Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
237 user(s) are online (209 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Fredbird How to remove Side Bolster from Sport Seat...
Senior Guru
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

I need to safely remove either the side bolster (You know the kind that you can adjust in and out) from the sport seat or just remove the leather cover from it.

Of course... Like everyone elses, my 1991 Vette Side bolster is worn and torn. I'm wanting to take it off so i can use it as a pattern and make a new cover for it.

Anyone done this?
Posted on: 2011/9/30 4:01

flyboy Re: How to remove Side Bolster from Sport Seat...
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

...Seat Covers
1984-1993 STANDARD SEATS

The standard seat cushions and backs are clipped into the fiberglass shell. They are the easiest to work with. The seat covers are held on the foam with hog rings. The outer perimeter hog rings must be removed, then the seat cover material pulled back to expose the inner hog rings. After removing all of the hog rings the seat cover can be removed. Place the new seat cover next to the old seat cover and note the position of the wire reinforcements in the original seat cover. I prefer to use a seat cover installation kit that comes with new hog rings and wire reinforcements. Install the reinforcements in the new seat cover then install on foam. The most common question is: Can I use the old seat foam? New foam will make for a better fitting cover and the seat cover will last longer. Most of foam I see is really bad by this time. Most of the Corvette interior suppliers have seat covers mounted on foam and the price is reasonable. Simply remove your seat cushions and backs and install the new pieces.
1984-1993 SPORT SEATS

These seats have a removable seat cushion but the seat back is integral with the seat shell. These seats require removal to install the seat back cushion covers. Also, the lumbar portions of the seat controls are in the seat cushion. The sport seat has a metal reinforcement in the seat cushion foam that must be installed in the new foam. The seat cover cushion replacement is similar to the standard seat cushion. The cover must be installed properly and then the switch cutouts must be carefully done.

The seat back consists of three pieces: the two outside bolsters and the inner cushion. The outside bolsters and inner cushion are held in with hog rings that run up and down the inner part of bolster. The outside part of the bolster is held with staples. It is stapled to the seat shell. All hog rings must be removed. Then the outer bolsters are removed by prying the outside edge off the seat shell. The inner cushion is clipped at the top to a retainer; this can be removed by pushing the seat cushion in on each side while pulling outward. The bottom of the cushion has hog rings that must be removed. They are accessed from the rear of the seat. Once all the hog rings are removed the cushion can be removed. There are three clear hoses connected to the lumbar support bladder that must be removed with the cushion. You will find that most seats do not have these hoses connected anymore because the bladders have turned to dust.

Quite a few of the sport seats have been converted to standard seats because the sport seats are not reliable. You can do this by deleting the lumbar control switches from the seat cushion and leaving everything else intact.
1994-1996

These seats require removal to install the seat back cushions. The seat cushions come out like the early cars. Covers are changed like standard seats.
Tips:

* New foam and an installation kit should always be used.

* Check seat cover material for defects before installing.

* If installing new bladders, beware of any sharp objects or areas that may damage the bladder.

* If the seat cushion supports are rusty or rotted on a 1984-1989 seat they can be replaced with an elastic strap and hook assembly. These straps were used on 1990 and up cars. The elastic material can be found at an upholstery shop. The hooks can be fabricated from 1/8” wire stock.

* If you plan on restoring your sport seats to original specification, cut an “X” in the material where the seat switches go into the seat cushion. Do not remove any material from the “X,” this will prevent the material from pulling out on the sides. Tuck the material in carefully and then install the bezel. Use care when tightening the bezel; it can be cracked easily.

Category: C4 (84-96), Interior, Tech Tips

Tags: C4, console, dash, Interior, seats

Short link: http://corvette.cc/Q
Subscribe to CC Tech

If what they say here is true, then the bottom bolster is integral with the rest of the cover, the back bolsters can be separated. Midamerica motorworks has a video on their website that is helpful. Replacing the worn bolster piece would take a fair amount of skill, I think.
Posted on: 2011/9/30 12:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: How to remove Side Bolster from Sport Seat...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Seat bottom, seat back or both?

The seat bottom is easy to remove, the back - not so easy.

I can post a link on getting the back cushions off the shell if you need it.
Posted on: 2011/9/30 14:19

Fredbird Re: How to remove Side Bolster from Sport Seat...
Senior Guru
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

I Need to remove the pictured piece...

As you can see, my seats are in great condition except for the driver's side adjustable bolster.

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Seat bottom, seat back or both?

The seat bottom is easy to remove, the back - not so easy.

I can post a link on getting the back cushions off the shell if you need it.

Attach file:

jpg  Side Bolster.jpg (297.63 KB)
4126_4e85dde29665d.jpg 900X675 px
Posted on: 2011/9/30 15:19

Fredbird Re: How to remove Side Bolster from Sport Seat...
Senior Guru
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

So, since mine is a 1991 sport seat, it looks like if I remove the seat back... I should be able to get in a position to remove the side bolster pieces...

Correct?

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
...Seat Covers
1984-1993 STANDARD SEATS

The standard seat cushions and backs are clipped into the fiberglass shell. They are the easiest to work with. The seat covers are held on the foam with hog rings. The outer perimeter hog rings must be removed, then the seat cover material pulled back to expose the inner hog rings. After removing all of the hog rings the seat cover can be removed. Place the new seat cover next to the old seat cover and note the position of the wire reinforcements in the original seat cover. I prefer to use a seat cover installation kit that comes with new hog rings and wire reinforcements. Install the reinforcements in the new seat cover then install on foam. The most common question is: Can I use the old seat foam? New foam will make for a better fitting cover and the seat cover will last longer. Most of foam I see is really bad by this time. Most of the Corvette interior suppliers have seat covers mounted on foam and the price is reasonable. Simply remove your seat cushions and backs and install the new pieces.
1984-1993 SPORT SEATS

These seats have a removable seat cushion but the seat back is integral with the seat shell. These seats require removal to install the seat back cushion covers. Also, the lumbar portions of the seat controls are in the seat cushion. The sport seat has a metal reinforcement in the seat cushion foam that must be installed in the new foam. The seat cover cushion replacement is similar to the standard seat cushion. The cover must be installed properly and then the switch cutouts must be carefully done.

The seat back consists of three pieces: the two outside bolsters and the inner cushion. The outside bolsters and inner cushion are held in with hog rings that run up and down the inner part of bolster. The outside part of the bolster is held with staples. It is stapled to the seat shell. All hog rings must be removed. Then the outer bolsters are removed by prying the outside edge off the seat shell. The inner cushion is clipped at the top to a retainer; this can be removed by pushing the seat cushion in on each side while pulling outward. The bottom of the cushion has hog rings that must be removed. They are accessed from the rear of the seat. Once all the hog rings are removed the cushion can be removed. There are three clear hoses connected to the lumbar support bladder that must be removed with the cushion. You will find that most seats do not have these hoses connected anymore because the bladders have turned to dust.

Quite a few of the sport seats have been converted to standard seats because the sport seats are not reliable. You can do this by deleting the lumbar control switches from the seat cushion and leaving everything else intact.
1994-1996

These seats require removal to install the seat back cushions. The seat cushions come out like the early cars. Covers are changed like standard seats.
Tips:

* New foam and an installation kit should always be used.

* Check seat cover material for defects before installing.

* If installing new bladders, beware of any sharp objects or areas that may damage the bladder.

* If the seat cushion supports are rusty or rotted on a 1984-1989 seat they can be replaced with an elastic strap and hook assembly. These straps were used on 1990 and up cars. The elastic material can be found at an upholstery shop. The hooks can be fabricated from 1/8” wire stock.

* If you plan on restoring your sport seats to original specification, cut an “X” in the material where the seat switches go into the seat cushion. Do not remove any material from the “X,” this will prevent the material from pulling out on the sides. Tuck the material in carefully and then install the bezel. Use care when tightening the bezel; it can be cracked easily.

Category: C4 (84-96), Interior, Tech Tips

Tags: C4, console, dash, Interior, seats

Short link: http://corvette.cc/Q
Subscribe to CC Tech

If what they say here is true, then the bottom bolster is integral with the rest of the cover, the back bolsters can be separated. Midamerica motorworks has a video on their website that is helpful. Replacing the worn bolster piece would take a fair amount of skill, I think.
Posted on: 2011/9/30 15:21

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

[quote]
Fredbird wrote:
So, since mine is a 1991 sport seat, it looks like if I remove the seat back... I should be able to get in a position to remove the side bolster pieces...

Correct?

[quote]
flyboy wrote:
...Seat Covers
1984-1993 STANDARD SEATS

1984-1993 SPORT SEATS

That's how it sounds. I have had the std. seats apart on my '91, but the sport seats sound a bit more complex.
Posted on: 2011/9/30 15:33

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

You could sew a patch in and go from there if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction.

Attach file:

jpg  P1010004.JPG (118.26 KB)
1735_4e85e207515fc.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2011/9/30 15:37

BillH Re: How to remove Side Bolster from Sport Seat...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Fredbird wrote:

Correct?

Yep, here's how. I'd suggest you make a tool like I did, it could be made out of anything including a wood dowel, the half circle ground in the tool makes it way easier to push in the clips.
If you gently pry up the cusion, you can see the clips. I put a small piece of hose, split down the middle over the plastic seat back so I wouldn't scratch it when prying up the cushion. Pry the cushion up just enough to see the clip and insert the tool.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... id=133283#forumpost133283
Posted on: 2011/9/30 16:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.