Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
206 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SBC
This stands for Small Block Chevrolet. The engine debuted in 1955 and remained largely unchanged until 1986. The initials are still used today to d...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Rex_Ruby AVIC D3 install in my Ruby
Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

I was thinking about upgrading the stereo in my 1993 but I’m a complete novice when it comes to audio. As I did my research and ultimately the installation I took the following pictures and write up to document the process. Hope it helps someone! I had put up a post or two asking some audio questions, did a fair amount of reading and called on some members the vette community that I knew had audio knowledge. This research got me to a basic understanding of what I wanted to accomplish. In putting my questions out there a forum member offered me an Avic D3 for free. Thanks TIM!

So I have a nice head unit, I decided to do 6X9 3 way speakers up front and 2 8” subs in the back. From looking at pictures of other C4 installations using 5.5” speakers, researching measurements of some 6X9s and taking apart the front speaker area to take measurements I felt I could make that work. Also my thoughts were the 3 way would give me mid and tweeter. I used the Rockford Forsgate RF R1693. Others had done 8” subs but I still checked the rear areas to make the 8” JBL GTO804 subs fit. I came across a free Alpine MRV100M for the subs. I used a Rockford Forsgate Prime R 150-2 to power the 6X9s.

Here’s the start, always disconnect the battery!
DSC_2085

Original console area, I had an XM set up and a 12 disc CD changers both connected via FM modulators.
DSC_2086

Original right side front Bose speaker.
DSC_2088

Original left side front Bose speaker.
DSC_2089

Original Bose right side rear speaker.
DSC_2090

Original Bose left side rear speaker and 12 disc changer.
DSC_2091

Console bezel removed.
DSC_2094
DSC_2098

Bose head unit removed.
DSC_2100

First fitment of the Avic. Sits too far out, some of the internal plastic needs to be removed.
DSC_2101

The piece that needs to be removed.
DSC_2102

Piece of plastic is removed, I used a drill to drill holes along the edges. Be careful there are a lot of wires around that area!
DSC_2104

Test fit with the bezel looks like it was made to fit! Now the trick is to mount the unit in the dash and have it line up this good!
DSC_2103

I have it mocked in and mounted in the dash and the bezel lines up perfect! But I have no wires behind there yet. I wanted to make sure it would at least fit before doing all the wiring.
DSC_2106

Rear Bose w/o the grille.
DSC_2108

Body cavity the subs will sit in.
DSC_2117

First mock up of the rear subs, I cut some ½” MDF to test the subs fit. The bottom of the sub was touching the car body so this mock up will need some more work.
DSC_2111

Stock Bose cover over the mocked up sub. I’m trying to make this work as I’d like the rears to look stock.
DSC_2112

Adding a layer of ½” MDF on the top changes the mounting angle enough to keep the sub bottom off of the body.
DSC_2113
DSC_2118
DSC_2119
DSC_2120

Sub cavity done up with sound deadener.
DSC_2124

Left ready for sub install.
DSC_2131

Left sub installed.
DSC_2133

Right sub installed.
DSC_2132

You can see on the left side (right in pic) how I angled the MDF to change the sub’s mount angle a litte. Also you can see the 2 MDF strips in the back wall to mount the amp board.
DSC_2134

Bare Bose in the front.
DSC_2135

Wire connections on the 6X9s.
DSC_2136

I wanted to mount the 6X9s so the stock Bose grille would cover. When I mocked that up the 6X9 was sitting too far in and the magnet was sticking to the metal frame rail at the mounting location. I had to move the 6X9 out far enough so it was not too close to the metal frame rail. I was able to set this up so nothing was cut up too much and it could be returned to stock easily. Here is what I came up with using ¼” MDF and piece for the each side.
DSC_2139
DSC_2141

I covered the outer MDF with a black fabric which matches the black grille that came with the 6x9s.
DSC_2137
DSC_2138
DSC_2144

Now that the speakers are installed and the head unit mocked in it’s time to rum some wiring. I removed the drivers seat.
DSC_2145

Nice surprise here, some interior screws and bolts under the carper that must have been left there at Bowling Green!
DSC_2148
DSC_2149

Here’s the power line run in the rear. I ran a ground all the way to the battery.
DSC_2150

Power line up the frame rail.
DSC_2151

Power line out the door post to the battery.
DSC_2152

I bought a Metra kit to tap the power, ground, antenna output and antenna signal at the storage bin behind the pass seat.
DSC_2177

Running the speaker wires, RCA wires to the rear.
DSC_2189

As you saw previously I ran the 4 guage power wire up the left side of the car and all other wires ran down the right side frame rail into the back. Note: the front left speaker runs down the left side but I kept it way from the power wire as much as possible.
DSC_2190

Kind of hard to tell here but the head unit is secure. I used strapping and bent pieces 90 degrees connecting in side to the head unit and the other side to the stock mounting holes.
DSC_2193

Start wiring the amps.
DSC_2194

Almost done wiring the amps.
DSC_2196

Amps wired.
DSC_2201

One of the connections for this unit was to the reverse lights. Using the manual I thought I had it located where it comes inside the car along the rear. I was thinking it was this light green wire but I was wrong!
DSC_2200

It came up over here on the side.
DSC_2199

Finished shots.
DSC_2207
DSC_2209
DSC_2210
DSC_2211
In the end it was all well worth it. I figure I have about 60 hours into this project. I paid about $350.00 for the amps and speakers and about another $300.00 for 12 gauge speaker wire, 4 gauge power wire, RCA wires, fuse holders, wire connectors, sound deadener, MDF and misc. things. The sound it great, major improvement over stock. The nav is cool. I also have the blue tooth add on which works great too. The system also has an ipod hook up. I will probably add XM soon, I’ll have to remove the head unit to run a data wire so at that time I’ll also do the parking brake hack.
Posted on: 2011/6/25 4:03

'93 Ruby Coupe ZF6 - Muffler eliminators, Blink Blink kit and Polished ZR1 Wheels
* PA Plate: OBSSSN

'06 Lemans Blue C6 Coupe - Completely stock (wife's)
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: AVIC D3 install in my Ruby
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Excellent pics, thanks much!
Posted on: 2011/6/25 4:22

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: AVIC D3 install in my Ruby
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Looks like you really took your time and did it right! I like your solutions to making non-stock speakers fit. That's what we have to do now on our cars to get better quality sound. Great write up with pics and hope you enjoy your new setup!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/25 11:06

flyboy Re: AVIC D3 install in my Ruby
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Well done!
Posted on: 2011/6/25 17:03

bogus Re: AVIC D3 install in my Ruby
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

looks great John! You should mention that your basic research meant calling me...

How does it sound?
Posted on: 2011/7/5 19:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

j3studio Re: AVIC D3 install in my Ruby
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4246 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
How does it sound?

I vouch that it sounds (and looks) good ...

... you kids with your loud music!

Posted on: 2011/7/5 22:34

screamin_conure Re: AVIC D3 install in my Ruby
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Nice work! Looks like a killer system.
Posted on: 2011/7/7 15:42

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.