Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
222 user(s) are online (192 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

teebee Audi R8 vs ZR1
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12359 Posts

Posted on: 2011/7/23 3:57

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Audi R8 vs ZR1
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If they bitch about Corvette build quality, they should bitch about the problems Audi's start to have at about year 3 of ownership.

Just as the Vette gets debugged, the Audi comes unglued.

At Long Beach, in the Corvette Corral, the GM mouthpiece was talking about improving materials, ala Audi and VW.

I chimed in and warned them, they feel great, but just don't hold up. Be sure what you pick is durable. He didn't realize that about the Audi/VW interiors.
Posted on: 2011/7/23 5:44

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Audi R8 vs ZR1
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Humm, the ZR1 didn't get a chance to run over a bunch of grapes, unfair comparison.
Posted on: 2011/7/23 12:43

Ultraman Re: Audi R8 vs ZR1
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14728 Posts

Geez I thought the build quality was getting better in the new cars. C7 is going to have to kick some ass.....
Posted on: 2011/7/23 14:52

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

build quality on the C6 is far better... but that is still comparing it with past Corvette's.

Is it up to Porsche 911 standards? No, and that's part of the problem with European sales. GM sells the Vette at a price point more in line with the 911, and the car just doesn't have the same built in sense of solidity that the 911 does.
Posted on: 2011/7/23 15:06

teebee Re: Audi R8 vs ZR1
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12359 Posts

He just kills me, he always hates anything American. Surprised me that he said the Corvette was fun to drive.
Posted on: 2011/7/23 16:16

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

jdtireman Re: Audi R8 vs ZR1
Senior Guru
Winnipeg
176 Posts

In any comparison he will always say the european car is better, always. When they came to the US and did a show featuring the Vette, CTSV and Challenger, they all said the Vette was an amazing car...go figure. As a C6 owner I have to admit that the interior is not the best I've ever seen, but who friggin cares? Find a bit of twisty road on a sunny afternoon and start thrashing. Get the RPMs up, make that bad boy bark some...I guarendammtee you that interior build quality will not be troubling you! They are awesome cars to drive and I count myself one lucky S.O.B. that I was able to buy one while I still have enough guts to push it and have fun. Oh yeah, his personal car is a Ford GT...I'm sure there is no bias in his reporting
Posted on: 2011/7/23 20:43

Jeffvette Re: Audi R8 vs ZR1
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

jdtireman wrote:
In any comparison he will always say the european car is better, always. When they came to the US and did a show featuring the Vette, CTSV and Challenger, they all said the Vette was an amazing car...go figure. As a C6 owner I have to admit that the interior is not the best I've ever seen, but who friggin cares? Find a bit of twisty road on a sunny afternoon and start thrashing. Get the RPMs up, make that bad boy bark some...I guarendammtee you that interior build quality will not be troubling you! They are awesome cars to drive and I count myself one lucky S.O.B. that I was able to buy one while I still have enough guts to push it and have fun. Oh yeah, his personal car is a Ford GT...I'm sure there is no bias in his reporting

He sold the GT twice! As it was a POS.

Granted the C6 interior has vastly improved. It still lags behind every other premium model. Clarkson would love the Vette if they improved the interior, gave it a non flexible back bumper and coilovers.
Posted on: 2011/7/24 0:44

Ultraman Re: Audi R8 vs ZR1
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14728 Posts

The C7 better kick some ass on all levels........
Posted on: 2011/7/24 2:36

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

and better have coil overs.
Posted on: 2011/7/24 3:24

BeachBum Re: Audi R8 vs ZR1
Master Guru
751 Posts

As already said, Jeremy is always dumping on American Cars.... but he just doesn't get them, nor does he know how to drive a car with "torque"..... as soon as he drives into a corner with anything with torque, he calls it wild and uncontrollable because he doesn't know how to finesse the right pedal driving through it. He's used to the highwinding small engine, no torque motors that he can drive through the corners because they simply do not have the torque to cause big problems.

It also bothers me when he compares the American cars against much more expensive cars and pokes at the plastic bumper.... which is the 3rd or 4th time he has done that with a corvette on the show. But, then fails to mention how much cheaper the Corvette was.... even in that video, I don't think he mentioned the Corvette price. (Approxmiately 70,000 lbs = $ 115,000) That Audi R8 with the optional Lambo motor is 100,000 lbs = over $ 160,000) So, you can keep the carbon fiber and give me plastic plus a cool $ 50,000 and even more when compared to the Italian cars. And you'll still outrun them.

I hope the American Top Gear guys notice this and put together a bit of a bite-back show someday and show the cars for their true value.... which the corvette Z06 and ZR-1 are freakn GREAT entry level supercars simply because the price leaks down into the middle class realm, whereas the Italian supercars are out of reach.

Having said all of that, I love that English Top Gear show.... I don't think I've ever missed an episode.
Posted on: 2011/7/24 5:32

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.