Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
181 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Scared in your vette? or any car?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Do yall ever feel scared for your own personal safety when you are mainly in your vette but I suppose in a nice car as well....Like when I go to pump gas, I feel nervous and watchful when I am by myself in the vette....It's just a bad habit. I also carry pepperspray with me. Any other car, I am not bothered. I suppose it's because people have been mean to me and more dity looks in my vette. Maybe its just a mind thing, but I just wanted to know if you guys ever felt that. Im 6-3 but still, it's just this feeling I get when I step out of the car that people watch me and seem angry. Which you can say its jealousy but thats irrelevant to me....Anything you guys would do if someone was getting a little in your comfort zone?
Posted on: 2007/9/19 1:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:Scared in your vette? or any car?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

whoa... dude... you need some help with that paranoia... the world ain't out to get you... and if they are, well... uh... get them first.

I don't get bothered... I am 5'11" and nearly 300lbs, no one in their right mind would try to mess with me. Hell, I could fall on them and do serious harm.

I read that thread title and thought you meant if my car was scary to drive or whatever. I didn't expect this! I will say, tho, I have a healthy respect for my Vette... and a genuine fear of my brothers old 1967 427/435hp tri-power... that thing could put the fear of God into anyone... 450+hp with no brakes or tires!
Posted on: 2007/9/19 1:59

VtVette RE:Scared in your vette? or any car?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

I think most people will react to the way to act towards them. If you get out of your car and look around at everyone, watching until they see you, they will feel you are watching them and may be a threat. Know what I mean? I've traveled through all 48 states (driving) and been in some very, very seedy places I didn't belong. Just go about your business and don't seem over confident (arrogant) , or scared (weak), and people will generally leave you alone. The few times I've had an issue I just stood my ground and never had to resort to fighting. Most people who give a person trouble for no reason are bullies by nature and will stand down fast when someone stands their ground. I'm 5'9 175lbs and certainly not the most intimidating person you've ever seen.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 2:18

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

NC Kid RE:Scared in your vette? or any car?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Im not "paranoid" persay but I am cautious. Im never arrogant. I was just saying. Having a vette means pewople do get jealous. Im not talkign about bullys. Not to be a put down and not to just post to be posting btu I was saying like say you went to a...gas station....nothing fancy and I haev been asked for money by well....homeless/poor/nasty people and give them soem loose change and they get so close to me and kinda creepy. And plus being a teen, DUH, some of teh ricer teens have given me some well chosen words just pumping gas. Just thought I would ask and see what you guys have gone thru with sports cars. Thanks. Bogus 300 lbs? No offense but I thought you were kinda umm......below average....maybe 170 5-8.... You work out?

5'8"? 170? That was in 1982... An honest 5'11" and about 300... I need to loose about 50+ lbs. I got a bunion on my right foot that has been damned near crippling. Time for another cortizone shot.

work out? HA! 12 oz curls... I need to hit the gym, tho... starting Friday, I am going to the one at work... I hope to hit it M-W-F after work for an hour.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 2:25

brut RE:Scared in your vette? or any car?
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I work EMS and have seen some of the shadiest people out there. I know that some people are naturally crazy and some are nice...and sometimes its hard to tell which ones are which. I agree with above, if you mind your business, most of the time no one will mess with ya.

However, when the time comes that someones trying to get a piece of you, be the bigger man and walk away. Sometimes its just not worth all the trouble that could follow with the altercation. If that don't work, then stand your ground and aim for the nose.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 3:15

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Funny aiming for the nose. painful huh?
Posted on: 2007/9/19 12:02

red_johnny RE:Scared in your vette? or any car?
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Well, I do have this to say....I am never concerned about that kind of stuff when I drive around. If someone wants a piece they can come get it cause I aint going to back down. Second, as far as the pepper spray....toss that crap and get yourself a gun. The only thing that pepper spray will do is piss someone off. IF you hit them in the eyes it will blind them for a short period but if you hit any where else its not going to do alot. Now, with a gun
Posted on: 2007/9/20 0:05

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

A gun? Im only 19...you have 2 be atlteast 21 to get a handgun, i dont want to kill someone, and if I did shoot someone even if they were attacking me, chances are I am going to get in some kind of toruble....Pepper spray hurts pretty bad, I accidentally did it to myself when I was younger...4 hours of misery yoww and a couple days of sorness....when I did spray him though....man he was running around....his mom called the skool the next day and complained but I was doing self defense....sort of....
Posted on: 2007/9/20 0:18

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Well you dont have to shoot to kill, you can shoot to disable the attacker. From what I am told and I was only going off of what I was told from a cop is that pepper spray is a wattered down CS riot gas. I have been hit with full strength riot gas and THAT is not fun. Wattered down stuff I could probably handle though. If I were as tall as you I would not be worried about darn near anything
Posted on: 2007/9/20 0:53

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

You look scary though... 10th grade I was benching over 2oo pds then I got lazy and now im skinny.
Posted on: 2007/9/20 1:03

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Scared in your vette? or any car?
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Try this if youre really that worried, ill make a list for ya...

Smoke the absolute strongest cigarettes you can buy, that will deepen your voice, which will make you sound tougher. If Marlboro Red is as strong as you can get there, better just go straight onto cigars.

Drink scotch and or Irish whiskey every night, that will keep you clean and healthy on the inside, as well as keeping you relaxed when youre home from a hard day. (dont be drinking and then driving though, that is stupid)

DONT take drugs, they are for losers. This isnt negotiable.

Shoot from the hip. Youll probably miss, but thats not such a bad thing, cause youll still look tough as nails.

Learn the terms in this dictionary: http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html These will serve you far better than any ghetto gangsta talk.

Dress standards are very important, if you look like a pussy, chances are you are a pussy. Dress cheap, dont be afraid to wear a 10 year old t shirt that is stretched out of shape, faded and got holes in it.

Dont shave every day. For christ sake this is just too bloody expensive. The money you save on razors can go into paying off the car.

If youre going to wear a cap, put it on the right way around. Not sideways, not backwards.

Any questions??
Posted on: 2007/9/20 10:36

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:
Try this if youre really that worried, ill make a list for ya...

Smoke the absolute strongest cigarettes you can buy, that will deepen your voice, which will make you sound tougher. If Marlboro Red is as strong as you can get there, better just go straight onto cigars.

Drink scotch and or Irish whiskey every night, that will keep you clean and healthy on the inside, as well as keeping you relaxed when youre home from a hard day. (dont be drinking and then driving though, that is stupid)

DONT take drugs, they are for losers. This isnt negotiable.

Shoot from the hip. Youll probably miss, but thats not such a bad thing, cause youll still look tough as nails.

Learn the terms in this dictionary: http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html These will serve you far better than any ghetto gangsta talk.

Dress standards are very important, if you look like a pussy, chances are you are a pussy. Dress cheap, dont be afraid to wear a 10 year old t shirt that is stretched out of shape, faded and got holes in it.

Dont shave every day. For christ sake this is just too bloody expensive. The money you save on razors can go into paying off the car.

If youre going to wear a cap, put it on the right way around. Not sideways, not backwards.

Any questions??

Thats awsome case! Follow those and I bet NO ONE will mess with you
Posted on: 2007/9/20 12:29

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Thanks mate, i made all that up as i went along, but believe it or not, im not far off that!!
Resized Image
Resized Image

That is one of my good going out shirts....
Posted on: 2007/9/20 12:58

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Ehh. I could beat you up case. Dont do drugs, dnot drink, dont smoke either....drugs would make me stupider...I like my liver....and my lungs to. Dressing dirty all the time won't get me to far. I date preppy girls....not skanky low class yuckies....I can tell you drink alot, smoke a little, dress how you want to and have a deep voice....What do you do? How you afford all these cars you have had/have?
Posted on: 2007/9/20 13:53

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

See mate there ya go with the "how do you afford a car like that" based on my looks thing!! (I can only imagine how much youll sh*t yourself when you know i paid $45,000 AUD for my 94 and back when i got it, that was a steal.) I work quite hard for my money, and i manage it very well to get what i do out of it.

You judged the standard of girls i keep by the way i look too, another big no no. Decent girls dont give a damn how ya look!!

You must learn that class is a state of mind, the girls youll ultimately get to date and keep has bugger all to do with your looks, cause if it does, youre chasing the wrong ones.

Im not sure what you call skanky low class yuckies, but again, youre judging looks and thats bad taste.

Based on your reply there i can see exactly why you feel nervous when you go out in your Corvette!!!

Its taken me bloody ages to type that out, i thought your post was really funny!! Thanks for the laugh mate

P.S. Im an Italian Australian, chances of you beating me up are very bloody slim mate!!!
Posted on: 2007/9/20 15:02

CSS996 RE:Scared in your vette? or any car?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Shoot, us C4 guys are driving cars that most people don't care about. I'm not nervous about what people think. Most people don't even know it's a Corvette, I bet. I DO still get a little nervous about being in control of more than a 130hp front drive ricer, which is the family truckster, or a POS cargo van like I drive for work.

I've never noticed anyone looking at me when I'm driving. Maybe I'm concentrating too hard on keeping the car between the lines, with it's darty ass tires on it.

Just relax and do your own thing in your own way. You're just another guy, and the Corvette is just another car. If it makes you smile when you drive it, like mine does, well just keep that to yourself. If nobody knows how cool it really is, then they won't be jealous.

I like cars in general, so if I'm at a gas station and a dude in an orange Mitsubishi Eclipse with a carbon fiber hood and a crazy wing shows up, I'd most likely give him a nod, just because he's a car guy as well. I think most people who would give you the evil eye over owning a Corvette probably do so because their perception is that we look down on them. Which I actually don't.

So, relax and enjoy your car. You are lucky to have one at such a young age. I wanted one since I was 17 and it took me until I was 37.
Posted on: 2007/9/20 15:39

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
.... I think most people who would give you the evil eye over owning a Corvette probably do so because their perception is that we look down on them.....

Its all so true mate, dead true and i agree. That part i quoted is the bit i was trying to say but you found the better way to word it for me.
Posted on: 2007/9/20 17:13

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

It's the accent, mate.
Posted on: 2007/9/20 17:30

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

HAHAHAHHAHA!!! I think its more the fact i just didnt know how to word it so as not to offend anyone!!!!
Posted on: 2007/9/20 17:34

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:
See mate there ya go with the "how do you afford a car like that" based on my looks thing!! (I can only imagine how much youll sh*t yourself when you know i paid $45,000 AUD for my 94 and back when i got it, that was a steal.) I work quite hard for my money, and i manage it very well to get what i do out of it.

You judged the standard of girls i keep by the way i look too, another big no no. Decent girls dont give a damn how ya look!!

You must learn that class is a state of mind, the girls youll ultimately get to date and keep has bugger all to do with your looks, cause if it does, youre chasing the wrong ones.

Im not sure what you call skanky low class yuckies, but again, youre judging looks and thats bad taste.

Based on your reply there i can see exactly why you feel nervous when you go out in your Corvette!!!

Its taken me bloody ages to type that out, i thought your post was really funny!! Thanks for the laugh mate

P.S. Im an Italian Australian, chances of you beating me up are very bloody slim mate!!!
Good way to say it! Example, if I wrapped a turd in a fancy wrapper and made it look pretty the fact is its still a turd. Now if I take a diamond and place it in a muddy hole its still a diamond! Get what we are sayin?
Posted on: 2007/9/20 19:44

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out how an Italian/Aussie accent would sound trying to pull off a mob-style "Fuhggedabowdit mate!"

Can't seem to wrap my head around it... :tongue:
Posted on: 2007/9/20 20:05

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

case yoru confusing me? I wasn't judging by your looks. I was asking a real quiestion. i wanted to know WHAT YOU DO....I mean...here in america....where people make say 50-60 grand a year havent owned like 3 vettes like you have....Maybe your moneys diff? Italian aussie? I am just Italian. Iiun no wat italians aussies r but if it involves the mafia, yoru right, you got me whooped before you even look at me.....I only got one is because everyone that I knew did drugs and I didnt, and I try hard ....I think a big reason is because my parents didn't want me in a honda with all the wings and stuff because alot of those guys are bad news...Trouble and drugs.....If I had a car that was non-rice then I would be less suceptiable to get in with the wrong crowd.....
Posted on: 2007/9/20 20:49

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
case yoru confusing me? I wasn't judging by your looks. I was asking a real quiestion. i wanted to know WHAT YOU DO....I mean...here in america....where people make say 50-60 grand a year havent owned like 3 vettes like you have....Maybe your moneys diff? Italian aussie? I am just Italian. Iiun no wat italians aussies r but if it involves the mafia, yoru right, you got me whooped before you even look at me.....I only got one is because everyone that I knew did drugs and I didnt, and I try hard ....I think a big reason is because my parents didn't want me in a honda with all the wings and stuff because alot of those guys are bad news...Trouble and drugs.....If I had a car that was non-rice then I would be less suceptiable to get in with the wrong crowd.....

I dont know what is required to have a Corvette over there income wise, Australian dollars are worth about 85c US, and i dont make anywhere near $50,000 a year. Our money is different, but not by much at all, and Corvettes are substantially more expensive here.

Im a Maintenance technician. I maintain many different types of equipment, manufacture stuff, fix things, service things, all that kind of stuff. Best job in the world.

Youve judged Honda drivers as a bad crowd, bad form is all i can say. I know a few rice burner blokes that are pretty decent fellas. Vehicular choice doesnt indicate lifestyle choices. Bogus used to drive a Honda and he is a bloody good bloke!!! Last i heard though, you didnt get a free bag of disco biscuits with a decklid mounted spoiler!!

Not only am i an Italian Australian, my ex mrs was greek, so ill have the italian mafia and the greek mafia onto ya!!
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how an Italian/Aussie accent would sound trying to pull off a mob-style "Fuhggedabowdit mate!"

Can't seem to wrap my head around it... :tongue:

HAHAHAHA!!! Youre a funny bloke mate, i read that and almost spilt my beer!! I was born in Australia, so was my old man, although my grandmother was not. My old lady is Australian. Ill get over there to Colorado soon so we will have to meet up for a few beers mate eh?
Quote:
Good way to say it! Example, if I wrapped a turd in a fancy wrapper and made it look pretty the fact is its still a turd. Now if I take a diamond and place it in a muddy hole its still a diamond! Get what we are sayin?

No worries mate, i sure do!!
Posted on: 2007/9/21 12:38

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Looking forward to it sir!
Posted on: 2007/9/21 14:03

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Book your Corvette in for a service at my mate's shop in Burlington while im there and i will personally do the service for you!!! HAHAHA!! Long drive for a service mate eh!!! But hey there wont be too many people over there that will ever be able to say they had their Corvette serviced by the "Internationally Infamous CasetheCorvetteman"!!
Posted on: 2007/9/21 15:31

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Spark plugs and a Hurst shifter install! HAHAHAHA!

But seriously... Let's chat when you're closer to showing up, for sure!
Posted on: 2007/9/21 15:44

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No worries mate, will do indeed
Posted on: 2007/9/21 15:57

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I enjoy watching you guys.....and got a 2nd brake quiestion in my other thread case.
Posted on: 2007/9/21 16:17

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Yeah, we hijacked the crap outta this. Sorry man.... Bad form.
Posted on: 2007/9/21 16:23

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

HAHAHA!!! He was more concerned about car-jacking at the start of the thread, he shouldve been thinking about how long it was going to take for me to thread-jack instead!!

Blackvette im just going outside for a good strong cigarette and then ill have a ganda at your other brake issue mate ;)
Posted on: 2007/9/21 16:24

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Everytime I post, I always go off topic.....not intentionally though.....Something interesting always pops in my mind halfway thru a thread....Back off topic.....Smokings bad for you. You need to stop smoking so much. Whos going to help me with all my car problems if you get emphasema and laying in a bed.
Posted on: 2007/9/21 16:52

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Everytime I post, I always go off topic.....not intentionally though.....Something interesting always pops in my mind halfway thru a thread....Back off topic.....Smokings bad for you. You need to stop smoking so much. Whos going to help me with all my car problems if you get emphasema and laying in a bed.

Youll be right mate, lot of years left in me yet. If i get that sick and cant help you with your car, we will know i was wrong!!!

Threads like this start offtopic, cause this IS offtopic!!! Everything so far has been relevant enough for me
Posted on: 2007/9/21 17:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.