Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
212 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NHMS
New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway from now on. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus C4 Audio FAQ
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

C4 Audio FAQ

This is a very hot topic for Corvettes these days. Many C4s are not worth the money to keep 100% OEM original, as such, the desire to upgrade the audio is very real. This is helped along by the shocking reality that the OEM audio was not all that durable nor does it sound very good.

This FAQ will help define some of the issues with modifying the C4 audio systems.

A simple rule: Only post issues related to the FAQ here. If you have a question, please, make a new thread. I will be monitoring this thread and will remove posts after they have been addressed, or, if they violate this simple rule.

The Technical Details:

There are two distinct generations of the Corvette audio system. Gen 1 is from 1984 to 1989, and Gen 2 is from 1990 to 1996.

From those generations, there are two distinct versions, the Delco and the Bose.

We will discuss the Bose systems first. In general, all Bose systems use a speaker module, with an amp and a driver (or drivers). The amps are all one (1) ohm stable. One ohm allows for a very small amp to provide decent power.

Gen 1 and Gen 2 Bose are not compatible with each other. Period. The Gen 1 is somewhat compatible with later GM head units, using an adaptor. The Gen 2 system is unique to the Corvette.

Gen 1 - 1984 thru 1989:

The Gen 1 Bose system consists of a 1.5 DIN head unit and four speaker modules. Each speaker module has a single 4" driver and a 50 watt amp.

The modules are tuned to enhance sound response beyond the natural ability of the speaker driver.

All years are compatible.

Gen 2 - 1990 thru 1996:

The Gen 2 Bose system is quite unique. Not only do we have the four speaker modules, we have a two piece head unit! The head unit (double DIN) is actually a dummy controller, the brains for the system is the reciever module.

The receiver module is located either in the dash (behind the glovebox) or in the left rear storage bin (behind driverseat). This varies from year to year, so please check the storage bin first. This also varies for coupe to roadster. I will update this FAQ as we totally isolate locations.

The Gen 2 speaker modules are different, too. The fronts use two drivers for each speaker, a 1.5" tweeter and a 4" midrange. The rears use a single 6" speaker. Thanks to porting, the rear 6" acts almost like a subwoofer.

The Bose head units are interchangeable, not only amongst Bose systems, but with the Delco system, too.

Base Delco

The base Delco systems are not that bad, and much easier to upgrade.

Gen 1

The headunit is a single piece, and drives conventional speakers.

Gen 2

The architecture is still the same - dummy head unit, receiver and speakers - it's just that the speakers are not powered by their own amp, but by the receiver module.

The front speakers are a pair of 5x7s and the rears are 6x9s.

<This is a living document, I have much more to add and will get on it later today>
Posted on: 2007/10/21 0:06
Edited by CentralCoaster on 2008/3/29 18:42:39
Edited by CentralCoaster on 2008/3/29 18:43:53
Edited by CentralCoaster on 2008/3/29 18:44:15
Edited by CentralCoaster on 2008/3/29 18:44:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

vis_croceus "Gen 2" CDM frequency response Bose vs. non-Bose
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

(from an old post of mine on another forum...)

I finally got around to putting a scope on these things.

Based on what I've read here about using the Bose CDM output into aftermarket amps, as well as the difference I can hear between the two, I was expecting to see some ugly equalization in the Bose CDM.

This is what I found

Resized Image
Resized Image

Resized Image
Resized Image

('MaxV' is at the highest voume setting that doesn't clip. For Bose this is at 100% volume. For non-Bose at about 75%. 'LowV' is a lower volume setting, around 50% of MaxV. All are with tone controls at neutral.)

So, based on frequency response, the Bose is a much better signal source.

However, I also found that the signal out of my non-Bose CDM is perfectly clean, while the signal from my Bose CDM is an ugly mofo. I see both periodic amplitude variance (with low frequency input tones it looks like an AM signal) and also a settling of the amplitude over time.

Based on this, I have to assume that my Bose CDM is bad, but on the other hand, since people have reported since the beginning of time that the signal out of the Bose CDM is crap, and since it clearly isn't the frequency response, maybe what I'm seeing is the problem.

If anybody has a Bose CDM they don't need I'd be interested in checking another one to see if it performs the same as mine.

There are some interesting control quirks with the Bose CDM. When you turn the bass control up, it cuts the mid frequencies. With the knob up all the way it boosts 30Hz by 30% and cuts 1kHz by 30%. The non-Bose behaves in a normal fashion, just boosting low frequencies.

The other quirk is with the fader. With the Bose CDM, fading 100% to one direction only reduces the opposing volume about 50% (a WAG from listening - didn't actually measure this). With the non-Bose CDM you get the more normal behavior of turning off one set of speakers when the control is in an extreme position.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 21:02

vis_croceus Speaker fitment
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

8-9" sub(s) in stock rear speaker locations.

Known to fit:
ED 9kv.2

Woofers in stock frame rail location on late C4:

6.0-6.5" woofers will fit in the stock frame rail location under the stock grille on the late C4. Exact fitment depends on both diameter and depth. You can go deeper if you're willing to top-mount through the stock grilles instead of fitting under them.

Known to fit:
Inifinity 6010CS
Polk db6750

10-12" Sub(s) in the rear storage compartments:

(no personal experience here)
Posted on: 2007/12/31 21:13

vis_croceus Bose upgrade
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Contrary to the conventional wisdom, the factory HU/CDM provides a good signal source for aftermarket amps and speakers.

With the appropriate amp, you can use either the Bose or non-Bose CDM as a source for an aftermarket amp (with the Bose HU).

To use a Bose CDM you need an amp that can handle low-level inputs (off the top of my head I think it was around 0.6V) and to use a non-Bose CDM you need an amp that can handle speaker-level inputs.

I chose to go with a non-Bose CDM because the HU controls respond in a more normal/linear manner with this CDM.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 21:21

Klaus RE:C4 Audio FAQ
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

There are a couple of Metra pre-made wiring harnesses that might work, depending on your install.

Metra 70-1856

Metra 70-1857

You would still need to do the resistor mod at the head unit connector.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 21:38

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

Klaus RE:C4 Audio FAQ
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

Metra makes a single/double din installation kit for 1990-1996 Corvettes.

Metra 99-3051
Posted on: 2007/12/31 21:47

LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

bogus RE:C4 Audio FAQ
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Great stuff! I will go over it and update accordingly!
Posted on: 2008/1/5 2:31

daddue11 RE:C4 Audio FAQ
Senior Guru
Mountain View, Southern Mo.,
131 Posts

Resized Image
Resized Image

This is the audio project that I'm finishing up on now.
I installed the Sony xsplode stereo and attached to it is a SonyXplod XM-554zr 4/3 channel amp and installed it inside the inclosure.
I cut and fabbed the speaker box to fit the back compartment.
I still have to install the 6x9s either somewhere in front or at the front bottom of the inclosure,the magnets are to deep for the back speaker places,they are also Xplod 250 watts with 25 oz magnets.
I might have to exclude them.
The bass in it already messages the back of your body when it thumps and the mids and highs are crisp also.
Please feel free to suggest where to place the 6x9s in the front compartment,and my body cavities don't count.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 4:52

ninetyfivevette RE:C4 Audio FAQ
Guru Newb
Rhode Island
81 Posts

I'll add that JL 8W3's fit great in the rear speaker location.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/2/21 17:41

Randyj75 Re: C4 Audio FAQ
Guru Newb
MD
129 Posts

Andy,
The receiver module is located in the dash on the '90,'91, and '92. It was moved to the rear cubby when the pass side air bag was introduced.

Randy
Posted on: 2008/5/14 2:44

bogus Re: C4 Audio FAQ
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

And it moved back... IIRC, the module moved also depending on coupe/vert.

You are right, tho... it technically could be anywhere...
Posted on: 2008/5/14 5:06

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

-=Jeff=- Re: Bose upgrade
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Quote:

vis_croceus wrote:
Contrary to the conventional wisdom, the factory HU/CDM provides a good signal source for aftermarket amps and speakers.

With the appropriate amp, you can use either the Bose or non-Bose CDM as a source for an aftermarket amp (with the Bose HU).

To use a Bose CDM you need an amp that can handle low-level inputs (off the top of my head I think it was around 0.6V) and to use a non-Bose CDM you need an amp that can handle speaker-level inputs.

I chose to go with a non-Bose CDM because the HU controls respond in a more normal/linear manner with this CDM.

Curious, if you used the Bose CDM for the AMP, the low level inputs are the same as the RCA correct?

If so, how would you interface the RCAs to the Bose CDM?

I might try this.. Keeps the dash looking factory..
Posted on: 2008/5/27 16:12
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Klaus Re: C4 Audio FAQ
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

I have a theory about the need for the resistor mod on later model C4s to prevent SYS codes due to the dimmer circuits becoming open when an aftermarket stereo is installed.

I have owned 2 1996 models. One was a base model with the manual A/C. When I replaced the stereo with an aftermarket stereo the flashing SYS warning started, and it took the resistor mod to fix it.

My current 1996 CE is equipped with the electronic A/C. I recently replaced the stereo with an aftermarket unit. The SYS warning is NOT happening, and I did not need the resistor mod.

Looking at the FSM wiring diagrams, the electronic A/C also uses the dimmer circuits that the head unit uses. I suspect that is the reason that I did not need the resistor mod on this car.

So, my theory is if you replace the factory stereo with an aftermarket unit in a late model C4 Corvette:

If the car is equipped with the manual A/C option, you will need the resistor mod.
If the car is equipped with the electronic A/C option, you will not need the resistor mod.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 12:57

LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

pianoguy Re: C4 Audio FAQ
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Klaus wrote:
I have a theory about the need for the resistor mod on later model C4s to prevent SYS codes due to the dimmer circuits becoming open when an aftermarket stereo is installed.

I have owned 2 1996 models. One was a base model with the manual A/C. When I replaced the stereo with an aftermarket stereo the flashing SYS warning started, and it took the resistor mod to fix it.

My current 1996 CE is equipped with the electronic A/C. I recently replaced the stereo with an aftermarket unit. The SYS warning is NOT happening, and I did not need the resistor mod.

Looking at the FSM wiring diagrams, the electronic A/C also uses the dimmer circuits that the head unit uses. I suspect that is the reason that I did not need the resistor mod on this car.

So, my theory is if you replace the factory stereo with an aftermarket unit in a late model C4 Corvette:

If the car is equipped with the manual A/C option, you will need the resistor mod.
If the car is equipped with the electronic A/C option, you will not need the resistor mod.

I'll be able to test your theory as soon as I get around to installing my system ;-)
Posted on: 2008/6/6 13:13

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: C4 Audio FAQ
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have a 92, with C68, and it did not need to resistors. Could be the relationship between C68 and C60 cars... very good point.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 14:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Fluff Re: C4 Audio FAQ
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Great info.

I think it a long shot that anyone will come across any, but as it’s an international forum and perhaps for the sake of completeness, where the OP mentions the differences in components, it might be worth adding that there are also European and Japanese (perhaps others) tuner units/specs. This being due to different frequency stepping

Don't know if thats worth adding.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 23:10

vis_croceus Re: "Gen 2" CDM frequency response Bose vs. non-Bose
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Can't edit old post, so reposting with working image links.

Quote:

vis_croceus wrote:
(from an old post of mine on another forum...)

I finally got around to putting a scope on these things.

Based on what I've read here about using the Bose CDM output into aftermarket amps, as well as the difference I can hear between the two, I was expecting to see some ugly equalization in the Bose CDM.

This is what I found

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

('MaxV' is at the highest voume setting that doesn't clip. For Bose this is at 100% volume. For non-Bose at about 75%. 'LowV' is a lower volume setting, around 50% of MaxV. All are with tone controls at neutral.)

So, based on frequency response, the Bose is a much better signal source.

However, I also found that the signal out of my non-Bose CDM is perfectly clean, while the signal from my Bose CDM is an ugly mofo. I see both periodic amplitude variance (with low frequency input tones it looks like an AM signal) and also a settling of the amplitude over time.

Based on this, I have to assume that my Bose CDM is bad, but on the other hand, since people have reported since the beginning of time that the signal out of the Bose CDM is crap, and since it clearly isn't the frequency response, maybe what I'm seeing is the problem.

If anybody has a Bose CDM they don't need I'd be interested in checking another one to see if it performs the same as mine.

There are some interesting control quirks with the Bose CDM. When you turn the bass control up, it cuts the mid frequencies. With the knob up all the way it boosts 30Hz by 30% and cuts 1kHz by 30%. The non-Bose behaves in a normal fashion, just boosting low frequencies.

The other quirk is with the fader. With the Bose CDM, fading 100% to one direction only reduces the opposing volume about 50% (a WAG from listening - didn't actually measure this). With the non-Bose CDM you get the more normal behavior of turning off one set of speakers when the control is in an extreme position.
Posted on: 2017/9/26 6:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.