Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
175 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

red_johnny BACK IN THE SHOP!
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Well this about does it. I think I am done with the C4's. My tranny is acting up again. Its been doing this in and out for awhile and we thought it was fixed when we replaced the clutch. Well now its doing some of the same stuff again, which is very hard to shift into some gears and kinda fine into others. I can only explain it like this....its like a clay bar is inside the shifting mechinism. 4th is espicially hard to get into. I bleed the clutch slave to no avail. So now its back in the shop and if it comes back that the tranny needs to be repaired or replaced I am going to get the work done and sell it. I am done. I already spent 8,500 on the vette then about 10,000 in repairs in the 2 years I have had it. I could have bought a much newer vette for that. When I hear from the shop I will make up my mind but right now I am not feeling good about it.
Posted on: 2007/11/7 22:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 RE:BACK IN THE SHOP!
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I would get turned off pretty fast if that happened to me. Hopefully it gets taken care of right this time.

If not, maybe time for another bad motor scooter!

Best of luck, fingers crossed that the Vette gets sorted!
Posted on: 2007/11/7 22:32

red_johnny RE:BACK IN THE SHOP!
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I hope so too. This is bar far the best vehicle I have ever owned. If this does cause me to sell I am going to get a beater truck and after tax return a honda cbr600rr. But hopefully it wont come to that.
Posted on: 2007/11/7 22:50

CasetheCorvetteman RE:BACK IN THE SHOP!
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

What transmission is in it Johnny?
Posted on: 2007/11/8 2:35

bogus RE:BACK IN THE SHOP!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

sounds like a 4+3.

I wonder if there is a linkage problem brewing... The 4 speed part, the Super T10, isn't that bad of a manual... no worse than anything else, really.

Your options are:

Rebuild 4+3
Replace with used 4+3
TKO 5spd conversion
ZF6spd conversion

I think the ZF is the best option... there is a lot of documentation on it... just ask CentralCoaster. He knows his stuff...
Posted on: 2007/11/8 3:00

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Throw in a servere duty 4L60 and be done with....
Posted on: 2007/11/8 3:06

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

oh, now your just being mean.
Posted on: 2007/11/8 3:12

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No mate, im being realistic....
Posted on: 2007/11/8 5:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

hm... replace the 4+3 with the singularly most unreliable A4 on the planet...
Posted on: 2007/11/8 6:56

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Now them's bloody fighting words mate, thats a lie and you know it!!!

Maybe in stock form, but in well built servere duty form, they are strong as ever.

Stock trans on a stock engine and driven daily, i NEVER had an issue with a properly serviced 4L60 yet, (that means fluid and filter at least every 12 months or 20,000klms TOPS)

My 4L60-E is built properly for high output, its not going to break, its not going to wear out prematurely, and i service it every 12 months or 20,000 klms, whichever comes first.

Any auto transmission is only as reliable as its owner, and if its not serviced and treated to new fluid at regular intervals, there is your reason for common failures.
Posted on: 2007/11/8 10:36

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I agree, fluid service is very important.

But when metal components inside the box simply shear off, that's a problem.

I have seen more then my share of 700R4s go up in smoke ( and that's what he would have to use on that car, because he doesn't have controls to run a 4L60E). The 4L60 isn't updated enough to justify the name change.

A friend here had a supposed super duty 700R4 go up in smoke last year. It was in a 1971 Chevelle with a rather mild 454 in front. His brother has a 2000 Vert, and it toasted it's 4L65E just last week.

I have read just too many horror stories of 700R4 based boxes blowing up... even good ones.

They consistantly eat up the 3/4 clutch pack... in both cases above, the car had 1st, then 2nd, then nothing. that was it.

Personally, I would love to suggest something like a 4L80E, but that's EXPENSIVE. It is, tho, the best damned auto on the planet. It's the old TH400, with an overdrive unit. The unit requires a controller... figure over $5k total. Another option is the TH400 with a gear vendor OD, but that is about the same price...

For example, and I do agree proper maintenance is very important. Chysler here in the states was having issue with their transmissions slipping at about 70k miles. The problem? Old fluid was causing the internal seals to harden. That was causing pressure loss and slippage. The fix was to rebuild the box, but it was still inherently ok... a real waste. The real fix? replace the ATF every 30k...
Posted on: 2007/11/8 15:20

toptechx6 RE:BACK IN THE SHOP!
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Case is correct that maintenance is critical for any automatic, but another part of the equation on automatic trans durability not mentioned is an auxiliary cooler, particularly with higher stall converters.

For the record Chrysler bears some responsibility for their trans failures, the design had "teething" problems similar to the weak parts in early 700R4's.

The oil change issue aggravated the situation, again Chryslers fault for specifying NO SERVICE REQUIRED under normal use.......marketing BS designed to appeal to the average consumer who despises spending money on maintenance.
Posted on: 2007/11/8 19:32

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Guys, Guys....its a richmond 6 speed. So no 4 plus 3s or nothing.
Posted on: 2007/11/8 21:51

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Thats what i thought you had Johnny.

Bogus, replacing fluid after that long a service life is asking for trouble. 30,000miles is way too long. 12 months or 12,000 miles (which is 20,000klms)

4L60 and TH700R4 are the same unit, the name indicates the type and layout of the transmission.

Most of the bigger GM cars over here have 4L60s, and the ones that get a regular service dont fail. Infact many of them go well over 300,000klms. The ones that dont get their service or that follow the GM recomended service interval are usually a problem by 120,000klms.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 0:15

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

For the Chryslers, that is what they ulitmately recommended - 30k miles. Then again, they use a synthetic fluid.

I need to change it in my Jeep, thinking about it. That has an Asian-Warner 4spd OD auto. Nice ride, actually. Shifts really nice.

Johnny - if there is a problem with that 6spd, check with Richmond ASAP, they have a good warrantee program, from what I have heard. I have also heard of some issues with those boxes failing... might be worth researching.

I know the 4L60 and 700R4 are essentially the same - the connectors changed, and I don't know what other revisions were made internally. That would take someone like Pete to address.

for the rest of the readers, the 4L60E is the electronic version.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 2:23

PeteK RE:BACK IN THE SHOP!
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
For the Chryslers, that is what they ulitmately recommended - 30k miles. Then again, they use a synthetic fluid.

I need to change it in my Jeep, thinking about it. That has an Asian-Warner 4spd OD auto. Nice ride, actually. Shifts really nice.

Johnny - if there is a problem with that 6spd, check with Richmond ASAP, they have a good warrantee program, from what I have heard. I have also heard of some issues with those boxes failing... might be worth researching.

I know the 4L60 and 700R4 are essentially the same - the connectors changed, and I don't know what other revisions were made internally. That would take someone like Pete to address.

Most think that the 4l60 is an improved version of the 700r4. This only slightly true. The 700r4 started in 1982, and was a piece of crap. The early versions did not even have a sprag, but a cheezy, weak low roller clutch arrangement. Anyhow, the 700 had a continuous amount of upgrades each and every year, up to present. Most of the improvements are able to be retrofit back to the early year units.
GM did change the name in approx 1989 to the 4l60, but there was no specifice design change that triggered the change.
In the vette, 1993 was a very transitional year. GM tried to make it share most of the same internals that the 4l60E was using. Most other gm cars were being fitted with the electronic trans for the 93 model year.
The internal changes from 1982-1993 were numerous. Many dozens, possibly hundreds of revisions. I can almost name them all
Posted on: 2007/11/9 2:58

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

Andy, Casey's recommendation may be on target for most automatics but you can relax if you Jeep does indeed have an AW4.
I worked in a dealership that sold more Jeeps and 4whl drive trucks than cars, in ten years there the only AW4 I ever saw fail was due to the owner continuing to drive it after a cooler line broke and lost all the fluid, as automatic transmissions go they are bulletproof.[B]
Posted on: 2007/11/9 9:04

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Andy, when you say the box may have failed are you reffering to the shift selector that attached to the linkages?
Posted on: 2007/11/9 11:45

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Johnny do you believe there is a chance your syncros may have failed?

Was late 80s they started calling them 4L60 here, and they called them so because they have 4 forward gears, L for longitudinal layout (T for transverse, as in the 4T60), and 60 being the relative torque capacity.

I know you blokes seem to have alot of failures with these transmissions over there, but it just makes me wonder how many of these are sitting behind a stock standard engine, being driven the way they were designed to be driven, and being serviced often enough to keep the fluid nice and fresh.

They stopped using the 4L60-E equiped Holdens for taxis over here back in the mid 90s cause the transmissions were not going the distance you could expect from a Ford, but then they were not servicing the transmissions in these taxis very often either, they ran almost 24 hrs a day, no extra cooler (the Ford Falcons had an extra transmission cooler as part of the taxi pack), and only serviced every 100,000. Asking for a failure really isnt it.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 12:44

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

Thats what the guy at the shop thinks. I really dont know what to think anymore.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 12:53

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Well to be honest with ya mate that is what i think too, cause the issue you describe seems pretty synonymous with syncro failure.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 12:58

90EXPVette RE:BACK IN THE SHOP!
Senior Guru
Martinez, Georgia
185 Posts

I can't say that I'd blame you John. You've put more into that Vette in the last two than I have in eight years. The sad part is you've probably got most of the kinks worked out, but without knowing for sure it's a tough decision.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 14:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Andy, Casey's recommendation may be on target for most automatics but you can relax if you Jeep does indeed have an AW4.
I worked in a dealership that sold more Jeeps and 4whl drive trucks than cars, in ten years there the only AW4 I ever saw fail was due to the owner continuing to drive it after a cooler line broke and lost all the fluid, as automatic transmissions go they are bulletproof.

oh, yea, the AW4 is a stout box. I hang out at www.jeepforums.com, and no one complains about it.

I am not 'concerned,' per se, I just want to do it for a maintenance baseline.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 15:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:
Andy, when you say the box may have failed are you reffering to the shift selector that attached to the linkages?

my understanding, the failures have been internal. Bearings, synchro's, things of that nature. And I agree with Casey, it sounds like a synchro related failure.

I would get on the horn with Richmond... ASAP.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 15:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

Was late 80s they started calling them 4L60 here, and they called them so because they have 4 forward gears, L for longitudinal layout (T for transverse, as in the 4T60), and 60 being the relative torque capacity.

I know you blokes seem to have alot of failures with these transmissions over there, but it just makes me wonder how many of these are sitting behind a stock standard engine, being driven the way they were designed to be driven, and being serviced often enough to keep the fluid nice and fresh.

They stopped using the 4L60-E equiped Holdens for taxis over here back in the mid 90s cause the transmissions were not going the distance you could expect from a Ford, but then they were not servicing the transmissions in these taxis very often either, they ran almost 24 hrs a day, no extra cooler (the Ford Falcons had an extra transmission cooler as part of the taxi pack), and only serviced every 100,000. Asking for a failure really isnt it.

I wonder... The climate down under is brutal... It makes me wonder if what we call the 4L60 and what you call the 4L60 are two different boxes, internally. Food for thought. Because the 4L60 here in the states is no where near as durable as what you are describing.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 15:33

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

oh, yea, the AW4 is a stout box. I hang out at www.jeepforums.com, and no one complains about it.

I am not 'concerned,' per se, I just want to do it for a maintenance baseline.[/quote]

Should be an easy one, the pan even has a drain plug, but I do recall the filter being a little pricey. They take Mercon fluid, not the ATF +4 most Mopar vehicles use.
Posted on: 2007/11/9 19:56

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Yeah I will call them this weekend and if they are not in I will hook them up on Monday. Thanks
Posted on: 2007/11/9 21:09

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
I wonder... The climate down under is brutal... It makes me wonder if what we call the 4L60 and what you call the 4L60 are two different boxes, internally. Food for thought. Because the 4L60 here in the states is no where near as durable as what you are describing.

Every chance in the world i guess, something about Australians is we dont tollerate failure any where near as well you Americans seem to. If something lets us down over here, it will be avoided by all those that spend the big money. This means loss of profit, and although Australian made cars are not that good compared to German cars, they are of what id consider a better standard then most run of the mill American cars.
Posted on: 2007/11/10 13:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.