Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
222 user(s) are online (190 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z15
A Collector Edition, RPO Z15.

1996 only.

Silver with black, red or grey interior.

LT1/A4 or LT4/ZF6....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham WGI incident
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

glad they're OK

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autoc ... -on-wednesday-at-wgi.html

[QUOTE]Bill Dearborn;
The first student session of the first day of the Trackmasters event at WGI my student and I witnessed an 06 Z06 flip over in Turn 6. The car was about a couple hundred feet in front of us as we went down the chute. Instead of turning in at the turn in point he just kept to the far right side of the track and only started turning when the pavement turned. The right side of the car went into the grass and went a little further to the right on the grass where it started sideswiping the tire wall. Once it hit the tires they just seemed to grab it and pull it in to the point the right front rode up onto the tire wall. When the car got to the point where it was completely on its side it sort of stopped and held there just a moment and then fell backwards onto its roof. The right side A pillar collapsed but the Halo bar held up very well. The instructor on that side had his head pushed forward as the top came in on him due to the A pillar collapsing. There wasn't enough room to crawl out his side of the car so he had to crawl out of the driver's side. Neither occupant was hurt.

That is one of the scariest things I have witnessed. Definitely a sobering sight.

Bill[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Bill Dearborn;
I finally got around to downloading some pictures I took of the car. They show how far the top crushed inward. The instructor is around 6' 2" or 3" tall so with a helmet on his head was very close to the headliner. Not a lot of room in there for his head considering he was hanging upside down on the belts.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/BillD64/IMG_0014a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/BillD64/IMG_0019a.jpg[/IMG]

It sure has made me think about whether I want to put my race seats and 6 point harnesses in my car if I don't have a cage. Even though the stock harness probably latched tight during the impact a person could still move around the single shoulder strap while two shoulder belts would hold you almost vertical in the seat. Wearing a HANS could be a problem as well since it limits forward head motion. Nothing like supporting the weight of the car with your neck/back bone.

Bill[/QUOTE]
Posted on: 2010/8/3 17:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: WGI incident
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Uffda, close call!
Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:02

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BillH Re: WGI incident
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'll be instructing on the 28th.

You really have to take a firm hand with students who have fast cars or guys who are pushing it a bit too much. Not saying this was the case here but some drivers just don't get it. I had to slow down a Rousch mustang last month cause the guy came too close to f_cking up a few times.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:44

1Fast04Vert Re: WGI incident
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Bet the driver/owner will really be hurting when he finds out his insurance won't cover the damage.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 19:11

Aboatguy Re: WGI incident
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Bet the driver/owner will really be hurting when he finds out his insurance won't cover the damage.

Just another reason to keep it on the street, and I've never seen one of those dangerous "car grabbing" tire walls on the street
Posted on: 2010/8/3 19:25

TommyT-Bone Re: WGI incident
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:

It might if it was drivers education.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 19:43

BrianCunningham Re: WGI incident
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

You not suggesting street racing are you?

BTW when I had my OFF @ RA my car was covered

HPDE are considered driver's instruction not racing
Posted on: 2010/8/3 19:45

1Fast04Vert Re: WGI incident
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
You not suggesting street racing are you?

No, I am not suggesting street racing. And, no, insurance does not cover any incident on a track, drag or road. You can buy insurance supplements for track days, one day at a time for about $200 each.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 19:56

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Mine was covered, but I think I was lucky

The supplemental insurance is a good deal.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 21:02

CentralCoaster Re: WGI incident
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Wow. From the description it sounds like a slow rollover, scary that the A pillar would collapse.

I think tire walls are very dangerous. They at least need some sort of smooth barrier attached to them to prevent the car from climbing or grabbing onto them and whipping around.

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Depends on the insurance and what you can get away with. They don't even always keep their promises, plus I've also seen policies explicitly prohibiting any sort of performance track driving, whether it's racing or not.

Insurance agents will lie through their teeth all day to sell you a policy, but the adjuster is what makes those decisions, and you don't get to talk to him until it's too late.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 22:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

Just another reason to keep it on the street, and I've never seen one of those dangerous "car grabbing" tire walls on the street

I'd rather hit a tire wall than a tree.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 23:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I think tire walls are very dangerous. They at least need some sort of smooth barrier attached to them to prevent the car from climbing or grabbing onto them and whipping around.

Some do, they use a rubber mat, 1/2-3/4 in thick. But it's up to the track to fund it. It covers the front of the tires.

And it depends on who builds the tire wall, how it's banded together (if it even is). There are some guidelines on doing it out there.

Beats the hell out of hitting a wall.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 23:58

Aboatguy Re: WGI incident
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

I'd rather hit a tire wall than a tree.

I'd rather hit nothing at all......
Seems like a lot of street cars get jacked up at the track hitting walls. I've seen numerous videos of C6 Zs hitting the wall at drag strips too.

IMO sand pits, grassy areas and the like would be a better option.

MIke
Posted on: 2010/8/4 0:43

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:

I'd rather hit nothing at all......
Seems like a lot of street cars get jacked up at the track hitting walls. I've seen numerous videos of C6 Zs hitting the wall at drag strips too.

IMO sand pits, grassy areas and the like would be a better option.

MIke

Granted, Mike. I don't like to hit things but they're there on the track or the strip. A guy in an alcohol fulled dragster got killed by hitting the safety net in the sand pit at the end of the strip last month ( the new safety improvements). So nothings for sure.

Sand pits (gravel traps) work well but are a real pain for guys who race because of the time it takes crews to remove the car but they are good for the street car events.

Grassy areas are really dangerous unless they are big enough to let a car stop on them from 150+. When you go off at speed and hit grass with the brakes on, your speed actually increases, they're just that slippery.

This accident took place at Watkins Glen, a very tough track to drive a street car on.
What Brian didn't post (no offence Bri) is that this driver was stupid, he felt the brakes going away in the previous corner and didn't tell the instructor or slow down. He also was in a totally wrong line going into the corner per an instructor in a Viper behind him.

The tire wall's not to blame here and tire walls have proven themselves over the years. I've been into them many times and was glad they were there.

This is extremely rare in HPDE events and usually caused by someone being overzealous. I have over 17,000 miles as an instructor in these events and have never been in a bad situation with my students, spun, yes but nothing bad.
Most events run all day with zero incidents.
Posted on: 2010/8/4 1:42

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
What Brian didn't post (no offence Bri)....

none taken

didn't want to repost the whole thread here.
Posted on: 2010/8/4 1:48

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

This accident took place at Watkins Glen, a very tough track to drive a street car on.
What Brian didn't post (no offence Bri) is that this driver was stupid, he felt the brakes going away in the previous corner and didn't tell the instructor or slow down. He also was in a totally wrong line going into the corner per an instructor in a Viper behind him.

Stupid may not be the right word. Inexperienced. Maybe he plowed to the outside of the corner while panicking about having no brakes.

I had a tiny hint of brake fade on the street once, horsing around, had just passed a C5z, and the following turn I had zero brakes whatsoever. After nearly breaking the back of my seat trying to get it slowed down, I just forced a downshift and turned in anyways and the slide slowed me down. The brakes were completely gone until I got to the bottom of the hill and let them cool.

My point is, he may not have realized how quickly the brakes can go from a little weak, to nothing at all.
Posted on: 2010/8/4 4:15

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Sand pits (gravel traps) work well but are a real pain for guys who race because of the time it takes crews to remove the car but they are good for the street car events.

Grassy areas are really dangerous unless they are big enough to let a car stop on them from 150+. When you go off at speed and hit grass with the brakes on, your speed actually increases, they're just that slippery.

I'd rather see pavement. Cars don't roll on pavement on their own, and they slow the car down safely. I noticed at Talledega for example, they replaced a bunch of infield grass with pavement, because the grass just grabs onto the cars and flips them.
Posted on: 2010/8/4 4:18

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

I'd rather see pavement. Cars don't roll on pavement on their own, and they slow the car down safely. I noticed at Talledega for example, they replaced a bunch of infield grass with pavement, because the grass just grabs onto the cars and flips them.

Yep, coefficient of friction.
Posted on: 2010/8/4 12:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.