Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
309 user(s) are online (282 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

bam LT4 Hot Cam??
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I am thinking of upgrading to the LT4 hot cam in my 93 6 spd, 1.6rr's, LT4 springs, EM LT's and have some questions.
1.Anyone tried this (http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com ... n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1)would it work on the LT1 engine.
2.I have done quite a bit of research on this especially here; http://www.hashmarks.com/techtips/hot_cam.htm any other info, that others who have done a cam swap that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
3. I plan to replace the pan gasket, I know some use RTV at some points on the gasket, where and why?
4.Does it take a puller to remove the crank timing gear?
5.What about reinstalling the timing cover and the seals for the w/p drive & opti I know some use a cover to protect the seal when going back on, is this right, where do yo find it?
4.I have new Bosch 3 injectors will they be ok?
5.What about a tune and who do you recommend?
Thanks!
Posted on: 2011/3/11 3:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

flyboy Re: LT4 Hot Cam??
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Regarding the magnets, isn't the LT1 manifold relatively easy to remove compared to say the L98?
Posted on: 2011/3/11 4:15

tjpreul Re: LT4 Hot Cam??
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Depending on the milage you might want to replace the lifters too. I would. If you are planning on new springs you will have to remove the heads. The intake is very simple to remove on the LT1. The Bosch III injectors will be fine for these mods.

For the pan gasket the RTV is used because you don't want to crank the bolts down, and the corners never seal proper. You only use a small amount so it doesn't squish out everywhere.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 5:17

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

BillH Re: LT4 Hot Cam??
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
, isn't the LT1 manifold relatively easy to remove compared to say the L98?

Yes Sir.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 13:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
I am thinking of upgrading to the LT4 hot cam in my 93 6 spd, 1.6rr's, LT4 springs, EM LT's and have some questions.
1.Anyone tried this (http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com ... n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1)would it work on the LT1 engine.
2.I have done quite a bit of research on this especially here; http://www.hashmarks.com/techtips/hot_cam.htm any other info, that others who have done a cam swap that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
3. I plan to replace the pan gasket, I know some use RTV at some points on the gasket, where and why?
4.Does it take a puller to remove the crank timing gear?
5.What about reinstalling the timing cover and the seals for the w/p drive & opti I know some use a cover to protect the seal when going back on, is this right, where do yo find it?
4.I have new Bosch 3 injectors will they be ok?
5.What about a tune and who do you recommend?
Thanks!

3. The pan gasket: Felpro OS34500R (one piece)
Guys have had good luck both dry and with sealant in the
corners (Felpro says dry). Get rid of the RTV and buy a tube of the Right Stuff, it blows away RTV performance wise and you'll need it for the intake anyway.
Dabs of sealant in the corners help with the irregularities.
Before you install the pan gasket, check for any of the timing cover gasket sticking out where the pan gasket goes, trim with a razor blade if necessary. I use just a little bit of TRS in the corners.

4. Timing cover: FelPro TCS45953 (gasket & seals)
There's a KentMoore tool kit with the gear puller,installer and seal protector, you may be able to find one on ebay.
I haven't tried to change the gears but it may be possible with another puller.
Some guys have made a protector out of a Sharpie pen (this only works half the time,I tried it), the KM protector works perfectly.

Intake gasket: FelPro MS95580

The tune, talk to Mick (Mseven) here.
I have a LT4 HotCam chip that I'd sell cheap. It's out of a 93 TransAm, auto trans and would need to be programed and checked out (I've never run it).
Posted on: 2011/3/11 13:51

bam Re: LT4 Hot Cam??
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Regarding the magnets, isn't the LT1 manifold relatively easy to remove compared to say the L98?

I suppose it is but with all the stuff that has to come off to get to the cam on the LT1 it would be nice to not have to remove the intake, plus just one more thing to not have to worry about messing up if you don't need to remove it?! I don't think I'll do lifters now, tight budget. Thanks for all the good posts and especially the gasket numbers.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 14:21

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
Quote:

flyboy wrote:

I suppose it is but with all the stuff that has to come off to get to the cam on the LT1 it would be nice to not have to remove the intake, plus just one more thing to not have to worry about messing up if you don't need to remove it?! I don't think I'll do lifters now, tight budget. Thanks for all the good posts and especially the gasket numbers.

I don't know if the Hotcam requires stiffer springs or not. If you do replace the springs the heads will have to be removed, which the intake will be off at that point. There is a way with compressed air to change the springs, but I would just remove the head(s).
Posted on: 2011/3/11 14:33

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

"I don't know if the Hotcam requires stiffer springs or not. If you do replace the springs the heads will have to be removed, which the intake will be off at that point. There is a way with compressed air to change the springs, but I would just remove the head(s)."
A couple of months ago I replaced the springs with springs recommended for the hot cam when I did the 1.6 rr's, I was able to do it with the heads on using my air compressor and a simple valve spring tool which worked great. I really noticed a nice sotp power increase from the headers and the 1.6's.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 17:18

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I used pen magnets for the hotcam swap in my L98.
Didn't know about the "tappet tool" or I would have used that instead.

Attach file:

jpg  magnets II.JPG (107.42 KB)
1735_4d7a6a174ba61.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2011/3/11 18:30

rklessdriver Re: LT4 Hot Cam??
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

1. The tool from Anderson M/S for pulling up the lifters should work fine. GM and Ford use the same type of dogbone guided lifter and if you didn't have a mic you'd be hard pressed to tell 2 of them sitting side by side apart.

2. Your probally going to have to pull the radiator and fans in a 93 to get the cam out.

3. I use RTV (Ultra Grey) or Right Stuff in the 4 corners of the pan gasket. The PN's Bill gave you are good to go but you could just buy the Fel Pro conversion set PN CS9966. BTW the pan will come off in the chassis but you'll have to rotate the crank over so that the front counterweight is up in the block and sometimes people have to jack the motor up a bit.

4. Yes you'll need a 3 jaw puller to get the crank timing gear sprocket off. You can also take a chisel and break it pretty easily by hitting it just over the keyway slot and then pull it off by hand if your going to replace it with a new one. BTW there is no way to upgrade the chain in a 93 without converting it over to a late model "pin drive" optispark set up.

5. I just use a socket the right size and a steady hand to drive them in.

6. Bosh 3's stock flow rate will be fine for a Hot Cam in an otherwise stock engine.

7. MSeven here can do you a tune or Brian at PCM4less. The Hot Cam is a popular upgrade and most tuners have lots of experience with it. A mail order tune should be able to hit it right off the bat.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 18:44

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

sixstring1 Re: LT4 Hot Cam??
Guru Newb
22 Posts

checkout paceperformance.com they have the whole kit for 819.95- i want to do this also but i will see if i can change the waterpump with out any hard problems first LOL..also i have read alot of tuning problems when doing this so i am leary of doing this now.. please pm me when you complete it i would like to know.youtube has some examples of lt1 hot cam installs and what they sound like.. good luck..
Posted on: 2011/3/11 18:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
4. Yes you'll need a 3 jaw puller to get the crank timing gear sprocket off. You take a chisel and break it pretty easily by hitting it just over the keyway slot and then pull it off by hand if your going to replace it with a new one. BTW there is no way to upgrade the chain in a 93 without converting it over to a late model "pin drive" optispark set up.

Good point Will, that change will require a new timing cover AND a new Opti.

Here's a link on pulling the crankshaft hub:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... id=119202#forumpost119202

It's really important that you put a bolt into the crankshaft before you attach the puller otherwise the puller point will be pushing on the hub and not the crank, and it will not work.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 18:59

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Not sure about a '93, but I had to raise the engine about an inch and disconnect the P.S. fitting. I also needed slightly shorter push-rods to get the right "sweep" on the valves. The contact point for the new shorter pushrod is on the left in the photo.
I also put a new A/C condenser and Dewitts radiator in since it was apart.

Attach file:

jpg  pushrods old&new.JPG (114.84 KB)
1735_4d7a70932ba6e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  new and old pushrod.JPG (122.37 KB)
1735_4d7a71703f206.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2011/3/11 19:02

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Edit: I need to do more research. I am not seeing very good reviews for this.

This timing chain should work. It is what I might use in my '92.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-93094/?rtype=10
Posted on: 2011/3/11 19:07

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Thanks for all the great info. This is a pretty intimidating job to undertake but I am thinking I will be able to do it. I definitely want to use the stock timing chain, I put a new opti on last year and can't afford to replace it now, I will have the rev limiter set to below 6 g's which is a good idea with stock pistons and a motor with older rod bearings.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 21:05

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
I used pen magnets for the hotcam swap in my L98.
Didn't know about the "tappet tool" or I would have used that instead.

Flyboy I was hoping you would chime in, I saw your use of the magnets in another thread, could you give me a little more detail on how it works? Is there any danger of the lifters rotating once they are lifted up to the head (it looks like you lifted them up to the head right?) Do you just lay the magnet retrievers down flat once you pick up the lifter,is that what holds the lifter up while you remove/install the cam? What are the ties for?
Posted on: 2011/3/11 21:09

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

The lifters are held in place by the "dogbones and "spider" and can not be rotated/removed only pulled up enough to clear the cam lobes and then held there. I jerry rigged the pen magnets by bending them and tying them. It is not the best method and would recommend the "tappet tool" as it looks like there is a provision to hold the lifter with wingnuts. Anyway the pen mags cost just as much.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 21:24

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

You won't be able to pull the lifter completely out of the block - The "dog bone" (lifter guide) will prevent the lifter body from comming up more than an inch or so...

**EDIT** Dang flyboy beat me to it by one second.

If your going to reuse the stock timing chain then there is no reason to remove the lower crank timing sprocket.
Will
Posted on: 2011/3/11 21:25

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Picture of the lifter retainers.

Attach file:

jpg  P1010003.JPG (104.81 KB)
1735_4d7a93af0e21a.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2011/3/11 21:27

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

[quote]
rklessdriver wrote:
You won't be able to pull the lifter completely out of the block - The "dog bone" (lifter guide) will prevent the lifter body from comming up more than an inch or so...

**EDIT** Dang flyboy beat me to it by one second.

Thanks for verifying that because you know a hell of a lot more about this than I do.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 21:30

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
Edit: I need to do more research. I am not seeing very good reviews for this.

This timing chain should work. It is what I might use in my '92.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-93094/?rtype=10

I found a Cloyes p/n C-3228 for the early LT1. RA has it for $90.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 22:45

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I do want to replace the timing set (chain and 2 sprockets) just want to go with the stock replacement. Thanks a ton for the photos and the RA good price $19 less than summit!
You know the thing I dread the most about all this is draining the radiator/block! Last summer when I had to replace the opti/WP when I pulled the WP even after draining rad and block antifreeze ran all over the garage floor, frame etc because some nasty antifreeze was hiding out there in the WP. I HATE antifreeze,it's nastier than oil, grease or dirt.
Posted on: 2011/3/12 2:05

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
I do want to replace the timing set (chain and 2 sprockets) just want to go with the stock replacement. Thanks a ton for the photos and the RA good price $19 less than summit!
You know the thing I dread the most about all this is draining the radiator/block! Last summer when I had to replace the opti/WP when I pulled the WP even after draining rad and block antifreeze ran all over the garage floor, frame etc because some nasty antifreeze was hiding out there in the WP. I HATE antifreeze,it's nastier than oil, grease or dirt.

Thats the same reason I was looking for the early style timing chain. Otherwise I would have to buy another opti. I always put down a piece of cardboard to help soak up what is still in the engine.
Posted on: 2011/3/12 3:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:

It's hard to get it all out. Having the front end jacked up helps a bit. And you can get more out by using your air compressor (set at 20psi or so). You can get enough seal on the radiator cap hole using just your hand with an air nozzle to blow more of the antifreeze out the drain.

It can also be done with your shopvac set to "blow" but, the vac needs to be empty, clean and it's best to remove the filter.

Sidenote: Flushing your LT1 block- the knock sensors need to be pulled, there's an amazing amount of crud behind them. But, it's a really messy job, for the driveway not the garage.
Posted on: 2011/3/12 14:21

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

"I have a LT4 HotCam chip that I'd sell cheap. It's out of a 93 TransAm, auto trans and would need to be programed and checked out (I've never run it)." (BillH)
What is a "LT4 Hot Cam chip" (sorry to be so dumb)? I might be interested.
Posted on: 2011/3/13 2:40

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/det ... +right+stuff+gasket+maker
someone talked about "the right stuff gasket maker" is this it?
Posted on: 2011/3/13 3:25

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
"I have a LT4 HotCam chip that I'd sell cheap. It's out of a 93 TransAm, auto trans and would need to be programed and checked out (I've never run it)." (BillH)

In 92-93 the computer had a removable chip. This is where the tune is stored. GM changed this in 94 and up where the chip is not removable.
Posted on: 2011/3/13 3:54

Matatk Re: LT4 Hot Cam??
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/det ... +right+stuff+gasket+maker
someone talked about "the right stuff gasket maker" is this it?

Yes. Best stuff ever for gaskets.
Posted on: 2011/3/13 11:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:

Yea, what tjpreul said. It's an upgraded chip that some guys go to when they install an LT4 HotCam. The guy to talk to here about tune is Mick (mseven).

Also on The Right Stuff, if you have a regular caulk gun at the house, you can get TRS in a caulk tube. It's way more controlable using a caulk gun. (Plus I hate those aerosol cans ).
Posted on: 2011/3/13 13:46

Josh Re: LT4 Hot Cam??
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

The right stuff sets up very quickly. Once it's out of the tube, set your parts in place as quickly as possible.
Posted on: 2011/3/13 22:14

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Hot cam came in the mail today! Yippie
Anyone know how does the oil pump gear mesh when you slide the cam in, is it easy, just slide right in or is there something that must be removed, loosened first?
PS; We need to pray for the people of Japan, how terrible, it could of been us.
Posted on: 2011/3/15 13:05

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
Hot cam came in the mail today! Yippie
Anyone know how does the oil pump gear mesh when you slide the cam in, is it easy, just slide right in or is there something that must be removed, loosened first?
PS; We need to pray for the people of Japan, how terrible, it could of been us.

You need to remove the oil pump drive stub, to remove the old cam. The oil pump drive shaft stays attached to the oil pump and the cam will slide right past it.

You would install the new cam and then reinstall the oil pump drive stub. When reinstalling the oil pump drive stub you need to look down in the engine block and note the position of the oil pump drive shaft. It's slotted across like a straight screw driver. When you look at the bottom of the oil pump drive you'll see the straight tang that connects to it. Line them up best you can and push the oil pump drive stub in the block. They rarely line up perfect when you drop the stub in, so you will need to rotate the engine over a few times while pushing down on the oil pump drive stub until it seats completely (ie the retaining bolt tab will sit flush on the block).

It's actually very easy to remove and reinstall. When yo have it out check the drive gear for abnormal wear and the plastic body for cracks. When you put it back in the motor don't over tighten the retaining bolt as you can crack the tab on the plastic oil pump drive stub body.

**EDIT**
Writing this made me think about the fact that you have an LTX... And the fact that you were trying to not remove the intake manifold... You must remove the intake manifold to get the cam out of an LTX because of the oil pump drive stub located under the manifold.

I'm sorry, I should have caught this fact earlier.
Will
Posted on: 2011/3/15 13:48

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

rkless,
Thanks a bunch for telling me, I read the FSM and don't remember the oil pump stuff, must of missed it. When I looked at the new cam I could pretty well tell it wasn't just going to "slide in". This forum is great.
And yes I will have to remove the intake, rats! Anyway I noticed that the back of the intake is leaking oil pretty bad, there is oil all down the bell housing, back of the block. I guess I will have to remove the starter to get the pan off too right?
Posted on: 2011/3/15 18:52

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Got the intake off, rad. removed with condenser and fan/rad shroud (I work really slow). The intake gaskets were saturated with oil all the way to the top of the intake ports. The intake was loose the moment I took the intake bolts out, no whack with a mallet to loosen it, the seal around the intake ports must of been very poor. The intake ports are black with oil soot. Has anyone else seen this?? What intake gaskets do other people use on a stock motor, intake port design? I have fel-pro MS95580 any one use these - good luck with them?
I would love to port match the heads to the intake. Why in the world did Chevy make such a total miss match between them when it would of been so easy to do this at the factory??? How much hp gain would this be good for? Is it enough to make a difference you can feel? Myself I doubt it but don't really know. The LT1 head intake port is 1/8" narrower at the top than the bottom!
Posted on: 2011/3/18 13:25

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
I have fel-pro MS95580 any one use these - good luck with them?

About 8k miles on mine, zero leaks using the Right Stuff, spotlessly clean surfaces, no dimples.
Posted on: 2011/3/18 13:51

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

As far as the gasket matching...I say it's a good idea, every little bit helps, but probably not anything you'll notice SOTP.
Posted on: 2011/3/18 15:20

rj92c4 Re: LT4 Hot Cam??
Guru Newb
Los angeles /south bay
19 Posts

How much more HP can a stock low miles 92LT1 get with a hot cam install?
Posted on: 2011/3/22 7:36

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

There are lots of different opinions but it is a pretty significant gain, at least 40 HP. Nathan Plenms, who used to be on another forum made 335 rwhp with the hot cam, 1.6 rr's, and LT headers on an otherwise stock motor, if you figure a 15% drive line loss that's an increase of more than 50hp to the rear wheels with stock heads, that's pretty good for about a $700. investment (if you can do the work your self).
I am ready to pull the old cam out and put the hot cam in, may be today.
Posted on: 2011/3/22 13:16

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Got the hot cam in today, what a bear!!! I could not get the motor up high enough to get the cam out. I lacked about 1/16" and the motor simply would not go up any higher. Finally used two jacks, one under each motor mount bolt with a block of wood and raised the motor that way. Now I can't get the pan down because I can't get the oil filter adapter assy. off. I have a question on the forum, hopefully someone will chime in.
My car has never leaked a drop of oil, hopefully it still won't after I put on the new pan gasket.
Posted on: 2011/3/23 1:38

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I must be slower than a turtle, slower than a snail haha! Well I got the pan off, and the new gasket on and reinstalled the pan - ABSOLUTELY the hardest thing I have done to this car, I can only hope and pray it doesn't leak.

Got the seal for the water pump drive shaft in using the "highlighter" method, it works but just barely, almost messed the seal up the second time.

The opti is on and the hub. Adjusted the lifter preload, went with 1/2 turn after 0 lash. The Scorpion roller rockers make the process much easier, there is no doubt about 0 lash.

Next I want to paint the intake the same color as the LT4, anyone know what color that is besides "red" (I already know that)? Got the intake all cleaned up and ready to paint. And I need to install the WP soon too.
Posted on: 2011/3/30 15:05

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Did you reuse the old timing chain, or go with a new one?
Posted on: 2011/3/30 15:55

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I went with a new Lunati unit, the Cloyes are 6+weeks out and not to be found anywhere.
Posted on: 2011/3/30 18:46

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Glad you got it put together! Just waiting on painting the intake and installing that? When's fire up date?

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/3/31 0:36

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I need to order a tune, but hopefully I can start it this weekend, we'll see. I need to learn how to submit photos, I'll try to work on that too.
Posted on: 2011/3/31 13:12

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I had to order shorter push rods for the proper contact with the valve stem. Got a tune ordered too.
Posted on: 2011/4/6 2:22

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Well for anyone who is still watching this thread, I started her up today with the new hot cam. It sounds really good, especially w/o the cats and otherwise stock exhaust system, just right for my taste, not too loud but just a nice growl when you step on it. The cam idles and runs good even with the stock tune, just a hint of lope at idle, not bad at all. But I have an oil leak in the front pan seal!!! What a bummer. It's pretty bad, the seal must of been squished into the pan because the leak is not small. I have come to truly hate working with that pan/gasket and it's not looking too good now.
If someone will show me how to load pix and a video I will give it a try for anyone interested.
Posted on: 2011/4/10 1:41

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Congrats on getting it all done! But I think it's all a fantasy since I haven't seen any pics yet

The best way to upload photos or video is to use a free file sharing website such as photobucket. Sign up for a free account, upload your pictures, and then use the links on the side of the screen once uploaded to show your pics!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/4/10 1:49

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Is the pan gasket leak coming from the along the rails or the corners?
Posted on: 2011/4/10 1:50

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

It's the front of the pan where the pan meets the timing cover. The leak (at least it is wet with oil) is from the center of the pan and all the way up to the block on the dr. side. In order to get the pan on I had to overlap the front of the gasket over the front of the pan, lift the pan in place then put in several bolts just barely started and then push the gasket back in the timing cover grove from the front of the engine. Otherwise the front main cap would knock the front of the gasket back into the pan every time I tried to put the pan on. I put the gasket in completely dry.
Posted on: 2011/4/10 2:29

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Glad to hear about your success with the cam, not so about the gasket. I did not replace my gasket, only dropped the pan enough to do the job. Good luck with the fix.
Posted on: 2011/4/10 2:53

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.