Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
222 user(s) are online (184 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Audio  >  92 CDM
 Register To Post

4merfigur8er 92 CDM
Guru Newb
4 Posts

Can anyone tell me how to test a 92' convertible bose cdm when it is out of vehicle? Thanks
Posted on: 2011/5/22 20:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 92 CDM
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

short of connecting it back to a car, or having the diagnotics tools, no.

This is how the system works:

The head unit is a dummy controller. It has the CD player and/or tape player and display, but that's it.

The CDM has the receiver module and the output side. If it is the Delco unit, the output would consist of a low power, high level amp.

The Bose version has a low level, low power signal for the bose amps.

As an aside, the head units are ignorant to which CDM they are plugged into. It would be no trouble to put the Bose head unit onto the basic Delco CDM and gain a CD player. Expensive... and it would still sound like crap, but doable.

Welcome!

Ice skater?
Posted on: 2011/5/22 21:24

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

4merfigur8er Re: 92 CDM
Guru Newb
4 Posts

You seem to know 50 times what I do on this. I had my cd and radio unit fixed. I put two capacitors in one of my front speakers. Before I put the capacitors in you could barely hear anything. Now with the new capacitors in the left front speaker it is a little louder but not like it should be. My cdm is actually still in the dash. What do you recommend next if you don't mind spoon feeding me. Thanks in advance. Ted Samuels
PS-My unit has the cd and the casette player on it. Does this require a different cdm? Is there an advantage to using a delco cdm/and does that work? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. i understand the bose sounds like shit but this is a real nice car that I want to keep original. Thnaks
Posted on: 2011/5/24 1:24

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Original is understood and appreciated.

The CDM is located in the left rear storage bin, behind the driver seat, IIRC.

You could convert to a Delco CDM, but you would also need to change the harness and the speakers, not worth it, really.

The CDM is based on weather you have Bose or not. If the system is quiet on one speaker, I would suspect the amps before the CDM. It has a tendency to just quit, not fade away... one speaker at a time.

Remember, with the Bose, the CDM is not an amplifier, it is a signal generator. So no real power is generated. The amps on each speaker are 1 ohm stable and put out about 50 watts each. What that means is this: Most car amps are rated at 4 ohms, some amps will say they are 2 ohm stable, blah, blah, blah... what does it all translate into? It allows for a normally small amp, one that would only put out 12.5 watts, to put out 50 watts!

I would suspect that the failed cap in the other speaker may have damaged something else on the board. Whey they blow, they can do that. The goo is caustic.

I would consider sending the quieter amp in for service before blaming the CDM.
Posted on: 2011/5/24 1:52

Guru Newb
4 Posts

I guess I should have made things plainer. My bad. I don't get any sound from any of the speakers. The amps don't smell or look bad at all. I just read somewhere on line to replace the two large capacitors. It helped a little but not much. Thanks Ted
Posted on: 2011/5/24 2:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

are you getting sound from the rear amps?
Posted on: 2011/5/24 2:30

Woodstock Re: 92 CDM
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

That is a CDM fault. I've got 2 of those CDMs with the same symptoms. I switched just about every part from a known good CDM to the bad, except the ICs and what seems to be an amplifier-IC with some 12-16 legs in upright position.

Would be great to see a returned CDM from those repair guys, with an open view to the circuit board to find out what they did.
Posted on: 2011/5/24 12:06

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

So that IS a failed CDM? I thought it was a work or no work thing.
Posted on: 2011/5/24 16:01

Guru Newb
4 Posts

Bogus-I reallly appreciate your help on this. I will see if I can find the CDM and pull it out and send it to get it fixed. Hopefully someone gives more than one year warranty on them. I will definitely let you know what is going on. Not sure when I will get the cdm out as it keeps raining here and I can't get the vette in my garage as I do metal art in there and don't have the room. But I will keep you abreast of what happens. Thanks so much. Ted
Posted on: 2011/5/24 16:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ted - Dr Don's is one of the best places to get this thing fixed.
Posted on: 2011/5/24 17:21

screamin_conure Re: 92 CDM
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
The CDM is located in the left rear storage bin, behind the driver seat, IIRC.

Before the OP spends too much time looking for the CDM behind the driver's seat, isn't it housed inside the passenger-side dashboard? Or is the dashboard location only for coupes?
Posted on: 2011/5/24 17:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

They moved it about... and in 1992, on the vert, it should be in the left rear bin.
Posted on: 2011/5/24 18:42

screamin_conure Re: 92 CDM
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

That's what I love about this forum; you learn something new every day.
Posted on: 2011/5/24 19:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

No kidding! I still haven't gotten a complete grasp of where the CDM is from year to year to coupe to vert... it's either behind the glovebox or in the left storage bin...

Take a shot at the storage bin first!

Then the dash... either way, it's a silver box about 8" long and 2" square.
Posted on: 2011/5/24 20:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.