Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
174 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Weather Stripping
It should be soft and pliable. Tears, rips and holes are red flags that the seals are bad.

Corvette weather stripping is a known problem. Replaci...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

-=Jeff=- 90-96 front Bose boxes
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Anyone know what size they are? meaning the air space of them

I have an idea to improve the front mounting of my speakers and I think these might work for the project
Posted on: 2011/6/7 3:32
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 90-96 front Bose boxes
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

meh. They so torture the air... Do you have one of those boxes? If so, seal it up real tight and fill with water. From there you will get volume.
Posted on: 2011/6/7 6:08

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

-=Jeff=- Re: 90-96 front Bose boxes
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
meh. They so torture the air... Do you have one of those boxes? If so, seal it up real tight and fill with water. From there you will get volume.

how so in torturing the air? is it the port? or??

I have like 4 or 5 of these boxes..
Posted on: 2011/6/8 2:03
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Bose makes their sound by taking average drivers and piss poor amps and putting them in cabinets that torture the air to make it do what they want.

That is why they sound so flat (at least to my ear). The response of the port job is very limited, versus the response of a good driver.
Posted on: 2011/6/8 2:10

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

I see,

I was looking at the boxes as an easier way to get my drivers in an actual box without reinventing the wheel, although it sounds like building the new box would be better
Posted on: 2011/6/8 2:18
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

BillH Re: 90-96 front Bose boxes
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
That is why they sound so flat (at least to my ear). The response of the port job is very limited, versus the response of a good driver.

My Bose sound awesome.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-03-21 14-03-28_0001.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/6/8 14:28

KandBCorvette Re: 90-96 front Bose boxes
Gold Sponsor Vendor
20 Posts

Andy, apparently have not heard a system in complete working order. A 15-20 year system will not sound like one with all new parts. A good BOSE system can do eveything but play "boom box" music.
Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Ken,

When I got my 92, it was only 8 years old and the Bose seemed to be in good order.

I am just an audiophile and demand more than what Bose can produce.

Music is a tapestry that runs the gambit from highs and lows; from the crisp sound of a cymbal, to the punch of a synthesized bass pedal. From the falsetto of the Beach Boys to the growl of Metallica. And everywhere in between.

(oh, if you haven't heard it yet, the Beatles Remastered is absolutely art work)

Several years ago - 1998 - my then gf and I went into the local Bose outlet. I brought with me the soundtrack to the movie Titanic. Now, a few days earlier, we were cruising along in my car, 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC with the following audio system:

Alpine CDA-7939 head unit
Alpine ERA-G320 EQ
Butler Tube Driver 1500 (2 channel, 150w per)
Acoustic POS for the rear fill
Rockford Fosgate 500m (1 channel, 500w mono) for the sub
10" Alusonic sub, dual voice coil in a sealed box (box made of 3/4" MDF, fiberglassed into the trunk).
Front stage: Canton Pullman RS3 (still have these) 3-way components, 6"/4"/1", with passive crossx.
Rear stage: Canton Pullman RS2, 2 way components, 5.25"/1"

I put the CD in. The music starts with the opening lilt of the simple recorder. This is the music that accompanies the ship as she firsts leaves port. I had suspect there was some bass in there, just having heard the soundtrack in the theater, but her little Sony box thing had no chance of finding it. Well... that system found it... when the bass pedals started, the car literally shook! She about leaped out of her seat and asked, "What in the hell was THAT?!" I said, "what you have never ever heard. Sub bass. I felt it was there, but up to this point, no audio system was reproducing it. Either by choice or by capability."

We are going into the Bose store with the CD (repeating from above, sorry) and I put the CD into the CD player for one of their Lifestyle systems. The ported sub box uses 2 5.5" nominal drivers, physically running at a frequency that is most effective for them, but the porting then slows the response down and makes a pair of speakers running at 1500 hz all of a sudden subs! HA!

It just doesn't work! All bass response dies at about 55~60 hz, give or take. Those bass pedals? Not even close.

Top that off with dubious highs and suspect mids, my dislike for Bose becomes apparent.

My current setup:

Head: Alpine CDA-7998
Front Stage: Canton Pullman RS3
Rear stage: none
Sub: JL Audio 10W3V2, 10" dual voice coil, sealed box, 3/4" MDF
Amp: JL Audio 500/5, 100x2/25x2/250x1

I really want to upgrade the amp(s).

My overall theory on car audio is simple: it's a small place, it's a noisy place, you need power and speakers with excellent off axis performance. When done properly, it should sound much like a good set of expensive headphones. Balanced, warm, intimate.

I don't come to opinions like this lightly. I learned as a child that I had hearing issues. As a young boy, I spent much of the time from about 3 years old to 6 years old with ear infections. My ear canal goes up at a funky angle, some 40* according to my doctors; most only go up at 10*.

When I was a tweener, I learned I could tell which TV was going to die first, because I could hear the horizontal output transistor screaming!!! I also learned that me and cheap audio did not get a long, at all. Cheap audio is just too harsh and brassy for my ears to enjoy.

Just so you all know I am not just some nut with a bone to pick. I have no grudge against Bose, I just don't like their sound. I know many do, and that's fine! Enjoy!
Posted on: 2011/6/8 16:48

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

I still think I could try out the OEM box with a couple mods to see how it works..

pretty simple to do
Posted on: 2011/6/9 4:01
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

JeffK Re: 90-96 front Bose boxes
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I pulled mine out the other night. Someone had a Kenwood 5-1/4" inside the Bose box. I had to cut the box apart at the seam to get that piece of crap speaker out of there.

I've got some decent Boston components going back in there. I just have to figure out how I'm going to get the driver into the box and where to put the tweeter. Thinking about mounting the crossovers in the glovebox.

Jeff, what did you end up doing with yours?
Posted on: 2011/6/14 13:02

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Jeff,

I have not done anything with them yet. but I have a 4" and tweet in the front now in a baffle I made that I had in my 89.

it has been modded to fit behind the OEM grill of the 90

Resized Image

Resized Image

These are not perfect so I was wanting to try the speakers in the OEM bose box. all I need to do is make 2 speaker ring adapters for each box..
Posted on: 2011/6/14 13:55
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I was thinking about cutting the front off the Bose box and mounting a piece of MDF to the front of it then put the speakers in that. I guess I could make a wedge box out of 1/2" MDF to replace it. I wish I had fiberglass skills.
Posted on: 2011/6/14 14:29

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

my boxes are wood that are there now.. I too wish I had the fiberglass skills
Posted on: 2011/6/14 15:40
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

wood is the best, really. If you coat the wood in fb resin, you are perfect!
Posted on: 2011/6/14 20:51

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I need to go to HD for some paint and spackle this weekend. I might pick up some MDF to try making a set of these.

Thanks for your input fellas!
Posted on: 2011/6/15 12:15

BillH Re: 90-96 front Bose boxes
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
I wish I had fiberglass skills.

Fiberglass isn't that hard, a couple of tools (even homemade) is all you need.
There's a couple of tricks to make it easier but all in all, it's hard to screw it up.

It is however, very messy, has bad fumes and requires a lot of sanding.
Posted on: 2011/6/15 14:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

oh, man... it stinks... and the chemicals will get hot as they set up.

I just don't like the resonance of fibreglass. That's why I prefer to coat wood in resin. It has the strength, but without the dull thud.

The other option is fabric; use a strong cotton based flannel and then coat in resin. It will create a strong but acoustic more neutral effect.
Posted on: 2011/6/15 20:05

screamin_conure Re: 90-96 front Bose boxes
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Ken,

When I got my 92, it was only 8 years old and the Bose seemed to be in good order.

I am just an audiophile and demand more than what Bose can produce.

Music is a tapestry that runs the gambit from highs and lows; from the crisp sound of a cymbal, to the punch of a synthesized bass pedal. From the falsetto of the Beach Boys to the growl of Metallica. And everywhere in between.

(oh, if you haven't heard it yet, the Beatles Remastered is absolutely art work)

Several years ago - 1998 - my then gf and I went into the local Bose outlet. I brought with me the soundtrack to the movie Titanic. Now, a few days earlier, we were cruising along in my car, 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC with the following audio system:

Alpine CDA-7939 head unit
Alpine ERA-G320 EQ
Butler Tube Driver 1500 (2 channel, 150w per)
Acoustic POS for the rear fill
Rockford Fosgate 500m (1 channel, 500w mono) for the sub
10" Alusonic sub, dual voice coil in a sealed box (box made of 3/4" MDF, fiberglassed into the trunk).
Front stage: Canton Pullman RS3 (still have these) 3-way components, 6"/4"/1", with passive crossx.
Rear stage: Canton Pullman RS2, 2 way components, 5.25"/1"

I put the CD in. The music starts with the opening lilt of the simple recorder. This is the music that accompanies the ship as she firsts leaves port. I had suspect there was some bass in there, just having heard the soundtrack in the theater, but her little Sony box thing had no chance of finding it. Well... that system found it... when the bass pedals started, the car literally shook! She about leaped out of her seat and asked, "What in the hell was THAT?!" I said, "what you have never ever heard. Sub bass. I felt it was there, but up to this point, no audio system was reproducing it. Either by choice or by capability."

We are going into the Bose store with the CD (repeating from above, sorry) and I put the CD into the CD player for one of their Lifestyle systems. The ported sub box uses 2 5.5" nominal drivers, physically running at a frequency that is most effective for them, but the porting then slows the response down and makes a pair of speakers running at 1500 hz all of a sudden subs! HA!

It just doesn't work! All bass response dies at about 55~60 hz, give or take. Those bass pedals? Not even close.

Top that off with dubious highs and suspect mids, my dislike for Bose becomes apparent.

My current setup:

Head: Alpine CDA-7998
Front Stage: Canton Pullman RS3
Rear stage: none
Sub: JL Audio 10W3V2, 10" dual voice coil, sealed box, 3/4" MDF
Amp: JL Audio 500/5, 100x2/25x2/250x1

I really want to upgrade the amp(s).

My overall theory on car audio is simple: it's a small place, it's a noisy place, you need power and speakers with excellent off axis performance. When done properly, it should sound much like a good set of expensive headphones. Balanced, warm, intimate.

I don't come to opinions like this lightly. I learned as a child that I had hearing issues. As a young boy, I spent much of the time from about 3 years old to 6 years old with ear infections. My ear canal goes up at a funky angle, some 40* according to my doctors; most only go up at 10*.

When I was a tweener, I learned I could tell which TV was going to die first, because I could hear the horizontal output transistor screaming!!! I also learned that me and cheap audio did not get a long, at all. Cheap audio is just too harsh and brassy for my ears to enjoy.

Just so you all know I am not just some nut with a bone to pick. I have no grudge against Bose, I just don't like their sound. I know many do, and that's fine! Enjoy!

Hey Andy, you're serious about your music! Wow! Are you also a musician? I hang out with a few musicians and sound engineer types (I play a little guitar myself) and this post sounds just like conversations that we often have.
Posted on: 2011/6/17 13:45

Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

A question pertaining to the original post: Will a standard 4" car audio speaker fit into the port that the factory Bose speaker rides in (talking about the front kickpanel speakers).

I've been eyeing up the next step in my Bose rip/replace project, and it looks like standard 6.5" speakers will fit just fine in the rear boxes, but I lifted my sill cover over the weekend to get a look at the front speakers. They appear to be 4", but are kind of triangular in shape and I'm just wondering if a standard 4" round speaker will still fit.

Thanks!
Ron
Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:28

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Quote:

screamin_conure wrote:
A question pertaining to the original post: Will a standard 4" car audio speaker fit into the port that the factory Bose speaker rides in (talking about the front kickpanel speakers).

I've been eyeing up the next step in my Bose rip/replace project, and it looks like standard 6.5" speakers will fit just fine in the rear boxes, but I lifted my sill cover over the weekend to get a look at the front speakers. They appear to be 4", but are kind of triangular in shape and I'm just wondering if a standard 4" round speaker will still fit.

Thanks!
Ron

yes they should although a thin adapter ring might be required.

I have an older pair of Boston 4" that will fit with a small adapter ring. I plan on mounting the Bostons in the Bose boxes at some point and trying it out..
Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:36
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Thanks Jeff! So I assume this adapter ring would need to ride under the rim of the new speaker? Just out of curiosity, what's the purpose of the ring?
Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:42

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

The ring will give you something to attach the new speaker too. You should attach the ring to the bose box and then install the new speaker and screw it to the ring.
Posted on: 2011/6/20 18:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.