Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
230 user(s) are online (190 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Collector Edition
RPO Z15.

1996 only.

Silver with black, red or grey interior.

LT1/A4 or LT4/ZF6....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

QuitHaten 2001 Z06 Computer
Guru Newb
Nashville, Tn
16 Posts

I have a 2001 Z06. On thursday 02.04.2010 while driving, the car just shut off. I had it towed to a shop and it was discovered that my computer shorted out. The mechanic said that my computer was wet. I know the computer is in a bad location (In the passenger side front fenderwell behind the wheel) but has anybody else had trouble with their computer going out?

Thanks
Brian.
Posted on: 2010/2/7 4:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 2001 Z06 Computer
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I cannot say I have ever heard of that happening.

The ECU on my 92 is under the hood, above the battery on the drivers side.

Unless a seal has failed... now, if you have found a bug, it could just have taken a few years to reveal itself.

Or, you have a one off problem, cause if it was a real problem, I would have expected to hear about it for 1997-2000 editions by now, ya know?

Sorry it fried... at least you can get a new PCM for a reasonable price.
Posted on: 2010/2/7 5:14

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

QuitHaten Re: 2001 Z06 Computer
Guru Newb
Nashville, Tn
16 Posts

I had a 1996 Vette Collector Edition with an LT4. I liked where the computer is in that vette.

Im not sure what the problem is/was with my newer vette. The mechanic shop said they used some sealer to seal up the area that houses the computer. The computer was $205.00 & Labor was $197.55. Not to bad but I wasnt wanting to spend the money on a new computer!!! A new upgrade wouldnt have been bad though!!!
Posted on: 2010/2/7 5:20

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, well... the ECU for my 92 is right now unobtainium...
Posted on: 2010/2/7 8:11

volzfan Re: 2001 Z06 Computer
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

QuitHaten wrote:
I have a 2001 Z06. On thursday 02.04.2010 while driving, the car just shut off. I had it towed to a shop and it was discovered that my computer shorted out. The mechanic said that my computer was wet. I know the computer is in a bad location (In the passenger side front fenderwell behind the wheel) but has anybody else had trouble with their computer going out?

Thanks
Brian.

Well, I don't really have experience with actual problems related to this, but I will tell you what little I know. A good friend of mine has two C5s, a '98 couple and a '01 Z06. When I started looking for a C5, I asked about issues that may come up, and one of the things he told me about was your problem. He suggested that I replace the battery with an Optima (to prevent ever having any leakage) immediately after buying the car. The ECU on these cars is mounted in the well directly BELOW the battery (some real forward thinking there, huh?). This friend is an ASE certified tech, and has seen/heard of too many horror stories related to this, so I took his advice. Don't know if this is what happened to you or not, but I wanted to at least relay what little I know.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Posted on: 2010/2/7 14:43

QuitHaten Re: 2001 Z06 Computer
Guru Newb
Nashville, Tn
16 Posts

I have had a Red Top Optima in the car since the day I bought the car. I think it was wet with rain water. The repair shop that I took it to put some sealer in the areas that water could leak into and get the computer wet.

Thank you for the info.

Brian.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 7:45

KandBCorvette Re: 2001 Z06 Computer
Gold Sponsor Vendor
20 Posts

We can repair & factory program ANY Corvette ECM/PCM
Posted on: 2011/5/10 21:04

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ken,

Any, huh? I might take you up on that. I sent my 92 ECU off to SIA in Illinois last fall, they said it was ok, I said they are full of shit.

They sent it back and I plug it in... C41, no comm from CCM to ECM.

I resent it. They said it was ok, Tech II was supposedly satisfied. In the mean time, I borrowed one from a fellow member and his worked A-OK. I also bought one from eBay, it has been working A-OK. They resent it and it STILL threw a C41.

This tells me both UARTS are toast.

Can you actually make board level repairs? I am sorry, but I don't want to go wasting time and money on this again and once I get a diag back that I can trust and the ECM works, I will the bitch at SIA about getting my original $200.00 back.
Posted on: 2011/5/10 21:15

KandBCorvette Re: 2001 Z06 Computer
Gold Sponsor Vendor
20 Posts

We can repair it and make "board level" repairs, if they haven't damaged it. We are the ONLY company that has access to GM test equipment to perform the 40 tests needed by the 9278 ECM. We can also factory reprogram any GM computer, period.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 14:14

biggrizzly Re: 2001 Z06 Computer
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Brian... Yes I have had a few members with C5s have the car just shut down on them. Matter of fact it happened to one of my friends last year when we were getting ready to leave for an event. He had to have the car towed back to the dealership. However, I don't believe it was water related. I'll have to send him and email and ask him what it was. I have also heard the techs talk about this dead issue before and it is not entirely uncommon on the C5. I also don't think it is an every day occurrence.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 16:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.