Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
240 user(s) are online (213 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CSS996 I've got a bomb to drop...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Looks a little something like this:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

So, yeah....

It's been really getting to me that I don't ever drive my Vette. Just not practical with having to haul two kids around almost every time I need a vehicle. And if I don't have kids with me, I do have camera gear.

So the Vette was useless. I traded the Vette and the Lincoln LS I just bought for the Mustang. I've got my flame suit on, so do your worst.

The car is a 2006 GT with the premium package. It has some interior upgrades like aluminum trim, seat air bags and such. The wheels are an optional 18" factory set, and have a beautiful set of Pirelli P-Zero tires on them. And what lovely, sticky tires they are. I doubt I would be able to replace them. I'll have to find something cheaper when they are shot.

Overall, the car isn't as quick as the Vette, but it is so much easier for me to drive. Especially getting in and out. Plus, since it has a back seat and a decent trunk, I can use it for everything I do.

No mods that I know of. But I will do some bolt-ons as funds materialize. Lots of supercharger options out there. Maybe someday.

It makes great noises at idle and off the line, but gets quiet and smooth on the highway. In some ways I do wish it was a manual, but as important as that was on the Vette, I honestly don't really miss shifting when I drive this car.

I think Ford did a great job of creating a nostalgic feeling in this car. I feel like Steve McQueen every time I get behind the wheel.

Oddly enough, I actually went out in search of an Infinity G35 Coupe, but did not fit. Headroom....

I drove this car, and the rest was history.

As for me hanging out here, I have asked Andy to "un-moderator" me. I wasn't much help anyway. I won't disappear any more than I already had. You guys are as much my friends as anyone ever was. And I sure do appreciate all your help and insight over the few years I had my Ruby.

Anyone know of a good Mustang site? I think I already found the one I will roost at, temporarily. But if anyone has a suggestion of where I should go (SILENCE MATT! ;) )I will go check it out.

Thanks for everything guys and gals.

This isn't goodbye, but...

Chris
Posted on: 2010/1/27 20:43

BillH Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

It dosen't matter a bit what we think.
Enjoy it.
Posted on: 2010/1/27 20:51

tjpreul Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

They are bringing the 5.0 back next year.
Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:06

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

MK 82 Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Hey, I own a Ford too. They make a great pickup.
Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:12

1Fast04Vert Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Maybe I am odd (my wife is sure I am), but I think you got a great looking car. The styling and exhaust note of the GT is better than any other of the 'new muscle cars', except the Corvette of course. I really like your color choice and the stripes.
Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:30

Durango_Boy Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I'm liking the changes they made to the new Mustang. I like them a lot, and the 5.0L next year will be a cool car to see, and maybe drive.
Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:30

CentralCoaster Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Welcome to the ordinary. :tongue:
Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:39

pianoguy Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

We'll still talk to ya, Chris ;-)

I like that body style, maybe even better than the new one - the proportions are just right. We rented an '07 convertible when we went to Hawaii, and it was a fun car. Enjoy it, man!!
Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:47

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Olcrusty Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Guru Newb
Virginia
14 Posts

Mustangs, breakfast of, burp!, champions. But still nice cars. Congratulations.
Olcrusty said that
Posted on: 2010/1/27 22:26

DaleD Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

It's a great car. Obviously you like it, and that's what matters. Have fun with it.
Posted on: 2010/1/27 23:02

Ultraman Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14736 Posts

I have been tempted..... but I grew up when you were either Ford or Mopar or Chevy. I was always Chevy guy. I traded an 88 coupe on a Choo Choo van to haul the family around in and was vetteless for 15 years. You gotta do what ya gotta do. It looks nice!
Posted on: 2010/1/28 0:03

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

biggrizzly Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Chris,

Its a beautiful car and you should be happy to cruising around in it. I really like the style of the newer Mustangs and yours looks great.

I have also thought about buying something other than the Vette, but just can't seem to do it since I'm so deeply ingrained in the Corvette community in my area and have committed myself to the car and the Chevrolet marque. I know; sounds goofy.
Posted on: 2010/1/28 0:19

bobges Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

Nice looking car, good luck with it.I have vette in my blood. Be careful don't cut yourself,. There are a lot of nice looking cars out there
Posted on: 2010/1/28 0:55

cuisinartvette Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Nice, I love pony cars, the interior on those are just right, simple and functional. Enjoy!
Posted on: 2010/1/28 1:14

Touringmike Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Nothing wrong with Mustangs.

If I was younger, I wouldn't mind having one.

My daughter's fiance has a supercharged Cobra, something over 425 RWHP, with minor mods and tuning- engine while it was still under warranty. That car is mean. There's a utube video out there with the car on a dyno. I'll find it and shoot you a link.

Oh, BTW, enjoy it. There's always time for Corvettes when the family thing subsides. (At least that's my excuse, and I'm sticking by it)
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/Touringmike/2009Aug/100_1686.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/1/28 2:23

NC Kid Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Looks Kewl. ;)
Posted on: 2010/1/28 2:35

JrRifleCoach Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Lots of kids in the neighborhood have those too!

A few old guys drive around trying to look cool.
They must be having penial fantasy's.

Oh sorry, that what they say about Corvette owners
Posted on: 2010/1/28 2:36

Curtis1974 Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Chris,

Glad to see you got something more pratical and also still looks good. I still owe you a beer for the Corvette fob if you ever make it through Columbia. Don't worry, you're still in the Corvette brotherhood!
Posted on: 2010/1/28 2:45

Matatk Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

Anyone know of a good Mustang site? I think I already found the one I will roost at, temporarily. But if anyone has a suggestion of where I should go (SILENCE MATT! ;) )I will go check it out.

Chris

So you traded in your Chevy and Lincoln, and bought a Ford.....all at the Acura dealer????? Hahaha.

JK. I know you were having some issues with the LS and the ruby was being neglected. I have always loved mustangs. And mustangs have always had a good platform for going fast (in a straight line).

Just don't be a stranger! You're still welcome around here even though you've crossed over to the dark side

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/28 2:58

TommyT-Bone Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

If it does what you want then you got what you need. Looks like you'll need to start picking up a few things, like floor mats. Guess you'll be spending a little more time in the Mustang forums. Good luck and best wishes Chris. Here's a mustang of a different color.

Attach file:

jpg  Uniman.jpg (197.77 KB)
852_4b61091fa198a.jpg 499X399 px
Posted on: 2010/1/28 3:48

Epimax Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Very Nice Chris!!!
Posted on: 2010/1/28 10:26

Trae1976 Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

I'll only make fun of you if you do something like this.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/1/28 13:56

383tpimachine Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

no biggy man. a cowl hood on s197 looks sick
and they love nitrous and boost
Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:27

Sweet90 Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Well you can finally get rid of your mullet now.
Jim
Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:08

CSS996 Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Thanks guys. Well, most of you. :tongue:

No, the Mustang is nothing special. Which makes it much easier for me to make it my own. I was always a little afraid to mess with the Vette. Not because it was all that valuable. But I actually was fortunate enough to buy a nicer Vette than I though I was going to come home with. To me the Vette WAS special. I almost felt like I didn't deserve it. Almost...

I maybe should have bought a different one. Anything but a Ruby or a GS and I may have felt a little better about molesting it.

I really was pretty satisfied with the Vette in stock form, minus the wheels and tires.

Good eye, Tommmy. Yes, floor mats are one of my first purchases. Even if I have to go with cheap ones to start. Snowed here last night, and the carpet got a little messy taking my kids to school. Shit.

Coach, I think almost any two door car with a V8 is going to get comments like yours. (Mid-life crisis, gold chains, penis envy, etc) Not just Vettes and Mustangs. Anyway, now we have two things to disagree on. Computers and cars.

As for mullets, I can't imagine a Mustang is any less worthy than a C4 Vette.

Tire chains on the front of a Mustang... Wow, really? And I thought Corvette owners were dumb!

I've rambled on before about wanting a muscle-type car that was pretty basic. Coming from the Vette and the Lincoln, this car is pretty darn basic. On the one hand I love that about the Mustang. On the other hand, I need to get used to the lack of features.

The Mustang does have traction control,keyless entry, PS, PB, PW, CC. It lacks climate control, heated seats, mirror compass, steering wheel audio controls, power adjustable foot pedals, power adjustable tilt and telescope wheel and such.

Things I never really NEEDED, but thought it was cool to have in the Lincoln. I wouldn't really want them on this car. The simpler the better. I'd roll up my own windows without a complaint if the car was so equipped.

I dunno how many of you have ridden sport bikes and also dirt bikes, but driving the Vette and the Mustang back-to-back is similar to trading between those two bikes.

The Vette sort of has a committed body position that is really great once you get all tucked in. And it reasonably comfortable for awhile. I always felt like a race car driver in the cockpit.

That said, there is no way for a 6'4" fat dude to look cool on a crotch rocket, and no way to gracefully exit a C4.

The Mustang has a more upright feel, and for me, it feels like I have a better command of the car. Easier to toss around. I feel like I can see better out of the car. I feel like a cross-country trip would be do-able. Not so much in the Vette.

The Vette was so low to the ground that I always felt particularly vulnerable to all the lifted pickups around here. Not as bad with the Mustang.

The Vette was a high-effort car for me to drive. Heavy steering and the wide tires had the car tracking in different directions on grooved pavement. Mid corner bumps were nervous. But the whole experience was great fun, if you were mentally prepared for it, like getting on a fast motorcycle. You don't want to pilot either one if you are angry.

The Mustang steering is light (maybe too light) but precise. The Pirelli's are impeccable. I love them. They may be one of the coolest things about the car. Mid corner bumps aren't completely without drama. The rear is not independent suspension. But it's much more composed than the Vette. However, the cars aren't build for the exact same purpose, so I can't really fault the Vette. Especially since it is thirteen years older than the Mustang.

I would be more willing to let someone drive the Mustang. The Vette was complicated. Oh, the parking brake, well, you need to....

Reverse? Its like this...

Can't get the hood to close right? Lemme do it.

You want to take off the top? Let's not and say we did.

Stupid people can use the Mustang with no issues. So I should be in great shape!

With only my Vette and my Mustang to compare, I have to say that if both cars were cleaned up and running well, I don't know that you would think the Vette was that much older of a car than the Mustang. IMO the Vette was ahead of it's time, and the Mustang is looking back.

If garage space and money were no object, I would have never sold the Vette, even if I wasn't using it. It was a great car that never gave me any problems, other than a dead battery. But insurance, registration and garage space are all issues for me right now. So I'm a one car, car guy for now.

I will look at Vettes again in another 5-6 years, after my older son learns to drive and doesn't want to hang around with his old man anymore. Hopefully a C6Z will be somewhat affordable by then. Or maybe it will be time to try a Porshe, finally.

I dunno. I'm a car guy. Not a Vette guy or a Mustang guy. I get bored with whatever I'm driving after not too long. But this time I have a car payment. Not a big one, but it's there... Been many years since I had a car payment for what I was driving. My wife is a different story.

As Bill said, the important thing is that I'm happy with it. And I am. I will miss the Vette though. That is for sure.
Posted on: 2010/1/28 17:30

88BlackZ51 Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Senior Guru
481 Posts

wow. what did u end up getting for the Vette on trade?

i will miss the pics of your car with the Z06 rims.

take care of yourself!
Posted on: 2010/1/28 17:52

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Gave me $6,000 for the ruby. Had a little under 85,000 miles on it, and some minor body damage. But would have been probably $500-600 in body work, plus a full paint job to make it perfect.

Mechanically it was 100%.

Seats and radio didn't work. But I don't think they even checked that stuff.

I paid $9,300 for it three years ago. Another $800 or so for the wheels. So I lost my shorts a little. But I did enjoy the car when I was able to use it. So I got my money's worth out of it, in a matter of speaking.

I'm not going to talk about how much I lost on the Lincoln...

Paid cash for both of those cars, so it was just fun money anyway. I don't drink, smoke, snort or travel. Cars are my thing. So it's all good.
Posted on: 2010/1/28 18:08

88BlackZ51 Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Gave me $6,000 for the ruby. Had a little under 85,000 miles on it, and some minor body damage. But would have been probably $500-600 in body work, plus a full paint job to make it perfect.

Mechanically it was 100%.

Seats and radio didn't work. But I don't think they even checked that stuff.

I paid $9,300 for it three years ago. Another $800 or so for the wheels. So I lost my shorts a little. But I did enjoy the car when I was able to use it. So I got my money's worth out of it, in a matter of speaking.

I'm not going to talk about how much I lost on the Lincoln...

Paid cash for both of those cars, so it was just fun money anyway. I don't drink, smoke, snort or travel. Cars are my thing. So it's all good.

gotcha. yeah i dont drink or smoke either. guys on my shift say i cant be trusted because of that.

check back in the summer. i hope to have my dyno #'s, and track times posted.

i drove a lightly modded 06 GT (5 spd) in september before the snow came. it had full exhaust, cai, and a tune. it made 315rwhp. it had a very nice sound, but you could tell it was a tad on the heavy side. it certainly was peppy, but if you get it going over 100 mph it really starts to slow for some reason. (not that i would do that).

how did it feel. going from a corvette to a mustang? especially if cars are your thing!

$6000 isnt bad for the ruby i suppose.
Posted on: 2010/1/28 18:14

BrianCunningham Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Nice cars

I still remember that rental car I had

Photobucket
Posted on: 2010/1/28 19:59

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I have a thing for the Eleanor look.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 20:55

BillH Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I have a thing for the Eleanor look.

IsZat why your head's never seen in all your pictures?
Posted on: 2010/1/28 21:05

teebee Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12361 Posts

I had a feeling that something was going on Chris. You hadn't been on for a while. It's no shame to do what you did, the Corvette just was not practical. I had to face the same issue 30 some odd years ago. I had a 64 coupe, got married and was working in the oil fields. The vette was my only car...along came #1 kid....the Vette had to go, like it or not, I knew it was the thing to do. 29 years later I bought the 94, after marrying off the last and youngest daughter.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 0:32

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Ya know, there is a company that does Eleanor conversions in Colorado Springs. Might go see them. Maybe they could use a free long format video production in trade for some work on my car...

I was away for a lot of reasons, but I've been a little bummed out about not using the Vette for awhile. Sucks to want something for over 20 years, finally get it, and realize you can't really enjoy it.

I doubt that was my last Vette.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 1:13

bogus Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That trade in stings, but with the mileage and body damage, and looking at an entire paint job, not bad.

You have been de-modded

Now, don't be a stranger!!!
Posted on: 2010/1/29 4:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

A little video barter for car goodies sounds like a plan! Hopefully the 'Stang tax isn't as high as the 'Vette tax ;-)

Your car's twin drove by on my way out of the grocery store tonight - it sounded sweet and made me itch for spring.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 4:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

itlgo2 Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Guru Newb
Missouri
288 Posts

Chris congrats on teh new ride, after all it is american, i like the color and the look of the newer stangs, that being said,

[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j9/kmoudy/joke%20cartoons/funny-vehicle-sign-smoking-a-For-1.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/1/29 6:27

SpectatorRacing Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

A couple of comments:

You should still stick around here...not only would your wit be missed on the non technical forums, but just because you don't own one anymore doesn't mean you can't still help others with what you've learned while you did! You don't lose the experience when you lose the car.

I love the new Mustangs (well...the 2005 - 2009, I don't like the 2010 rear-end). They're great cars for the money, and provide some practicality to go along with decent performance. For what I do with my cars, there is no comparison. But for driving around town and lighting up the tires once in awhile, I doubt you'll miss the 'vette much. And people don't stare at C4's much anymore, so you don't even have that.

And lastly, and this is for all of us C4 owners, if you did love your car, why did you sell it? These things aren't worth much anymore, so why not keep it and still get the mustang? Unless you buy something "better" like a C5, or you live where you honestly can't have an extra car lying around, why not have both?

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was trading in my 1992 SHO on a Jeep back in 1996. I got $2300 for the trade in. The car was probably worth $4500 had $10k in performance parts in it. The $2300 I got was nothing in the grand scheme of things. I loved that car, I should have kept it and still driven it for many happy years rather than taking a bath on the value to save a few bucks a month on the Jeep.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 16:57

vetteblondie Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4646 Posts

As it's already been said, it's YOUR car and if it makes YOU happy, it's not any concern what someone else thinks.
I'm not a Ford fan, but it's very nice looking and I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Even though you have children to tend to, it's a blessing to be able to find a machine that still taps into your 'sporty' side and it be practical as well. Good choice.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 18:50

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Curtis1974 Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

R.I.P. Ruby!
Posted on: 2010/1/29 18:55

SpectatorRacing Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
...but it's very nice looking and I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

That's my philosophy with the girls I date...
Posted on: 2010/1/29 19:31

RIISITAS Re: I've got a bomb to drop...
Guru Newb
Las Vegas
46 Posts

Nice Mustang! I own several Mustangs myself along with the Corvette. You're right... They are very easy to drive and they're a great choice when the Vette isn't the primary/best selection. Enjoy your Mustang!
Posted on: 2010/1/31 17:44

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Thanks again.

I did not keep the Vette because I wanted to keep my payment as low as possible on the Mustang, and one of my big issues was not being able to park both of my vehicles in the garage. I could not bear to see Ruby parked outside every night.

$6,000 isn't much but it would raise my payment by 50%.

I'm sure it will make someone very happy. I had a shoot at a car dealership just up the road from where I traded my cars in. They had Ruby front and center, all cleaned up. Balloons on the mirror... Damn.

Already had a new windshield put on the Mustang. The one that was on there had a few chips, and some pits. Figured a fresh one would be nice.

Looking at lots of ragin' bling billet for the interior now. Then an iPod connector for the stereo. After that I will stop for awhile.

Cold air intake is probably next. They are asking a lot for a very simple piece though.
Posted on: 2010/2/1 16:47

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

You're gonna have to change your sig, Chris ;-)
Posted on: 2010/2/1 22:06

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I've tried a few times. I get a crazy message about non-matching passwords.

Crazy huh? Maybe I need to ask a moderator for help.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 3:05

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Hey Andy ............. What were you saying about needing someone for MustangGuru.com ?
Posted on: 2010/2/2 3:50

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I went in to see if I could edit Chris but I got scared away. If I shut down the Guru I'd never get it back. I'll leave it for the pro's.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 3:56

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Figured it out.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 5:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.