Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
188 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Regular Production Order
Commonly known as RPO. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.

Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Register To Post

Calm Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

It was our local A&W for me.

Winnipeg in the 60's & 70's was a good place to grow up. City of maybe 550,000 and mostly nice people. A pretty happening 'gear head' town. Had an IHRA race track 1 hour East at the time. Got alot of racers from Minnesota and N.Dakota also. My buds were too nervous to run so they always let me race their cars. We'd work every night on them in my garage and cruise every weekend. BB chevelles, BB Nova, 440 cuda, 340 darts and my 63 Fury 426 wedge, 2-4 crossram, built, etc (factory). We'd hang at A&W then cruise one mile to North Perimeter Highway for some action. (I paced out two lampposts (for 1/4 mile +/-) and painted them with Dad's 1/2 can of house paint. Two weeks later the posts would be painted green by the city.....so off to Dad's pile of paint again. Did this for three summers.)

We were never bothered by the cops....some even watched. However, it all ended in 1973 when they decided to crack down and began charging any racing for 'reckless driving'. Automatic 3 month (min) driving ban. Figures, we thought....rubber impact bumpers, cats, low LOW powered new stuff. Hell in a hand basket, we thought! Plus we were growing up and planning our futures......still miss it awful.

-Rod
Posted on: 2011/8/24 2:28

JrRifleCoach Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

My greatest moments crusing came when the car showrooms would throw a set of dealer tags on a new 396 Chevelle or Hemi-Cuda or Superbird or AMX Rebel or a Z28 and let'em loose on Woodward Saturday nites. Friday nites were bitchin too.

Oh I yearn for the summers of 68 & 69 again.
Posted on: 2011/8/24 4:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
My greatest moments crusing came when the car showrooms would throw a set of dealer tags on a new 396 Chevelle or Hemi-Cuda or Superbird or AMX Rebel or a Z28 and let'em loose on Woodward Saturday nites. Friday nites were bitchin too.

Oh I yearn for the summers of 68 & 69 again.

Are you that old, Steve??? I figured you were only a few years older than me... not like 10+...

I was all of 3 in 1968, so any reference I have comes from stories my brothers have shared.

It does sound like a simpler and more viseral life... I will say that... And one I have no real connection to except for historical perspective.

By the time I was driving in 1981, the world had changed soooo much...
Posted on: 2011/8/24 5:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

JrRifleCoach Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Well son,

I listened to Jimi Hendrix, Who, Led Zepplin and the like when the bands played 'em in local theatres/concerts. Hung around the showrooms and sat in new those "Muscle Cars" when they were brand new, affordable and smelled beautiful!

Graduated HS in 70. I could gas up, take my date out for a show and later a burger/fries/coke all for a $5 dollar bill. Protested the war in Chicago at the DNC in 68.

For those of us that have touched, tasted, seen and smelled those times, today sometimes seems like a big waste of time.
Posted on: 2011/8/24 6:18
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

Ultraman Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14724 Posts

It was a great time to be into cars and such but the times they were a changing.....race riots, war protests, the war itself where 50K of our best died for nothing. Peace and love, free love and all the complications that brought on. Drugs and all that has turned into.

I graduated in 68 and we were insulated from a lot of that out here in Huskerland. I went to college so the draft was not an issue then the lottery came in and I drew a number in the 300's and so never did have to worry about that. I do so appreciate all the men and women that did get drafted or voluntered to serve, they are the real hero's.

That was back when it was a huge deal when Bill Cosby shared a starring role on I Spy with Robert Culp....just because he was black. I like to romanticise that time and I did have great summers cruising and partying and my life was very simple back then.....but we were in a bubble and there was bad stuff going on all around.....I don't think I would want to go back there. It's better now.....and we have LS motors......niiiiice!
Posted on: 2011/8/24 13:18

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

JeffK Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Shoot, my car memories are not that exciting.

Dad had a few fun cars when I was younger.

'82 TransAm I don't think I ever got to drive it.
'88 TransAm 5spd, everytime I drove it something broke. Cam went on it one time.
'88 Vette that I drove more than he did for a year or so when we moved to Florida.

My cars were an eclectic mix
First car was a '78 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the 4.3 V8, it was a dog but the interior was so comfortable everyone wanted to ride.
Then I got into Fieros. First one was an '84 4speed, old man hit me driving to school one morning so I got an '85 with a 5spd. then I bought a wrecked '88 GT 5spd with T-tops and started working on it. In the meanwhile I had an '86 Fiero GT, a beat to death '87 TransAm, a low rider Mazda pickup, a '58 Willy's CJ5, an 87 S-10 Blazer and an 90 Grandam GT all before I turned 21.

The funny part is that I bought the Willys for a grand, had new paint, new top, new tires and wheels but the guy couldn't get it to run. I put a new homemade gasket on the float bowl and it ran like a champ. Would go through 3-4ft snow drifts like nothing. Top speed was about 45 though. I traded that for the TransAm, then traded the TransAm for the Mazda truck. Then sold the Mazda for $1500.

Nothing as exciting as the cars you guys or my dad grew up with.
Posted on: 2011/8/24 15:11

BillH Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Hummm,
first car - 60 Chev 348, 4 speed
56 Chev wagon - 283, 3 speed
60 Pontiac - 389, 3 duces
Corvette
Corvette
Corvette
Corvette
Corvette
Corvette
Corvette

Seems to be a pattern developing in my garage.
Posted on: 2011/8/24 15:25

Vetron87 Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Learn to drive in a 57 chevy
First car 58 Corvette
61 Chevy 409
64 Pontiac 326 LeMans
67 Chevelle SS
Sold them before I left to Vietnam
After Vietnam
70 Charger Hemi
72 Corvette
67 Corvette
69 Porsche 911
58 Dodge Power Wagon
67 Triumph Bonneville
71 Volswagen with a Porsche exhaust system
49 Chevy PU truck
That was the first year after I left the Navy. Cars were cheap and trucks were cheaper yet.
20 years ago I got serious about keeping the cars I bought
55 Chevy
57 Chevy PU
67 BSA
87 Corvette
Posted on: 2011/8/24 15:36

WW7 Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
A favorite cruise spot where I grew up was Rt2/Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie, Maryland. This stretch of straight road with businesses and stoplights about every 1/4 to 1/2 mile was just too tempting. Everyone would hang out at the local Burger King and congregate at a large parking lot across the street. There was another road about two miles from there that was called "dump road" and that is where the street races were held. It was a long flat road leading to the land fill. By the early eighties the cops were patrolling regularly and eventually broke up the Burger King hang out. I understand that there are now big cruise-ins in the big parking lot across the street from Burger King now. Its a Pep Boys super store now and some other strip mall stores.

Don,This is cool, this is the same place I cruised..I lived in the Glen Burnie area from 1969-1977,and use to hang at the same Burger King that you did..I use to work at "Wolfe's body shop" on the corner in Ferndale and my parents owned the "Linthicum Seafood House" on Hammonds Ferry rd a few miles away..We use to race right in front of the Burger King until the cops started messing with us. I probably saw you there a few times. I had a "Gold 67 396 Chevelle" I use to race...Small world...Wayne
Posted on: 2011/8/24 15:38

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Ah.. the 60's
Music was great. Favorite song to beat the snot out my car was Spencer Davis "Gimme some Lovin" being played loud through my Craig 8 track tape player. Animals"we gotta get out of this place" activates the war brain cells along with Paint it Black by the Stones. Won the draft lottery # 4 even though I was in college that winning number trumped my college deferment. Cool. I loved those times minus the war stuff and even that was memorable in an odd way.
Posted on: 2011/8/24 15:43

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
67 BSA

If you tell me that was a Spitfire, I'm gonna be pissed.
Posted on: 2011/8/24 15:58

biggrizzly Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

WW7 wrote:
Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
A favorite cruise spot where I grew up was Rt2/Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie, Maryland. This stretch of straight road with businesses and stoplights about every 1/4 to 1/2 mile was just too tempting. Everyone would hang out at the local Burger King and congregate at a large parking lot across the street. There was another road about two miles from there that was called "dump road" and that is where the street races were held. It was a long flat road leading to the land fill. By the early eighties the cops were patrolling regularly and eventually broke up the Burger King hang out. I understand that there are now big cruise-ins in the big parking lot across the street from Burger King now. Its a Pep Boys super store now and some other strip mall stores.

Don,This is cool, this is the same place I cruised..I lived in the Glen Burnie area from 1969-1977,and use to hang at the same Burger King that you did..I use to work at "Wolfe's body shop" on the corner in Ferndale and my parents owned the "Linthicum Seafood House" on Hammonds Ferry rd a few miles away..We use to race right in front of the Burger King until the cops started messing with us. I probably saw you there a few times. I had a "Gold 67 396 Chevelle" I use to race...Small world...Wayne

Wayne, that is pretty cool! I probably didn't start hanging out there until the summer of 1977 when I bought the first Camaro. It was a red 77 Z28. I had some work done on it at the speed shop up on B&A Blvd past Glen Burnie High School, going towards Marley Creek on the left side. I can't remember the name of those guys but they had a couple nice race cars that they raced at Capitol Raceway. They got my box stock 1977 Z28 Camaro to run in the low 14s with minimal mods and stock exhaust.

I hung out there for a few years then got hooked up with a chick and never got back there again... then off to College in '84 which ended it all for a long time.

Attach file:

jpg  77-Z28.jpg (156.80 KB)
342_4e5533bcf1ea8.jpg 500X251 px
Posted on: 2011/8/24 17:26

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
67 BSA

BSA lighting
Posted on: 2011/8/24 18:12

JeffK Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Nice Camaro Don.

I had an '81 that I bought before I had my license, sold it not too long after I got my license though.

This thread is bringing back so many memories. Dirtbikes, Snowmobiles..

That's Rod for starting this one. Put a smile on my face all day.
Posted on: 2011/8/24 18:13

flyboy Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Not exactly H.S. but in 1971, I was 22, in the Army and stationed at Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, Alabama.
This 283 powered '50 Merc. was my ride. The base sticker is visible on the bumper.
Cruising the back roads of Alabama and the roadhouse bars with my army buddy Joe Baker in the Merc. was something else.
There was one rural place called the Chicken Shack that was a real time warp. Those were great days.

Attach file:

jpg  my '50 1971.jpg (103.32 KB)
1735_4e553fafd8ebe.jpg 568X426 px
Posted on: 2011/8/24 18:17

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
67 BSA

BSA lighting

Worth $25k today.
Posted on: 2011/8/24 20:33

Calm Re: What street/City did you cruise in High School?
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
Nice Camaro Don.

I had an '81 that I bought before I had my license, sold it not too long after I got my license though.

This thread is bringing back so many memories. Dirtbikes, Snowmobiles..

That's Rod for starting this one. Put a smile on my face all day.

And THAT is what compelled me to post it! I was SO reminiscing while reading the HAMB board. Those times, I think, are an important part of us all and NEED to be recognized for the effect they had on each of us.

I enjoy rethinking/reliving(in my memory)my past experiences.
Posted on: 2011/8/25 5:35

« 1 (2)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.