Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
236 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Epimax Instrument Cluster Update
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Well,
I started having trouble with the instrument cluster (1993 LT1) the other day. The digital readout would go into a spin cycle and would stop briefly if I smacked the dash...

I pulled the instrument cluster out today and checked connections...Everything seemed in order...No damaged connections, wires, etc.

I put it all back together and fired it up.. Looked ok...until I got it on the road, and he display went haywire again..

I'm thinking I need to replace the instrument cluster...
Is there anything else that could be causing this?
My FSM's are still MIA...I know they're here somewhere, but just haven't found the right box yet..

Tks!
Posted on: 2011/2/26 23:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ultraman Re: Instrument Cluster Update
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14730 Posts

I just had a speedometer go bad on one of my Duramax's. One place said 500 bucks to replace the other said $350. I got on line and found this guy who rebuilds them and sent the whole unit in and had it repaired for life for $65 and what it cost me to ship it to him.

I sent it on Monday and got it back on Friday. It looks brand new. You could call him or email him to see if he works on Vette stuff and if he could rebuild it for you and how much. Just an idea. He also does ECM's and such. Here is his link:

http://www.speedometerrepairguy.com/
Posted on: 2011/2/27 0:40

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Epimax Re: Instrument Cluster Update
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Thank you!!

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I just had a speedometer go bad on one of my Duramax's. One place said 500 bucks to replace the other said $350. I got on line and found this guy who rebuilds them and sent the whole unit in and had it repaired for life for $65 and what it cost me to ship it to him.

I sent it on Monday and got it back on Friday. It looks brand new. You could call him or email him to see if he works on Vette stuff and if he could rebuild it for you and how much. Just an idea. He also does ECM's and such. Here is his link:

http://www.speedometerrepairguy.com/
Posted on: 2011/2/28 11:27

TommyT-Bone Re: Instrument Cluster Update
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

I used these guys and was very happy with them outside of the expense. Some stuff costs if you want to keep it up.

http://www.southernelectronics.com/
Posted on: 2011/2/28 13:04

CentralCoaster Re: Instrument Cluster Update
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Does it only happen with the engine running?

A faulty ignition coil has been known to cause this on early C4s, throwing off enough electrical interference to wreak havoc on the sensitive LEDs.
Posted on: 2011/2/28 20:47

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

I think so..but I'll check again...
It will do ok for a few seconds, sometimes longer, but then freeze altogether or start that damn spin cycle again.

On another note...procrastination has bit me big time..
Went to open the hood last night, and the hood latch on the drivers side won't open.. I think my car has turned into Christine...

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Does it only happen with the engine running?

A faulty ignition coil has been known to cause this on early C4s, throwing off enough electrical interference to wreak havoc on the sensitive LEDs.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 11:41

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

The dreaded hood latch ...... You did have the the little emergency release thingy installed .... Right? The release I've always thought was a great idea but never done to either of my Vettes. .............
Posted on: 2011/3/1 12:19

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
The dreaded hood latch ...... You did have the the little emergency release thingy installed .... Right? The release I've always thought was a great idea but never done to either of my Vettes. .............

No Sir..I've got the link on my desktop at home, but I've never got around to doing it...
My car hates me!
Posted on: 2011/3/1 13:34

Matatk Re: Instrument Cluster Update
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Bad luck, David. Your only solution is to put it back on the truck and ship it to me. I'll pay you the hefty sum of $1000 for a car in such poor shape

Will the hood not open because the cord broke, or it's just tight? Sometimes I need to press down on my hood at the corner while pulling the release handle to get it to pop. Try that first.

If it did break, I've heard using that goofy hood tool is tough. I've read of someone removing the front wheel and inner fender to get in there more easily. Just a thought.

As far at the dash, I like the idea of checking all your electrical connections, including the grounds. Those are very important. Of course it could always be the cluster, but check the easy stuff first.

Keep us posted.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/3/1 14:21

crash Re: Instrument Cluster Update
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

it just dawned on me. when i worked at just corvettes they repaired the old style dashs 84-89. alot of times it was the printed circuit board at the connector. check for any cracks where the board and the connector come together. we would resolder them and they worked fine. of course we had the tester to check them when done,
Posted on: 2011/3/2 2:41

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Well, I think it's broke. I pushed down on it, etc, but it's not doing anything. I think the end of the cable must have popped off..
I'm going to take the wheel/inner fender off and see if I can unlatch it that way...

But first I've got to fix something else that went wrong yesterday..The window regulator in the wife's rover broke ..
Got part ordered this am..Fun time ahead...

But wait, there's more... The check engine light came on in my Z71 yesterday too.. Pulled codes and after some reading on a forum it looks like the Vent Valve Solenoid is toast..

WTH?! Did a comet pass by...am I looking at Maximum Overdrive 2 at my house?!! Better not unpack the power tools just yet...
Posted on: 2011/3/2 12:54

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

Sounds like your into a "WTF" cycle. It will pass. I don't know when, but it will.
Posted on: 2011/3/2 13:00

NC Kid Re: Instrument Cluster Update
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

My dash went haywire when my tach filter wire got a little cooked....As did my radio.
Posted on: 2011/3/3 2:15

flyboy Re: Instrument Cluster Update
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Good luck with your projects. You might want to install this aux. latch release when you run out of things to do.
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... 1&post_id=87191#threadtop
Posted on: 2011/3/3 4:10

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Finally found my FSM's last night, so at least I know what I'm looking at now..
Will check the tach wire for certain...
AND, once I get that damn hood open I'm going to install that emergency release cable like I was going to do 2 years ago...

On another note...The glitches keep coming...
Now, on top of the Vent Valve Solenoid issue with my truck, I've got another instrument cluster issue (CF). Speedo said I was doing 90 when I put it in drive this morning...
After doing some more reading on the chevy forum, this is a common issue and just as my luck would have it, I'm just over the mileage for the warranty to pay for it all...
They have to replace the entire cluster, because before long the tach and other gauges will start screwing up too..

All I can say is...
Posted on: 2011/3/3 18:22

Epimax Re: Instrument Cluster Update-5/18/2012
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Remember the problem I was having with the digital display?

I pulled out the cluster, no problems. Checked the grounds, No problems...Checked the battery cables, no problems...
Throw the cover over it and let it sit in the garage (after the hood latch broke)...No problem..
Fast Forward..

Well, I fixed the latch problem -- bought a new battery and picked up some new bolts for the battery cables as well...
I didn't notice anything unusual when I was removing the battery (the cables were tight, etc), but when I was removing the old bolts I noticed that the bolt on the positive terminal was really worn. Just for kicks, I attempted to tighten down the cable on the positive terminal to the new battery using the old bolt just to see if I could get a good connection. Nope. It would tighten down to a point and then just spin..
I installed the new bolts, tightened down the cables, put everything back together and fired it up..
No problems... Took it down the street... No problems...Took it down the road..No problems..
Took it to work...No problem!
In retrospect, I can't believe I didn't check those bolts when I was looking at the cables. Just think of all the aggravation that would have saved!! Yet another lesson learned! Man...it's good to have it back on the road again!

Attach file:

jpg  v516.JPG (142.12 KB)
1871_4fb636bf92fd2.jpg 358X480 px
Posted on: 2012/5/18 11:52

BillH Re: Instrument Cluster Update-5/18/2012
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Epimax wrote:

In retrospect, I can't believe I didn't check those bolts when I was looking at the cables. Just think of all the aggravation that would have saved!! Yet another lesson learned! Man...it's good to have it back on the road again!

That's great, David.

People love to over tighten......everything. It always drives me nuts especially if I have to work on something after them.
Posted on: 2012/5/18 13:32

Matatk Re: Instrument Cluster Update
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Glad it's resolved - and that's not a common place people would look, so good job!
Posted on: 2012/5/19 2:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.