Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2) 3 »
 Register To Post

flyboy Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

1 or 2 of every 10 cams I run across is not as straight as I want it to be, and I wind up pounding it straight.

Low oil pressure is a terrible indicator.

Wow! Glad I bought a GM cam, though maybe that doesn't matter. I would think the workman would notice a bent cam during installation.
Posted on: 2011/6/23 18:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

RickAnthony wrote:
Yea, I bought it for checking non critical stuff, like rotor run out ect.. just so I could have some idea on things.. but I wouldn't trust it 100% like for an engine build ect..

I bought a bunch of them. I was building and selling bump-steer gauges at the racetrack. No one even complained about those indicators.
Posted on: 2011/6/23 18:04

PeteK Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:

1 or 2 of every 10 cams I run across is not as straight as I want it to be, and I wind up pounding it straight.

Wow! Glad I bought a GM cam, though maybe that doesn't matter. I would think the workman would notice a bent cam during installation.

Your eye cannot see .005 out of straight.
The only way to know, is to check.
Posted on: 2011/6/23 20:24

Matatk Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I got a few minutes to work this morning. Disassembled the distributor shaft and checked it out. Placed it in an L bracket channel I had and set up the dial indicator. I noticed almost zero variation while twisting it in multiple places. I think any variation I got was due to the testing setup, not the shaft. I then put it against a good straight edge level and couldn't get even my thinnest feeler gauge under it. So I'm saying the shaft is good. Still haven't been able to check the cam.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/25 18:34

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:

So a cam that is bent enough to chew up the distributor gear could possibly be installed without enough difficulty to indicate something is out of whack, interesting.
Posted on: 2011/6/25 19:54

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:

So a cam that is bent enough to chew up the distributor gear could possibly be installed without enough difficulty to indicate something is out of whack, interesting.

Yup.
Learned my lesson when TPIS sold me one that cost me a motor.
Once we discovered it was bent, their reply was that the assembler is responsible to check it.
Now I do, every time.
Posted on: 2011/6/25 21:09

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Probed with a long screwdriver in the dizzy hole yesterday night and didn't get any movement front or back on the cam. I guess that's a good sign. I'll be doing some oil flushing later and installing the new drive gear, putting the dizzy back together, and buttoning everything back up later this week.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/17 0:11

Ultraman Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14730 Posts

Screw TPiS! Bastards.......
Posted on: 2011/7/17 0:34

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

hdfire Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Guru Newb
Crest Hill, IL
48 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Probed with a long screwdriver in the dizzy hole yesterday night and didn't get any movement front or back on the cam. I guess that's a good sign. I'll be doing some oil flushing later and installing the new drive gear, putting the dizzy back together, and buttoning everything back up later this week.

Matthew

Give me a call if I can be of any help. I'm off duty till Friday. Remember...IOU!!!
Posted on: 2011/7/18 3:04

RickAnthony Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

kind of a good sign, but still doesn't tell us why this is happening... still could be the cam it's self? hopefully not and this cam gear will work out well along with flushing out the oil the best you can. Also if you haven't I'd probably put a strong magnet on the oil pan to help grab any particals... crossing my fingers it lasts a while with the new gear.. if it happens again maybe we swap out the cam...

-=Rick
Posted on: 2011/7/18 4:26
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

bogus Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Screw TPiS! Bastards.......

I have found their customer service to be terse, and that's damning with faint praise...
Posted on: 2011/7/18 5:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

hdfire wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Give me a call if I can be of any help. I'm off duty till Friday. Remember...IOU!!!

I appreciate the offer, I'll let you know.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/18 11:40

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

RickAnthony wrote:

kind of a good sign, but still doesn't tell us why this is happening... still could be the cam it's self? hopefully not and this cam gear will work out well along with flushing out the oil the best you can. Also if you haven't I'd probably put a strong magnet on the oil pan to help grab any particals... crossing my fingers it lasts a while with the new gear.. if it happens again maybe we swap out the cam...

-=Rick

Hopefully the new composite "nascar" gear does the trick. If not, the motor is coming out along with the cam.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/18 11:41

joshwilson3 Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Guru
56 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Allstate Motor Club has helped me many times! Mine is unlimited towing! All C4 owners should have roadside assistance.

Is that better than AAA?
Posted on: 2011/7/19 0:32

TommyT-Bone Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

Quote:

joshwilson3 wrote:
Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Allstate Motor Club has helped me many times! Mine is unlimited towing! All C4 owners should have roadside assistance.

Is that better than AAA?

AAA doesn't offer unlimited to my knowledge. They changed the game in the past few years based on the level of service you subscribe to. I still have AAA Plus. They've been pretty good to me.
Posted on: 2011/7/19 0:48

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

So here's the update so far. I got a chance to tinker a little bit tonight. I drained the oil and didn't see anything alarming as far as debris. I did not cut open the filter. I then hillbillied it up and dumped about 15 qts of used motor oil from my truck that I had sitting in the garage to help flush anything out that might have been sitting in there. Filled it through different inlets, the oil galleys in the heads do not appear to be clogged based on how fast it was flowing out. So that's a good sign.

Refilled with oil/filter and I turned the motor over with the remote switch and watched the cam. I did not see anything unusual at the cam gear, but it's not possible for the eye to detect minute variations.

I rebuilt the distributor with the new gear and one new electrical capacitor/harness. I noticed while inspecting the old drive gears, a washer (or shim?) was stuck on the 1st drive gear that I never transferred over. It was almost invisible and appeared to be part of the gear. I made sure to install this on the 3rd drive gear.

I installed the distributor (just dropped in, not at tdc) without a gasket and checked the endplay with a machinists dial gauge (now I later found I could have used simple feeler gauges, would have been easier than trying to set up that abortion of a stand) and it read .048. I will recheck tomorrow.

Now after I did all of that I started reading some more. Decent article here:

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techart ... r_installation/index.html

That says to check the clearance between the gear and the housing which I did not do. Article says it should be 0.025-0.030 inch of clearance, but to err on the bigger side.

Resized Image

I have read that the vertical endplay on the distributor shaft should be about .006 - .010, but the article doesn't give a number. It says "how much clearance should you have? Just have some" - yeah, great answer.

Here's my question:

Can anyone confirm correct distributor shaft vertical endplay? Should it be measured with distributor in or out. If in, with or without gasket. Article above alludes to installing with a gasket and clamping down, which I might do tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/23 5:27

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, .006 - .010 is the "accepted" spec.
The stock car article @ 25-30 , I haven't heard that before.

Even a new HEI unit may have too much play out of the box.

Spec on an older one (my C2) is 6-10 (out of the manual).

Mine was at .070 before the rebuild.

Using a feeler gauge is fine. I double checked with a dial.

I also checked shaft to bushing play.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0899.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/7/23 12:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Should it be measured with distributor in or out. If in, with or without gasket. Article above alludes to installing with a gasket and clamping down, which I might do tomorrow.
Matthew

Measure it on the bench.

The measurement with it in and a gasket is only to verify that there's some play when installed (so that the disty is not bottomed on the oilpump drive tang).
Posted on: 2011/7/23 12:30

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

The end play in mine measured like in your picture is .030".
Posted on: 2011/7/23 13:21

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
The end play in mine measured like in your picture is .030".

I wouldn't have a problem running that.
Posted on: 2011/7/23 13:26

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

So the .025"-.030" clearance with the dist. out is to allow for housing expansion and the "some" vertical play with the dist. installed is for oil pump drive clearance, correct?
Posted on: 2011/7/23 14:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
So the .025"-.030" clearance with the dist. out is to allow for housing expansion and the "some" vertical play with the dist. installed is for oil pump drive clearance, correct?

The factory spec on an SBC is .006 - .010.

I've seen guys like CFI-EFI say the same for an HEI but I've never seen it in print (and haven't really looked for it).

Thers's millions of them running 25 - 30 out there, I'm sure. A bunch that I've checked were in that range.

As long as there's some play when installed, the disty shaft isn't bottoming on the oil drive. This can change a bit as gaskets get old and the disty gets clamped when reseting timing but, that rarely causes any problems.

I wouldn't change a 25-30 on a street car even it it sees the track once in a while (IMO).

It's different with a race motor where you double check everything all the time.
Posted on: 2011/7/23 14:28

istter1 Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

I have had enough problems with my 87 Clutch Hydrolics over the past year. I think I am learning a lot about the love of our Vetts by following your post here. Lots of support and kinship on this site. The help and support I have receive here is awsome.
Intrested in what is going to be the answer to your delima.

Hang in there sounds like you are a par above most people.

Hang in there

Steve
Posted on: 2011/7/23 16:08

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Well I got some distributor shims after going to 3 stores. Ended up at the specialty speed shop by my house and I was like a kid in a candy store. Anyway, I was able to knock the endplay down to about .016 with a feeler gauge and dial indicator.

Reassembled the dizzy, set tdc, dropped it in w/o a problem. Set the timing at 6* btdc. I also picked up a trans governor kit and played with that before I took the car out. Anyway, car started up no problem. Took it around the industrial park for about a mile or two and was running great - better than ever. Played with little throttle acceleration and was chirping the tires on shifts. Nice. Decided to check the WOT shift and took it up to about 5000 rpm. Seemed to break up at that point and then it started running like shit. Gurgling through the exhaust, one backfire, and was running rough, hesitating. Came home and checked the timing, spot on 6* where I set it.

Also, my oil temp started reading "lo" after I was coming home - damn it, one more thing to fix.

I did do a little datalog around the neighborhood but I don't know how to interpret the results

I'm gonna email Mick. I'm wondering if the MAF is bad again (it was a used one). Anyone know what the MAF grams are supposed to read at idle, etc?

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/23 18:34

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Also, it idled in the garage for a good 5 minutes after I came home from the first trip, and at idle it sounds great. Just under load there are problems.

I have not repulled the dizzy to check the gear.

On a good note, the fans turned on so I guess my previous thought they were not working was incorrect?

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/23 18:42

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Haven't done anything else since the last posts but ponder on the car. I know my fuel trim was a little lean, but that wouldn't cause the running issues/hesitation. I'm considering a new distributor altogether, even though I've replaced almost every part on this stock unit.

If so, I'm leaning towards the DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) #12611BK:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DUI-12611BK/

Not cheap at $300, but if it solves my problems then I don't care.

I'm not sure the stock dizzy is keeping up with the rpms and 400+ hp/tq.

Oh well, just the ramblings of a broken man with a broken car....

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/24 1:40

JeffK Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Hang on the Matthew, you will get it eventually.
Posted on: 2011/7/24 3:30

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Mick promptly emailed me back. Said maf looks ok but I'm going in/out of closed loop due to non heated o2. I'll be installing the heated one I have asap and doing another datalog.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/24 14:48

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Haven't done anything else since the last posts but ponder on the car. I know my fuel trim was a little lean, but that wouldn't cause the running issues/hesitation. I'm considering a new distributor altogether, even though I've replaced almost every part on this stock unit.

Matthew

Davis starts with a stock GM distributor, and adds a couple of electronic pieces.
I have run in the 10's with a nitrous combo with a stock disributor. You don't need a $300 unit, unless you want one.
Posted on: 2011/7/24 15:21

hdfire Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Guru Newb
Crest Hill, IL
48 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
I have had enough problems with my 87 Clutch Hydrolics over the past year. I think I am learning a lot about the love of our Vetts by following your post here. Lots of support and kinship on this site. The help and support I have receive here is awsome.
Intrested in what is going to be the answer to your delima.

Hang in there sounds like you are a par above most people.

Hang in there

Steve

Matt helped me get my car back up and running, wish I had some insight to help with his "gremlins". The guys here are GREAT!
Posted on: 2011/7/24 16:50

ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Davis starts with a stock GM distributor, and adds a couple of electronic pieces.
I have run in the 10's with a nitrous combo with a stock disributor. You don't need a $300 unit, unless you want one.

I agree, let's try to find the problem first then decide if you want the expensive dist.
-=Rick
Posted on: 2011/7/24 19:21

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Mick gave me another point to track down. He said my voltage is dipping a little low. He states the rear alternator brace also acts as an additional ground circuit. Mine is removes due to the headers. Could also be a bad diode in the alternator itself. I'm going to add an additional ground. The effect in my mind is twofold: the computer makes fuel changes based on battery voltage. I think its the power enrichment/voltage table but Mick will have to verify that. Secondly, low voltage could be causing a weak spark under load......hmmmm

Matthew

Ps - thanks Pete
Posted on: 2011/7/24 19:23

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Rick and Pete....I think I was just grasping at straws trying to think of a cause of weak ignition. But I'm going to look into the voltage issue.

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words....just want to get this solved!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/24 19:31

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Mick gave me another point to track down. He said my voltage is dipping a little low. He states the rear alternator brace also acts as an additional ground circuit. Mine is removes due to the headers. Could also be a bad diode in the alternator itself. I'm going to add an additional ground. The effect in my mind is twofold: the computer makes fuel changes based on battery voltage. I think its the power enrichment/voltage table but Mick will have to verify that. Secondly, low voltage could be causing a weak spark under load......hmmmm

Matthew

Ps - thanks Pete

Check w/ohm meter? Also, $300 dizzy? That doesn't sound like you, Matt. You feeling O.K.? Maybe getting a little frustrated? J.K. of course.
Posted on: 2011/7/24 19:32

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

...haha not like me, Joe. Frustration had officially set in by this point. But I have new leads to track down.
Posted on: 2011/7/24 20:12

bogus Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

coil? wiring to the ICM/coil? ICM itself?

just a couple of thoughts...
Posted on: 2011/7/24 23:00

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Woodstock Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

If you want to try my CS144, go ahead.
Seems like my parts list meets exactly your troubles.

MOJO for your gear, though.
Posted on: 2011/7/24 23:01

ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Rick and Pete....I think I was just grasping at straws trying to think of a cause of weak ignition. But I'm going to look into the voltage issue.

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words....just want to get this solved!

Matthew

I know, I like the new lead you have.. hopefully it's that simple..

We need to get this fixed, so we can actually get out to the strip sometime.. before my trans blows up again LoL...

-=Rick
Posted on: 2011/7/25 0:58

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Mick gave me another point to track down. He said my voltage is dipping a little low. He states the rear alternator brace also acts as an additional ground circuit. Mine is removes due to the headers.

That's interesting to know, I removed mine too. Can you just run a wire from that bolt to the block then?
Posted on: 2011/7/25 11:19

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Jeff-

I was considering that, finding a suitable ground point away from header heat and moving belts. I`m also considering the cs144 upgrade, too.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/25 14:59

-=Jeff=- Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Jeff-

I was considering that, finding a suitable ground point away from header heat and moving belts. I`m also considering the cs144 upgrade, too.

Matthew

Do the CS-144 upgrade. Absolutely worth it.. My 89 was eating the Cs130s yearly.. swapped to the CS-144 in 2000 and that same Alt was in the car when I sold it in 2008
Posted on: 2011/7/25 20:44
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Well, here's the story so far. I had a used CS144 in the garage from Axel that was too heavy to ship overseas at a decent rate. So he told me to use it on my build I took it to Autozone yesterday and they tested it and said it's bad, only putting out 13 volts or so. But they were happy to sell me a new one....yeah, thanks.

Fast forward to today. I wanted to test fit the case before I had it rebuilt. The CS144 doesn't fit the top mount perfectly due to the thickness. It's close, but not perfect, you need to grind it. I used a digital caliper and took three measurements from each alternator. Total thickness of mount, front of pulley to front of mount, and front of pulley to back of mount. I then subtracted the differences and that told me how much to cut off each side. It was very little off the front, and the majority off the back. I don't have the measurements in front of me, but I did write them down if anyone needs. But if you're doing this, it's better to take your own measurements due to production variations. I used a dremel for some shaping and a flat file to keep everything flat and straight. I covered the alternator with tape and a plastic bag, those shavings go everywhere.

Anyway, after test fitting it and making sure it was perfect, I took it to my local rebuild shop. They tested it and told me it was fine, putting out just over 14v. They said put it on the car, don't rebuild it. OK!

I still took it home and disassembled the case. I inspected the insides, and noticed some light corrosion from sitting, but nothing bad. I cleaned a little sanding debris from inside (told you, gets everywhere) and then I lightly sanded the cooper contacts on the shaft, greased the bearing, and put it back together. Make sure you get the correct case orientation when reinstalling (mark case with sharpie beforehand).

I put it in the car and success! Battery cold without starting was 12.50 volts. Battery after starting at idle read 14.57. Alternator battery terminal to battery ground read 14.7, and dash read 14.2. I'm ecstatic about that. Hopefully it holds up, but I'm sure it will. The CS144 is a far superior design to the CS130.

BTW, this is a 124a verison of the CS144. I asked the rebuild shop about the 140a upgrade, and they told me that's not a constant, it's only a peak and temporary, and I'd be fine with the 124a innards. Cool.

Before I took the case apart, I watched these youtube videos on rebuilding the alternator. Great advice/knowledge in here, I recommend watching them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdFA6WF8lVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKbX7mezuFM&feature=relmfu

Next step is the three wire O2 sensor conversion and working on the trans a bit more. I'm actually excited about working on the car again...what a great feeling.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:47

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Good Luck, Matt.

BTW, the alternator on my c2 puts out 35 amps.
Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:54

Woodstock Re: MF'r broke down....round two!!!
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Glad I could help.
With my parts gone, your troubles are probably gone right with it. At least I hope so for you.

Let's see what I can find next
Posted on: 2011/7/28 22:30

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Well later in the afternoon I got a chance to install the 3 wire O2 sensor. I will post the instructions below. I needed a switched source of power for it. Some have used the wiper motor power source but have found the power level dips during usage of the wipers which affects the O2. Some use the fan relay. There is a blue wire that is switched. I looked at this wire but it seemed kind of small gauge to me. I also probed it and it showed 11.7 volts. I'm not really sure how much the heated O2 needs, but I wanted 12+. I ended up using the switched power wire from my fuel pump relay. There are two red wires - one hot all the time, one with power through the relay when running. I cut back some insulation, wrapped the new wire and soldered it, and taped it. I soldered the input and ground wires as well. I used the convenient ground point on the back of the bellhousing. It takes a while to do this project due to the space restraints under the car with the exhaust in place. I also found why my oil temp gauge was reading "lo" - the plastic connector on the prong had melted partially off and was no longer making contact. I fixed that while I was under there with a spade connector.

So with the new alternator and heated O2 I went out for a test drive with rugrat #1. Just a short romp, got it up to temperature and wanted to test things out. A few WOT bursts to 51-5300 rpm at an undisclosed mph and I was impressed. No hesitation, no breaking up at all! Alternator read 13.7 while cruising at 1400 rpm. At idle it dropped to 13.4 at the lowest. I datalogged the whole thing and upon review the lowest it dropped was to 13.1 at full load/full throttle. And that's from the car readout, so a tick higher for actual. Per the scan, O2 never dropped out of closed loop, and fuel trim tables were running better than before. Aside from that, the cam surge was almost non-existent and idle properties were great.

Bottom line is I'm ecstatic. It's taken a while to get here, but the car is performing great. Only problem was my exhaust is loose again and I could hear the leak and it was annoying the crap out of me. I still need to adjust the trans governor, but I can tinker with that later.

I'll post some pictures later.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/29 2:30

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

This is NOT my write up for the O2, just something I copied from another member on CF a long time ago:

Quote:

Information
Enthusiasts that have installed long tube headers may find that their engines are running in opened loop because the O2 sensor is not heated to 600 degrees.
This is especially true if the O2 bung is relocated to the collector. In the case of the Hooker 2149 header, the bung is located on the #7 tube out of the box. This makes the stock O2 sensor work properly, however, the sensor is only measuring the gases from one cylinder, which can be
inacurate.

Thanks to the help of many forum members, here is some
helpful information that may ease the pain of converting the standard O2 sensor to a heated one.

Parts required:

* Bosch O2 Sensor.
This sensor is AutoZone part number 13190 and costs $43.99. This is an Autozone part number not a Bosch part number.
* 3 Female Terminal Tower. This is available at Pep Boys. Part number 85392. It costs $7.99.
The are a couple of these available. This one has leads. There is another that has no leads and you must puchase leads, insulators, etc.
* 1 Female Terminal tower, which can be cut from old O2 sensor or a new one can be purchased at Pep Boys.
Miscellaneous wire, insulation, crimps, tie wraps.

Tools Required: 7/8” wrench, pliers, 10mm socket,
crimp tool, wire cutters, wire stripper.

Procedure:

1. For those that are anal about proper procedure, disconnect positive battery connection. For the rest of us, go to step 2.
2. Disconnect old O2 sensor feed wire by carefully disconnecting clip.
3. Use 7/8” wrench to remove old sensor.
4. Install new sensor. Sensor has anti-seize on it already. Tighten with 7/8” wrench.
5. Cut lead from old O2 sensor so you do not have to mangle your car’s wiring harness. If you prefer to keep your original O2 sensor whole, you can purchase a new single connector from Pep Boys.
6. Connect 3 female tower connector to new O2 Sensor.
7. Crimp the old lead from the old O2 sensor to the wire on the 3 female tower connector that corresponds to the black wire of the new O2 sensor. Insulate well with high temp insulation!
8. Connect the old sensor lead now coming from the black wire of the new O2 sensor to the car’s O2 sensor lead.
9. The other two wires of the new O2 sensor are white.
Connect one of the corresponding wires to ground. It does not matter which one. There is a convenient 10mm bolt that connects to the engine just to the rear of the oil filter. This is a good ground.
10. Cut an appropriate length of (red) wire and crimp to the other corresponding
white lead of the new O2 sensor. Insulate the connection.
11. Connect the other end to your favorite 12V source that is ignition activated. There is a good source on the Fan Relays that is ignition triggered.
12. Tie wrap everything out of the way from the
intense heat source of the header!

Enjoy! You car will behave much
better, at least mine did! No more constant running rich due to
constant open loop.

Flame Red
Posted on: 2011/7/29 2:32

ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

AWESOME!!! Very happy it's running well and as some say mojo for the dist. drive gear I hope it last a long long time!

Maybe we'll still get it to the drag strip before winter? LoL

So will you be driving the vette to the BBQ Saturday?
-=Rick
Posted on: 2011/7/29 3:19

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Matthew, did you see it running in opwn loop on ypur scans? I still run the single wire sensor and mine seems to stay in closed loop but if it wil improve the way it runs I will do the conversion.

I'm glad ypu got yours running good finally. I told you that you'd get it figured out.
Posted on: 2011/7/29 3:19

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Rick - of course I'll be there.

Jeff - it ran in closed loop most of the time, but would drop into open loop at idle and I think under load a few times. Datamaster has a little box at the top of the screen that shows open/closed loop. I recommend the conversion with headers now that I see the difference!
Posted on: 2011/7/29 11:46

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Case size differences cs144 vs cs130:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Case opened up for inspection:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sanded and greased:

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the CS144 already filed and installed:

Photobucket

Photobucket

New O2 and pigtail ready to hook up:

Photobucket
Posted on: 2011/7/29 23:24

« 1 (2) 3 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.