Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
242 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A-Molds
These are a more traditional 5-spoke rim (than the Saw Blades).

Used on later ZR1s, the 1996 GrandSport and Collectors Edition....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus ZIPCODES!!!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... for you folks outside the USA, they are Postal Codes. But for space, I used ZIPCODE.

What I did was this... we had a space for the ICQ number. Well, ICQ seems about dead, of the 2800+ registered members, only TWO (2) had a valid entry.

Before I go any farther... Frank (Mr Mojo), sorry. I removed your ICQ. The needs of the many, brah. You were one of the two. The other one never posted.

What has happened is easy... I have repurposed the ICQ field to be the postal/ZIP Code.

As a piece of useless trivia, ZIP = Zone Improvement Program.

All I request is that everyone out there updates their ZIPCODE with their 5-digit US Zip Code. If you are outside the USA, enter your local postal code. The field isn't picky, so enter whatever.

What this will allow us to do is search on folks who are in certian areas and then focus regional mail blasts.

This conversion isn't perfect. Those of you in Germany may run into some issues. Your digit format is the same as the USA, see what I mean?

What would also help is to fill in your location field with more precise information. Now, I know a lot of you are concerned with privacy, and I fully appreciate that. As an example, I live in Torrance, CA. But if I was concerned, I could easily enter Los Angeles, CA. It's the next big city near me and still reflects, accurately, what is reasonable within a 2 hour drive time kinda thing.

So if you are in rural Nebraska, pick the nearest big town, perhaps Lincoln or Omaha. If in Ohio, Columbus or Cleveland, versus the smaller town you are in.

And of course, smaller towns alway help if you are not concerned about privacy issues.

Again, we will be using this info to send pointed emails. For example, I am trying to drum up support for a SoCal Social. I can't email the entire membership for something only happening here... that would really upset those in Texas, for example; and you don't mess with Texas!

Take a couple of minutes, hit "Edit Account" on the left nav menu and update the ZIPCODE to your local zip code. The info will not be presented in a thread, only on your profile. Also, if you are concerned, pick the general delivery zip code for you're area. An example is where I grew up near Dover, DE. There is 19901, 02, 03, 04 and 05. O1 is the general delivery; the others have smaller geographical areas, pinpointing where in Dover someone might live. Also, one of them (don't remember which) is just for PO boxes.

Thanks, gang! This will help a TON!!! As we grow and hold events, it will allow us to search out regions better.
Posted on: 2011/1/8 20:11

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

It's easy and it's fun ......

Done .........
Posted on: 2011/1/8 21:38

Calm Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Hey Andy,

Even though I'm in Canada I normally use the nearest U.S. zip code. 98295 (Sumas, Wa.) is 12 mins from my house. I always use that for a US shipping address.

I imagine US zips cover a large population area. Canadian postal Codes cover VERY few people.

For instance my postal code only represents SEVEN homes on my street! And I'm in the middle of thousands of homes (not rural).

I might suggest that other Canucks do their postal code (for your purposes) by replacing the last three number/letters with 'XXX'. That way it won't be so specific (one of 5 or 10 houses) rather it would place you within, say, a five mile radius. Mine would look like this: "V2S XXX".
Posted on: 2011/1/8 21:56

bogus Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok, that makes great sense!

In the USA, the first three two define the larger scope, #3 narrows it to a town, and then the last two, within a town.

This changes a bit with small towns, and the 3rd digit can represent a small county.

Here in Torrance, we have 90501, 02, 03, 04 and 05 (I think that's it). We are in 90503, that's west side, 04 is south, 01, general. I think 02 is north and 05 is east.

All over SoCal, Disney will offer ticket discounts for those who live in a certain range. The search options arn't great, but I can say, anyone whose zip starts with 90, 91, 92, 93 would be included, for example.

Your idea works the same way, I need the V2S, so I can get as many ppl as possible, considering how close you are to the US, using a US postal code makes great sense.
Posted on: 2011/1/8 22:03

captmike13 Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Updated. Like the new look.
Posted on: 2011/1/8 23:13

captmike13@yahoo.com

bobges Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

Done, I also like the new look
Posted on: 2011/1/9 0:25

flyboy Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

So that's what ICQ was for. Now, only AIM, YIM, and MSNM have me in the dark. Oh, and I like the makeover!
Posted on: 2011/1/9 1:14

bogus Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

AIM - AOL Instant Messenger.
YIM - Yahoo Instant Messenger.
MSNM- MSNBC Instant Messenger.

ICQ was yet another internet messengering tool...

Thanks gang!
Posted on: 2011/1/9 1:20

76Nordic Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Dumbass
Brea, CA
239 Posts

Updated
Posted on: 2011/1/9 5:43

NC Kid Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Updated!
Posted on: 2011/1/9 15:42

vetteman1 Re: ZIPCODES!!!!!
Guru Newb
NW PA
3 Posts

I'm updated
Posted on: 2011/1/10 15:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.