Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
209 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

indynick Are my Injectors Leaking?
Guru Newb
3 Posts

My 95 Corvette (103k miles) is acting like a carbureted car, with a sticky float. When the car sits over night, it takes about 5 seconds to start. It used to start in 2 seconds. If left over the weekend, it takes 10-15 seconds. It runs normal, but is using a little more fuel than it used to. If I stop at a store, and come back out in less than 5 minutes, everything is normal. If I am gone 10-15 minutes, it starts ok, but when I drive away, it bucks and farts, until I get up to speed. If I am gone 20- 30 minutes, I can’t get it started. It is flooded. Do I need new fuel injectors?
Posted on: 2009/10/27 14:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Vetron87 Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Your 95 should have a shrader valve on the fuel rail. Take out little valve and connect fuel pressure gauge. Should read approx 45-47psi with engine running. Shut off engine and watch pressure gauge. If injectors are leaking fuel psi will drop rapidly. (Flooding) Get in contact with Jon from the Fuel Injection Connection. He solved my injector problems with my 87 and gave me several suggestions. I went with his recomendation. Welcome to CG great group!! Ron
Posted on: 2009/10/27 23:24

CentralCoaster Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Definitely sounds like it. After a weekend, try cycling the key on twice with a pause after each, then starting it. If it fires right away then your fuel rail is taking longer to prime.

The no start after 20 minutes and poor running sounds like classic injector bleed off into the intake which floods it. After sitting long enough, the fuel evaporates.

Fyi, you can clear the flood by holding the throttle wide open and turning it over. This should disable the injectors and blow the small amount of fuel out the exhaust.

I would lift the fuel rail with the injectors connected and prime it with the key. Put some blue shop towels under each tip to find the culprits. You can get them rebuilt but check which injectors you have, the disc type multec injectors don't have a good track record.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 0:21

bogus Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree with all the above.

Would I bother with getting Multecs rebuilt? No.

I would also check the fuel pump. A weak check valve will cause this, too.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 1:51

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

indynick Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Guru Newb
3 Posts

Thanks for the reply's. I don't think my fuel pressure gauge will fit the shrader valve on the fuel rail. I will try cycling the key test. Bogus, how would I check the fuel pump?
Posted on: 2009/10/28 15:36

Vetron87 Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Turn ignition key on not start. turn key off after 15 sec,purge shrader valve. If fuel comes out under alot of pressure(cover with rag) pump should be ok. Multitek injectors no. Your return line maybe cracked under pressure... I doubt that because you would smell gas all the time. I have worked on only 2- 95's both displayed same symptoms, both had bad injectors. Replace with Bosch from FIC. Invest in a good fuel pressure gauge. Holley, Accel, Snap-On.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 16:46

bogus Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

AFAIK, all fuel pressure gauges - save Ford - will fit. And they include adaptors for Ford valves.
Posted on: 2009/10/28 17:04

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

joecar Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Guru Newb
1 Posts

You may also want to check that the fuel pressure regulator is still good...

it should hold any vacuum you apply to its vacuum port...

if it doesn't hold vacuum, then the diaphragm is ruptured which allows manifold vacuum to suck fuel straight from the rail.
Posted on: 2009/11/20 2:03

indynick Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Guru Newb
3 Posts

I installed the injectors from FIC, but the symptoms are the same. I am going to look at the Fuel Pressure Regulator, as joecar suggested. If the diaphragm is ruptured, will I see fuel run out of the unit? If so, which end of the vacuum hose should I disconnect? Do I need a hand operated vacuum pump to test the diaphragm?
Posted on: 2009/11/30 22:07

FICINJECTORS Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Gold Sponsor Vendor
117 Posts

Quote:

indynick wrote:
I installed the injectors from FIC, but the symptoms are the same. I am going to look at the Fuel Pressure Regulator, as joecar suggested. If the diaphragm is ruptured, will I see fuel run out of the unit? If so, which end of the vacuum hose should I disconnect? Do I need a hand operated vacuum pump to test the diaphragm?
Just disconnect the vac hose at the regulator and start the car, if gas spews out the reg diaphragm is no good. You have my cell # call me when you do this..
Posted on: 2009/12/1 4:07

Matatk Re: Are my Injectors Leaking?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Did you do any diagnostics? Ie FSM?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/12/1 19:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.