry about my stuff in the truck bed at the track, there are a lot nicer things out there to steal than my beat up, brake dust encrusted GS rims and dry-rotted rain tires.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 17:21

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I haul all that crap too just with the cover part way down. And many loads to the landfill the same way.

I don't worry about stuff at the track either, it's the motels on a long tow that concern me. People there would steal a bag of horse dung out of the back of your truck.

I do pull the steering wheel off the racecar and put it in the trailer every nite at the track. :tongue3:
Posted on: 2009/10/27 17:37

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

I don't worry about stuff at the track either, it's the motels on a long tow that concern me. People there would steal a bag of horse dung out of the back of your truck.

I do pull the steering wheel off the racecar and put it in the trailer every nite at the track. :tongue3:

I sleep in the trailer, and there's not room for both of us. So she loses

Good point about Motels. I wouldn't leave that stuff out in public, but I don't usually tow that far to need one.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 17:41

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

That's why if I mount a toolbox back there, I want to make sure it's covered.

Out of sight, out of mind.

I like the idea of the tools being in the bed of the truck, rather than in the cab in case I'm in a wreck.

Of course right now their under my C4's hatch!
Posted on: 2009/10/27 17:50

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I wouldn't buy a new truck without at least an ext cab. You can use a chain or cable to lock up your tires in the bed for race days (ugly side up to deter thieves) and keep all your tools in the ext cab. Plus you can haul more than 2 people. Not a big deal for you now, but it will be at some point.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 19:37

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
[quote]

I sleep in the trailer, and there's not room for both of us. So she loses

Good point about Motels. I wouldn't leave that stuff out in public, but I don't usually tow that far to need one.

The only time I have to hit a motel on tow is for Buttonwillow (8.5hrs), Vegas(8.5hrs) or Portland (10.5hrs.)
and I gon't go there often. Laguna Seca's a pain with 6.5hr. tow after 3 days of racing but I always go home Sunday nite.

I stay in the trailer too. I've got a fairly nice set up. have a airbed with a frame that folds out like an easyup, kitchen stuff, tv/dvd, heater. I'm going to get an a/c.

It's so nic staying at the track vs. a half hour drive to a motel, waitin' around for everyone to get together, waitin' to get into a restaurant,etc. Plus the parties at the track are a blast.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:08

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I wouldn't buy a new truck without at least an ext cab.

Me either, especially after owning one.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:10

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33755 Posts

Depreciation on a new truck is a killer. King Cab, Crew Cab, Extended Cab. Why don't you find one three years old, low miles, with what you want and get extended warranty coverage to 100,000 or more miles. It will look nice, won't depreciate as much and will do what you want it to. I'd keep looking. You can pick up a bottle of New Car Air Refresher just for effect.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:17

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Depreciation on a new truck is a killer. King Cab, Crew Cab, Extended Cab. Why don't you find one three years old, low miles, with what you want and get extended warranty coverage to 100,000 or more miles.

That's what I would do. Thinkin' abut the depreciation while driving off the lot woul make me cringe.

I bought my 2000 in 2004 for a good bit less than 1/2 the sticker. It did have 60k on it. Now at 130k and 5years later, I've put only $200 in parts into it.
I'd buy a 2006 & up with 20-30k on it in a minute.
Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:38

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

This is starting to wizz me off. Now, I'm geting truck fever. When I bought mine, a used truck like this was going for $28k.
This one's $19k, 34k miles.

Attach file:

jpg  12613979490_264579080_IM1_MAIN_240x180_A_240x180.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:51

Matatk Re: Chevy truck month
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Quote:

We've had trucks in the past with both caps and soft tonneau covers. The cap is a pain for climbing in and out of, and it's not really that secure especially with windows and the chinsy locks. Soft covers are a waste of time. Have you considered this:

http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp?pr=American_Work_Cover

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/27 23:32

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well, by new I meant newer. The trucks I buy were built before extended cabs existed!
The older models just don't hold a candle to the new ones on tow capacity or loading.

A crew cab would be nice for sleeping in the back seat. Any chevy 73 and newer will accomodate a person 5'8 or shorter back there. A camper shell would be much comfier though. Save that motel money for race tires.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 0:13

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Youll regret not getting a longer wheelbase truck just to save a few $$..

Telling ya man...Older Chev/Ford truck with a Big motor stout trans, put a rack on the the trailer to chain your tires to, shell to sleep in and keep stuff and youre done. As you can see doing this to a new/nwere truck, its just going to get beat. How often are you really going to use it.

Id take an old T400 trans over these electronic OD trans anyday . Maybe an old Dually.

Save your money..easy to get new car fever becuase they are comfy and have gadgets but its all stuff youll have to fix down the road.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 1:22

bogus Re: Chevy truck month
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If I had my choice, I would order this:

Dodge Ram D2500, 2wd, Cummins, 6spd manual.

Done.

The downside? It's $37k MSRP!!!!
Posted on: 2009/10/28 1:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

as far as I'm concerned 2wd isn't an option here.
Photobucket
I stopped by that shop I posted about before and drove the 2001 Ext cab 4x4 Silverado 3dr, 89k on it for $7k
and the 2006 F150 Extended cab Lariat 46k on it for $20k

The F150 sure was nice, and there was a boatload of room in the Chevy.

Getting a brand new truck for a few grand more though has a certain appeal.

Buying the older Chevy would save me a lot of $$$, but if I go out on the road how reliable will it be with no place to fix it?

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

We've had trucks in the past with both caps and soft tonneau covers. The cap is a pain for climbing in and out of, and it's not really that secure especially with windows and the chinsy locks. Soft covers are a waste of time. Have you considered this:

http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp?pr=American_Work_Cover

Matthew

that looks like the ticket right there
Posted on: 2009/10/28 13:27

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

I stopped by that shop I posted about before and drove the 2001 Ext cab 4x4 Silverado 3dr, 89k on it for $7k.Buying the older Chevy would save me a lot of $$$, but if I go out on the road how reliable will it be with no place to fix it?

2001 with a 3 door? I thought they quit making them in 1999.

All I can say about the reliability is what I've experienced with my 2000.
I bought it in 2004 with 64k on it. Most of the first 64k was towing a 8,000lb, RV. I now have 130k on it. The 5.3 uses zero oil, has zero oil leaks. Same with the trans.
My total repairs have been: 1 front wheel bearing -$122 and
2 EGR check valves-$70.
I bought it from the orig. owner, this truck has never been in a shop for repair.
I'd jump in it right now and drive cross country ith no worries at all.

Attach file:

jpg  Silverado.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/10/28 13:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

That's really nice.
But, at a base price of $2,400 w/o options, it's 2 1/2 times the cost of my ARE cover.
That's quite a lot of bucks to cover a pickup bed.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 14:33

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]Buying the older Chevy would save me a lot of $$$, but if I go out on the road how reliable will it be with no place to fix it?[/QUOTE]
Lot easier to diagnose and fix than a computerized car.
Thought you were interested in a 2wd for a minute, guess not.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 14:37

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Just got off the phone with the dealer.

I told him it's a toss up between the truck he was talking about the the Ford I drove last night.

Said he might have an F150 there with 6k miles on it.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 14:40

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Just buy a new truck with a warranty, that Chevy with the 89k and 4l60 will puke its trans at some point. They are junk.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 14:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
, that Chevy with the 89k and 4l60 will puke its trans at some point. They are junk.

Any idea what that point is? Mine's at 130k, mostly towing.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 15:03

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Warrantys are useless if the dealership service departments are full of morons. I missed more work from my new F150 being in the dealership than from my vette breaking down.

It's like if you had cancer and the first 3 doctors you go to tell you it's a common cold. During the warranty they waste your time for free, but what about after 3yrs or 36K has passed? Are you going to pay them to scratch their heads, or try it yourself?

The investment in diagnostic tools is 100x more than any OBD1 vehicle. They don't even come with underhood lights now! Consider that a warning sign.

New cars are more expensive to own than older cars, every time.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 15:05

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
, that Chevy with the 89k and 4l60 will puke its trans at some point. They are junk.

Any idea what that point is? Mine's at 130k, mostly towing.

My brother is on his 3rd 4l60e on his. First replacement was under warranty.

Cleaning a gallon of ATF spray and road dust off my vette it was towing isn't fun.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 15:06

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Yeah 4 of them from the day I bought my 02 new.

93 miles and the case cracked in half going into reverse. That was the first one.
They claim it was a front pump defect among other things that got straightened out in 04 (it didnt). Most Silverado owners Ive talked to have been through a number of them, dealer says youre lucky to get 60k out of them.
Maybe you got lucky with yours.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 15:07

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Warrantys are useless if the dealership service departments are full of morons.

Wow, are there dealership service departments aren't full of morons out there?
Posted on: 2009/10/28 15:08

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It's probably quality control moreso than design. One built after siesta won't last as long as one built before siesta.

Attach file:

jpg  DY003131.jpg (115.29 KB)
793_4ae85f996527f.jpg 640X430 px
Posted on: 2009/10/28 15:12

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Warrantys are useless if the dealership service departments are full of morons.

Wow, are there dealership service departments aren't full of morons out there?

Dunno, I quit searching!

The guy working in my personal garage at home is a moron sometimes but at least he doesn't charge a dime.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 15:15

(1) 2 3 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.