Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
252 user(s) are online (212 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Millah NASA or SCCA
Guru Newb
12 Posts

I want to join a club and get the vette out and do some real driving with her. Whats the best club for my area? I live in the Reno NV area. Road courses look like a good time but our track is temp. shut down. So I think its just a solo or autocross area for now. Need more info from the experts. My car is a stock 89 vette coupe.

Thanks
Don
Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: NASA or SCCA
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Don, Actually, you don't have to join either but, if you plan to AutoX, get your Reno SCCA membership.

For track days, you can run HPDEs without joining a club. The beat in the area is Hooked on Driving. TEAM also puts on a quality event (I've instructed with them).

Hooked and TEAM put on HPDEs with no race classes (more track time for you).

SCCA and NASA usually have race classes running at their events so, your sessions are fewer.

Obviously, you're going to have to hit T-Hill for now.
Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:47

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:56

Millah Re: NASA or SCCA
Guru Newb
12 Posts

Thanks Bill, I will look into them.
Posted on: 2010/1/19 18:34

Guru Newb
12 Posts

trackmasters looks afordable with lots of events in the area.
Posted on: 2010/1/19 19:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I don't know zip about TrackMasters, never had contact with them, so I don't have an opinion.

Hooked probably has the best instructors.

What's your experiece level, first time out?
Posted on: 2010/1/19 19:33

Guru Newb
12 Posts

Yes first time out so I would need an instructor to show me the ropes. I'm a safe driver, Thats why I want to do some track days to open the car up a bit and have some fun while being safe.
Posted on: 2010/1/19 23:09

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Millah wrote:
Yes first time out so I would need an instructor to show me the ropes. I'm a safe driver, Thats why I want to do some track days to open the car up a bit and have some fun while being safe.

You'll love it.

You can get a jumpstart on your track days with the Hooked on Driving DVD, it's $19.95. It's very good for a new driver. The classroom stuff that you get on your first day at the track goes by your head fairly quick mostly because you're thinking about getting on the track. You can watch the DVD several times and be better prepared for your first outing.

If you want the car checked out beforehand, let me know.

I'd highly recommend getting some good brakepads and changing the brake fluid before you go out.
Hawk HPS pads are street pads that work 50% better than stock and don't have any of the rough characteristics of race pads. I run them on my 92 and don't even take the car on the track.
Posted on: 2010/1/19 23:56

Guru Newb
12 Posts

Cool Bill, I may have you check it out when im ready. Thanks for the tip on the brake pads. I have some small holes in the exhaust that need to be fixed and a small (few drips) of coolant leak I need to find. Other than that it should check out fine. I want to change out the fuel injectors also to some bosch 3's. Should be ready to run in a couple months.
Posted on: 2010/1/20 4:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Have fun on the repairs. If you have any questions, let me know.

If you decide to do the brakes, get a hold of me before you change the pads. BTW, Summit has them in stock, $165. Also, for $20, you can put Speedbleaders in all 4 calipers (lets one person bleed the brakes by themselves).
Posted on: 2010/1/20 14:57

shakedown067 Re: NASA or SCCA
Senior Guru
119 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I'd highly recommend getting some good brakepads and changing the brake fluid before you go out.
Hawk HPS pads are street pads that work 50% better than stock and don't have any of the rough characteristics of race pads.

I run the Hawk HPS on my 96 that is my DD and monthly autocrosser. They performed very well last weekend.
Posted on: 2010/1/20 18:39

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

shakedown067 wrote:
I run the Hawk HPS on my 96 that is my DD and monthly autocrosser. They performed very well last weekend.

Yea, I really like them for a DD.

If you do a HPDE at you experince level, you'll find that they will fade fairly quick.
Don out for the first time so they'll work well for a binch of events.

Movin' up would be HP+ but they're not recommended for DD.
Some guys run them on the street but cold performance, rotor wear,noise,etc. is a compromise.
Posted on: 2010/1/20 20:28

Senior Guru
119 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Yea, I really like them for a DD.

If you do a HPDE at you experince level, you'll find that they will fade fairly quick.
Don out for the first time so they'll work well for a binch of events.

Movin' up would be HP+ but they're not recommended for DD.
Some guys run them on the street but cold performance, rotor wear,noise,etc. is a compromise.

I got to do a ride along with a friend in his 96 LT4 for a HPDE. He was really easy on the brakes so I was glad I rode along and payed attention to his driving style. He was still pretty quick, but not bashing the hell out of the car. Brake hard, let off, brake hard. Just give the rotors a quick breather or two in the hard corners. All this was at Sebring, so you know it can be pretty tough on brakes. I also have some brake ducts, but no spindle ducts yet to really help in cooling the rotors.

This car is an auto so I don't plan on doing more than an HPDE event or two with her...I'll wait till I get a six-speed to really tear up a road course...aka Sebring.
Posted on: 2010/1/20 21:25

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

shakedown067 wrote:
All this was at Sebring, so you know it can be pretty tough on brakes. I also have some brake ducts, but no spindle ducts yet to really help in cooling the rotors.

This car is an auto so I don't plan on doing more than an HPDE event or two with her...I'll wait till I get a six-speed to really tear up a road course...aka Sebring.

I would imagine that Sebring is fairly bumpy too.

Ducts help a little. but once you start to push a C4, you'll find that the brakes just aren't up to the job (even J55). C5 fronts help a good bit. CC has Wilwoods on his 85, much better.

The auto's fine for a roadcourse (you don't use the engine to slow the car with a 6 speed anyway). The only problem is for very new drivers that keep it in drive (which I require as an instructor) is coming out of the corners in 2ond and getting into the throttle too hard which usually downshifts and upsets the car some. Not a problem for the experienced guys. I also teach the experienced guys to blip the thottle on manual downshifts, works supprisingly well.
Posted on: 2010/1/20 23:07

Senior Guru
119 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

I would imagine that Sebring is fairly bumpy too.

Ducts help a little. but once you start to push a C4, you'll find that the brakes just aren't up to the job (even J55). C5 fronts help a good bit. CC has Wilwoods on his 85, much better.

The auto's fine for a roadcourse (you don't use the engine to slow the car with a 6 speed anyway). The only problem is for very new drivers that keep it in drive (which I require as an instructor) is coming out of the corners in 2ond and getting into the throttle too hard which usually downshifts and upsets the car some. Not a problem for the experienced guys. I also teach the experienced guys to blip the thottle on manual downshifts, works supprisingly well.

Oh yeah, Sebring is VERY bumpy. It's just a great course, with great history. I've wondering about downshifting with the auto on a road course. I would think you'd really roast the fluid? I'm pretty good with not just MASHING the gas coming out of a corner. I'm all about good throttle control...or at least continuing to learn to control it. But I can hang the rear out with out feeling out of control. Just gets the heart rate up a few extra notches. Wish I could get you as an instructor...you sound like you'd not only be good, but fun.

Yeah, still not a big fan of my J55's, but I think they'll do me for now. A C5 brake upgrade is certainly in the future though. I figure the ducts are to just help the rotors last a bit longer...not crack quite so quick. I figured the pads are still going to go quickly. Gotta look up that hooked on driving DVD. I'm sure I could burn up my DVD player watching it...over...and over...and over. Thanks for all the great info....
Posted on: 2010/1/21 2:41

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

shakedown067 wrote:
Oh yeah, Sebring is VERY bumpy. It's just a great course, with great history. I've wondering about downshifting with the auto on a road course. I would think you'd really roast the fluid? I'm pretty good with not just MASHING the gas coming out of a corner. I'm all about good throttle control...or at least continuing to learn to control it. But I can hang the rear out with out feeling out of control. Just gets the heart rate up a few extra notches. Wish I could get you as an instructor...you sound like you'd not only be good, but fun.

Yeah, still not a big fan of my J55's, but I think they'll do me for now. A C5 brake upgrade is certainly in the future though. I figure the ducts are to just help the rotors last a bit longer...not crack quite so quick. I figured the pads are still going to go quickly. Gotta look up that hooked on driving DVD. I'm sure I could burn up my DVD player watching it...over...and over...and over. Thanks for all the great info....

My students tell me I'm a good instructor ,
I think I do more than many instructors like insisting that the guys take tire pressures as soon as we stop, doing a 10 minute debrief with them writing on a track map and using an intercom in the car. It does help.

Downshifting the auto won't build much heat, it needs to be done at the right time, just before turnin, right before you plan to let off the brake. The blip does relieve a bit of strain on everything and keeps the chassis settled.
It's easy to practice on the street like a 3-2 at around 40mph. When you can barely feel it in the chasis or deivetrain, you have it right.

Yea, the hooked DVD is good and inexpensive. I've raced with a some of the instructors on the vid.
Posted on: 2010/1/21 3:30

Senior Guru
119 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
My students tell me I'm a good instructor ,
I think I do more than many instructors like insisting that the guys take tire pressures as soon as we stop, doing a 10 minute debrief with them writing on a track map and using an intercom in the car. It does help.

Downshifting the auto won't build much heat, it needs to be done at the right time, just before turnin, right before you plan to let off the brake. The blip does relieve a bit of strain on everything and keeps the chassis settled.
It's easy to practice on the street like a 3-2 at around 40mph. When you can barely feel it in the chasis or deivetrain, you have it right.

Yea, the hooked DVD is good and inexpensive. I've raced with a some of the instructors on the vid.

Wow, I really like the virtual heel toe technique. I'll certainly have to give it a try. Just ordered up the Hooked DVD. Can't wait. Wow, I'm getting WAY too excited about doing an HPDE event. I'm sure my life insurance guy and my wife would be thrilled. :P Say, do you recommend a hans type devise? My helmet has provisions for one. Or is that over kill until you really build up speed and/or running door to door? I'm sure my wife would like for me to be as safe as possible. Is there one that you'd recommend that's not as crazy expensive as the Hans?
Posted on: 2010/1/21 14:18

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Nothing, repeat NOTHING, is more important than being safe at the track. That being said well run HPDEs are very safe, as safe as an AutoX. Yes, you could crash and get hurt in either but that probability is very low (especially compared to driving on the street ).

I don't like being on the track without a HANS but 99% of the cars I instruct in aren't equiped for one.
You need a 5-6 point harness (with rollbar or harnessbar) and a seat with the houlder harness holes to use one. Stock seats don't cut it because the shoulder harness can slip off during impact. This is due to the seats being too wide at the top.
The only other HANS like device is the DefNder which costs about the same $549. But the $75 adder for HANS sliding tether system is worth the bucks. I'd personally like the HANS better.
I have no experience with the strap systems but would think they're "better than nothing".
Do you have the harness/bar/seat?

I've never seen anyone get even the slightest injury at an HPDE. Yea, things can happen but more people get hurt snow sking.
Posted on: 2010/1/21 16:25

Senior Guru
119 Posts

I have a crossbar behind my seat that's JUST low enough I think to mount the harness to. I've yet to get a pair of racing buckets, but it's on my list. My problem is I still drive my car daily, so trying to find fixed back seats that can use both 5/6 point harnesses and stock belts is very difficult. And like you said, right now I'm more worried about driving on the street. Didn't even think that without the 5-point the hans is worthless, but the stock belts give way to slow down the impact, not to mention the big punch in the face from the airbags. If I am able to start doing more HPDE's I'll make sure I can afford the Hans when I get seats and a 5/6 point harness.
Posted on: 2010/1/21 17:03

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

shakedown067 wrote:
I have a crossbar behind my seat that's JUST low enough I think to mount the harness to.

Here's the mfg.'s typical spec.
And note that the spec (SCCA) that I tech to for mounting the shoulder harness to the bar is 4 - 6 inches measured at the centerline of each belt.

Attach file:

gif  Harness_big_up6pt.gif (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/1/21 17:20

Guru Newb
12 Posts

hey Bill what kind of helmet will I need when I start? Will my DOT motorcycle full face helmets work?
Posted on: 2010/1/22 20:33

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

It might Don. Bike helmits always say DOT. Check inside the helmit for a sticker, should say M95 or newer. The SCCA spec for PDX and probably AutoX is M95.
You don't need an upgrade unless you race Time Trials which is for race preped cars and requires a SA2005.
SA is special application, M is Motorcycle.

Non-SCCA events may have different requirements but they're usually pretty loose, M95.

The only other requirement is a long sleeve shirt.
Posted on: 2010/1/22 21:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.