Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
215 user(s) are online (184 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

bogus LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I have been fighting the good fight on what to do with the engine in my 92. Part of the problem with any upgrade is the pros/cons of the project.

The con here is that the LT1 engine controllers are not getting any more common on the market, so that is a problem. They are also hard to program, with chip burns and such.

So I wanted to start a brain storming discussion and get some things sorted out in my head before I progress with this project.

I have gone back and forth on a SC 383 or an NA LS7 for some time. And after a lot of thought, the NA LS7 just seems more practical. The output is about the same, and the LS7 will be easier to get past CARB.

First off, mechanically, the install has been sorted out. There are motor mount adaptors and all that now available.

I know that Dick Guldstrand has an LSx to ZF6 adaptor, and has a sweet clutch using an hydraulic throw-out bearing. It may be the same that RAM sells, but I will find out in due course. There are others supposedly in development, but I haven't heard more on it other than that.

The biggest one is this: I will have to piggyback the existing LT1 harness with the LS7 harness, to get some very specific data elements to keep the ASR working. I want the ASR and ABS to function, along with the IP and such.

There is an option to use the original LS1 style mechanical throttle body on an LS7.

The ASR system, when active, will close the throttle body; this act will force the PCM to retard timing. So that separate instruction is gone; rendered redundant from my estimations.

The questions:

1. If you are doing a piggyback setup, only one PCM needs to power things, so if the LS7 PCM is doing the power, then the only thing that the LT1 needs is to tap into the signal line and get the result. Does this sound correct?

2. The LT1 ECM will need to be reprogrammed, because it will no long actually run the car, I don't need it to send codes back for lack of signals and stuff. All I would need from it, to keep the CCM happy is RPM, temps, TPS. AFAIK, all those sensors are still the same.

3. What about the VSS? It changed... would a signal doubler from Dakota Digital fix this? I can run the raw signal to the LT1 controller and the doubled to the LSx controller?

4. Motor mount adaptors exist. As do transmission adaptors... how do they interact? Are they a matched kit? Think about this... if the motor mount adaptors move the engine 2" forward, for example, and the trans adaptor is designed to give more space in the bell housing for the clutch, can one use the same motor mount with the ZF trans adaptor? Or does it cause the motor to move to far forward. I have been under the impression that the motor mount adaptors are more focused at the auto trans or T56 world, where fitment to the engine is not a problem.

5. I have read where the AC compressor gets in the way of the K-member. Is this true? What is the fix for this? Can the compressor be relocated?

6. I have conceptualized the dry sump moving to the battery tray on the C4. Longer hoses should'nt harm anything? Or is there a pan with left side pickups?

7. What am I missing?

Some will think I am crazy to consider this conversion, but let me put it this way:

The car is paid for. I have no desire to buy a new one. The cheapest used Z06 is $35k, with the associated increase in insurance and registration fees. For that matter, anyone can just "buy" a Z06, but to build one from a C4 strikes me as being different...

I can get a new LS7 from GM for about $14k. I suspect that means used ones are under $10k, to be honest, I would expect half.

I can't build a 383 blower motor for that money. The blower will be $5k+, the shortblock has to be strong enough, then comes the dyno tune... And heads...

Time for that famous word:

DISCUSS!
Posted on: 2011/3/28 17:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Sounds like a great project that would have lots of interest here and everywhere. I have thought this was possible but never even considered it due to the plethora of complications and headaches along the way. I have had the opportunity to check out an LS1 converted C4 up clos and personal and it is an interesting build.

I do not have the technical knowledge to ad much to this discussion but think it would be awesome when complete. IIRC there was someone that did this already and I read it in one of the magazines or on the other forum.

I know a guy in N.J. that got about 600hp from a 427 once!
Posted on: 2011/3/28 18:42

pr0zac Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

how hard would it be to convert to a 94-95 harness? to be honest its going to be a pain in the ass anyway you do it. F/I on an lt1 is a whole new difficultly because its a hack over 1 bar. but doing the 24x conversion might be something to look into but at the same time that is no easy task or cheap. and while you are at that you might as well just put an lsX in it.
Posted on: 2011/3/28 18:44

Ultraman Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

I am sure it can be done. Lots of LS stuff going into just about everything. My concerns would be the actual cost of getting it all to interface and up and running. The cost of the hardware is trackable but the tunning is hard to estimate.

The idea of piggybacking the two systems worries me, but I am a layman as far as a working knowledge of how hard that would be. Everything I have looked at they have started with all new operating systems in cars that did not use a system to begin with.

I have thought about an LS3 conversion but that is a far as I get. Good luck on it if you go that way. It would be a groundbreaking project.

I also thought about how the other components will handle the power. Even the frame. Maybe you are already set up for it but you would need to consider the bucks there if not.
Posted on: 2011/3/28 18:50

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

bogus Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

If it helps, piggybacking is the only way to keep ASR/ABS and dash functions working right. Guldstrand has done it, but as I understand, it cost the owner some $25k to do it.

That was an LS6 from a C5/Z06.

Converting to the later LT1 harness is out of the question. It would require rewiring the entire car.
Posted on: 2011/3/28 19:11

JeffK Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Wow, that sounds like a fun and maddening project.

dumb question, are there not any aftermarket ECM's that will do what needs to be done?

I wonder what this guy used. It's not a Vette but it is sweet...

Posted on: 2011/3/28 19:21

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Stupid embedding...grr

Posted on: 2011/3/28 19:22

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Even if there was an aftermarket ECM, CA CARB would puke on it.
Posted on: 2011/3/28 19:22

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Even if there was an aftermarket ECM, CA CARB would puke on it.

I always forget about the NAZI's
Posted on: 2011/3/28 19:35

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

sell it and buy another car. even though my car puts out some serious steam i would NEVER do it again. not in this platform anyway. there is alot of personal reasons why i kept my car but if i were going to do it again it wouldn't be in one of these. if my engine ever craps out its getting a mild lt4 in it and thats that. you are going to have endless problems with that much power i would love to be able to hammer a 300 shot into my engine but its never going to happen with a d44. hell i doubt it would handle a 100 shot.
Posted on: 2011/3/28 20:37

Ultraman Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

As far as engine and tranny management these guys say the have the system for that. I see these a lot in Hot Rod Mags.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/
Posted on: 2011/3/28 20:55

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

SpectatorRacing Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

INteresting. I would avoid the LS7 personally, there are better motors for much less money. Specifically, the LS6. The LS7 dry sump system is not great, it is more of a hybrid dry/wet sump system.

If you're dead set on a dry sumped motor look into the LS3 in the new Grand Sport, it supposedly was much improved as the intent was that the GS was going to be the track package. It's so easy to get power from an LSx motor that you can get the LS3 to make Z06 power for less than $1000.

I also struggle with your need to keep ASR. ABS, absolutely, but ASR? Piggybacking a mechanical traction system over a fully electronically controlled throttle seems risky. Not to mention the herculean effort.

I'll suggest the same thing you you always suggest

List your goals for the project. If you are dead set on the LS7 because it would be "super cool" then ok, but if you're just looking for a cool project that massively improves your C4 then I'd choose a different path.

I did a LOT of research on 93 to 94+ harness conversions and it's not so bad. You don't need to rewire the entire car, the painless harnesses have few connections that penetrate the firewall. I have one. I'd also consider using alternate sources for your signals. Why not use GPS for VSS? If you do tackle a project of this magnitude then let's get really creative and make a one of a kind.

I can show you how to retrofit an ABS module from another vehicle (read: more modern) and perform ABS and TCS the right way, electronically. But we're talking a few thousand for the system...

All that said, however, my suggestion: Gut the car and race it
Posted on: 2011/3/28 22:09

4543 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
For that matter, anyone can just "buy" a Z06, but to build one from a C4 strikes me as being different...

I don't know how many C6 Z06 cars you have driven but you will never build a Z06 from a C4. Not that the transplant can't be done and a bad ass car be built, but it won't come close to the refinement of a real Z06. That car truly has power and some nice refinement with more room to grow that a FrankenVette would have a hard time equaling.
Posted on: 2011/3/28 22:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
For that matter, anyone can just "buy" a Z06, but to build one from a C4 strikes me as being different...

I don't know how many C6 Z06 cars you have driven but you will never build a Z06 from a C4. Not that the transplant can't be done and a bad ass car be built, but it won't come close to the refinement of a real Z06. That car truly has power and some nice refinement with more room to grow that a FrankenVette would have a hard time equaling.

Oh, I am fully aware of that... but the engine is the heart of the beast.

This is a plan in development, I have a lot more research to do and will express what I learn here.

This is a year out, at the earliest.
Posted on: 2011/3/28 23:29

4543 Posts

I didn't mean to sound negative about the venture if you took it that way. I just think that the Z06 is a lot more than engine. However it certainly is a beast.

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Oh, I am fully aware of that... but the engine is the heart of the beast.

This is a plan in development, I have a lot more research to do and will express what I learn here.

This is a year out, at the earliest.
Posted on: 2011/3/28 23:36

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i think for the trouble its just not worth the effort. i love working on making something fast but there is no way on earth i would bother. you could get a c5 and make it just as fast and have twice the car.
Posted on: 2011/3/29 0:28

BillH Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I didn't mean to sound negative about the venture if you took it that way. I just think that the Z06 is a lot more than engine. However it certainly is a beast.

Well, it's Andy's car and his decision.

I've driven quite a few C5 Z06's on the track and for $20k, I buy a mint Z06 and put what's left in the C4 to keep as part of the collection.
Posted on: 2011/3/29 1:17

Jeffvette Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Andy, there is a better way to invest your resources than this project. I am sure it can be overcome, but the time, money and troubleshooting are going to suck.

Put a stocker back in it and be done.

If you want a LSx c4, I'll sell my 91 race car for cheap.
Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:03

Raidmagic Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

I don't understand the naysayers here. I have an LS1 in my C-4 and LOVE it. I am never going to sell the car it is just too much fun.
Now I'm not a big fan of the LS7 for reasons mentioned above and I think there can be alot more motor done for less using a different LS based combo.
Not everyone wants a C-5 some of us love our C-4's.
Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:35

tjpreul Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

Raidmagic wrote:
I don't understand the naysayers here. I have an LS1 in my C-4 and LOVE it. I am never going to sell the car it is just too much fun.
Now I'm not a big fan of the LS7 for reasons mentioned above and I think there can be alot more motor done for less using a different LS based combo.

I'm getting that same feeling from this thread. Don't mod your C4, and buy a C5?
Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:44

BillH Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Raidmagic wrote:

Personnaly, I'm not knocking the swap, just think the $$$$ are quite a bit (for my thinking). Different story with a LS1/3.
Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:45

4543 Posts

I don't think anyone is nay-saying, at least I'm not. I just think the cost of the LS7 and the engineering required to accomplish the job exceeds the benefit. However, if you don't have to worry about how much it costs and you really want the Wow Factor, then its a project worth tackling for you. Everyone has different limits to resources and time to invest. LS1-LS2 and even LS3 is going to be a lot less expensive motor to get a hold of than a LS7. I also think after the years of working on it, when completed, it would be a marvel, but I don't think this would be an overnight sensation unless you had lots of money to throw at it all at once. Additionally, IMO I'd would rather forgo the headaches and just get a nice C6Z06. I would still have my C4 which I love, and a C6 Z06 to compliment it too.
Not dissing the LSx swaps at all!!!
Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:48

Jeffvette Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

RaidMagic wrote:

Raid, I know you love yours, as I love my race car. But you didn't try to integrate with ASR. You didn't try to integrate into a CCM. You didn't try to integrate in with the factory gauges.

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I'm getting that same feeling from this thread. Don't mod your C4, and buy a C5?

Honestly, if it is so easy, how come everybody is not running a LSx in their C4? How many of these conversion projects have been abandoned mid stream or close to the end?

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I don't think anyone is nay-saying, at least I'm not. I just think the cost of the LS7 and the engineering required to accomplish the job exceeds the benefit. However, if you don't have to worry about how much it costs and you really want the Wow Factor, then its a project worth tackling for you.

Exactly. Maybe if you were building a pro touring hot rod from scratch, had no CARB to deal with, no existing ECM/CCM to try and tie into.

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Additionally, IMO I'd would rather forgo the headaches and just get a nice C6Z06. I would still have my C4 which I love, and a C6 Z06 to compliment it too.

That is the correct answer. Hell even a C5 Z06 or base C6.
Posted on: 2011/3/29 18:24

Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

Now I'm not infering it would be easy, it most certainly would not but I is worth doing. Again as I said an LS7 wouldn't be my choice but if I did use one I'd put an oil pan on it and have it drilled for a dipstick and not run the dry sump.
As for the wiring while my car is older and doesn't have those toys there are companies to help get over those hurdles.
Jared at Current Performance is a great one to talk to. He did all the wiring on Chris Mcdonald's old LS2 85. It retained all the stock gauges.

Andy you can use the stock LS air but you have to make your own mounts. For about $300 you can buy a kit that will allow you to put a sandenson compressor on the upper right side of the motor like the L-98's had. That is what I'm going to run when I put my aftermarket air in my car.
Posted on: 2011/3/29 23:06

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

So far, great feedback.

However, I need to repeat a few points from above. I don't want to sell the car. I want to prove a point.

Also, I plan on documenting the hell out of this process, so it can be done by anyone.

I know it has been done.

As for the LS7, I am not glued to it. The LS3 - eRod - is a very attractive deal. It comes with options for either drive by wire or cabled throttle (IIRC), engine harness and accessories. All designed to drop into a slot where an existing SBC sat.

And it has a warrantee.

Important to note - I don't race, perhaps road course, but not drag strips, so that doesn't matter to me.

In the past, questions have been ask about any number of topics, and people have shot them down. I am not asking for sychophants, I am asking about technical issues, and not gut feelings.

I know the task ahead, I have one already in bastet44's LT1 install. I am not hitting this one until that one is done, so I will have a lot more harness experience before that time comes - if it comes.

I do prefer the look and feel of the C4 over the later cars. Sure, they are special, but just don't light my fire. I have tried, and short of the C6 GS, nothing is doing it.

I am not married to any one idea, except the feasiblity of an LSx engine in a C4, whilst maintaining all existing factory features. In traffic here in LA, I like knowing I have ASR - in a light rain, the roads turn to ice here, and most don't know how to drive in it. It is a nice safety net to have.

I know Guldstrand has done it, and I may need to pick their brain on some of the bigger questions.

Yes, there would be a wow-factor of having an LSx conversion, and yes, it would cause me some bragging rights. And, apparently, some think this is a silly waste of time and money, and yes, you are more then likely right, but ya know something - EVERY DAMNED THING WE DO TO A CAR IS A FUCKING WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

The question is if the benefits are worth it.

So... now that we have a better idea of the ground rules - that being, I am insane and am well aware, lets get back on topic about the technical issues at hand.

This is a brain storming session, not a "let's not bother session." I already know the noes, and by continuing this discussion does not constitute that I will go out and buy an eRod motor tomorrow. Hell no. It means this discussion will be added to the knowledge base and perhaps help us all make a reasonable choice down the road.

With all of that said, Raidmagic, what are the specs of your car? I would like to hear more about your conversion.
Posted on: 2011/3/30 1:33

Josh Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Can you convert to a C5 or C6 dash cluster? That would solve the gauge issues, right?

I was looking at a C5 Zo6 cluster the other day, and it looks feasible from a dimension stand point.

Why are you hooked on keeping the ASR? Is that a requirement where you are?
Posted on: 2011/3/30 1:46

Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

Here ya go Bogus. My car was featured in Vette Magazine in Oct 2010. Here's a link to the write up.
http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp ... chevy_corvette/index.html

I did mine on a budget and am now getting around to new heads and intake. I bought a WS6 I am going to do a 6 speed swap too.
My car crossed the spent-way-too-much-money-on threshold years ago after I supercharged the L-98. I fully get where you are coming from on this point.
After banging my head against the wall and wasting a bunch on money on a guy working on the supercharged tune I finally gave up and did the swap.
It's a pretty mild LS and it is head and shoulders faster than the blown L-98. Anyway if you have any more questions please ask I'd love to talk you into doing this :tongue:
By the way, I did all of the work in my garage at home. The only things I hired out was the building of the motor and the tuning. A good friend of my is great with LSX motors so he handled those two tasks for me. Now I didn't have the problems with the ASR and such and I swapped out my digital dash years ago because I liked the look of the analog gauges but I know that it's more than possible to keep all of that.

Good luck.
Posted on: 2011/3/30 2:01

jonszr1 Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

bill boudreau has installeed a ls motor and done all the computor stuff to make it work .he also has a very good clutch set up for using the zf 6spd
Posted on: 2011/3/30 2:46
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

Raidmagic wrote:
Here ya go Bogus. My car was featured in Vette Magazine in Oct 2010. Here's a link to the write up.
http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp ... chevy_corvette/index.html

I did mine on a budget and am now getting around to new heads and intake. I bought a WS6 I am going to do a 6 speed swap too.
My car crossed the spent-way-too-much-money-on threshold years ago after I supercharged the L-98. I fully get where you are coming from on this point.
After banging my head against the wall and wasting a bunch on money on a guy working on the supercharged tune I finally gave up and did the swap.
It's a pretty mild LS and it is head and shoulders faster than the blown L-98. Anyway if you have any more questions please ask I'd love to talk you into doing this :tongue:
By the way, I did all of the work in my garage at home. The only things I hired out was the building of the motor and the tuning. A good friend of my is great with LSX motors so he handled those two tasks for me. Now I didn't have the problems with the ASR and such and I swapped out my digital dash years ago because I liked the look of the analog gauges but I know that it's more than possible to keep all of that.

Good luck.

Nice article!

I met Christopher a couple years back. Seemed like a really sharp guy.
Posted on: 2011/3/30 6:38

4543 Posts

Stephan,

Very nice article! It seems like all the right choices were made. Great find, using the two LS engines to make one.
Posted on: 2011/3/30 10:31

Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

Thanks guys, like I said I was just fed up with the car and it wasn't any fun anymore. Probably the same place Bogus is now.
I needed to get into in on a budget and got a screaming deal on the motors so I had to do it.
Posted on: 2011/3/30 11:27

Dale1990 Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

I'd love to see this project go forward! I've recently picked up an 06 Z06 and would love to have that engine in my 90. The ZF gearing is very close to the T56 so it would be just about as much fun on the street with the right rear. A C4 and an LS7 would be the best of both worlds. The feel of the 427 can't be beat for a stock engine. So much torque and so smooth up to 7k.

Best of luck!
Posted on: 2011/4/1 20:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

Raidmagic wrote:
Thanks guys, like I said I was just fed up with the car and it wasn't any fun anymore. Probably the same place Bogus is now.
I needed to get into in on a budget and got a screaming deal on the motors so I had to do it.

I am not at the "no fun stage;" I am simply trying to avoid that stage.

I have more to worry about with CARB than most of you. Yes, I have access to a friendly smog guy, but at the very least, it must past the sniffer.
Posted on: 2011/4/1 23:17

chaos Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Guru Newb
Houston TX
13 Posts

I cant believe all the negative comments. People are swapping in LSX engines left and right,even Mustang owners. I can't believe you guys don't have faith that it can be done. I am in the middle of one right now. The only 2 things that I need to figure out are A/C and ABS. Don't be discouraged bogus.
As far as cost goes, My L98 gave up the ghost. I was able to sell my modded HSR and Heads, ETC.. for the cost of the engine and trans. LSX engines are getting cheaper.
BTW I thought this was supposed to be a brainstorm not an argument.Let's focus on how we can do it and not why we shouldn't.
Posted on: 2011/4/5 14:26

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

its not an argument. its opinions. yes it can be done. yes its a great engine. but at what cost.
Posted on: 2011/4/5 16:15

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

chaos wrote:
I cant believe all the negative comments. People are swapping in LSX engines left and right,even Mustang owners. I can't believe you guys don't have faith that it can be done. I am in the middle of one right now. The only 2 things that I need to figure out are A/C and ABS. Don't be discouraged bogus.
As far as cost goes, My L98 gave up the ghost. I was able to sell my modded HSR and Heads, ETC.. for the cost of the engine and trans. LSX engines are getting cheaper.

Excellent. What year are you working with, Corvette wise? There is a guy here in SoCal, The Hose Man, or something like that, who can make a hose to fit anything.

The AC system, if pre 1990, should be fully standalone. ABS only needs VSS, which you should be able to satisfy through a Dakota Digital converter... I think they make one for this.

Quote:

BTW I thought this was supposed to be a brainstorm not an argument.Let's focus on how we can do it and not why we shouldn't.

That's my contention. All I wanted was a DISCUSSION on the technical merits. I know the potential pratfalls and financial issues that can come from this type of work.

The best piece of info to come out is the nature of the LS3 vs the LS7. Good info, what I am looking for.

And the big one, the piggybacking of the two engine controllers.
Posted on: 2011/4/5 17:23

4543 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Quote:

That's my contention. All I wanted was a DISCUSSION on the technical merits. I know the potential pratfalls and financial issues that can come from this type of work.

The best piece of info to come out is the nature of the LS3 vs the LS7. Good info, what I am looking for.

And the big one, the piggybacking of the two engine controllers.

I think all of the pitfalls and financial issues have already been discussed earlier in the thread (it was inevitable) and are out of the way now. So this thread can now live on as a reference for more brainstorming. I don't think anyone was discouraging it but questioning the feasibility. That's all. As it turns it out, it may be more feasible than a LTx rebuild! (Ask me how I know).
Posted on: 2011/4/5 18:14

Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

The AC system, if pre 1990, should be fully standalone. ABS only needs VSS, which you should be able to satisfy through a Dakota Digital converter... I think they make one for this.

Well yes and no, the ECM will still want an AC request wire to raise the idle if needed when the ac is on. Otherwise you can leave the system seperate. That is what I'm doing on my car, aftermarket air but my harness has the ac request wire built into it.
Posted on: 2011/4/5 18:44

Guru Newb
Houston TX
13 Posts

It's a 91.. I'm glad to hear about the ABS. i was already planning on buying the two Dakota Digital boxes to get tach and speedo working.
SG1-8 and SG1-5
Posted on: 2011/4/5 19:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Yea, the ABS should only need speed... so that won't be an issue. If you are getting the speedo working, tap the same signal to the ABS.

The only thing... the CCM could get ignorant. I just don't know HOW it sends it.
Posted on: 2011/4/5 19:52

Guru Newb
Houston TX
13 Posts

The Camaro PCM should be able to raise the idle I just need to figure out how to do it. I was thinking that would be the last step after it's running.
I ordered a high mount A/C bracket. I need to order a Sanden 508 compressor and figure out where to get the lines. I have F-body accessories but I'm not sure how well they are going to fit. I also might need to get a different alternator bracket. I guess we will see.
Posted on: 2011/4/5 19:56

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

@chaos - you might want to check into a shop here in SoCall called "The Hose Guy" or "The Hose Man" or something like that. He makes hoses for everything and anything.
Posted on: 2011/4/6 18:44

Guru Newb
Houston TX
13 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
@chaos - you might want to check into a shop here in SoCall called "The Hose Guy" or "The Hose Man" or something like that. He makes hoses for everything and anything.

Thanks for the info.
Posted on: 2011/4/6 22:49

Steve40th Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Without reading the whole thread, i would pick Guldstrands brain. You know they did their 93 Correctly, with 6 speed and LS-6. Looked factory. I bet they got help from GM too.
The LS-7 is a great idea, 427, 6 speed. Sweet.
I would first get the suspension and driveline ready to handle the engine. That way you are prepared as it is a torque monster, as well as high HP engine.
Its a hobby, and its better than drugs or alcohol, so do it the way you want as it is your car.
Posted on: 2011/4/6 23:13

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Without reading the whole thread, i would pick Guldstrands brain. You know they did their 93 Correctly, with 6 speed and LS-6. Looked factory. I bet they got help from GM too.
I would first get the suspension and driveline ready to handle the engine. That way you are prepared as it is a torque monster, as well as high HP engine.
Its a hobby, and its better than drugs or alcohol, so do it the way you want as it is your car.

i know without a doubt that a d44 is not going to hang with a blown 427. i don't care what you do to it.
Posted on: 2011/4/7 6:03

Steve40th Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

Steve40th wrote:

i know without a doubt that a d44 is not going to hang with a blown 427. i don't care what you do to it.

I dont recall me saying anything about a blown 427 and a D44. I thought he is talking 427 NA (LS-7)in this thread, that is why I said, "without reading the whole thread".
I have seen D44's run mid 10's, with no issues, but that is beside the point
Posted on: 2011/4/7 6:08

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:

The D44 has been noted to deal with upwards of 600hp.

However, that's 600hp released violently. I have no intention of drag racing this car - EVAR.

I mean, I may do a jaunt down the strip... once... get banned for going to fast and be done.

And on the road course, you are driving differently, so the D44 should be a-ok.

I know D44s can blow... but I have heard of more C5's puking their rears and trans cases than D44s.
Posted on: 2011/4/7 6:43

Guru Newb
Houston TX
13 Posts

I started my swap thread at LS1Tech
91 Corvette LSX Swap
Posted on: 2011/4/8 14:24

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Cool! I will check that thread later today! THANKS!
Posted on: 2011/4/8 16:22

3d87c4 Re: LS7 in a C4 - A brain storming session
Guru Newb
1 Posts

I've been brainstorming/dreaming about this lately too.

You might want to talk with Vetteaid---they offer a lot of the bits & pieces needed, including a custom wiring harness. It was interesting just talking with them.

Without any traction control I've been keeping my ambitions in the LS6/LS3 territory. You might consider going the LS3/E-Rod route for CARB compliance then supercharge---kind of a C6 path.

I've checked out a few C6 part-out posts and they seem to be asking a lot for LS7's.
Posted on: 2011/4/14 22:40

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.