Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4+3
This is the manual transmission from 1984-1988.

It’s a Borg-Warner Super T-10 with a planetary overdrive attached to the tail shaft housing.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Where I'm currently living and working on my car, the garage is a small one car garage. It is not insulated on the outside wall and has a cheesy garage door. Needless to say it is cold as sheet out there. I have a kerosene heater but it stinks to high heaven. I was wondering if there is any better alternatives to heating the garage while I'm out there that wont burn down the house and won't cost the electric bill $300 extra this month.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 22:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

A nice little wood burning pot-bellied stove? An old friend of mine's dad had a wood shop out in their garage. I would say the garage was built late in the nineteenth century. Almost big enough for a large car... But a band saw, lathe and other goodies fit nicely.

A stove a little bigger than a beer keg kept that place toasty!
Posted on: 2008/1/3 22:42

biggrizzly RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
4543 Posts

That would be cool, but this is a little garage. Barely enogh room for me and the car and my tool boxes. Also this is temporary for two more months. This is a rental house so I can't vent the stove.

However, I'd love a wood stove in the garage. That would be awesome!
Posted on: 2008/1/3 22:45

CSS996 RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Hmmm...

That's a tough scenario.

Are you looking to keep the car warm, or just make it tolerable for you to work in there?

I think an electric heater is probably the safest and least invasive thing, but yeah, it will cost to run it. But if you can't vent the stove, and kerosene stinks I'm gonna say electric.

We used to have this little ceramic heater. It was about 8 inches square. You could heat a bedroom with that sucker.

I also have a little propane camping heater. It looks almost like an audio speaker, but the cone part is flat on the wide end. You just fasten a small bottle of propane to it, and light the front of it. It doesn't smell too bad, but you would probably want a little ventilation.

We had a major snowstorm a couple years back, and our power went out. We held out for about six hours, then started to freeze. So we bought the propane camping heater as a last resort. We used it right in our damn living room for a couple hours. We just opened a window a crack.

Worst case scenario is that you are cold for a couple months, I guess. Best of luck though.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 22:54

teebee RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

I don't know of too many options that will fit your circumstances, Don. The electric is the most viable option, but those CAN run the bill up. A fiend of mine has a little electric heater that he says works great and he said, it didn't really affect his bill (actually his wife told me it didn't make a significant difference in their bill). I would guess you have to decide if you can deal with the cold for a couple of months or handle some higher electric bills for a little bit.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 23:03

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

4543 Posts

Well I have been sick with a upper respiratory infection going on a week now. I had planed on working on the car while I was off but that went to hell. I have gone out to the garage twice today and it is frigid in there. I might have to take a ride over to Lowe's and see what kind of options we have availabe these days. I know that technology keeps improving. I might be able to find a nice little heater that won't kill the electric meter.

Thanks all
Posted on: 2008/1/3 23:25

brut RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

The best thing I ever bought was a torpedo Proane Heater. Not sure onthe BTU, but it heats fast. I use my outdorr grill tank on it. PLus around here, Home Depot has a 24 hour tank exchange. $16.80 right now for a full tank. Can't beat it. Doesn't take long at all to heat..especially in your small garage.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 23:36

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Until you insulate the outside wall (along with a nice insulated garage door), all the heat you put in there is just going to leak right out.

Of course, you can add a lot of heat and it will be warm. But in order to do that your going to be spending a lot of money (Propane, Electric, etc.) None of it is free.

A wood stove is probably the cheapest (if you can cut your own wood). If you have to buy wood, then it's not so cheap either.

You need to stop the cold air from coming in, and what heated air you add from whatever source you choose from leaking out.

Also, keep in mind it's a very bad idea to heat a well sealed space with kerosene or propane. Carbon Monoxide is deadly.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 23:45

Livin_the_dream RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

I saw an electric infra-red heater at Home Depot . But I have to agree that heating it is going to be hard to do. Your best bet may be one of the torpedo heaters like Brut suggested
Posted on: 2008/1/4 1:53

4543 Posts

You all are right on. It is even hard to figure out a good place to actually sit the damn thing so its not in the way and don't burn the paint off my fenders or catch the garage on fire!! Winter Sucks!!
Posted on: 2008/1/4 1:56

Qack RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Quote:
The best thing I ever bought was a torpedo Proane Heater. Not sure onthe BTU, but it heats fast. I use my outdorr grill tank on it. PLus around here, Home Depot has a 24 hour tank exchange. $16.80 right now for a full tank. Can't beat it. Doesn't take long at all to heat..especially in your small garage.

:me2:

I purchased a Reddy forced air propane heater (see http://www.masterdist.net/reddyheater ... cedair/propane/rlp30.html) for about $100 from Home Depot. It's 30,000 BTUs per hour and does a very nice job of heating up my garage, which has an uninsulated 16' steel door to let in the cold.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 2:08

4543 Posts

Thanks for the link. I have seen these at Costco and other discount places recently. I never paid much attention. Actually the bottle top variety might work just fine for the closed area I have to work in.

Edit:---------------
Here's what I think I'll get. Not bad for $100

Lowes - Reddy Heater
Posted on: 2008/1/4 2:23

SpectatorRacing RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I have a 40K BTU propane torpedo as well. I also have a smaller camping heater that runs on the 1 lb propane cylinders.

I heat things up nice and cozy with the torpedo, then switch over to the smaller one and put it near where I"m working. Keeps the local area warm for a couple more hours without burning through a whole 20 lb tank of propane.

If I'm not done I'll crank up the big heater for another 10 minutes or so...

I think you get the idea. Works great, is cheap, and doesn't cost much at all. I worked on the car all weekend (although it wasn't this cold) and used about 1/2 a tank.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 2:38

bogus RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

whatever happened to kerosene heaters?

A friend of mine would fire his up and the garage was an oven within an hour. Heat leak my ass.

The modern ones have catalysts that burn off the bad things and they barely smell. If you are worried about smell, turn it off, and walk it out side immediately.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 2:48

Qack RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Quote:

A friend of mine would fire his up and the garage was an oven within an hour. Heat leak my ass.

The modern ones have catalysts that burn off the bad things and they barely smell. If you are worried about smell, turn it off, and walk it out side immediately.

I used a kerosene heater long before I purchased the forced-air propane heater. My kerosene heater ( a Kerosun) was 25,000 btu/hour and the propane heater is 30,000 btu/hour so they are pretty close in capability. The downsides of the kerosene heater, imho, are: 1) I would need to stock kerosene. Since I already have propane for my gas grill, it gave me a good excuse to have a second 20 lb propane tank, and 2) Since the kerosene heater I had did not have a blower, it heated the garage unevenly. It would be really hot near the heater and cold on the other side of the car. I know there are kerosene heaters with blowers but they aren't very common.

With that said, I was a happy user of the kerosene heater for about 20 years up in Connecticut and would still be using it except that I moved. It was easier to sell the heater then move it myself. The movers wouldn't touch it. Now that I have used both, I recommend the propane heater with a blower.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 2:59

4543 Posts

I own an older KerOSun heater that really puts of a lot of heat. Mine is a little tricky getting the best flame on it to burn as clean as it should. If I start it outside and get the flame burning clean and hot first, it might be worth a try.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 3:06

Touringmike RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Quote:

I'll go ya one better.

30 years ago, I busted the gear reducer on the hand recoil starter, on my Yamaha GP633 Snowmobile. In the middle of a Wi. winter, of course.
The reducer was just that, to make it easier to hand pull the the cord to get it started (No electric start back then)

Took it to my uncle's house, to have the engine case Heliarc welded (It was an aluminum case, the reducer gear shaft pushed thru the case, cracking it. He had a window unit in the garage that looked just like a window mounted A/C unit, and it ran on fuel oil.
My uncle also had a side business removing fuel oil tanks from homes that had converted to natural gas, so he got all his fuel for free, actually got paid to take it away.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 3:53

4543 Posts

Quote:

Bogus, thanks for the kick in the rear. I went down the basement and dug out the Kerosun heater. Went out to the shed found the empty blue jug. Drove around for two days looking for K-1 (wow that stuff is expensive these days). I cleaned the mantle and stoked it up a little while ago. Once I burned off the initial gunk, it seems to be burning nice and clean. I'll see how well it heats that garage. It was still pretty cold out there this morning, but we are supposed to get up in the mid to high 40s or even 50s today.

Cheers
Posted on: 2008/1/5 15:52

4543 Posts

BTW - Its been burnin' for two hours and nice and toasty warm.
Cool - don't have to spend any more cash
Posted on: 2008/1/5 18:27

sprint7677 RE:Most effective / efficient way to heat the small garage
Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Quote:

That is what I'm using in a three car garage it works great heats it up in no time
Posted on: 2008/1/15 5:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.