Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
223 user(s) are online (197 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Regular Production Order
Commonly known as RPO. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.

Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I did these upgrades to perk up the look of the place and I need some feed back as to if things are looking to your collective liking.

Don't hold back, I want honest assessment.

Also, some things are still in flux; the fonts selected will more then likely change in some places to improve legibility.

Oh, just so you know, we are not going back! I do like the new look too much to revert. I needed to mature the look of the site and I know I have done that.

Give ideas and feedback, but I will warn, some things simply won't happen due to limitations of the sofware.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 2:36

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I like it a lot. Very happy with it.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 2:52

1Fast04Vert Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Great improvement, much better than before.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 3:09

BrianCunningham Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Looks good, though I wouldn't have gone to the mainpage if it wasn't for this thread.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 3:20

76Nordic Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Dumbass
Brea, CA
239 Posts

An opinion from a newbie! I think you have done a great job on the upgrade here. You didn't go overboard and make it look like the other place, yes I have found out about it, and didn't care much about it either... the other site. I frequent (sp) a few boating forums cause that is something I have been into for a long time. Classic boats, or the older hotrods !!!! YES!!! There is one boat forum, that reminds me bigtime of the other place, too fricking much drama!!!! I like the way you all keep this site mellow and basically down to earth, with a lot of good info and help. Don't get me wrong, I like to see the booobies and all, and I will keep coming back for more! Long winded here I know, but just was letting ya all know what I thought about this site. The vette I bought from my buddy is my project car, the one that gets me the hell outta the house and into the garage....I do have a wife and a 16 year old daughter, so I is basically trapped like a rat!!! LOL Mark
Posted on: 2011/1/7 4:06

TommyT-Bone Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

I was going to say Very Good to Very,Very Good but I don't have that option. It's way better than good. I don't score many things Excellent. That's just the way I am.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 4:21

Ultraman Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14728 Posts

I like it. I always go to the home page and then look at all the topics and choose which one I want to participate in or learn from. This means I have to scroll down through all the lead in things to get where I am wanting to be. I don't think there is any way to make that easier. I like the readers cars to pick the place you want to go.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 4:32

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

I like it, Andy. I was on a site the other day looking up stuff for the neighbor's Mitsubishi and the site colors were like black and silver - looked very sharp. Are we doing anything with color changes?

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/1/7 12:31

JeffK Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I like it.

I really like the subtle colors, makes it easier to lurk from work without bright colors to draw the bosses eye!
Posted on: 2011/1/7 14:27

DaleD Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I like it. Nice look. Only suggestion I'd make is a link at the top to take you down to the Recently Replied Topics.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 14:36

Huskerland
14728 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
I like it. Nice look. Only suggestion I'd make is a link at the top to take you down to the Recently Replied Topics.

Yeah, what Dale said! I want to see the whole menue of whats to talk about not just the individual forums.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 14:52

biggrizzly Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Keep in mind that I voted that the site was great but needed a little refinement. I think you have done an absolutely awesome job of creating a great working home for us.

However, as a web professional that builds online training for the military I find a few things that would get complaints from my users and those that review my training products.

Important information on the front page - For some reason people will read long boring threads and other content on a website, but when it comes to administrative content like on the header of this site it usually gets overlooked. Also those that do spend the time to read it don't look at it ever again. So, that front page real estate is being used up for a new person that might be coming to the site for the first time. Therefore, I'd make some effective graphic links to the important content and make it required to see that information prior to registering for the site. Then if they chose to read it great, and then you can use that space for something more appealing to each of us that come back to the home page on a daily basis. Perhaps the daily or weekly hot threads, or a link to a member highlight section or something.

The four buttons for Important links are dated and give the site a 1990s look. I'd also drop the script text for those buttons. Take a look at popular websites like Facebook and others. You won't find any more of the gel buttons or too much gradients. Most graphic designers have dropped that look for more flat images with good visible content text. Some sites will use some slight shading on buttons, but heavy gradients are out in my opinion.

The other day you had a wide Guru banner at the top. I liked that. It jumped out and told me where I was. I know you have the small graphic in the upper left but I think your site deserves a bit more punch for its name. It's a great name and needs to stand out.

I love the use of members cars for generation links. I also like the 30% images of the Corvettes behind the text on the home page welcome message.

Additionally, I think you can scale everything down about 25 to 30 percent. I run my monitors at pretty high resolution and the text and images on the home page are still really big. You can save a lot of space there too.

These comments are only my opinion and I still love the website. It's your creation and that is more than enough reason to keep things as you like them. By the way, there is so much more that I like about this Corvette site over all the others that there is not enough room here for me to list. So, keep that in mind. My few comments here are the only things that really kind of jumped out at me.

Cheers and thanks for a great product.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 15:18

NC Kid Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Please keep the large pictues. It looks fantastic!!!
Posted on: 2011/1/7 16:03

bogus Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:

I like that idea!! I just don't think I can add tags to do it. It's one of those "software limitations" that I was alluding too.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 18:09

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Keep in mind that I voted that the site was great but needed a little refinement. I think you have done an absolutely awesome job of creating a great working home for us.

However, as a web professional that builds online training for the military I find a few things that would get complaints from my users and those that review my training products.

Important information on the front page - For some reason people will read long boring threads and other content on a website, but when it comes to administrative content like on the header of this site it usually gets overlooked. Also those that do spend the time to read it don't look at it ever again. So, that front page real estate is being used up for a new person that might be coming to the site for the first time. Therefore, I'd make some effective graphic links to the important content and make it required to see that information prior to registering for the site. Then if they chose to read it great, and then you can use that space for something more appealing to each of us that come back to the home page on a daily basis. Perhaps the daily or weekly hot threads, or a link to a member highlight section or something.

The four buttons for Important links are dated and give the site a 1990s look. I'd also drop the script text for those buttons. Take a look at popular websites like Facebook and others. You won't find any more of the gel buttons or too much gradients. Most graphic designers have dropped that look for more flat images with good visible content text. Some sites will use some slight shading on buttons, but heavy gradients are out in my opinion.

The other day you had a wide Guru banner at the top. I liked that. It jumped out and told me where I was. I know you have the small graphic in the upper left but I think your site deserves a bit more punch for its name. It's a great name and needs to stand out.

I love the use of members cars for generation links. I also like the 30% images of the Corvettes behind the text on the home page welcome message.

Additionally, I think you can scale everything down about 25 to 30 percent. I run my monitors at pretty high resolution and the text and images on the home page are still really big. You can save a lot of space there too.

These comments are only my opinion and I still love the website. It's your creation and that is more than enough reason to keep things as you like them. By the way, there is so much more that I like about this Corvette site over all the others that there is not enough room here for me to list. So, keep that in mind. My few comments here are the only things that really kind of jumped out at me.

Cheers and thanks for a great product.

Don,

Thanks for the feedback.

First off, the software has restrictions that make some of the suggestion moot. For example, mandating that someone does something prior to registering is just not happening. The code behind that is difficult and verges on being a secured connection prior to purchase. Even then, ppl don't read those agreements.

I will work on a big banner to welcome folks!

The intro text is for newbies, no question. It's that nasty thing of first impressions. I will test shrinking everything down, but if it gets too small, readibility gets effected.

I agree on the buttons; those were a first stab and yes, they were not the best possible outcome. First stab isn't the right word, more like proof of concept.

Your advise is good, and much I agree with... it is now limitations of the software. At the same time, this type of software doesn't have much enforcement built in. They have one block of text you can put on the registration screen and that's really it. A check box to acknowledge and that's that. I am including phpbb and vbullitin in that list. They are real soft in that arena... in as much as they have no reason to be too harsh.

Personally, I hate reading those agreement texts. They get long winded and have a tendency to be written in legalese.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 18:57

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... I have updated the buttons and created a welcome graphic.

Thoughts?
Posted on: 2011/1/7 19:38

4543 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm grinning as I type this. Why Green? LOL.
Sorry I know I'm a PITA. My wife tells me that every day.

I think they would look good the same color as the top banner; dark blue with white text. Nice contrast. My OP
Posted on: 2011/1/7 21:20

TommyT-Bone Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm grinning as I type this. Why Green? LOL.
Sorry I know I'm a PITA. My wife tells me that every day.

I think they would look good the same color as the top banner; dark blue with white text. Nice contrast. My OP

Posted on: 2011/1/7 21:33

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I just picked a color!!! I will revise...
Posted on: 2011/1/7 21:42

Huskerland
14728 Posts

Hey Andy, on the buttons on the left side of the screen, why can't you put one after Home that reads, Recent Topics?
Then I could click there and go right to the overview of all the forums to see which ones interest me.

Then I don't have to scroll down each time through the intros, which I know you gotta have on the Home page. Quick and simple.

Now when I am done replying to or reading a thread, I go to the top of that thread and hit Home and then scroll down to the Most Recent Topics and pick out another that I want to read. Instead of hitting Home I would hit Recent Topics and it would take me right there.
Posted on: 2011/1/7 23:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Hey Andy, on the buttons on the left side of the screen, why can't you put one after Home that reads, Recent Topics?
Then I could click there and go right to the overview of all the forums to see which ones interest me.

Then I don't have to scroll down each time through the intros, which I know you gotta have on the Home page. Quick and simple.

Now when I am done replying to or reading a thread, I go to the top of that thread and hit Home and then scroll down to the Most Recent Topics and pick out another that I want to read. Instead of hitting Home I would hit Recent Topics and it would take me right there.

Again, great idea... but the software doesn't seem to support what is called "bookmarking." A lot of that is caused by the fact that these blocks are generated. So the system doesn't know they exist until they do.

I will research... maybe I am wrong.
Posted on: 2011/1/8 0:11

Huskerland
14728 Posts

The new look for Saturday is good Andy. I like the way you reduced the size a bit on the intro. Looking good to me!
Posted on: 2011/1/8 12:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Thanks Marcus!

@Don - thoughts? No more green buttons.

I also revisited the fonts. Much more legable.
Posted on: 2011/1/8 18:52

pianoguy Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The latest changes at the top and the new buttons look much better, IMO.
Posted on: 2011/1/8 19:22

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Thanks Brad!!

Another change... heh heh heh... new thread starting in just a second!
Posted on: 2011/1/8 19:59

pianoguy Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The new "Welcome To" shading made me think I need a trip to the optometrist :-P

How about just a scrolling announcement box for the trivia, under the Corvette Guru box?
Posted on: 2011/1/9 17:36

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

4543 Posts

LOL Andy. Don't quit your day job!
Your great with cars but we need to send you to color and graphics classes.

The website is really just fine the way you have it but remember that simple is best. I think the doubled drop shadow is difficult to read and also a dated look. Reminds me of the old MS Publisher or PowerPoint Text tool.
Posted on: 2011/1/9 17:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I never professed it.

I am still working over the welcome banner. I can't do a scroll. that means a GIF editor, and I don't got one...

For now, that will work... I wanted to get it up and announce the game. I might revamp it... but more than likely for the next iteration.
Posted on: 2011/1/9 22:27

4543 Posts

I agree with you. As I said, I really think the website is great as it is. Like anything there is always room for improvement, but I think you have done a hell of job here. I know what a PITA it is to constantly be playing with these things. I want to redo my Corvette Club site to a completely content based site that I can assign people permissions to their own sections and they can update content as needed. If they can run a Facebook account they can help keep the website up to date.
Posted on: 2011/1/10 0:36

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you're a better php programmer than I, gunga din.
Posted on: 2011/1/10 0:48

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok, Don... Revamped the trivia/welcome logo. Much cleaner now, if I do say so myself.
Posted on: 2011/1/10 2:07

4543 Posts

Looks awesome Andy!

Sometimes it takes a little pushing. I really don't want you take my suggestions wrong either because I really think you have a great site with a great community of Vette lovers.
Posted on: 2011/1/10 2:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Don,

I don't take them wrong. I greatly appreciate your (and everyone elses) insights. Without them, I am working in some kind of sychophantic vacuum, what good is that?

As far as I am concerned, your points have allowed me to improve what is already good! I can't complain about that!!

THANKS!!!
Posted on: 2011/1/10 2:28

Epimax Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Great work Andy!
Posted on: 2011/1/10 13:31

tjpreul Re: Opinions on the Site's New Look!
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

When I click on Andrew's car to go to the C4 section it opens it in another window. Can you make it so it doesn't open a new window?
Posted on: 2011/3/26 3:01

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hm... I will look into that!
Posted on: 2011/3/26 3:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok, TJ, fixed!!!
Posted on: 2011/3/26 3:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.