Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (195 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  700R4
4-speed overdrive automatic transmission from 1982 to 1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

KyVaderVette BOSE system
Guru Newb
Louisville, KY
28 Posts

It's awsome that there is a board dedicated to just Audio...I'm still learning about the BOSE system installed in my soon-to-be picked-up '95 Vert...I hope that it sounds good enough (at least at first) to just enjoy it, but what I've seen so far tells me that the factory wiring isn't that good, and I was surprised to find out that such a good system doesn't even have a sub...Anyone like to provide their opinion on the factory-installed system? Does it at least have some sort of amp? Suggestions for simple/non-expensive improvements? Just looking for general info right now, and thanks for any imput.
Posted on: 2011/4/26 0:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: BOSE system
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

For the *average* person the Bose system is fine. The problem with the Bose system is the speakers have individual amplifiers built in and the reference signal from the head unit does not match a standard aftermarket unit. When the amps start to go bad it can get very expensive to rebuild them. You can get an adapter to put an aftermarket HU in and use the Bose speakers, but as I stated once they go bad, it's pricey. Once it stops working or if guys want to improve the quality it usually involves a new head unit and four new speakers. Good idea to run new speaker wire, as well.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/4/26 1:38

KyVaderVette Re: BOSE system
Guru Newb
Louisville, KY
28 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
For the *average* person the Bose system is fine. The problem with the Bose system is the speakers have individual amplifiers built in and the reference signal from the head unit does not match a standard aftermarket unit. When the amps start to go bad it can get very expensive to rebuild them. You can get an adapter to put an aftermarket HU in and use the Bose speakers, but as I stated once they go bad, it's pricey. Once it stops working or if guys want to improve the quality it usually involves a new head unit and four new speakers. Good idea to run new speaker wire, as well.

Matthew

Actually, the car I bought doesn't have the original factory-installed head unit..The dealership installed a brand-new Kenwood unit with ipod hookup, and I'm assuming since they did that, they would've/should've put in this adapter so it would work properly, but I don't know for sure yet...Sounds like I should plan on some new, high-quality speakers asap...Thanks for the info.
Posted on: 2011/4/26 2:06

1Fast04Vert Re: BOSE system
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Do the muffler delete and put in a set of long tube headers.
The radio won't matter because you won't be able to hear it anyway.
Posted on: 2011/4/26 2:10

bogus Re: BOSE system
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am not a fan of adaptors... and the verts have so little space for subs.

What you can do...

... install seriously good speakers in the front
... add a nice amp
... subs in the rear speaker enclosures

oh, did I mention, gut out whatever is left of the Bose?
Posted on: 2011/4/26 6:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
Louisville, KY
28 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I am not a fan of adaptors... and the verts have so little space for subs.

What you can do...

... install seriously good speakers in the front
... add a nice amp
... subs in the rear speaker enclosures

oh, did I mention, gut out whatever is left of the Bose?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here....Of course, I'll wait to actually hear it first...Maybe it'll do temporarily, but I doubt I'll be able to wait for too long to make it sound very awesome!
Posted on: 2011/4/26 18:16

bogus Re: BOSE system
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

You also have to realize that subwoofers are a rather new addition to the car world. The factories were loathe to put them in because of the perception of hip-hop rappers and stuff.

My 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC had a sub in it... HA! A 5x7 with a small amp in a marginally sealed box. They had the audacity to call that a sub!

I am looking into this:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=245

... as a sub solution. A shallow box would fit in the rear bin and serve as a storage medium for the amp, if done right. There is also the added volumn of the existing speaker boxes - think about this for a minute - a shallow box, that fits ABOVE the existing speaker enclosures, with a 13.5" driver! Whoa.
Posted on: 2011/4/26 19:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
Louisville, KY
28 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
You also have to realize that subwoofers are a rather new addition to the car world. The factories were loathe to put them in because of the perception of hip-hop rappers and stuff.

My 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC had a sub in it... HA! A 5x7 with a small amp in a marginally sealed box. They had the audacity to call that a sub!

I am looking into this:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=245

... as a sub solution. A shallow box would fit in the rear bin and serve as a storage medium for the amp, if done right. There is also the added volumn of the existing speaker boxes - think about this for a minute - a shallow box, that fits ABOVE the existing speaker enclosures, with a 13.5" driver! Whoa.

Whoa is right! That's definitely a solution to the space problem....Awesome!
Posted on: 2011/4/27 1:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.