Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Collector Edition
RPO Z15.

1996 only.

Silver with black, red or grey interior.

LT1/A4 or LT4/ZF6....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus Polish Reviews
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I would like to start this, then keep it going as a sole source for polishes and opinions on them.

Here is my review of three products.

1. IBIZ - You have all seen the show at car shows and such. He is even on QVC. I bought the kit at Sebring and gave it a shot, results:

a) Shine - Very Good.
b) Cleaning - Very Good.
c) Protection - FAIL.
d) Customer Service - FAIL.
e) Ease of Use - Good.

I like the cleaning and shining abilities. However, it doesn't protect worth a damn. A few weeks ago, my top got killed by a giant crow with disyntary. A huge pile of dung, the size of my hand, splooged out across my painted top. I had two coats of IBIZ on there and once I washed the crap off, it was blatantly obvious that the wax didn't protect AT ALL against the acids. I tried their clay bar, no go. Solution later.

I sent a number of emails asking questions and NEVER got a response to any.

2. Zaino - We all have heard of it, it has near mystical powers. Time for truths:

a) Shine - Very Good.
b) Cleaning - FAIL.
c) Protection - Jury out.
d) Customer Service - N/A.
e) Ease of Use - Good.

Zaino is best for new paint. It appears to keep new nice, but don't ask it to fix stained paint. Ain't gonna happen. And you have to keep up on it... if you don't the protection fades and your in trouble.

3. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound - This is the best cleaner I have used. It removes stains and easily. Also leaves a good shine.

a) Shine - Very good.
b) Cleaning - EXCELLENT.
e) Ease of Use - Good.

So far, Meguiar's wins for cleaning.

4. Chemical Brothers - I bought an assortment of their products last year... never got around to the review. In general, meh. Not bad, not great, very average.

a) Shine - Okay.
b) Cleaning - Fair.
e) Ease of Use - Poor... too many fiddly rules and no written directions... "use this step twice, once with this pad, and again with this pad, don't exceed xxxx RPM if using a machine..." Ad nauseum.

Expensive... and just not impressive.

5. Meguiar's Pro Medium Cut and Pro Mirror Glaze - As a cleaner, kicks ASS. As a swirl remover, looks damned good.

a) Shine - The cut has a nice shine, add the Glaze very nice, add the Ultimate Wax, DAMN NICE SHINE.
b) Cleaning - What's better than Excellent?
c) Protection - Unknown
d) Customer Service - N/A
e) Ease of Use - Fair. Easy to use, just lotsa steps.

This product is designed for a rotary polisher and so I got one. A cheap shit thing from Harbor Freight. On sale for $30!! Who cares? It spins and has variable speed, is easy to use. The same looking piece of shit at O'Rielly's was $115!!!

The finish looks amazing. The green pops, the metallic pops. Just amazing.

Posted on: 2011/6/28 1:25
Edited by bogus on 2013/5/11 19:50:33

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Polish Reviews
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The 3 mentioned probably don't last that long. Especially Maguiar's Compound, I haven't tried it but I use a lot of Maguiar's (mostly the professional products).

I use Maguires Cleaner Wax on the Silverado because it's cheap.

I only use Maguiar's Quick Detailer on the racecar because the car gets sprayed with WD40 all the time.

But on the C4, the first time I used their Pro Medium Cut Cleaner then the Fine Cut Cleaner the Swirl Remover then Mirror Glaze then NTX Ultimate Wax (meh).

The fine cut cleaner is great for stains, heavy swirls, etc. Also 3M's Finesse It is very good.
If you want something for protection and that will last, you need carnauba wax.

Maguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax doesn't last either (just like the Turtle Wax Liquid).

I'll stick with the Pro products.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 1:53

bogus Re: Polish Reviews
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Updated!!!
Posted on: 2013/5/11 19:50

pianoguy Re: Polish Reviews
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I've been using Menzerna Super-Intensive Polish with my buffer, and sometimes use their glaze as well. Does a nice job with swirl removal. For wax I've been using Rejex for the past couple years - I'm quite happy with the durability. I also used Pinacle Souveran wax for a while - the shine is brilliant but it is a fingerprint magnet.
Posted on: 2013/5/12 15:10

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Calm Re: Polish Reviews
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

OH!

I thought we were reviewing Matt!

Nevermind.
Posted on: 2013/5/12 16:07

teebee Re: Polish Reviews
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

I've used a lot of different products.

1. Adams Swirl and Haze remover, does a good job either by hand or with the PC buffer. Need to follow up with Fine Machine polish and then Machine wax. Adams products are pretty good, but I think they are overpriced a bit.

a) Shine - Very Good.
b) Cleaning - Very Good.
c) Protection - OK.
d) Customer Service - Excellent.
e) Ease of Use - Not bad, Machine use is recommended

2. For wax I've used Adams Americana Paste Wax. It provides a good, durable shine. Easy application and easy removal. The shine lasts a long time. Again a good product, but a little pricey.

a) Shine - Very Good.
b) Cleaning - Very Good.
c) Protection - Good.
d) Customer Service - Excellent.
e) Ease of Use - good

3. Recently I , like Brad, have been using Rejex. Last week I clay barred the Cadillac and applied Rejex. It leaves the surface so slick, it almost feels wet. The nice thing about Rejex is you can put it on any and all surfaces....paint, glass, plastic, wheels and leaves all super slick. The bottle says "Nothing sticks but the shine", and I would tend to agree. It's not cheap $20 for a 16oz bottle, but lasts a long time and doesn't need a lot of product applied per coat.

a) Shine - Very Good.
b) Cleaning - OK.
c) Protection - Good.
d) Customer Service -N/A.
e) Ease of Use - Easy

In review, I have quite a bit of Adams products, but will probably look at other brands when these are gone. Again, they work OK, I just think there are other lines that work as good at less money.
Posted on: 2013/5/12 19:41

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Ultraman Re: Polish Reviews
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

I just clay barred my GS and used the C Magic detailer with the clay bar. Then I used the C Magic Wax which is applied to the whole car and let haze then you use the detailer to help you wipe the haze off...........

Shine....I like it, very deep and brought the silver flake out of the paint. Paint is smooth as a spanked babies butt...

Cleaning...Mmmm good I guess. hard to tell since I clay barred the car.

Protection.....to early to tell but should be good.

Customer Service....NCM is where I bought it and they are pretty good at what they do.

Ease of use......Excellent
Posted on: 2013/5/13 15:22

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

bogus Re: Polish Reviews
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Yesterday, after reviewing some instructions on how to use the rotary (again, it's been a while!), I redid the area from Saturday.

A few things, a lighter touch and a lower speed, so I did both. That removed much of the haze I had sunday morning.

I then hit it with a Maguiar's cleaner/wax (this is in a red bottle) using the rotary machine, and then the machine glaze, followed with the Yellow wax. It still looked like a million bucks this morning. No haze, no scratches... very nice!

Posted on: 2013/5/13 16:49

jonszr1 Re: Polish Reviews
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

I was fortunate enough to have made friends with a fella that does high end paint jobs . he said there are many great products out there . there are 2 keys 1 use a rotary to repair problems ie start to polish after color sanding .water spots etc. 2 use a random orbital with 3 m finesse it (it is in a black bottle with a powder blue label) for your final polish . then a good carnuba wax to finish it off. also only use the best baby diapers to wipe it all off .funny part of all of this is I have enough baby diapers to have quintuplets.lol
Posted on: 2014/2/24 6:02
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Ultraman Re: Polish Reviews
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

I have heard that Pledge furniture polish works great as a quick detailer for their cars. It's supposed to leave a deep wet looking shine...anyone here ever use Pledge?
Posted on: 2014/2/24 13:42

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Bacon grease works......and makes U hungry at the same time.
The lemony stuff doesn't make U as hungry.

Used to keep Pledge in the shop but mostly for interior stuff. Haven't used it in years.

We use WD40 on the racecars.
Posted on: 2014/2/24 14:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
then a good carnuba wax to finish it off.

That's been the best for years and years, the high tech waxes I've tried never last as long as carnuba.
Posted on: 2014/2/24 14:44

jonszr1 Re: Polish Reviews
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

pledge is what car dealers use to hide scratches on their used cars.it make your paint look great till you wash it. what pledge is great for is plexi glass.
Posted on: 2014/2/25 2:20
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.