Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
243 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

RestoMod57 EVAP System Questions
Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

My project is powered by a 1999 LS1 and I want to install the complete EVAP system. I have the FSM for '99, and it says there is a "Fuel Tank Vent Valve". Other sources call this the "Evap Cannister Vent Solenoid".

Looking online at various GM parts sites, none of them list this part. I assume the part vents the fuel tank when re-filling, but I'm not sure - any help on this is appreciated.

I already have the purge solenoid, mounted on the left side of the engine, above the cylinder head. I will buy the Evap Cannister and plumb the lines with stainless.

FSM says the PCM uses the input from the fuel tank pressure sensor to open and close both the vent and purge solenoids - so I probably need this sensor as well.

My project has a '57 Corvette body and fuel tank. There is one vent tube on the tank, and I assume this is connected to the purge side of the system. But where does the vent solenoid go?

If anyone has information on the best ways to proceed, and where to source parts, I appreciate it.
Posted on: 2011/4/1 17:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: EVAP System Questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Jason at Vette2Vette would be my first stop.
Posted on: 2011/4/1 19:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

tjpreul Re: EVAP System Questions
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

What is the PCM out of? This may make the difference. I have a '96 Blazer that uses a vent valve, but there are no wires to the tank (except the fuel pump). On my '03 S-10 there is the fuel tank pressure switch, which is almost like a MAP switch. Anyway both vehicles are built on the same platform, but there are two different setups.
Posted on: 2011/4/1 20:26

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

RestoMod57 Re: EVAP System Questions
Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

PCM #12200411. It is for 2002 Corvettes, T/A, IROC, and trucks.
Posted on: 2011/4/1 20:38

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:
PCM #12200411. It is for 2002 Corvettes, T/A, IROC, and trucks.

Alright I called to double check, and it won't matter on the PCM. My trucks are set up different from each other, but have all of the same components. I will need to double check, but I thought FTPS was removable on the '03. What fuel pump are you using? The tank might have to be modified to fit the pump for the LS engine. This is where the FTPS will be located.
Posted on: 2011/4/1 21:18

Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

The fuel pump came with the tank from Rock Valley, and it's for LS engines. I'm going to remove the pump and see if any FTPS is attached. Will get back here when I know. Thanks.
Posted on: 2011/4/1 21:39

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:
The fuel pump came with the tank from Rock Valley, and it's for LS engines. I'm going to remove the pump and see if any FTPS is attached. Will get back here when I know. Thanks.

I did double check on my truck and the FTPS is removable, but is located on the fuel pump. Here is a link to what the vent valve on the tank looks like. There are two canister purge valves one will open while the other closes. They will not be located on the tank (one by/on the canister, one in a remote location).

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/sea ... MC&model=Jimmy&vi=1164721
Posted on: 2011/4/1 21:45

Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

I pulled the fuel pump from the tank. It's a Walbro GSS-340 model. A quick search led me to this Lingenfelter site.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merch ... -GSS340&Category_Code=C75

The description:
"Walbro GSS340 EFI fuel pump
Description:

centrally located 22 mm inlet

internal fuel pressure check valve

internal pressure relief valve
in tank style pump

255 LPH pump (rated at 43 psi and 13.5 volts)

Can be used with the following wiring harnesses (not included):

94-615 (Universal wire harness with Walbro GSS pump connector one end)
94-668 (Walbro GSS pump connector to GM style connector)

This Pump is not the pump used in the LPE C5 fuel pump PN LN0065. It is not compatible as a replacement for the C5 Corvette."

That last part is cause for concern. Looks like I'm on the phone next week to Rock Valley. They need to explain to me why exactly I have a pump that is not compatible with my C5 LS1!!

It may be that since my project is a non-stock hot rod, they assumed the EVAP would not be made functional. I talked to them this week and they said most people just run a hose out the back of the vehicle for venting. That seems like a smelly way to do it. I'll post the outcome of the call. Thanks for the help.
Posted on: 2011/4/2 15:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.