Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
173 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Cigarette Lighter
Does it work?

If not, the fuse is hidden… behind the Driver Information Center (DIC) on the 1984-1989, and under the right knee bolster on the ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

(so you can see how things are on my side of the fence)

I got my score sheets back yesterday from the NCRS Columbus Regional at McDorman's in mid-September. The results were as such:

Operations: perfect except 5 points for the driver's side low beam (the switch is dying and got steadily worse during the trip out). Got the 10 bonus points for fire extinguisher, battery disconnect, and NCRS sticker). So, 745 out of 740.

Interior: did pretty well here - the worst deduction (4 points) was for the rear hatch support rods, which A) are service replacements and B) have faded bushings. 756 out of 774 possible points in this area or 97.7%.

Exterior: worst deduction was 10 points for my non-original, incorrectly dated glass top. The judges also thought my paint was sketchy, which is correct. They liked my completely undriveable Gatorbacks (trucked out to Columbus by a friend of mine) and were merciful about the clearcoat separation on my wheels (time to send those back to Wheel Collision Center). 1147 out of 1179 points or 97.3%.

Mechanical: I got killed on my service replacement battery - further research has revealed that I was attempting to copy the 1986 battery instead of the 1985 . 10 points lost there and an additional 5 each on the air filter housing and the valve covers. 1117 out of 1158 or 96.5%.

Chassis: I took an expected 8 point hit on the mufflers and exhaust tips, which are correct but not original. The big surprise was the PCV valve, which was completely wrong (not even an AC Delco service replacement). 4 unnecessary points lost - ugh. 613 out of 649 or 94.5%.

Total RAW score: 4378 or 97.2% - by the skin of my teeth the 97% necessary as a McClellan qualifier. Now, back to attempt a Performance Verification; probably some time next year.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 14:54

Louis, 2012 Centennial Edition Coupe
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I was a member in the second year of NCRS, IIRC, the meetings were in Bryn Mawr.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 15:05

j3studio Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

I was a member in the second year of NCRS, IIRC, the meetings were in Bryn Mawr.

That's hilarious - the local chapter meeting are in Fort Washington now. We actually just appointed a chapter historian: I'll see if he has anything about that.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 15:08

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

That's hilarious - the local chapter meeting are in Fort Washington now. We actually just appointed a chapter historian: I'll see if he has anything about that.

Hell, it could have been Ft. Washington, I never drove, used to ride with Chip Miller and 2 other guys.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 15:11

flyboy Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Congratulations on your efforts.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 15:21

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Congratulations on your efforts.

Thanks! I realize it's not for everyone...
Posted on: 2010/10/6 16:57

bogus Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I have to give you props for this, John. Serious props. The dedication, the commitment, the success. No question...

But for me, it's just too anal and I am not allowed to make fixes without spending 6 months tracking down the right replacement part. I don't have the patience for that!

Also, as much as you enjoy driving that car, it will come to a point that driving it will be counter productive to judging it.

Congrats on making the grade!!!!

I do question one thing... why do they ding you for a "correct, but not original" muffler? What am I missing in that sentence?
Posted on: 2010/10/6 18:00

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

"Operations: perfect except 5 points for the driver's side low beam (the switch is dying and got steadily worse during the trip out). Got the 10 bonus points for fire extinguisher, battery disconnect, and NCRS sticker). So, 745 out of 740."

So they docked you for the headlight switch, but then gave you bonus points for a sticker and fire extinguisher and other stuff that isn't original at all?

These cars aren't fire hazards, so I don't get why they are rewarding anyone for that, as if fire extinguisher is going to stop a car from burning to the ground or being salvaged anyways. If you covered it in bubble wrap would you get more points? Or maybe a NCRS mural across the hood?
Posted on: 2010/10/6 18:37

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I have to give you props for this, John. Serious props. The dedication, the commitment, the success. No question...

But for me, it's just too anal and I am not allowed to make fixes without spending 6 months tracking down the right replacement part. I don't have the patience for that!

It's the game I choose to play.

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Also, as much as you enjoy driving that car, it will come to a point that driving it will be counter productive to judging it.

Congrats on making the grade!

I'll tell you the truth: if I had not gotten the 97%, I would have retired the car from judging for a couple of years. C4 judging is getting steadily tougher as the judges learn the cars and Lauren was just about as good as you can get a 66 thousand mile early C4 without trailering.

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I do question one thing... why do they ding you for a "correct, but not original" muffler? What am I missing in that sentence?

Correct part number, wrong date - and no question there: they came off a 1987.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 19:00

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
"Operations: perfect except 5 points for the driver's side low beam (the switch is dying and got steadily worse during the trip out). Got the 10 bonus points for fire extinguisher, battery disconnect, and NCRS sticker). So, 745 out of 740."

So they docked you for the headlight switch, but then gave you bonus points for a sticker and fire extinguisher and other stuff that isn't original at all?

These cars aren't fire hazards, so I don't get why they are rewarding anyone for that, as if fire extinguisher is going to stop a car from burning to the ground or being salvaged anyways.

There are always exceptions. The fire extinguisher is mostly a relic from the old days, when folks drove hot Corvettes in and parked them on grass. It's very common in the old car hobby - you see them at AACA meets, etc. I don't mind having my Halon with me.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 19:05

bogus Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

It's the game I choose to play.

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Congrats on making the grade!

I'll tell you the truth: if I had not gotten the 97%, I would have retired the car from judging for a couple of years. C4 judging is getting steadily tougher as the judges learn the cars and Lauren was just about as good as you can get a 66 thousand mile early C4 without trailering.

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Correct part number, wrong date - and no question there: they came off a 1987.

Interesting... the part number isn't good enough, it has to have the right date code. To me, that will be damned near impossible to overcome. Lets say GM still makes the mufflers for the 85-88 Vette, but now they are all date coded 2010, cause that is when they were made. This means, you have to find NOS or used from 1985 to not lose points.

I guess this is the anal aspect that gets on my nerve... I start to feel claustrophobic when dealing with rules of that nature.

Sure, if this was a 1963 Z06 coupe, I would endevour for all the originality possible... For me, I still see C4s as being daily drivers and candidates for hot rods!! I must change that perception.

I know what this means, John... when you start trailering Lauren, you can get a later ZR1 as a drivable toy.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 19:48

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Sure, if this was a 1963 Z06 coupe, I would endeavor for all the originality possible ... For me, I still see C4s as being daily drivers and candidates for hot rods! I must change that perception.

There's a guy I know fairly well in the NCRS who does extended road tours (we did a thousand plus miles with him in 2008) in his black 1963 Z06 and still got his Duntov award at this year's National. It can be done, but it sure isn't common.

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I know what this means, John... when you start trailering Lauren, you can get a later ZR1 as a drivable toy.

If I start trailering Lauren, you need to intervene.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:00

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, as long as you can keep it fun and usable, more power to you. It's been hashed out already a million times so I won't go there. I wonder what my ncrs score would be.

My garage has more original 85 Corvette parts than my car does.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:25

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
My garage has more original 85 Corvette parts than my car does.

My garage has more of your original 85 Corvette parts than your car does.

It's all good.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:33

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Sure, if this was a 1963 Z06 coupe, I would endevour for all the originality possible... For me, I still see C4s as being daily drivers and candidates for hot rods!! I must change that perception.

People patitioned NCRS to let their C4's in, not the other way around. Those people wanted to be judged by NCRS rules.

So, is NCRS anal or are those C4 owners anal?
Posted on: 2010/10/6 21:05

Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Both!
Posted on: 2010/10/6 21:14

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Both!

Har!
Posted on: 2010/10/6 21:22

Mekanic Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

lot's of anal in here.

Great job tho mang. I couldn't do it... at all with my 96 lol
Posted on: 2010/10/7 0:03

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It's like an anal competition. I'll keep you in mind if I remove any original parts off my car. You can bet your ass the previous owner never did.
Posted on: 2010/10/7 6:22

Matatk Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Congrats on a great accomplishment!
Posted on: 2010/10/7 14:13

flyboy Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I love everything about the C4, the styling, engineering, it's place in Corvette evolution. I pains me when I hear owners and non-owners diss it. My '91 was a 37,000mi. stocker when I bought it 3 1/2 years ago and after a few small mods, it was too late for me to turn back. When someone asks me what I did to it, it's cars like j3's that provide a reference. I wish I had another vette to keep perfectly stock. The fact that there are guys like j3 that are willing to take the time and effort to do so really lends credence to the 4th generation Corvette and helps to secure it a place in 'vette history.
Posted on: 2010/10/7 14:43

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
I love everything about the C4, the styling, engineering, it's place in Corvette evolution. I pains me when I hear owners and non-owners diss it. My '91 was a 37,000mi. stocker when I bought it 3 1/2 years ago and after a few small mods, it was too late for me to turn back. When someone asks me what I did to it, it's cars like j3's that provide a reference. I wish I had another vette to keep perfectly stock. The fact that there are guys like j3 that are willing to take the time and effort to do so really lends credence to the 4th generation Corvette and helps to secure it a place in 'vette history.

Well said.
Nothin' anal about it.
Posted on: 2010/10/7 15:11

Pmihaltian Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Guru Newb
Charlotte, NC
5 Posts

Congrats, Studio. Nice work - WELL DONE !
Posted on: 2010/11/29 15:22

Pmihaltian Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Guru Newb
Charlotte, NC
5 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

These cars aren't fire hazards, so I don't get why they are rewarding anyone for that, as if fire extinguisher is going to stop a car from burning to the ground or being salvaged anyways. If you covered it in bubble wrap would you get more points? Or maybe a NCRS mural across the hood?

Many NCRS judging events are indoors and as such many municipalities' fire marshalls require fire extinguishers and battery cut-off switches. This is the basis for encouraging members to have both of these items.

FWIW,

P.
Posted on: 2010/11/29 15:27

CorvetteArchives Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Guru Newb
65 Posts

I find that HILARIOUS that people really care about this so much since I dont value it based on my experience. The NCRS judging manual I have for 1984 is very inaccurate. This leads me to the conclusion that the NCRS doesnt really have a clue as to what is actually factory correct :-(
Maybe they have updated it in the past year but I 'm certainly not going to waste more $ on a newer edition. :-(
Posted on: 2011/2/8 3:22

JeffK Re: For Your Amusement: Recent Flight Judging Results
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Congrats!
Posted on: 2011/2/8 12:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.